Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Leg Action

Quote Originally Posted by 4for4 View Post
    Everyone has descriptors that work for them and are based on their frames of reference. Ride the back leg is how I began to learn and understand it over 5 years ago.

I'd like you to address my questions and JJA's as well, regarding Yeager. Thx.
    Why is it you need Yeager's description to give your description?

Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    Yeager himself uses Bagwell as an example in his description.
    Once again, please answer the question completely. All you have done to this point is sidestep it.

If this has come across as badgering, then I sincerely apologize.
    Consider directing your apology to the poster that you essentially claimed was clueless.

I'm asking for a description of the initiation process of what I believe Chris considers being forward hip rotation. IMO he came dangerously close and described the setup ... but the initiation process, the firing process, the action, ... was left out.
    What is your descriptor of the initiation process? I'm also curious if you will address it at a functional level.

Why is it you need Yeager's description to give your description?
    This is really a game for you isn't it? Please answer the question about Yeager. I'm getting the sense I know why you won't. I would like to be disabused of this notion. Please take a stab at it.

FFS,

When you write something like

Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing
    But we all have to start somewhere. Perhaps dropping the claim to be an expert would be recommended until he's up to speed.
    when you yourself took the same exact position and defended it strongly only a year ago is really calling the kettle black. It's OK you won't admit that you know longer believe what Yeager wrote despite your strong defense of that position a short time ago. On the other hand, given this experience you might consider cutting others some slack instead of ridiculing them.

-JJA

Quote Originally Posted by 4for4 View Post
    This is really a game for you isn't it? Please answer the question about Yeager. I'm getting the sense I know why you won't. I would like to be disabused of this notion. Please take a stab at it.
    No ... I'm sincerely interested in various views of the initiation process for the firing of the hips.

If I understand your question correctly you want to know if rotation exists prior to front side blocking. Yes it does.

I'm not really interested in hashing out the two thoughts of both camps ... as I've already been through this and believe from a users perspective that the "forward by turning" concept and the "push" concept need not be at direct odds ... at least not from a user's perspective. I'm sure you understand Yeager's position ... that being how one could explain that the COM moves forward without pushing.

The answer is that rotation DOES occur prior to blocking ... and IMO JBooth and others have given reasonably good answers as to why. I especially like JBooth's work in this area.

Now ... please describe the muscle action for the initiation of hip rotation.
    Last edited by FiveFrameSwing; 09-30-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJA View Post
    FFS,

When you write something like

when you yourself took the same exact position and defended it strongly only a year ago is really calling the kettle black. It's OK you won't admit that you know longer believe what Yeager wrote despite your strong defense of that position a short time ago. On the other hand, given this experience you might consider cutting others some slack instead of ridiculing them.

-JJA

No ... I'm not an expert. I'm a student of the game. I'm constantly learning.

Sure ... I forgive Chris.

Let's see ... Chris recently wrote the following.

Chris O:
    While he's probably doing what you want him to do in the clip above, it looks like he's trying to push the hips around from the back side, rather than the front side. While I have seen this in some fast pitch hitters, with good results, I have never seen this in major league baseball players.

I'm trying to understand the various theories for the action that initiates what some people refer to as "hip rotation".

Chris ... from this description is it your contention that there is a muscle group in the front of the body that initiates hip rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by wogdoggy View Post
    start the clip earlier..
    Here's the whole sequence from stride through POC...

Tell me if you want some frames stopped or slowed down.

Chris ... from this description is it your contention that there is a muscle group in the front of the body that initiates hip rotation?
    No.

The process starts in the back side and then transitions through the core and into the front side.

The problem is that I know some people who think it's all back side driven, with no core or front side transition.

Show me the extension of the rear leg you are talking about. You show it from behind so it can look like anything. Do you really know what is happening, when you say he is extending? Could it be as he moves forward. The front leg is turning in and the rear glute is showing itself to the pitcher? Giving the illussion of extension. The hips are coiling/cocking/loading whatever you want to call it. It isn't a push yet. It isn't extension either.

As for the thrust. The hitter isn't trying to rotate the hips. He is trying to drive the rear hip in as straight of a line as he can. Trying to focus the energy through the ball. The rear hip pushes the front hip out of the way. You could say the front hip clears to give the rear hip some where to go but then you will get asked how does the front hip clear. The answer is the rear hip pushes it out of the way.

As has been stated the hip moves as a unit. As the rear hip is thrusted forward the front hip is driven back. This driving back of the front hip is what pulls the lead leg straight. Yes I know, how can this happen with the weight shifted to the front foot. The answer is it just does. If you are trying to time a push back with the lead leg, good luck. MLB pitching is to filthy to have to have all these different timing mechanisms going off in your head. Having to time the push back with the lead leg is one you don't want to have to worry about.

I know you will say will I don't worry about it it just happens naturally. Then I would say you don't face good pitching or you are not pushing back with the lead leg. It is just catching the transfer of weight, while remaining firm and then getting slammed shut by the hips continuos rotation. Yes I said rotation. The rear hip tries to go in as straight of line as possible but it will eventually become rotational.

Edited to say: Looking in slow mo can some times be deceiving. You can not see the explosive nature of the swing. What you see as a bunch of small moves is really one explosive move.

4x4 and JJA,

Just in time for the rescue. Jump in start a fight, so that things start to get ugly and then hopefully the thread gets closed. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post

This may help us get to the point.

In the video clip below ... what muscle action, or body action, is initiating hip rotation.

Answer me this

I'm not pushing anyone's buttons with this question.
    Anyone, what causes the back foot action in frame 30 and on in this particular clip (I think it is frame 9 in the original clip).

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketdad View Post
    I'm not pushing anyone's buttons with this question.
    Anyone, what causes the back foot action in frame 30 and on in this particular clip (I think it is frame 9 in the original clip).
    IMO, it is the coming down and forward of the back knee with the uncoiling of the rear hip and a PUSH OFF of the back foot against the ground. The front foot receives the energy with a firm front leg and the rear foot comes off of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HYP View Post
    IMO, it is the coming down and forward of the back knee with the uncoiling of the rear hip and a PUSH OFF of the back foot against the ground. The front foot receives the energy with a firm front leg and the rear foot comes off of the ground.
    That was my thought too.
    The instant I watched the clip for the first time, particularly the frames I mentioned, it reminded me of "you know who's" clip, on a website so taboo that it can't even be mentioned here, of Al Mcguiness (sp?) unleashing his slap shot.
    Recall how there was a poster questioning "you know who's" contention because the rear skate was going backwards.
    Matches up very well with this Pujols clip don't you think?
    Imagine a hockey stick coming down for a slap shot just before the back heel comes up.

BD

Very insightful FiveFrameSwing and HYP. You guys are good. It makes sense when you folks describe the actions. Thank you.

This may help us get to the point.

In the video clip below ... what muscle action, or body action, is initiating hip rotation.

his right buttocks "curls coils loads" and releases..

Quote Originally Posted by wogdoggy View Post
    his right buttocks "curls coils loads" and releases..
    That's pretty darn close to where I perceive to feel the muscle action initiating hip rotation.

Show me the extension of the rear leg you are talking about. You show it from behind so it can look like anything. Do you really know what is happening, when you say he is extending? Could it be as he moves forward. The front leg is turning in and the rear glute is showing itself to the pitcher? Giving the illussion of extension. The hips are coiling/cocking/loading whatever you want to call it. It isn't a push yet. It isn't extension either.

As for the thrust. The hitter isn't trying to rotate the hips. He is trying to drive the rear hip in as straight of a line as he can. Trying to focus the energy through the ball. The rear hip pushes the front hip out of the way. You could say the front hip clears to give the rear hip some where to go but then you will get asked how does the front hip clear. The answer is the rear hip pushes it out of the way.

As has been stated the hip moves as a unit. As the rear hip is thrusted forward the front hip is driven back. This driving back of the front hip is what pulls the lead leg straight. Yes I know, how can this happen with the weight shifted to the front foot. The answer is it just does. If you are trying to time a push back with the lead leg, good luck. MLB pitching is to filthy to have to have all these different timing mechanisms going off in your head. Having to time the push back with the lead leg is one you don't want to have to worry about.

I know you will say will I don't worry about it it just happens naturally. Then I would say you don't face good pitching or you are not pushing back with the lead leg. It is just catching the transfer of weight, while remaining firm and then getting slammed shut by the hips continuos rotation. Yes I said rotation. The rear hip tries to go in as straight of line as possible but it will eventually become rotational.

Edited to say: Looking in slow mo can some times be deceiving. You can not see the explosive nature of the swing. What you see as a bunch of small moves is really one explosive move.

4x4 and JJA,

Just in time for the rescue. Jump in start a fight, so that things start to get ugly and then hopefully the thread gets closed. What a shame.
    Chris-

Read this post over and over again. You might actually learn something.

Then, go outside and apply what HYP is talking about to your own swing. Try to feel what you or someone else is talking about for just once.

From reading your descriptions in this thread and that fantastic one liner last night, you actually need more work than many here.

No.

The process starts in the back side and then transitions through the core and into the front side.

The problem is that I know some people who think it's all back side driven, with no core or front side transition.
    Great ... so we know you believe the action for rotation of the hips initiates from the backside. Can you be more specific and state a general area of the backside? You earlier said the back "foot" in response to a comment. We are now clearer about the question ... that being what action initiates hip rotation. If you believe it is the rear foot, then that's your answer.

As for other folks doing things wrong ... we can't control that. All we can do is attempt to be helpful. If folks persist in doing things wrong then that is outside of our control.

As has been stated the hip moves as a unit. As the rear hip is thrusted forward the front hip is driven back. This driving back of the front hip is what pulls the lead leg straight.
    So in other words the back leg push is so powerful that it pushes the hips around, causing the back foot to be pulled off the ground and the front knee to extend?

I knew there were people out there who believe this, but I never thought I'd interact with one.

Needless to say, our paradigms are incommensurable.

I'll just leave it at that.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 09-30-2009 at 11:59 AM.

So in other words the back leg push is so powerful that it pushes the hips around, causing the back foot to be pulled off the ground and the front knee to extend?

I knew there were people out there who believe this, but I never thought I'd interact with one.

Chris, please .... PLEASE ***READ DIXON***.

What Hyp speaks of ("As has been stated the hip moves as a unit") is well explain in Jim Dixon's book. In fact, Jim does this in a very simple and easy to understand manner. It's a great book ... and in my opinion it's well worth the $25 investment. I think you'll look at the swing differently after you read the book.

You keep saying "push". Nobody is talking about "pushing" the hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    You keep saying "push". Nobody is talking about "pushing" the hips.
    So the hips just move themselves? Via telekentics?

Got to go to lunch with my wife but I'll leave you with this. Study his lead foot in frames 29 through 33. Tell me what you see. Why is his toe on his front foot coming off the ground? why does it appear that the lead hip moving rearward is pulling him onto the heel of his front foot. Wouldn't it make sense if he was pushing back with that lead leg his foot would be more on the balls of his foot or at least stay flat.

Gotta run

So the hips just move themselves? Via telekentics?
    By firing the rear hip? Go try it with a bat.

I can get 12 year olds to understand and accomplish this, but I can't get an "expert" to grasp a simple concept. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    By firing the rear hip? Go try it with a bat.

I can get 12 year olds to understand and accomplish this, but I can't get an "expert" to grasp a simple concept. Unbelievable.
    How does the hip fire?

We've already established that the back hip is just a big hunk of bone and is incapable of moving itself.

So what moves it?

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast