Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the show Buster Posey

Welcome to the show Buster Posey

You beat me to it! Welcome to the show Gerald!
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    You beat me to it! Welcome to the show Gerald!
    I guess Sabean lied about not calling up Posey this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    I guess Sabean lied about not calling up Posey this season.
    Or his hand was forced with not knowing the extend of Molina's injury. The idea of having to go with Whiteside for a good potion of September sounds a bit scary especially with this big time catching prospect raking at AAA. And of course Posey doesn't start tonight.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Or his hand was forced with not knowing the extend of Molina's injury. The idea of having to go with Whiteside for a good potion of September sounds a bit scary especially with this big time catching prospect raking at AAA. And of course Posey doesn't start tonight.
    Exactly... Would be pretty scary to have Garko behind the plate if Whiteside gets nicked. Plus, we might see Buster sooner rather than later after Eli's 3 K's tonight put his BA at just about .200.

I don't think Sabean was lying - he really had no choice.
    "There's no crying in Baseball!"
    -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Quote Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
    Exactly... Would be pretty scary to have Garko behind the plate if Whiteside gets nicked. Plus, we might see Buster sooner rather than later after Eli's 3 K's tonight put his BA at just about .200.

I don't think Sabean was lying - he really had no choice.
    Shoot, look at Eli's August.

42 PA, 9H, 8 SO, BA .240

That, and what exactly has Bengie shown us since June anyway?

Man, is he young, but shoot, give him a shot.

Blog Entries
    The Giants are good now, but next I would not want to play them. Posey is a difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The Giants are good now, but next I would not want to play them. Posey is a difference maker.
    Don't get me wrong here, because I'm a huge believer in Buster Posey, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Not only has his defense behind the dish (arm excluded) been questioned at times, he still hasn't even played in a ML game.

Please don't make me bring up Matt Wieters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Don't get me wrong here, because I'm a huge believer in Buster Posey, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Not only has his defense behind the dish (arm excluded) been questioned at times, he still hasn't even played in a ML game.

Please don't make me bring up Matt Wieters.
    For the sake of all that is good, DO NOT bring up Matt Wieters.
    "There's no crying in Baseball!"
    -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

In today's game Boche could have pinch hit Posey for Eli Ehiteside in the 9th inning. But Boche didn't.

west coast,

What do your "inside sources" say what the real reason is for Bochy refusing to play Posey at all?

The idea of Garko behind the plate is ridiculous. He should be sent to a lower classification along with Ishikawa.Eli Whiteside is a journeyman catcher who knows how to handle pitchers and the pitchers have confidence in him. His offense might be a little light but he is a good game caller and gets on with the pitchers and is a valueble man with the club.
    Last edited by rkoch; 09-10-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

wags: west coast, What do your "inside sources" say what the real reason is for Bochy refusing to play Posey at all?

it's not that bochy does not wanna play posey. rather, he just wants to give the kid a chance to succeed.
    i figured that posey would get his feet wet in a blow-out game and lo and behold, it was tonight in the 10-3 romp.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Funny thing, Vin Scully completely misunderstood the crowd reaction when Buster came to bat. He stated the the crowd was sort of razzing Rohlinger for his RBI, when you could clearly see that the crowd was welcoming Buster on his MLB debut. There was even chants of "Buster, Buster" that Vin missed. But a Giants fan could tell what was going on..

Who here was hoping he'd pull a Will Clark and go yard in his first AB??
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Funny thing, Vin Scully completely misunderstood the crowd reaction when Buster came to bat. He stated the the crowd was sort of razzing Rohlinger for his RBI, when you could clearly see that the crowd was welcoming Buster on his MLB debut. There was even chants of "Buster, Buster" that Vin missed. But a Giants fan could tell what was going on..

Who here was hoping he'd pull a Will Clark and go yard in his first AB??
    You KNOW Will was on a lot of our minds. "wouldn't it be cool if......"

Ahhhh, strike three, not what we envisioned was it? At least he showed a catcher's eye and took a couple of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    wags: west coast, What do your "inside sources" say what the real reason is for Bochy refusing to play Posey at all?

it's not that bochy does not wanna play posey. rather, he just wants to give the kid a chance to succeed.
    i figured that posey would get his feet wet in a blow-out game and lo and behold, it was tonight in the 10-3 romp.
    So why not the kid gloves for Bumgarner?

^
    the giants did not wanna get out of their rotation, if at all possible.
    bumgarber was an emergency start. if lincecum can take his regular spot - monday against the coloradans - bumgarner most likely will not not pitch 'til the giants are officially eliminated.

the other thing about posey, i believe, is that puttin' him out their would be disrespectful to molina, and a slap at whiteside.
    molina has done everything that the giants have asked.
    whiteside has been a good receiver, and caught sanchez's no-hitter.
    "you don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. just get people to stop reading them." -ray bradbury

Not that I don`t want him to succeed but where did all this Buster Posey hype come from, is he a local boy or what, one of you say he`s a "difference maker" it cant be only his numbers. I can see why Bochy doesnt want him subjected to MLB conditions right now. He makes one plate appearence and you guys expect him to hit like Bill Dickey, get real. Remember Bowker last year, 2 hrs in his first 2 games. Once around the league he could`nt hit his hat. I dont think he will ever be successful against major league pitching. Of course that includes Ishikawa, Garko and Frandsen.Looks like Matt Weiters is doing OK for the Orioles.

^
    the giants did not wanna get out of their rotation, if at all possible.
    bumgarber was an emergency start. if lincecum can take his regular spot - monday against the coloradans - bumgarner most likely will not not pitch 'til the giants are officially eliminated.

the other thing about posey, i believe, is that puttin' him out their would be disrespectful to molina, and a slap at whiteside.
    molina has done everything that the giants have asked.
    whiteside has been a good receiver, and caught sanchez's no-hitter.
    How is it a slap to Whiteside? Shouldn't winning be the #1 consideration? The Giants have a very poor offense. Posey can hit circles around Whiteside. Whiteside is a journeyman. Evety team has three Whitesides in their system. Whiteside shouldn't start ahead of Posey IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoch View Post
    Not that I don`t want him to succeed but where did all this Buster Posey hype come from, is he a local boy or what, one of you say he`s a "difference maker" it cant be only his numbers. I can see why Bochy doesnt want him subjected to MLB conditions right now. He makes one plate appearence and you guys expect him to hit like Bill Dickey, get real. Remember Bowker last year, 2 hrs in his first 2 games. Once around the league he could`nt hit his hat. I dont think he will ever be successful against major league pitching. Of course that includes Ishikawa, Garko and Frandsen.Looks like Matt Weiters is doing OK for the Orioles.
    Bowker and co. aren't in the same universe as Posey, potentially speaking.

Bowker and Garko Arent in the same universe as Garko & co"
    This remains to be seen.

wags: How is it a slap to Whiteside? Posey can hit circles around Whiteside.

if posey were better than whiteside *right now* then posey would have benn called up and whiteside sent down, or at least relegated to third catcher.
    it remains to be seen just what, exactly, posey can do in the bigs. we all know what we expect and wish for hime to do, but right now posey is very much a mystery, plate-performance-wise.

wags: How is it a slap to Whiteside? Posey can hit circles around Whiteside.

if posey were better than whiteside *right now* then posey would have benn called up and whiteside sent down, or at least relegated to third catcher.
    On a team with competent management this would have already happened. But Bochy and Sabean worship at the alter of the "proven veteran" which is kind of ironic given that Whiteside is not a "proven" veteran.

it remains to be seen just what, exactly, posey can do in the bigs. we all know what we expect and wish for hime to do, but right now posey is very much a mystery, plate-performance-wise.
    How will the Giants ever know what Posey can do if he never plays? I never understood that argument? But it is HIGHLY likely that Posey will greatly outhit Whiteside. And Posey is not a quite a mystery. We can make educated projections based on his minor league performance. I plugged in his AAA Fresno stats into a major league equivalency estimator and it came out with the following major league projection below. I just can't fathom why the Giants continue to play Whiteside ahead of Posey? I guess they don't understand how much damage Eli and his .213/.248/.296 line is doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-16-2009 at 02:02 PM.

I guess they don't understand how much damage Eli and his .213/.248/.296 line is doing.
    He's just awful isn't he? Billy Swift could hit better than Whiteside.

And defensively, didn't he commit two throwing errors just last week in one game?

Meh, Posey is not some young lefty SP, he's a catcher, not gonna ruin him if he has a poor outing. Throw him out there and let him show what he can (or cannot) do. He's acclimated a bit by now, he won't be shell shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by rkoch View Post
    Bowker and Garko Arent in the same universe as Garko & co"
    This remains to be seen.
    In terms of raw potential, no it's not. Bowker and Garko weren't the 5th overall pick in the draft. Posey's ranked as the Giants best (or second best depending upon who you ask) prospect in the organiztion. Only Bumgarner rivals him in that regard. Potential wise, as I said, he's not in the same universe as Bowker and Garko.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast