Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shared Franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    Suppose the L.A. Dodgers moved to New Jersey, but the owners decided to call them the New Jersey Dodgers.
    Be OK with me. If it couldn't be Brooklyn Dodgers or New York Dodgers, New Jersey Dodgers is much better than Los Angeles Dodgers. Also, the Dodgers have a history in New Jersey. It's the place where I first saw them play.
    Let's Go Mets!
    New York Mets fan since 1962

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
    Be OK with me. If it couldn't be Brooklyn Dodgers or New York Dodgers, New Jersey Dodgers is much better than Los Angeles Dodgers. Also, the Dodgers have a history in New Jersey. It's the place where I first saw them play.
    A history of being booed in New jersey.

A history of being booed in New jersey.
    When I saw them play on July 25, 1956, I got the impression that the majority were Dodger fans.
    Even more so, when the Duke hit his walk off, game winning homer in the bottom of the ninth.

Penncentralpete, you were there. What did you think?
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    Let's Go Mets!

The night I saw them play on July 25, 1956, I got the impression that the majority were Dodger fans.

That game was against Cincinnati. What about when they played the Giants?

That game was against Cincinnati. What about when they played the Giants?
    I never saw the Dodgers play the Giants at Roosevelt Stadium, but I'm willing to bet Pete did.

He'll be around soon......
    Let's Go Mets!

Suppose the L.A. Dodgers moved to New Jersey, but the owners decided to call them the New Jersey Dodgers.
    more likey the h'boken dodgers....hobo get it??....dodgers come that close...an owner smart enough to engineer that move is not gonna be dumb enough to call them anything except the brooklyn dodgers...way too much money to be made...new york jets and giants both call jersey home....if it really came down to it...build the stadium in one of the townships willing to change their name to brooklyn...as long as it's close...old brooklyn fans ain't gonna gripe too much....ok so we'll gripe about something...sheesh, the 25 min ride to the park..ain't it shame...beats 3,0000 miles....have you seen rush hour?? in the 5 boroughs and Jersey?? still......battlin bake, the dodger dynamo...ps as a direct answer it wouldn't be long no matter what the teams name was before it was changed to brooklyn dodgers...get 'em close first we'll worry about da rest later....

When I saw them play on July 25, 1956, I got the impression that the majority were Dodger fans.
    Even more so, when the Duke hit his walk off, game winning homer in the bottom of the ninth.

That particular game was thrilling. Duke hit one far into the night to give the Brooks their victory. Every voice seemed to be cheering loudly for both Snider and the Bums. The fans who came to see the Dodgers lose, silently streamed out the exits.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

the stands weren't empty were they.. people paid to see 'em...yes, I was one, ok, pop bought the tickets..and the dogs and the cokes...but honestly I went for the baseball...The brooklyn dodgers now would not be booed in New jersey maybe in flushing playing the mets.... you could always count on the duke...

I never saw the Dodgers play the Giants at Roosevelt Stadium, but I'm willing to bet Pete did.

He'll be around soon......
    I attended many of the Dodger games at Roosevelt Stadium those two summers. The "worst" I ever heard was the Giant game where I estimate the cheering/booing was 50/50.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Quote Originally Posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    the stands weren't empty were they.. people paid to see 'em...yes, I was one, ok, pop bought the tickets..and the dogs and the cokes...but honestly I went for the baseball...The brooklyn dodgers now would not be booed in New jersey maybe in flushing playing the mets.... you could always count on the duke...
    That game drew a wonderful crowd (23,454), was played in 2 hours and 1 minute. I was ten. Dad and I both wore our Dodger caps and sat behind 1st base. I had two hot dogs, two cokes and one ice cream cup (vanilla and chocolate). Purchased my '56 Dodger yearbook that night too. I remember the parking lot (at least where pop parked) was dirt. Frank Robinson batted SECOND in the Reds' lineup and homered off Newcombe for Cincy's only run.

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    That game drew a wonderful crowd (23,454), was played in 2 hours and 1 minute. I was ten. Dad and I both wore our Dodger caps and sat behind 1st base. I had two hot dogs, two cokes and one ice cream cup (vanilla and chocolate). Purchased my '56 Dodger yearbook that night too. I remember the parking lot (at least where pop parked) was dirt. Frank Robinson batted SECOND in the Reds' lineup and homered off Newcombe for Cincy's only run.
    .......still have the yearbook............
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inside Roosevelt Stadium....................(concourse)

We sat in section3 that night (July 25,1956)

Quote Originally Posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    ...get 'em close first we'll worry about da rest later....
    Ah, yes, but how close it close enough? Here's an idea--how about switching franchises with Pittsburgh? The Pittsburgh Dodgers--that's only what, a 5-6 hour drive?

Roosevelt Stadium in color.....................

The "shared" franchise thingy ain't gonna happen. The closest thing we're able to enjoy would be a "throwback game" at CitiField with the Mets wearing their pinstriped home uni's and the Dodgers wearing "Brooklyn" grays with a "B" on their caps.

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    Someone came into my father's office that morning and gave him 4 free tickets. My dad called my mother, and a few hours later my family was off to Roosevelt Stadium! It was my first baseball game. We sat down the right field line, about 10 rows behind the Dodger bull pen. When Labine warmed up in the 8th inning, my brother ran down to the fence, leaned over, and swiped Clem's warm up towel. My mom was not happy. When the game went into the bottom of the ninth tied, she expressed concern about how long we might be there, and then---POW---the Duke launches one over the right center field wall and the Dodgers win, 2-1! I can still see the ball clearing the wall. It was great!! As I told Jnakamura, it seemed most everyone was cheering for the Dodgers at Roosevelt Stadium.

We left the park and walked the street with many Cincinnat Red Legs, still in uniform, headed to their bus across the street. I still have the ticket stub and Dodger World Championship pennant I bought that night. It turned out to be my only Brooklyn Dodger game, although I probably watched a couple of hundred on TV.

So as I said, I could live with New Jersey Dodgers, as they have a history playing there.
    It certainly is a much better name than Los Angeles Dodgers, don't you think?
    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 08-04-2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Let's Go Mets!

Here's Duke Snider wearing a "shared franchise" cap.

Someone came into my father's office that morning and gave him 4 free tickets. My dad called my mother, and a few hours later my family was off to Roosevelt Stadium! It was my first baseball game. We sat down the right field line, about 10 rows behind the Dodger bull pen. When Labine warmed up in the 8th inning, my brother ran down to the fence, leaned over, and swiped Clem's warm up towel. My mom was not happy. When the game went into the bottom of the ninth tied, she expressed concern on how long we would be there, and then---POW---the Duke launches one over the right center field wall and the Dodgers win, 2-1! I can still see the ball clearing the wall. It was great!! As I told Jnakamura, it seemed most everyone was cheering for the Dodgers at Roosevelt Stadium.

We left the park and walked the street with many Cincinnat Red Legs, still in uniform, who were headed to their team bus across the street. I still have the ticket stub and Dodger World Championship pennant I bought that night. It turned out to be my only Brooklyn Dodger game, although I probably watched a couple of hundred on TV.

So as I said, I could live with New Jersey Dodgers, as they have a history playing there.
    It certainly is a much better name than Los Angeles Dodgers, don't you think?
    The Dodgers will never move anywhere in our lifetime. BUT, if they did move to New Jersey, they would most certainly (re-)become the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I love this picture because this is just about the same viewpoint we had of the game that night, although we sat a little closer
    Also, it's the same pennant I bought at the game (and still have).
    Let's Go Mets!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast