• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • penncentralpete
    Abe Stark suits me fine
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
    You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

• penncentralpete
      Abe Stark suits me fine
      • Jan 2006

I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
      Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
      The wall in front of the fan wearing the white cap was the Dodgers' bullpen.
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

• Let's Go Mets!
        NY/Staten Island Yankees!
        • May 2008

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
        You can tell from that photo that it was 1956 (World Champion pennant from the previous season), and it must have been chilly (the way the fans are dressed). Cool pic.
        Funny you mention that. I remember my mother asking how the opposing player at first base (Big Klu) could wear no sleeves at all, as it was so chilly.

Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
        Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM.
        Let's Go Mets!
        New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

• Let's Go Mets!
          NY/Staten Island Yankees!
          • May 2008

Hmmmm, could this picture be from the game played on 7/25//56?
          No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
          Let's Go Mets!
          New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

• penncentralpete
            Abe Stark suits me fine
            • Jan 2006

No such luck. I just double checked and it's from April 19, 1956
            You know, I was gonna guess April. It appears rather cold for the latter part of July.

Comment

• Trickyhop
              New Cheney
              • Jul 2008

The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.

Comment

• VIBaseball
                Mets/Brooklyn Dodgers fan
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?
                And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.

Comment

• penncentralpete
                  Abe Stark suits me fine
                  • Jan 2006

Roosevelt Stadium/Dodger trivia:
                  *Carl Furillo hit the 1st Dodger HR there.
                  *Frank Robinson hit the very first HR there.
                  *Both Furillo and Robinson's HR's were hit at the July 25,1956 game (Snider's was the 3rd)
                  *The Pirates never made it to JC in 1957. The Phillies played there twice that summer.
                  *The Dodgers played the Cleveland Indians (1956 exhibition) there and Sal Maglie pitched for the Indians (Bob Feller too).

Comment

• penncentralpete
                    Abe Stark suits me fine
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Trickyhop View Post
                    The shared franchise will happen the same day Milwaukee gives Seattle the Pilots back.
                    I agree...........it ain't happenin'

Comment

• jnakamura
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                      And in the view of many here, the Los Angeles Pirates would be entirely appropriate.
                      Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.
                      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                      - Walt Whitman

Comment

• BornthedaythebumswontheWS
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                        Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.

Comment

• tonypug
                          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                          Bwahahaha - Funny man you are.

Actually, Pittsburgh would get the Dodgers, the Pirates would move to Tampa (They'd have the Buccaneers and Pirates), L.A. would get the Rays (More sunshine in L.A. then in Tampa) and the Yankees would move here to Portland, Oregon, just for the hell of it.

Since NY would be left with one team, the Mets would change their name to the Modgerankees.
                          Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
                          Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                          www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• tonypug
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
                            Los Angeles Pirates! That is a good one. It made me laugh.

If a Brooklyn Dodger franchise is desirable, it would have to be a "new" one; but it would be cool if they could--just like the Cleveland Browns did--win back all the "rights" to the "old" team.
                            The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
                            Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                            www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• jnakamura
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
                              Whatever it is that your smoking, you need to quit.
                              I got a PM from the moderator asking me to not "get personal".

I would ask that the same rules and courtesy be applied to you as well.

Or am I expected to fight with both hands behind my back while you are free to punch?
                              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                              - Walt Whitman

Comment

• BornthedaythebumswontheWS
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
                                The Browns didn't win back the rights, they retained the rights.
                                OK, that's true. But they did have to go to court over it. The Baltimore Ravens became, essentially, an "expansion" team.

I can imagine that you guys in NY would love to see that happen to the "LA Dodgers"!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X