Thread: Are the Dodgers Los Angeles' Team?

Are the Dodgers Los Angeles' Team?

It is now over 52 years since the beloved Brooklyn dodgers relocated to the friendly confines of chavez ravine (yes i know the dodgers did not play their first games at dodger stadium).

During that time, the dodgers have won 4 championships, 8 pennants..... but their last WS win has not occurred for 21 years, the last being in 1988 against the might Oakland A's.

During the last 30 years Los Angeles has witnessed the meteoric rise of Laker basketball, winning numerous championships and bringing basketball from relatively obscurity to national prominence.

IN your estimation, which team, the Dodgers or Lakers can be considered Los Angeles' team and why?

Quote Originally Posted by afroinvestor View Post
    It is now over 52 years since the beloved Brooklyn dodgers relocated to the friendly confines of chavez ravine (yes i know the dodgers did not play their first games at dodger stadium).

During that time, the dodgers have won 4 championships, 8 pennants..... but their last WS win has not occurred for 21 years, the last being in 1988 against the might Oakland A's.

During the last 30 years Los Angeles has witnessed the meteoric rise of Laker basketball, winning numerous championships and bringing basketball from relatively obscurity to national prominence.

IN your estimation, which team, the Dodgers or Lakers can be considered Los Angeles' team and why?
    IMO, the Lakers are the team for the "beautiful people", where as the Dodgers have become the team for Los Angeles' "everyman". Of course, I live in Indiana, so I don't have any personal stories to back that up. That's the impression that I get. (Bosstones!)
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

My observations:

1. Lakers
    2. USC
    3. Dodgers
    4. UCLA
    5. Angels
    6. Kings
    7. Galaxy (huge hispanic population and following)
    8. Chivas USA (see above)
    9. Clippers
    10. Ducks

Honorable mention to the Raiders and Chargers who also have a very sizable following among Angelinos.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by jnakamura View Post
    My observations:

1. Lakers
    2. USC Bandwagon Following
    3. Dodgers
    4. UCLA
    5. Angels Bandwagon Following
    6. Kings
    9. Clippers
    10. Ducks Bandwagon Following

Honorable mention to the Raiders and Chargers who also have a very sizable following among Angelinos.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

The Angels of course have profited from a "bandwagon" effect after their 2002 championship, but they have always had a pretty decent following. Even back in the 70s and 80s they were among the league leaders in attendance with a decent Los Angeles following.

SC has been so good for so long now that they more than likely developed a young fan base that will "stick". That being said, if the program goes south in future years they will more than likely drop down the list a bit.

For out and out consistency in popularity through the years, I'd say the Lakers and Dodgers are the top LA teams.

The Ducks? I have yet to ever meet a single Ducks fan in all my years in LA. I think their fan base is at least 90% limited to Orange County.
    Last edited by jnakamura; 12-24-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Blog Entries
    At least the sports in L.A. aren't scattered around like in the Bay Area. Look at this mess.

Baseball -San Francisco and Oakland
    Football - See above
    Basketball - Oakland
    Hockey - San Jose
    College powerhouses - Palo Alto and Berkeley.

It's just funny to me that San Franciscans can claim the San Jose Sharks as their team.

Here in L.A., we keep our teams in one town. And we don't count the Angels and Ducks as ours.

The Ducks? I have yet to ever meet a single Ducks fan in all my years in LA. I think their fan base is at least 90% limited to Orange County.
    So many Ducks fans crawled out of the woodwork after they won the cup.

It really burns me when I run into someone who is a Lakers/Ducks fan.

As for the Kings, the only people that follow them are your traditional WASP's, and Eastern Europeans that have been coming in by the boatload since '91.

People of all backgrounds love the Lakers and Dodgers. Those two teams most accurately represent the community.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
    So many Ducks fans crawled out of the woodwork after they won the cup.

It really burns me when I run into someone who is a Lakers/Ducks fan.

As for the Kings, the only people that follow them are your traditional WASP's, and Eastern Europeans that have been coming in by the boatload since '91.

People of all backgrounds love the Lakers and Dodgers. Those two teams most accurately represent the community.
    The Kings and Dodgers' fan base is more local than the Lakers' fan base. That's why you see a lot of Lakers/non-L.A. baseball/hockey teams fans. When you see a Kings fan, it's most likely a Dodger fan, and vice versa. Jack Nicholson and Denzel Washington are not Dodger fans yet they root for the Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
    The Kings and Dodgers' fan base is more local than the Lakers' fan base. That's why you see a lot of Lakers/non-L.A. baseball/hockey teams fans. When you see a Kings fan, it's most likely a Dodger fan, and vice versa. Jack Nicholson and Denzel Washington are not Dodger fans yet they root for the Lakers.
    Yeah, EVERYONE is a Laker fan. A lot of idiots, too.

I want to rip off Denzel's black-on-black Yankee hat, run onto center court and light that thing on fire.

What's the deal with Nicholson anyway? He was born out in the NY area, he likes the Yankees and the Lakers. He should either stick to Knicks/Yanks, or do Dodgers/Lakers.

What a horrible sports life he must have. He's probably a Niner/Steeler/Cowboy fan as well. Poor guy.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

I've seen some wacky things, Philly fan who also likes the Lakers, Philly fan who likes the DODGERS AND the Phillies I'm Mexican and i like the Kings! I just never found basketball all that exciting.
    My observations:

1. Lakers
    2. USC
    3. Dodgers
    4. UCLA
    5. Angels
    6. Kings
    9. Clippers
    10. Ducks

I would put the Ducks at 5, though i heard the bandwagons have dropped off recently with them sucking, i was at the pond for a Kings game and it was nearly half full. Raiders and Chargers probably in 3 or 4......

^ Oh man Yankee hats.......urghhhhh, at a Dodger game or any random game you can guarantee seeing a Yankee hat a Red Sox hat and something with a Cowboys logo, damn that's irritating!
    22 League Pennants

Assume nothing; Question everything