Thread: B.J. Upton

Blog Entries

B.J. Upton

What happened? This was supposed to be his breakout year.

Blog Entries
    Might be that he's still recovering from the surgery....and long season and how bad it's gone...not alot of players can overcome that. Most will mail it in and wish the season were over already so they could start fresh next season.

I do believe Upton said something to like, he wishes he could flush this season down the toilet already.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

It could very well be the lingering effects of surgery - his LD% is down to 14.6% (down from 19.6% and 18.9% in the previous two years) and his BABIP is down to .308 (from .399 and .351). His career numbers therein are 17.4% and .345 - simple regression to the mean would likely have him sitting at numbers very similar to those he produced in 2008.

His defense and speed are still there, his power numbers and average are not. It took Maddon until August 1st to realize BJ should not be his leadoff hitter. I am hoping it is just residual effects of his injury. However pre surgery, he had a lot of power in the playoffs in 2008. He strikes out way too much as well.

Upton's making the same level of contact that he had in previous years - he's down a bit from 2008, but he's right in-line with his career averages and, surprisingly, even better than in 2007 (his best offensive year).

It really seems like his shoulder and ankle issues have played a large part in everything. He's hitting more fly-balls, but less are turning into home runs; he's hitting less line-drives, as well. These are, in my mind, signs of his swing being thrown-off by injury issues.

Further, his BABIP is .304... his xBABIP is .331. If he were at that level, even with his extra hits being entirely singles, his triple-slash line would increase to .258/.328/.386, which is a fairly significant improvement.

Blog Entries
    I guess next season will reveal whether he becomes a star or just another ballplayer. He should be healed by then.

Each year I think, this is the year he matures and finally gets it. Each year, there is another incident(s) of him dogging it on either the base paths or the outfield. It is for situations like today that Rays management doesn't commit themselves to him in a long term deal. Longoria is the present and future leader of this team, and if he felt Upton was not hustling AGAIN, I am proud he stood up and said something.

Now Maddon needs to make a statement before he loses this team. Upton's brother Justin is 3 years younger and is more of a complete ballplayer than his older sibling. It's time for the Rays to piss or get off the pot on Upton. Either get his head straightened out so he doesn't go into these lazy ass funks every season or make this head case someone else's problem

Blog Entries
    I guess he is just another ballplayer