Thread: Ignore feature

Ignore feature

The ignore feature isn't effective when other users keep quoting the guy you have on your ignore list. There are patches out there that suppress the quotes as well as the posts for most forum software. Just a suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    The ignore feature isn't effective when other users keep quoting the guy you have on your ignore list. There are patches out there that suppress the quotes as well as the posts for most forum software. Just a suggestion.
    I'll pm this to the webmaster.

I kind of wish the ignore feature removed any evidence that the user had even made a post. Instead you get a stub in the thread that shows that this person is posting to it, which frequently causes me to wonder what he said (possibly about me) and renders the ignore functionality pointless.

--If you think what someone has to say is so worthless you don't want to see it then it should be easy to ignore any evidence of it. As a mod I don't have the luxury of putting posters on ignore. That doesn't mean I feel the need tp engage every bit of silliness that they may post though. If you don't feel like you can have a usefull and/or civil discussion with another member then don't engage them. Posts can be ignored even without using the ignore feature. Regardless of what the other party may have said to annoy you, dumping on them can only lead to negative consequences - and makes the thread unpleasant for everybody else.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SABR Matt View Post
    I kind of wish the ignore feature removed any evidence that the user had even made a post. Instead you get a stub in the thread that shows that this person is posting to it, which frequently causes me to wonder what he said (possibly about me) and renders the ignore functionality pointless.
    If for wihchever reason, you choose to put someone on "Ignore", then that person's posts are no longer visible to you, and that person cannot PM you. They will get their PM to you bounced back unread by you.

If you see their name being posted, you can either physically "ignore" that post, or if curiosity gets the best of you, then you can read it. However, the purpose of the "Ignore" feature is only defeated if you choose to get angry over anything said, or that you presume that the person is referring to you, if that person is only speaking in generalities, not to you specifically.

Enjoy your day.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

I'll take a look at some of the feature upgrades (which I don't really care for are they must be reinstalled during almost every upgrade / patch fix and sometimes they are not compatible with the new version). I've also forwarded your suggestion to the developers to consider adding that feature to a future upgrade...

Thanks,

Sean

Blog Entries
    I found a Greasemonkey script that will do roughly the same thing. Here's how it works:

1. You must be running Mozilla Firefox. If you're not, it's free and available at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox.

2. Install Greasemonkey. Greasemonkey is an add-on to Firefox that will allow you to install user-created scripts onto specified web pages. It is available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748.

3. Install this script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/46772

4. Click on "Tools", then "Greasemonkey", then "Manage User Scripts", then "Custom Ignore List for vBulletin", then edit the Blocked User variables (at the top, in quotes, first one defaults to "JolietJake") to whoever you like. It is case-sensitive, so be aware of that.

5. Spend time doing things other than reading the posts of people on your ignore list.

Enjoy!

Is it possible to privatize your posts so that individuals on your ignore list cannot read them?

Again, it would be great if there was software that enabled you to block people on your ignore list from reading your posts. Not a fan of users I want no part of, replying to my posts.
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 03-01-2013 at 12:56 AM.

The next time this site updates, it's imperative that the ignore feature enables you from blocking users on your ignore list from reading and replying to your posts. Tired of the harassment.

It makes me uncomfortable that a person who has admitted taken medication to treat mental fragility is able to read and reply to my posts.

Me thinks some of the members take the whole forum thing to personally. Perhaps growing a thicker skin might help.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Thick skin is one thing, but being harassed by someone who may be on or off medication is another thing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    It makes me uncomfortable that a person who has admitted taken medication to treat mental fragility is able to read and reply to my posts.
    I was on Paxil 20 years ago for about a year.

I can read your posts.

Deal with it.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

A little off-topic, but I found a way to use Adblock to block entire threads. The threads that I've blocked just appear as a blank space.

Thick skin is one thing, but being harassed by someone who may be on or off medication is another thing altogether.
    Oh please. No one's harassing you. The problem is that you have no intention of even making even the slightest attempt to engage anyone in an honest or intelligent discussion. You're only using this site as a soapbox for your opinions without any desire for an honest give and take rebuttal. When anyone tries to engage you with an opposing viewpoint you either ignore them, restate the same opinion without any intent on inviting a two-sided conversation or cry harassment.

Now you want to be able to pick and choose who is allowed read your posts? Good luck with that idea.
    - Walt Whitman

Why even respond? If the instigators on my ignore list were also unable to read and reply to my posts, there would be no unecessary conflict.

Why even respond?
    This is a discussion forum. You post something...people respond...you respond back....a discussion ensues....give and take.

All you want is a pulpit to sound off and either ignore or cry "harassment" when anyone responds with anything but high praise for your god-like opinions that you try and pass off as "indisputable facts".

If you don't want responses you shouldn't be posting in a discussion forum--you should rent a billboard.

-
    Last edited by jnakamura; 03-01-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    - Walt Whitman

The thing is, you can disagree with someone and engage in healthy, civil, thoughtful discussions. That unfortunately hasn't been the case with the individuals on my ignore list. They choose to make disparaging remarks every chance they get, antagonize and make condescending remarks that offer little substance to any potential conversation. That is too bad. That is why they are on the ignore list and hopefully again, there will be day where you could hide your posts from the individual/s on your ignore list. They create an unhealthy atmosphere.

If you see a quote, it's not like you'll turn into stone like looking at Medusa. Is it really that serious to some people?
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

You're treading very dangerous ground when you're going there. Another member's personal life should never be another member's concern, nor is it something to use against them.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI