Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Series 2009: Yankees vs Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
    This is not the same rotation.
    Neither are the Phils throwing out Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz.

Regardless it's 1-1 now.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Great Post. This is my concern too. We must get this offense going.

Mattingly, we don't talk about 2003 (and 2004). Let the BoSox talk about Grady Little but Pedro did the same thing. They had the camera on Manual talking to Pedro and Pedro said he was fine (seventh) and that is exactly what he said to Grady. Grady was fired because of that call. Both were a mistake.

Clipper
    Grady Little was fired because of 86 years of failure....

...... and the fact that Pedro was done that night ...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    You right. The rotation the Yanks have now is better!

In '96 they had: Pettite, Key, Cone, Rogers
    Now it's: CC, AJ and Pettitte.

Which rotation would you prefer?
    I'd probably go with '96. The younger Pettite was better than the
    current one. Pettite, Key, or Cone were better than AJ because of their consistency. CC is the only starter I'd prefer over any of the '96 guys.
    Forget about Rogers, he's the '96 liability, but if you go man for man with
    the top 3, I'd still give the edge to '96.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    I figured that if Girardi was going to mess up again and again, he may as well have done so vs Anaheim than against the Phillies.

I'm wondering if any Beantowners had memories of 2003 with Grady Little as Pedro (Who's Your Daddy?) couldn't get anyone out in the 7th. And again, Posada comes through timely (it was the 8th in the '03 LCS).

Sooooo, my newly deputized Yankee bench coach, what do you think is Girardi's bullpen plan on Sunday? 7 innings of Andy then 2 of Mo? Remember, you've got Joe's ear all night on Sunday.

I'm just glad that all the pitching ugliness of Game 1 was only in a single game.

You mean Saturday.

I very much doubt Andy will go 7 innings. But right now the plan is probably Andy for at least 6 and then Joba/Marte could get the ball to Mo.

Maybe Domenics boy, Marte, could get some more batters instead of just being a LOOGY. He's been the most dependable out of the bullpen besides Rivera. Robertson has been very good, but because the grounder he got Ibanez to hit was a 50 bouncer, he's suddenly "not reliable".

Whatever the case is...Hughes/Joba/Robertson/Aceves have to be able to get 3-5 outs without giving up runs to get the ball to Rivera.

Also, the Offense has got to wake up. I know this offense likes to work the count and take pitches, but I don't think you can take that approach when it comes to say Cliff Lee. The man throws strikes. You have to be aggressive or you going to be 0-2, 1-2 just about every AB. The patience approach works with Pedro Martinez and will probably work with Cole Hamels, but when Lee takes the mound again I don't want to see EVERY batter taking so many pitches. Take your cue from Damon or Melky....hack away. Surprisingly, Cano hasn't had too many hacks at the 1st pitch this playoffs.

That leads me to Game 3 @ Philadelphia. Since Damon has been struggling of late, should Girardi start Matsui in LF? Granted, Matsui hasn't played the field this season but this is the World Series now. This offense has been dormant, do you want to take out one of the few bats that's still got a pulse?
    And does Swisher sit again?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

should Girardi start Matsui in LF?
    Lord no. He can't play the field. He is strictly a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattingly View Post
    You have to remember that Cliff Lee is as cool as a cucumber and dominated LAD like nobody's business. Then after many people in baseball laughed at the Mets for giving Pedro a 4th year, he goes vintage against LAD then us after that contract expired.
    I didn't suggest that Lee or Martinez were poor pitchers, or anything of the sort. Further, I didn't suggest that it should be easy for the team to score runs. Rather, that the Yankees cannot expect to win this series scoring two runs per game, regardless of who is on the mound for either team.

One of the highlights of watching Baseball Tonight after the game was listening to Eric Young discuss who should play RF going forward. Considering that he was a fairly similar player, and that ESPN analysts don't really know how to analyze baseball, I wasn't surprised that he suggested Hairston should start again. . . his reasoning is what baffled me.

Young stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that Hairston knows how to get on-base, and that Swisher is a free-swinger. . . with the pitcher batting ninth, you need the guy that can get on-base.

Swisher's OBP in 2009 - .371. Swisher's OBP in his career - .357.
    Hairston's OBP in 2009 - .315. Hairston's OBP in his career - .328.

That leads me to Game 3 @ Philadelphia. Since Damon has been struggling of late, should Girardi start Matsui in LF? Granted, Matsui hasn't played the field this season but this is the World Series now. This offense has been dormant, do you want to take out one of the few bats that's still got a pulse?
    And does Swisher sit again?
    Hmm..LF in Philly does play a bit short. I'd say see how it goes. Try it one game if Matsui really looks like he's laboring out in the field don't do it again. Damon has the ability to break out so I'd say stick with him and have Matsui come off the bench for power in the later innings. Maybe start Hinske in right, that way you have Hairston coming on later for speed.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Yankees win! ok, now we have to win at least 2 in Philly. I think our bats are starting to come alive again, so I think we can do it.

Maybe. Tex's homerun was legit. Matsui's is a fly ball out in any other park. If Pettite can't go deep the Yanks could be in trouble unless the bullpen, besides Rivera, comes through. Girardi can realistically expect Mo to pitch 4 innings, can he? I still think this series is going to go long. Good luck.
    See ball, hit ball.

Matsui hasn't played the outfield since last June, and he's never been anything more than below-average out there. . . I cannot help but think that this is not the stage on which he should prove his worth in the field (or lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    Maybe start Hinske in right, that way you have Hairston coming on later for speed.
    The problem with Hinske is that he cannot hit lefties. . . .221/.296/.370 versus LHP in his career. With Hamels starting tomorrow, and Lee likely starting if the Yankees win that game, I feel like Hinske should be planted firmly on the bench.

I think Swisher should get the start. He looked good in Game 6 of the NLCS, and had some great AB's and swings against Lee in Game 1 of the WS. Either that, or stick with Hairston (which I'm still somewhat opposed to).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Maybe. Tex's homerun was legit. Matsui's is a fly ball out in any other park. If Pettite can't go deep the Yanks could be in trouble unless the bullpen, besides Rivera, comes through. Girardi can realistically expect Mo to pitch 4 innings, can he? I still think this series is going to go long. Good luck.
    Utley's first homer was a fall ball out, and his second one was legit. So if you exclude the terrible bullpen perfomance that followed in Game 1, I think this series couldn't be more even right now. It's gotta go at least six games.

Quote Originally Posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
    Utley's first homer was a fall ball out, and his second one was legit. So if you exclude the terrible bullpen perfomance that followed in Game 1, I think this series couldn't be more even right now. It's gotta go at least six games.
    I agree. I chuckled a little after Utley's first one. Then I stated how much of a joke that ballpark is. I am fairly certain that I could jack one there.

This series is very even. We finally have the two best teams playing for the championship. The only edge I can see for either team is that the Phillies have a slightly better overall bullpen right now. The Yanks lack of rotation depth should be a concern for Yankee fans. However, Cole Hamels scares me right now. I honestly have no idea which Cole is going to show up tomorrow night.
    See ball, hit ball.

True, even as a Yankee fan Matsui HR would be questionable in other ballparks. BUT we can also make the argument that if Matsui hadnt hiit that HR maybe umpires wouldnt have screwed up the alleged double play call, and we might still take the 2 run lead anyway.

If starter can get through 7 innings, or 5 with BP pitching 2, and handing it over to Mo, I think we are safe.

I like you Phillies fans here. Very classy. Good luck to you folks.

I like you Phillies fans here. Very classy. Good luck to you folks.
    Thank you. Same to you guys.

Last night a bad call went for each side. Utley was safe in the 8th preventing Howard from coming up in the inning with men on. That blown call was huge for us. I think more so than the one against that Yanks.

The Yankees and Phillies are both professional teams that play the game the right way. You have to respect that no matter who you root for
    See ball, hit ball.

Great game last night.

I'm glad the Crimson Tide has a bye this week, because I cannot take their close wins along with Mo saving another close one Saturday night. BP getting a little high. They are playing the same games-- few points scored, and the defense has to hold on to win.

Enjoy your weekends, everyone.

Thank you. Same to you guys.

Last night a bad call went for each side. Utley was safe in the 8th preventing Howard from coming up in the inning with men on. That blown call was huge for us. I think more so than the one against that Yanks.

The Yankees and Phillies are both professional teams that play the game the right way. You have to respect that no matter who you root for
    Yes, plus it wouldnt be all bad if Yankees did lose. At least Chan Ho Park finally gets a ring. IF they lose.

Yes, plus it wouldnt be all bad if Yankees did lose. At least Chan Ho Park finally gets a ring. IF they lose.

I'd rather see Swisher, Burnett, Tex, Matsui, Arod, Cano, etc.....

Share the wealth. please.

Yankees, 106 years (I think): 26 rings
    Phillies, 126 years: 2 rings

See ball, hit ball.

Blog Entries
    Phils just announed Joe Blanton for Game 4, Cliff Lee for Game 5.

Here's Blanton's career Vs. Yankees: 4 Games - 0W-3L - 8.18 ERA

Joe Blanton...just what the doctor ordered.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

I feel much better about the Yankees chances against Blanton . . . particularly as this makes it very unlikely that Lee could start in Game 7 (should the series go that far).

......how bout the Yankees pick him up cheap for 2010 and he gets one next year ok?

Joe Blanton...just what the doctor ordered.
    I wouldn't say that. He had some early season struggles, however, he pitched well most of the year. Its not a "gimme" by any stretch of the imagination. Yanks have CC on short rest, right?
    See ball, hit ball.

Share the wealth. please.

Yankees, 106 years (I think): 26 rings
    Phillies, 126 years: 2 rings

26 rings in 39 appearances.....that blows my mind everytime. Over all different eras, different rules. Pretty amazing. Sorry PhilliesPhan...not what you wanted to hear (but you did bring it up)

Thanks for coming in here with class PhilliesPhan The Phillies are a great team and I was hoping that it would be this matchup with two original franchises with a lot of history behind them. Not the Dodgers though....played them too many times The only thing that would surprise me if it went five either way.
    Last edited by johnnypapa; 10-30-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say that. He had some early season struggles, however, he pitched well most of the year. Its not a "gimme" by any stretch of the imagination. Yanks have CC on short rest, right?
    CC will probably go in Game 4, Chad Gaudin gets Cliff Lee in Game 5. That one should be fun.
    Although the game may not be a "gimme" I like the Yanks chances very much so.

Blanton had an ERA of almost 5 in Sept. His start against LA in the ALCS didn't go too well, 6 Inn - 4 Runs.
    Last edited by TonyStarks; 10-30-2009 at 02:21 PM.

What other choices does Charlie have? Lee never went on 3 days rest, right? And I guess he wants to keep Happ in the bullpen. CC pitched pretty much lights out against the Angels on three days rest. But your right....nothing is a gimme.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast