Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 96

Thread: Shared Franchise?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
    You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
    The wall in front of the fan wearing the white cap was the Dodgers' bullpen.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.
    Funny you mention that. I remember my mother asking how the opposing player at first base (Big Klu) could wear no sleeves at all, as it was so chilly.

    Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Staten Island, NYC
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post

    Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
    No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
    You know, I was gonna guess April. It appears rather cold for the latter part of July.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,635
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?
    And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,983
    Roosevelt Stadium/Dodger trivia:
    *Carl Furillo hit the 1st Dodger HR there.
    *Frank Robinson hit the very first HR there.
    *Both Furillo and Robinson's HR's were hit at the July 25,1956 game (Snider's was the 3rd)
    *The Pirates never made it to JC in 1957. The Phillies played there twice that summer.
    *The Dodgers played the Cleveland Indians (1956 exhibition) there and Sal Maglie pitched for the Indians (Bob Feller too).
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ by way of Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyhop View Post
    The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.
    I agree...........it ain't happenin'
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.
    Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

    Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

    Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by VIBaseball View Post
    And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.
    Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

    If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

    Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

    Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.
    Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
    Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

    If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.
    The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by tonypug View Post
    Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
    I got a PM from the moderator asking me to not "get personal".

    I would ask that the same rules and courtesy be applied to you as well.

    Or am I expected to fight with both hands behind my back while you are free to punch?

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by tonypug View Post
    The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
    OK, that's true. But they did have to go to court over it. The Baltimore Ravens became, essentially, an "expansion" team.

    I can imagine that you guys in NY would love to see that happen to the "LA Dodgers"!

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    I got a PM from the moderator asking me to not "get personal".

    I would ask that the same rules and courtesy be applied to you as well.

    Or am I expected to fight with both hands behind my back while you are free to punch?
    No need for that. Your fantasy humor wasn't appreciated by some. The response may have been a tad coarse, and that shouldn't be tolerated.

    No punches allowed.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
    OK, that's true. But they did have to go to court over it. The Baltimore Ravens became, essentially, an "expansion" team.

    I can imagine that you guys in NY would love to see that happen to the "LA Dodgers"!
    Too bad the precedent wasn't set in 1958. That way the Mets would be the Dodgers, the Brewers would be the Braves, the Ravens would be the Colts, and the Nationals would be the Senators. Oh, wait, never mind on that one.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Too bad the precedent wasn't set in 1958. That way the Mets would be the Dodgers, the Brewers would be the Braves, the Ravens would be the Colts, and the Nationals would be the Senators. Oh, wait, never mind on that one.
    That's a good point on Washington. Both the Twins *and* the Rangers have "gotten out of [that] Dodge." I suppose the Expos could re-appear; but this would be a nightmarish spectacle.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?
    Too far... I live in De. ever been to pitts burgh? I have, I have hated the pirates ever since many of them admitted to drug use during the 79 season...
    I'm assuming your a dodger fan?? just assumimg mind you...for all I know you could be a giant fan of the baseball variety...would explain the discord... would you drive 5 hrs or more 1 way to a game?? maybe if it was a world series game...I'd do it.. if the brooks were playing away or I lived 5 hrs away...from Brooklyn...

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    delaware
    Posts
    727
    Here ya go...battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •