Thread: Larry Corcoran gravestone

I am going to this ceremony tomorrow, it's only a couple miles from my house:

Melody and the committee members will unveil the new tombstone tomorrow in a ceremony that will be attended by former Yankees catcher Rick Cerone and Orioles pitcher Dan Morogiello, who both played baseball with Melody at Seton Hall University.

"In my opinion, this man has not been put to rest peacefully in way he should be," said Morogiello. "[Corcoran] was a phenomenal pitcher, and I just thought it was an unbelievable idea to give him a gravestone."

The ceremony will take place at 2:45 p.m. in Section J of the Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, 125 Central Ave. in East Orange. It will be followed by a benefit at 5 p.m. at the Knights of Columbus Union Council at 1034 Jeanette Ave. in Union, to recoup some of the gravestone money, and to benefit the non-profit Essex County Police and Fire Emerald Society Good and Welfare Fund.

Dude, please get pictures of both his actual stone and an orientation picture,
    a picture of the nearest conspicuous landmark (unusual gravestone, trees, etc) pointing towards his grave, and post here, thank you

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=90310
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Dude, please get pictures of both his actual stone and an orientation picture,
    a picture of the nearest conspicuous landmark (unusual gravestone, trees, etc) pointing towards his grave, and post here, thank you

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=90310

I don't have a camera, but the printed story had a picture of the grave stone. I can scan it in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, THIS will hopefully be changing

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...147&PIpi=85315
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Just got back from the ceremony. There were about 120 guys there (not one woman). Luminares included two former major leaguers (Dan Morogiello, Rick Cerone) who played their college ball locally for legendary long time Seton Hall coach Mike Sheppard Sr., who was also there. Sheppard had to endure several jokes about how he had played against Corcoran. I even slipped in a remark saying that "I thought Mike tried to recruit him."

Both major leaguers said a few words, and there was a drum and bagpipe outfit. Good job by the local cops and fireman to get this done.

Notice that Corcoran is depicted on the stone with a glove....I don't think he ever used a glove when he played. There were two pictures of him at the grave site and he did not have a glove in either of them, as he posed in uniform showing his pitching form.

1) That is cool that you could be there

2) Did you get Cerone's sig?

1) That is cool that you could be there

2) Did you get Cerone's sig?

Cerone has some stomach on him now.

The two major leaguers and Sheppard were talking about their games in the 1975 College World Series. They were eliminated in a 12-10 game against Texas I think. Cerone had a bunch of RBIs in the three games they played that year in Omaha.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    Cerone has some stomach on him now.

The two major leaguers and Sheppard were talking about their games in the 1975 College World Series. They were eliminated in a 12-10 game against Texas I think. Cerone had a bunch of RBIs in the three games they played that year in Omaha.
    It wasn't quite that close

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_College_World_Series

This mentioons the 12-10 game:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ox6...her%22&f=false

The wikipedia article is a typo with that 12-0 score, it was 12-10.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    Friggin wiff-opedia