Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 340

Thread: Is Rolling the Wrists Actually a Problem?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Where's an example of it?

    I'm going through my clips and have yet to find one.
    You don't get to the Major Leagues by rolling your wrists more often than you do not. Simple as that.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Let's take a look at a very typical 9YO youth swing, the result of which was a hard line drive to RCF.



    I would rate this lower body action as above average, but I also see a major, but pretty common, problem with bat drag (and borderline lunging).

    Throughout this swing, and to a degree because of the bat drag, this hitter has no problem maintaining a Palm Up Palm Down attitude. This is even aided by the bat drag and how that causes the bat to quickly start rotating in a plane perpendicular to the spine.

    No wrist rolling takes place in this swing until the frame after the POC, and I have a hard time believing, because of the bat drag, that any wrist rolling is going to take place until this point.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 10-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    You don't get to the Major Leagues by rolling your wrists more often than you do not. Simple as that.
    And I think that some to many of the problems that some people are attributing to wrist rolling are actually being caused by something else.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    And I think that some to many of the problems that some people are attributing to wrist rolling are actually being caused by something else.
    There are some things that can cause wrist rolling besides the wrists themselves, but those are accentuated by poor wrist action. Proper wrist action pretty much eliminates wrist rolling except when completely fooled, lose your weight forward, etc...

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    There are some things that can cause wrist rolling besides the wrists themselves, but those are accentuated by poor wrist action. Proper wrist action pretty much eliminates wrist rolling except when completely fooled, lose your weight forward, etc...
    Do you have visual evidence to back up this belief?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Where's an example of it?
    Have you demonstrated a more powerful swing using a premature wrist rollover technique?

    As a coach, I've dealt with this on several occasions. How can you claim to be an expert an not know this? Something isn't adding up here.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I'm starting to think two things...

    1. Other problems are being misdiagnosed as having to do with wrist rolling.
    2. Wrist action is a non-teach.
    Well, you're pretty darn close with #2.

    The cure for solving an issue with premature wrist rollover often does not involve making an adjust with the wrists ... but I've told you that before.
    Last edited by FiveFrameSwing; 10-13-2009 at 09:54 PM.

  8. #58
    I have a player on my 11U team that is barely being taught how to bat correctly. He has it ingrained in him about turning his wrists over right as the ball is coming into the POC. It almost as if the back of the hand is facing the pitcher and the back hand is facing the batter on impact. consequently the back hand rolls over the front hand on the follow through. Rarely will he hit the ball on anything other than a grounder. Lau Jr.'s top hand bottom hand drills are working wonders for this kid and it's great to see.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Let's take a look at a very typical 9YO youth swing, the result of which was a hard line drive to RCF.

    What are you selling here?

    This kid looks to be in a batting cage of some sort ... and you're telling me that he hit the ball to RCF?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Do you have visual evidence to back up this belief?
    Do you have any game experience to say that it doesn't happen?

    I don't have clips. Don't really need em anyway. This is common sense stuff, Chris.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by sescoyote View Post
    I have a player on my 11U team that is barely being taught how to bat correctly. He has it ingrained in him about turning his wrists over right as the ball is coming into the POC. It almost as if the back of the hand is facing the pitcher and the back hand is facing the batter on impact.
    So kids will do it if they are taught it, I assume out of some effort to put backspin on a ball.

    But will a normal kid do it if he hasn't been taught it? I haven't seen any evidence of that.

    But I am still looking.


    Quote Originally Posted by sescoyote View Post
    Rarely will he hit the ball on anything other than a grounder.
    Probably by design.

    Do you know who the dad is listening to for instruction?


    Quote Originally Posted by sescoyote View Post
    Lau Jr.'s top hand bottom hand drills are working wonders for this kid and it's great to see.
    Good, but I would argue that they are fixing a problem that was caused by someone else's drill or cue.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    What are you selling here?

    This kid looks to be in a batting cage of some sort ... and you're telling me that he hit the ball to RCF?
    Of course it's a batting cage. RCF is just a reference point to let you know the ball was pushed slightly because it was slightly outside.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    And I think that some to many of the problems that some people are attributing to wrist rolling are actually being caused by something else.
    How many times do we have to tell you that before you finally get it.

    The solution to curing premature wrist rollover is NOT in making an adjustment to the wrists. How is it that you are just getting to this conclusion now after being told multiple times?

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    Have you demonstrated a more powerful swing using a premature wrist rollover technique?
    No.

    I think rolling the wrists through the POC is a stupid idea.

    I generally don't discuss the wrists unless someone has been taught to roll them.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkman#17 View Post
    Do you have any game experience to say that it doesn't happen?

    I don't have clips. Don't really need em anyway. This is common sense stuff, Chris.
    So you're just going faith and what the naked eye tells you?

    That's how we came up with stupid cues like squishing the bug and making the power v at the POC.

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Of course it's a batting cage. RCF is just a reference point to let you know the ball was pushed slightly because it was slightly outside.
    I see ... we are supposed to be imagining things.

    How about we deal with reality for a bit?

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    The solution to curing premature wrist rollover is NOT in making an adjustment to the wrists. How is it that you are just getting to this conclusion now after being told multiple times?
    And how many times do I have to tell you that, in the absence of evidence, I'm not convinced that premature wrist rollover is actually a problem.

    If you've got a clip that proves otherwise, just post the hands through the POC.

    That will hide the identity of the client.
    Last edited by Chris O'Leary; 10-13-2009 at 09:56 PM.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveFrameSwing View Post
    I see ... we are supposed to be imagining things. How about we deal with reality for a bit?
    OK.

    For the unimaginative, the ball was hit above and to the right of the the pitching machine, which on a real baseball diamond (which this is not) is right center field.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    511
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    So you're just going faith and what the naked eye tells you?
    Faith, experience, common sense, studying, watching, talking, reading, common sense, experience, hitting, and common sense. As you can see, I'm big on experience and common sense.

    That's how we came up with stupid cues like squishing the bug and making the power v at the POC.
    "We" may include yourself, but it doesn't include me.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    And how many times do I have to tell you that, in the absence of evidence, I'm not convinced that premature wrist rollover is actually a problem.
    How about instead of displaying total ignorance, you get in the batting cage and learn that premature rollover is going to hurt your performance?

    I really find this thread difficult to believe. You really can't be this lost. What is the real objective? Is it advertising of your website with the clips you post?

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    OK.

    For the unimaginative, the ball was hit above and to the right of the the pitching machine, which on a real baseball diamond (which this is not) is right center field.
    Why not imagine that it was a HR ... even though it looked like it would barely make it out of the infield.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas - Ft Worth Metroplex
    Posts
    335

    Ffs

    That would be with both hands.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas - Ft Worth Metroplex
    Posts
    335

    Chris

    I have had only a handful of students come to me with premature wrist rolling. I address it as soon as I see it. I will go back through my vids and see if I can find a clip if one in particular. She was notorious for it.

    Dana.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,158
    All you need to do to know this is a problem is hit 70 mph meatballs down the middle of the plate with a premature wrist roll and without.

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I buy this, but I've never seen anyone (on video) roll their wrists over before the POC. In most cases they are in the neighborhood of palm up, palm down.
    Agreed, wrist-rolling is not a problem in MLB.

    It can however be a problem in Baseball 101.

    Homework: Please attend a few 7-12 yr old rec games this weekend and report back.

    To reiterate: the wrists are the site of the problem, not the cause.
    Last edited by skipper5; 10-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    Skip

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •