Will 'Pat The Bat' Make A comeback In 2010?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philliesfiend55
    • Nov 2006

Will 'Pat The Bat' Make A comeback In 2010?

As a Phillies fan, I almost feel like I should apologize to Rays' fans for the year Pat Burrell is having for the Rays this year. Clearly what showed up in Tampa Bay fell far short of what was advertised.
    He did this once early in his Phillies' career. After having a career-high 37 homeruns in 2002, Burrell proceeded to have a terrible year where he hit around.190 or most of the next season and rallied to finish at a slightly less bleak .210. He came back to have some pretty good seasons since then, until his current troubles.

Many other hitters who spent all their career in one league have had terrible first years after switching to the other league. Often they have bounce back years in their second year in the new league after making adjustments. Their second years come back close to their career norms in batting average and productivity. (Ted Simmons in the early '80s, going from St.Louis-NL to Milwaukee when the Brewers were still in the American League, is a classic example. A .290s career hitter with the Cardinals, he hit about 100 points higher his second year in his new league after stinking up the joint in his first year with the Brewers).

I think that you might see signs of improvement late this season from Burrell and I think he'll have a good year next year in Tampa, if Rays' fans don't run him out of town first.

*Philly-brownsfan*
  • raysnbran
    Clubhouse Lawyer
    • Jan 2005

I remember panning the Phillies signing of 37 year old Raul Ibanez and letting Burrell walk, but it appears the brain trusts of the Phillies knew exactly what they were doing. Burrell looks lost at the plate. His swings are tentative and labored IMO. I could see him struggling the first go round of the AL pitchers, but he has looked anemic in his plate appearances. He was benched the previous 2 games to tonight for the immortal Willy Aybar. He is arguably one of the worst free agent signing in Rays history, right up there with Wilson Alvarez and Juan Guzman and Greg Vaughn.

If he can survive the boo birds in Philly, Rays fans are a piece of cake. They have called for his benching, but there's been no great uprising, or putting any For Sale signs on his lawn or anything like that. He has no trade value, so the Rays have to live and die with him thru 2010 until his contract runs out.
    Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Richard
      • Aug 2007

I think he is done in regards to being an effective player.

Comment

• raysnbran
        Clubhouse Lawyer
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Richard View Post
        Good call, Richard. Burrell DFA'ed today, Hank Blalock called up. One of the worst FA signings in Rays history, and they cannot afford these kind of mistakes...

After a few days and a few hours of speculation, what was first reported on this site early this morning is official; the Rays have called up Hank Blalock. To make room for Blalock, Pat Burrell has...
        Please visit http://sportsfeedia.com/ for the latest RSS feed updates on all your favorite sports and teams (my son created it and is the owner )

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
          xFIP?! I laugh at you!
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Richard View Post
          As a Giant: .288/.383/.500, 131 OPS+
          Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X