Thread: Nick Esasky

Nick Esasky

Where is he now?

Does anyone else have those moments, "I wonder what happened to so-and-so," and Google is just no help at all?

It looks like he really has his hands full these days.

Tragedy inspires ex-baseball pro
    Erin Moriarty
    Staff Writer
    Nick Esasky retired in 1992 after playing baseball for the Cincinnati Reds, Boston Red Sox and briefly for the Atlanta Braves.

Now the Atlanta resident is going to bat again, but this time in a different field: fighting meth.

The former Major League Baseball player says his daughter has battled a serious methamphetamine addiction for several years and he knows firsthand the horrible anxiety and pain the drug causes families. He is starting a foundation to help families suffering from the devastation of meth and to prevent the spread of the insidiously addictive drug.

"My plans are to generate as much interest and awareness as I can and raise as much money as I can to help fight this problem," Esasky said.

Esasky's saga illustrates how the drug, once stereotyped as "the poor man's cocaine," is transcending socioeconomic lines and settling into wealthy suburban communities. Delivering an exhilarating boost of energy and a peppy high that lasts for hours, the powerful stimulant has become more mainstream -- from privileged teenagers to working professionals.

"She had all the opportunities of an upper-middle-class life," he said of his daughter. "She had a mom, a dad and a home and all the things that would protect her from that problem."

Esasky is deeply motivated to help others by his own family's heartache.

His daughter experimented with drugs as a teenager and when she was 19, decided meth was her drug of choice, Esasky says. Meth sent her life spiraling out of control, as her family desperately tried to help her. A couple of years later, she gave birth to a baby girl, but continued her meth-fueled lifestyle, Esasky said.

After countless attempts to coax his daughter into rehab, Esasky decided to take more drastic measures.

"I didn't know where she was at night or who she was with and I was worried that something horrible would happen to her or my granddaughter," he said. "My first fight was to protect and save my granddaughter and my second fight was to try to help my daughter."

So Esasky went to court to get custody of the baby. He then hired a private investigator to track down his daughter, who was on the run with the 1-year-old and still heavily using meth, Esasky said. Losing custody of the child sent her on a meth binge for several weeks, but she eventually reached a turning point and finally agreed to go to rehab, Esasky said.

Coping with adversity is nothing new for Esasky, 45, who played professional baseball for nearly a decade.

His promising career ended unexpectedly early after he was diagnosed with vertigo, which made it impossible to play the game he loved. Esasky, who still suffers from the condition, has spent his days managing investments.

"You can either let it eat you up and swallow you, or you can live with it and make the most of what you've got," he said.

Esasky faces his latest challenge with that same attitude. With his daughter two months into inpatient rehab and his 16-month-old granddaughter safe in his Alpharetta home, he is ready to start a new season of his life.

He recently filed for 501(c)(3) status as a nonprofit organization for his foundation, which is called K.I.M. Foundation for "Kids in Meth."

Esasky has purchased several domain names for the foundation and is building Web sites, which he hopes will become clearinghouses for useful information on meth and other drugs, as well as cyberspace gathering places for families coping with addiction.

In dealing with his own daughter's drug problem, Esasky says he found little information on meth intervention, treatment and rehabilitation. He found even less support for drug treatment programs, which families often pay for out of pocket.

"My daughter is fortunate to have me to be able to afford to pay for her treatment and take care of her daughter, but not everyone is," he said. "So, as much as I can raise awareness and raise money to help other people, I'm going to do that."

One of his main goals is to help fund treatment for those who cannot afford it, which he says is desperately needed.

Esasky also plans to build a transitional home for single mothers to help them continue their drug treatment while caring for their children. He says he learned the importance of this when his own daughter resisted rehab because she didn't want to lose contact with her baby.

He has faith that the new foundation will help reach people in need.

"It's going to be a big challenge, but my daughter and others like her have even more of a challenge because they have to fight that addiction every day," he said. "She's done very well so far ... and we're hoping her experience will be able to help others."

How old is that article?

Can't help but root for him.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

I wish nothing but the best for the Esasky family and hope everyone comes out of this horrible situation all right.