Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To colorize or not to colorize. That is the question.

Blog Entries
    Sec Taylor, sports editor of Des Moines Register (Iowa), 1914 - 1965

L-R: George Sisler, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, 1924 World Series.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    February 11, 1913, M'Alpin Hotel, NYC: National League baseball team owners/representatives:

Waldorf Hotel, New York City, December 13, 1911: National League baseball Executives' meeting:
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Colourization works well with some photographs and not so well in others, but as long as we have the originals, I don't see the harm in it.
    The Cuervo Gold, the fine Columbian, make tonight a wonderful thing.

Blog Entries
    Garry Herrmann/Ban Johnson: 1914 World Series, Fenway Park, Boston.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 12-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Awesome pics as always, Bill. The color ones bring these old-times back to life, IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, sincerely, pheasant.

One of the reasons I use color, for example, is the photo above. By adding sepia, and adjusting the brightness and contrast, you can actually see things that you can't in the original b/w.
    You can see the clothes. In the original, it looks black. So, after 100 years, our tools allow us to see things that were invisible for 100 years.

And THAT is a consideration that is hard to rationalize.
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 01-04-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    Dave Egan, Boston sports writer
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 07-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.

The second picture(sepia)is vastly superior!You can actually make out what that Knight of The Keyboard(Egan)is typing-TED WILLIAMS IS TOO ARROGANT AND IMMATURE...SOX WOULD BE BETTER OFF IF...

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Nimrod. Didn't think Egan was THAT tough on Teddy.

Here's a colorization I recently did of Otto Knabe

Otto Knabe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice job, CTrane!

Here's Kansas City Municipal Stadium colorized

KC_Municipal Stadium4 1966.jpg

Did this one today of Babe Martin 1945 St. Louis Browns

Also video of Babe at 90 years old playing baseball.
    Last edited by Dto7; 04-25-2012 at 06:14 PM.

As usual, I'm about 3 years late to this topic. However, I think it is worth noting that, from the time this thread was begun, the technology for home colorizing has improved tremendously. And some of the best programs out there are free.

The most popular free program, no doubt, is GIMP. And I generally use InstantPhotoColor (which has none of the bells and whistles--its a very simple program and that is it's best feature).

As to the philosophical question of whether to colorize or not, I vote absolutely. It is a way to bring the subject matter to life. I'm sorry, but B&W photography just looks flat to me. Look at CTrane's KC Municipal Stadium above. Would that look as delicious and life like in B&W? I think not. That's one brilliant piece of work, btw, far exceeding anything I would even attempt.

There are divisions within the colorizing community, too, though. There is a large school that prefers their colorizations to look like colorizations. I prefer as much reality and detail as is possible. For example, no human face is monochrome. The lips, especially, are always a different color--usually darker or pinker. But some feel this added element tends to look like the ballplayer is wearing lipstick. There's a fix for that, actually, but I just have to disagree in general because.....no human face is monochrome.

The larger the source material, the better. This is likely my best work to date--a Jimmy Piersall colorization I posted at Baseball Birthdays not long ago. There are something like 8 different flesh tones I've used here, counting the eyes and lips. The source material was a Mears auction, so the picture I had to work with was huge. And this one was done mostly in InstantPhotoColor, with a bit of the blending (not much) being done in GIMP.

Would I rather look at this than the original B&W? Yeah, I would.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esplanade View Post
    As usual, I'm about 3 years late to this topic. However, I think it is worth noting that, from the time this thread was begun, the technology for home colorizing has improved tremendously. And some of the best programs out there are free.

The most popular free program, no doubt, is GIMP. And I generally use InstantPhotoColor (which has none of the bells and whistles--its a very simple program and that is it's best feature).

As to the philosophical question of whether to colorize or not, I vote absolutely. It is a way to bring the subject matter to life. I'm sorry, but B&W photography just looks flat to me. Look at CTrane's KC Municipal Stadium above. Would that look as delicious and life like in B&W? I think not. That's one brilliant piece of work, btw, far exceeding anything I would even attempt.

There are divisions within the colorizing community, too, though. There is a large school that prefers their colorizations to look like colorizations. I prefer as much reality and detail as is possible. For example, no human face is monochrome. The lips, especially, are always a different color--usually darker or pinker. But some feel this added element tends to look like the ballplayer is wearing lipstick. There's a fix for that, actually, but I just have to disagree in general because.....no human face is monochrome.

The larger the source material, the better. This is likely my best work to date--a Jimmy Piersall colorization I posted at Baseball Birthdays not long ago. There are something like 8 different flesh tones I've used here, counting the eyes and lips. The source material was a Mears auction, so the picture I had to work with was huge. And this one was done mostly in InstantPhotoColor, with a bit of the blending (not much) being done in GIMP.

Would I rather look at this than the original B&W? Yeah, I would.
    Hi Esplanade, How are you? Welcome aboard! Thanks for making such a great post. I use photoshop and do not even know how to colorize. I would never call my efforts colorizing. I merely add a sepia tone of golden brown, and then add pinkish facial tint. That and adjust the contrast and brightness.

I am in awe of anyone who can colorize a baseball stadium with a grandstand of fans. How to colorize the clothes of a large crown looks bewildering. Just in awe of anyone who would even attempt that ambitious a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burgess View Post
    Hi Esplanade, How are you? Welcome aboard! Thanks for making such a great post. I use photoshop and do not even know how to colorize. I would never call my efforts colorizing. I merely add a sepia tone of golden brown, and then add pinkish facial tint. That and adjust the contrast and brightness.

I am in awe of anyone who can colorize a baseball stadium with a grandstand of fans. How to colorize the clothes of a large crown looks bewildering. Just in awe of anyone who would even attempt that ambitious a project.
    I was looking at these excellent images and did not see this as colorizing based on how you see old things on television colorized, but a wonderful effort so thank you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, WEB. I sincerely appreciate your appreciation. I do what I do so others might better enjoy the images of our cultural past. I remain neutral to the subject of true colorizing, both baseball images or films. I do not place my efforts into the 'colorizing' category.

Iron Davis 1912 New York Highlanders

This is one of my favorite Babe Ruth photos and I had to colorize it. I think it's from 1929?

Quote Originally Posted by Dto7 View Post
    This is one of my favorite Babe Ruth photos and I had to colorize it. I think it's from 1929?
    Excellent work Dto7!!!
    Great colors...very "photo real".
    Cheers! ~B

Quote Originally Posted by BSmile View Post
    Excellent work Dto7!!!
    Great colors...very "photo real".
    Cheers! ~B
    Thank you very much

great job. the eyes are the toughest part, right?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Blog Entries
    The grandstand is not easy. I think the Yankee uniform might be a lighter shade of navy blue. They look almost black in the photo.

Long time fan of baseball, but this is my first post. The reason- I do not like the artificial coloring, I have been a photographer for many years and the photo shop coloring ruins the etegrity of the photographers image.

I look at these old photos and cannot see the old school charm fences, because the faces, and arms are distracting me.

Stop faking these photos up, because it is nauseating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast