Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mets Minor League/Player Development Thread

Blog Entries
    Does Feliciano play CF? Or just RF?
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

Quote Originally Posted by NJMetfan4life View Post
    Does Feliciano play CF? Or just RF?
    LF, CF, RF....all three. His average is up to .403 with a 5-5 effort today. He's 30 years old and has earned a shot. His splits against LHP and RHP are both excellent. GMJr. has earned his release. This guy deserves a chance to play at the MLB level, even if only as a 4th or 5th OFer. I'm rooting for him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ReyesOfHope View Post
    LF, CF, RF....all three. His average is up to .403 with a 5-5 effort today. He's 30 years old and has earned a shot. His splits against LHP and RHP are both excellent. GMJr. has earned his release. This guy deserves a chance to play at the MLB level, even if only as a 4th or 5th OFer. I'm rooting for him.
    From what I understand so far is he is only competent in LF, and will not get called up unless there are a few injuries. I guess for now he's trade bait, the 30 year old prospect.

From what I understand so far is he is only competent in LF, and will not get called up unless there are a few injuries. I guess for now he's trade bait, the 30 year old prospect.
    Really? I don't have any knowledge of his fielding specifically other than he's not a "plus defender", but he played the entire 2008 season in CF at AAA, New Orleans for the Mets and made just 2 errors - though I don't know about his range or his arm. He also played CF for Puerto Rico in the 2005 Baseball World Cup. He played LF in the WBC for Puerto Rico - but Carlos beltran was the CFer. In 12 years he's only made 27 errors in the OF. I'd like to think he is competent at least at all 3 OF spots. We're talking about a 4th or 5th OFer here...a guy that has earned an opportunity to get a shot at a MLB paycheck...unlike GMJ.

Any thought on what direction the Mets go in tonight's draft?

I've heard either an advanced college pitcher like Matt Harvey or a hitter like Zack Cox assuming either is still around. Obviously the MLB draft is not as impactful as other drafts, but the Mets need to continue to stock the minor leagues with talent if we're ever going to be a perennial contender.
    "Nobody ever won a World Series drinking milk"
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

Well the Mets are on the clock. No surprise the Nads take Bryce Harper at #1.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

The Mets have selected Matt Harvey RHP from UNC.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    The Mets have selected Matt Harvey RHP from UNC.
    Huge sigh of relief..very solid pick...pretty high floor with upside

I was scared to death they'd take either Sale or Cox (which could have been disasters), but very satisfied with Harvey. They're even willing to spend some with the Boras client.

For those who are unfamiliar, Harvey was a top prospect out of high school but fell due to signability. went to UNC and struggled first two years. However, he made some mechanical adjustments and returned to high school form. Has a plus 92-95 MPH fastball with good movement, plus slider and avg change... command could use a little improvement but with time could be a very solid 2-3 starter
    "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

Blog Entries
    On another note, rumor has it that Jesus Feliciano will be called up to replace Omir Santos on the Major League Roster.

On a side note the Boston Red Sox selected Anthony Ranaudo with the compensation pick they got from Atlanta signing Billy Wagner (39th overall). Ranaudo was a projected top 5 pick, before he had a disaster college season.
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

After taking Matt Harvey with the 7th pick the Mets selected:

2nd round - no pick
    3rd round(89) - Norman Forsythe - Catcher - U.Tennessee
    4th round(122) - Cory Vaughn - CF - San Diego St.
    5th round(152) - Matthew Den Dekker - CF - U.Florida
    6th round(182) - Greg Peavey - RH SP - Oregon St.
    7th round(212) - Jeffrey Walters - RH RP - Georgia
    8th round(242) - Kenneth McDowall - RH SP - Southern Nevada JC
    9th round(272) - Jacob Degrom - RH SP - Stetson
    10th round(302) - Akeel Morris - RH SP - Charlotte Amalie HS, St. Thomas V.I.
    11th round(332) - Adam Kolarek - LH RP - Maryland

The first 30 rounds are complete, but I don't have that kind of time, so I figured I'd just give you the top 10 picks, although historically teams frequently find major leaguers in the later rounds.

As I'm sure you noticed of the Mets top 10 picks only 3 were position players, granted they came in a row in the 3rd,4th, and 5th round.
    The Mets generally speaking seem to be targeting more advanced polished players closer to the majors, college hitters and pitchers. That being said there are 50 rounds, some of these players won't sign, and the majority of them will never reach the upper minors let alone majors. We probably won't know for another 3 years, Harvey however, does look like the kind of pitcher that could make it to the majors within 2 to 3 years.
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

Does anyone know where Jeff Kaplan is in the org.. According to Minorleaguebaseball.com he is with St. Lucie. But, I don't find him on any roster. He has been in the system for a few years now.

As of 5/11/12 3610 Autographs and Growing!! 3117 of which are Baseball!
    105 Pieces of Sports Memorabilia

Check out my Ebay listings!! Seller ID Howiek1227

Some of my Memorabilia Collection
    http://photobucket.com/HowiesMemo
    Check out my new Blog
    www.strongislandgrapher.blogspot.com

Smile

Speaking of Cory Vaughn, he's on the Cyclones and I saw him last night at the season opener game vs. the Staten Island Yankees. I believe he got a single too, though I'm not 100% sure. Cyclones won 5-3.

Hope he can progress quickly as well as our other draft picks.

Blog Entries
    Jenry Mejia has been sent down to be a starter. Reports are conflicting on where he's going. It's either AAA Buffalo or AA Binghampton.

Blog Entries
    Jenry Mejia has been sent down to be a starter. Reports are conflicting on where he's going. It's either AAA Buffalo or AA Binghampton.
    Wherever, I think it's a smart decision. Mejia was designed to be a starter, and being in the ML bullpen is only stunting his growth in that area.
    Put it in the books.

Obviously, both Binghamton and Buffalo could use Jenry Mejia. Metsblog.com says it's Binghamton.

I feel bad about the demotion, but it's better for his development. After MiLB ends, maybe they can bring him back. I remember seeing him pitch for the Cyclones 2 years ago on a night when the team wore sand camouflage uniforms in a military appreciation night.

I hope his cup of coffee in MLB has made him ever more hungry to return and he can do well for us. I don't want to see him traded for a 2-month rental of a pitcher nearing decline. I'd rather the team sign Oswalt or Lee as free agents rather than giving someone up.

Reese Havens could be a good second baseman, though I understand he's had lots of DL time. He was a 2008 Cyclone with Mejia and Ike Davis, by the way. Maybe he can be dangled to another team if Ruben Tejada is being groomed to succeed Luis Castillo.

For those who haven't seen it, here's 5th round pick Matt Den Dekker from Saturday in the CWS. He was one of the few post-first round picks that I really liked, elite defensive CF with some offensive potential to boot.
    "All shortstops can dance...Derek Jeter is a fullback with power and speed. Jose Reyes is a tailback with speed and quickness"-"analysis" of the New York shortstops' defense by the genius that is Joe Morgan

It looks like Jenrry Mejia has a total of 2 starts for Binghampton with 3.1 innings pitched so far. His numbers aren't so bad. Is this some weird version of those Joba rules?

What gives?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    It looks like Jenrry Mejia has a total of 2 starts for Binghampton with 3.1 innings pitched so far. His numbers aren't so bad. Is this some weird version of those Joba rules?

What gives?
    He's been on the DL for a lttle while.

Mets went over the slot for somebody: The Mets' over-slot deal with 24th-round amateur draft pick Erik Goeddel is not yet official, tweets Jim Callis of Baseball America. Callis was told that Goeddel's contract would be finalized by July 20, but it has been put off for "a few more days" due to a request from Major League Baseball.
    -Doug Sisk, RP 1986 Mets

Greg Vaughn's son Cory Vaughn the Mets 4th round pick this year is absolutely killing it for the Brooklyn Cyclones

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...andard_batting
    New York (N.L.)
    1888, 1889, 1904, 1905, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1917, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1933, 1936, 1937, 1951, 1954, 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000

Brooklyn (N.L.)
    1890, 1899, 1900, 1916, 1920, 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956

New York (A.A.) 1884 Brooklyn (A.A.) 1889

Blog Entries
    After what I saw both Monday and Thursday, I'm beginning to think the Cyclones could beat the Mets two outta three. ...especially if Pelf pitches one of them.
    Put it in the books.

Captain Kirk Niewenhuis promoted to Triple-A.

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/08/10/m...em-in-nl-east/

By Matthew Cerrone

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York talked yesterday with an NL East scout who feels the Mets have the deepest farm system in the division.

The scout told Rubin, while other NL East teams have more ‘high-end guys,’ like Mike Stanton, Stephen Strasburg and Jayson Heyward, the Mets have more depth.

Rubin and the scout ranked the team’s top prospects as:

1) RHP Jenrry Mejia, 2) SS Wilmer Flores, 3) 1B Ike Davis, 4) OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis, 5) OF Fernando Martinez, 6) C Josh Thole, 7) 2B-SS Ruben Tejada, 8) LHP Robert Carson, 9) RHP Jeurys Familia, 10) RHP Brandon Moore, 11) LHP Mark Cohoon.

Yesterday, in a post to Mack’s Mets, Mack wrote about the farm as well, and said: 1) “Familia, Carson, and Brad Holt have all taken a step back,” 2) “You’re going to start hearing the name Jordany Valdespin more often,” and 3) “The Mets do not have one single developed relief pitcher in their system.”

I consider this a testament to Omar's skill in running a scouting operation. Imagine what he could do if the Mets weren't the cheapest team in baseball in the draft. Imagine what he could do if the Wilpons didn't do things like dump Wagner's contract and forego the draft picks they would have gotten when the Braves signed him. Imagine...

Omar isn't perfect, but if he was allowed to spend his way out of the occasional bad contract, his plusses would outweigh his minuses.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    http://www.metsblog.com/2010/08/10/m...em-in-nl-east/

By Matthew Cerrone

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York talked yesterday with an NL East scout who feels the Mets have the deepest farm system in the division.

The scout told Rubin, while other NL East teams have more ‘high-end guys,’ like Mike Stanton, Stephen Strasburg and Jayson Heyward, the Mets have more depth.

Rubin and the scout ranked the team’s top prospects as:

1) RHP Jenrry Mejia, 2) SS Wilmer Flores, 3) 1B Ike Davis, 4) OF Kirk Nieuwenhuis, 5) OF Fernando Martinez, 6) C Josh Thole, 7) 2B-SS Ruben Tejada, 8) LHP Robert Carson, 9) RHP Jeurys Familia, 10) RHP Brandon Moore, 11) LHP Mark Cohoon.

Yesterday, in a post to Mack’s Mets, Mack wrote about the farm as well, and said: 1) “Familia, Carson, and Brad Holt have all taken a step back,” 2) “You’re going to start hearing the name Jordany Valdespin more often,” and 3) “The Mets do not have one single developed relief pitcher in their system.”

I consider this a testament to Omar's skill in running a scouting operation. Imagine what he could do if the Mets weren't the cheapest team in baseball in the draft. Imagine what he could do if the Wilpons didn't do things like dump Wagner's contract and forego the draft picks they would have gotten when the Braves signed him. Imagine...

Omar isn't perfect, but if he was allowed to spend his way out of the occasional bad contract, his plusses would outweigh his minuses.
    i completely agree with you.

Omar is nowhere near perfect....and I think it's time for him to go (though Id certainly want to keep him in some scouting capacity), but he IS better at certain aspects of the GM job than generally given credit for....most notably not giving up on the prospects for a quick fix when everyone and their mother wanted him to...and turning the farm back into something at least respectable (when he got here in 2004 it was a bad joke).

What people forget is that every single GM has atleast a couple of blunder decisions on their resume if they've been on the job a couple of years...the difference is that it usually doesn't completely hamstring them into filling out the roster with utter crap because they wont eat the contract/get rid of them

And like I said...I'm on board with having Omar replaced....but I dont despise the man as much as others....he has done a decent deal of good here...and it shouldnt be forgotten.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast