Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rolling the Wrists Actually a Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Where's an example of it?

I'm going through my clips and have yet to find one.
    You don't get to the Major Leagues by rolling your wrists more often than you do not. Simple as that.

Let's take a look at a very typical 9YO youth swing, the result of which was a hard line drive to RCF.

I would rate this lower body action as above average, but I also see a major, but pretty common, problem with bat drag (and borderline lunging).

Throughout this swing, and to a degree because of the bat drag, this hitter has no problem maintaining a Palm Up Palm Down attitude. This is even aided by the bat drag and how that causes the bat to quickly start rotating in a plane perpendicular to the spine.

No wrist rolling takes place in this swing until the frame after the POC, and I have a hard time believing, because of the bat drag, that any wrist rolling is going to take place until this point.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 10-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    You don't get to the Major Leagues by rolling your wrists more often than you do not. Simple as that.
    And I think that some to many of the problems that some people are attributing to wrist rolling are actually being caused by something else.

And I think that some to many of the problems that some people are attributing to wrist rolling are actually being caused by something else.
    There are some things that can cause wrist rolling besides the wrists themselves, but those are accentuated by poor wrist action. Proper wrist action pretty much eliminates wrist rolling except when completely fooled, lose your weight forward, etc...

There are some things that can cause wrist rolling besides the wrists themselves, but those are accentuated by poor wrist action. Proper wrist action pretty much eliminates wrist rolling except when completely fooled, lose your weight forward, etc...
    Do you have visual evidence to back up this belief?

Where's an example of it?
    Have you demonstrated a more powerful swing using a premature wrist rollover technique?

As a coach, I've dealt with this on several occasions. How can you claim to be an expert an not know this? Something isn't adding up here.

I'm starting to think two things...

1. Other problems are being misdiagnosed as having to do with wrist rolling.
    2. Wrist action is a non-teach.
    Well, you're pretty darn close with #2.

The cure for solving an issue with premature wrist rollover often does not involve making an adjust with the wrists ... but I've told you that before.
    Last edited by FiveFrameSwing; 10-13-2009 at 09:54 PM.

I have a player on my 11U team that is barely being taught how to bat correctly. He has it ingrained in him about turning his wrists over right as the ball is coming into the POC. It almost as if the back of the hand is facing the pitcher and the back hand is facing the batter on impact. consequently the back hand rolls over the front hand on the follow through. Rarely will he hit the ball on anything other than a grounder. Lau Jr.'s top hand bottom hand drills are working wonders for this kid and it's great to see.

Let's take a look at a very typical 9YO youth swing, the result of which was a hard line drive to RCF.

What are you selling here?

This kid looks to be in a batting cage of some sort ... and you're telling me that he hit the ball to RCF?

Do you have visual evidence to back up this belief?
    Do you have any game experience to say that it doesn't happen?

I don't have clips. Don't really need em anyway. This is common sense stuff, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by sescoyote View Post
    I have a player on my 11U team that is barely being taught how to bat correctly. He has it ingrained in him about turning his wrists over right as the ball is coming into the POC. It almost as if the back of the hand is facing the pitcher and the back hand is facing the batter on impact.
    So kids will do it if they are taught it, I assume out of some effort to put backspin on a ball.

But will a normal kid do it if he hasn't been taught it? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

But I am still looking.

Rarely will he hit the ball on anything other than a grounder.
    Probably by design.

Do you know who the dad is listening to for instruction?

Lau Jr.'s top hand bottom hand drills are working wonders for this kid and it's great to see.
    Good, but I would argue that they are fixing a problem that was caused by someone else's drill or cue.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    What are you selling here?

This kid looks to be in a batting cage of some sort ... and you're telling me that he hit the ball to RCF?
    Of course it's a batting cage. RCF is just a reference point to let you know the ball was pushed slightly because it was slightly outside.

How many times do we have to tell you that before you finally get it.

The solution to curing premature wrist rollover is NOT in making an adjustment to the wrists. How is it that you are just getting to this conclusion now after being told multiple times?

Have you demonstrated a more powerful swing using a premature wrist rollover technique?
    No.

I think rolling the wrists through the POC is a stupid idea.

I generally don't discuss the wrists unless someone has been taught to roll them.

Do you have any game experience to say that it doesn't happen?

I don't have clips. Don't really need em anyway. This is common sense stuff, Chris.
    So you're just going faith and what the naked eye tells you?

That's how we came up with stupid cues like squishing the bug and making the power v at the POC.

Of course it's a batting cage. RCF is just a reference point to let you know the ball was pushed slightly because it was slightly outside.
    I see ... we are supposed to be imagining things.

How about we deal with reality for a bit?

The solution to curing premature wrist rollover is NOT in making an adjustment to the wrists. How is it that you are just getting to this conclusion now after being told multiple times?
    And how many times do I have to tell you that, in the absence of evidence, I'm not convinced that premature wrist rollover is actually a problem.

If you've got a clip that proves otherwise, just post the hands through the POC.

That will hide the identity of the client.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 10-13-2009 at 09:56 PM.

I see ... we are supposed to be imagining things. How about we deal with reality for a bit?
    OK.

For the unimaginative, the ball was hit above and to the right of the the pitching machine, which on a real baseball diamond (which this is not) is right center field.

So you're just going faith and what the naked eye tells you?
    Faith, experience, common sense, studying, watching, talking, reading, common sense, experience, hitting, and common sense. As you can see, I'm big on experience and common sense.

That's how we came up with stupid cues like squishing the bug and making the power v at the POC.
    "We" may include yourself, but it doesn't include me.

And how many times do I have to tell you that, in the absence of evidence, I'm not convinced that premature wrist rollover is actually a problem.
    How about instead of displaying total ignorance, you get in the batting cage and learn that premature rollover is going to hurt your performance?

I really find this thread difficult to believe. You really can't be this lost. What is the real objective? Is it advertising of your website with the clips you post?

OK.

For the unimaginative, the ball was hit above and to the right of the the pitching machine, which on a real baseball diamond (which this is not) is right center field.
    Why not imagine that it was a HR ... even though it looked like it would barely make it out of the infield.

Ffs

That would be with both hands.

Chris

I have had only a handful of students come to me with premature wrist rolling. I address it as soon as I see it. I will go back through my vids and see if I can find a clip if one in particular. She was notorious for it.

Dana.

All you need to do to know this is a problem is hit 70 mph meatballs down the middle of the plate with a premature wrist roll and without.

I buy this, but I've never seen anyone (on video) roll their wrists over before the POC. In most cases they are in the neighborhood of palm up, palm down.
    Agreed, wrist-rolling is not a problem in MLB.

It can however be a problem in Baseball 101.

Homework: Please attend a few 7-12 yr old rec games this weekend and report back.

To reiterate: the wrists are the site of the problem, not the cause.
    Last edited by skipper5; 10-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Skip

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast