Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104

Thread: 2010 SF Giants Hot Stove

  1. 2010 SF Giants Hot Stove

    The Giants signed free-agent infielder Mark DeRosa on a two-year deal worth $12 million.
    Pablo is moving to 1st now. I guess Ishikawa will come off the bench?
    Go Gigantes!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    There is no need to move Sandoval to first base.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    There is no need to move Sandoval to first base.
    Many in the Giants organization have said Pablo's future is at 1B so do you think they wont make that move now?

    Who is the 1B then?
    Go Gigantes!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    So very unenthused about DeRosa.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    So very unenthused about DeRosa.
    I would rather have had Uggla.
    DeRosa gets 12 mil over 2 years. Not too bad for a 35 year old.
    I hope he does well.
    Go Gigantes!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,015
    I can't tell you how underwhelmed I am by this...

    This improves us how???
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I can't tell you how underwhelmed I am by this...

    This improves us how???
    He can play outfield, so instead of Fred Lewis, DeRosa? It's a stretch, I know.

    What the heck are they doing about the catcher position? Thought Torrealba was available for a 2 year deal? I'd rather see Cain bat than Whiteside.

    Whiteside has a negative OPS effect. Geeze is he a black hole at the plate or what.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    He can play outfield, so instead of Fred Lewis, DeRosa? It's a stretch, I know.

    What the heck are they doing about the catcher position? Thought Torrealba was available for a 2 year deal? I'd rather see Cain bat than Whiteside.

    Whiteside has a negative OPS effect. Geeze is he a black hole at the plate or what.
    I'm not saying he's Johnny Bench or Mike Piazza, but it's very difficult to hit well consistently when you generally play 1 day a week.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    I'm not saying he's Johnny Bench or Mike Piazza, but it's very difficult to hit well consistently when you generally play 1 day a week.
    True that, he still inspires no confidence with that swing of his, he looks overmatched against a mid 80's fast ball. I suppose he might go from complete vacuum to some less suckage.

    I'd be happy if I thought he (or any signing) could approach league average.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by chris14 View Post
    Many in the Giants organization have said Pablo's future is at 1B so do you think they wont make that move now?
    Who is this "Many"? Pablo is just 23 years old. He played his first full season as a third baseman in '09. It seems strange to me to just give up on Pablo at third base after one full year,

    Who is the 1B then?
    Adam LaRoche. The giants have offered LaRoche a contract.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    188
    I'm too lazy to look it up (can you feel my excitement?), but didn't DeRosa hit mid-200's last year? Hit just over 20 HR I think.
    "There's no crying in Baseball!"
    -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    824
    Quote Originally Posted by hallzee View Post
    I'm too lazy to look it up (can you feel my excitement?), but didn't DeRosa hit mid-200's last year? Hit just over 20 HR I think.
    He hit exactly .250, but that was with missing a month because of a wrist injury and that injury hampering him when he came back. He'll probably produce about what Aaron Rowand has done with a slightly better batting average.

  13. #13
    Signing DeRosa didn't surprise me. I expected Sabean to talk it up like this is a great move for the team, fills key needs, and then we can watch DeRosa not live up to expectations. See Roberts, Dave or Renteria, Edgar or Rowand, Aaron or .....

    Panda played a solid 3B last year. I wouldn't rush him off to 1B unless/until he shows that he can't play the position. I would have rather seen the Giants get someone like Mike Jacobs to play 1B and keep Panda at the hot corner. Yes, Jacobs uses a frying pan instead of a mitt. Let's get JT Snow to spend some time with him and get him up to adequate. Yes, Jacobs refuses to walk and doesn't get on base - he'd fit right in with the Giants offensive philosophy. Yes, Jacobs does have legit 30-homer power, something the Giants desperately need. You aren't going to get anything close to that with DeRosa.

    So my reaction to the DeRosa signing is ZZzzzzz

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CTaka View Post
    Signing DeRosa didn't surprise me. I expected Sabean to talk it up like this is a great move for the team, fills key needs, and then we can watch DeRosa not live up to expectations. See Roberts, Dave or Renteria, Edgar or Rowand, Aaron or .....

    Panda played a solid 3B last year. I wouldn't rush him off to 1B unless/until he shows that he can't play the position. I would have rather seen the Giants get someone like Mike Jacobs to play 1B and keep Panda at the hot corner. Yes, Jacobs uses a frying pan instead of a mitt. Let's get JT Snow to spend some time with him and get him up to adequate. Yes, Jacobs refuses to walk and doesn't get on base - he'd fit right in with the Giants offensive philosophy. Yes, Jacobs does have legit 30-homer power, something the Giants desperately need. You aren't going to get anything close to that with DeRosa.

    So my reaction to the DeRosa signing is ZZzzzzz
    Jacobs would be an absolutely dreadful pickup since he's essentially a one-trick pony - power - but doesn't have nearly enough of it to subsidize below average production in every other offensive facet. Take into account the relatively weak defensive and the onerous hitting dynamic PacBell has on LH batters, that move would be a disaster...

    Getting back to the DeRosa signing; Sabean convinces me more & more everyday his head is permanently planted up his ass. DeRosa is not the right fit at this age for the Giants. His middling power would play much better in a more hitting friendly yard such as Fenway park, where he still has enough of it to smash 20 HR and 40 doubles. He will see many a flyball caught on the warning track in SF. Signing Uggla would have been much better: he's 6 years younger, has more power and works the count more adeptly. He can play the infield, albeit not particularly well, whereas DeRosa probably cant at this stage. Its also a well known fact the Marlins are trying to save money by dumping Uggla's salary so he could be had given the right deal. Uggla also makes just over $6M/year so this is in line with DeRosa. If we could give up promising pitcher Scott Barnes up for Ryan Garko why couldn't we make a decent offer for Uggla?

    This reeks of more take-it-or-leave-it lateral uninspiring signings by Sabean. Somebody HAS to prevent this man from making FA signings in the future. My prediction on DeRosa's performance in 2010: .260 / 15 HR / 65 RBI / 24 doubles in 450 AB's; he also spends at least one stint on the DL, possibly two. And this is going to adavnce the teams playoff hopes how exactly? Sure seems like Sabean loves his FA mediocrity.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    Jacobs would be an absolutely dreadful pickup since he's essentially a one-trick pony - power - but doesn't have nearly enough of it to subsidize below average production in every other offensive facet. Take into account the relatively weak defensive and the onerous hitting dynamic PacBell has on LH batters, that move would be a disaster...

    Getting back to the DeRosa signing; Sabean convinces me more & more everyday his head is permanently planted up his ass. DeRosa is not the right fit at this age for the Giants. His middling power would play much better in a more hitting friendly yard such as Fenway park, where he still has enough of it to smash 20 HR and 40 doubles. He will see many a flyball caught on the warning track in SF. Signing Uggla would have been much better: he's 6 years younger, has more power and works the count more adeptly. He can play the infield, albeit not particularly well, whereas DeRosa probably cant at this stage. Its also a well known fact the Marlins are trying to save money by dumping Uggla's salary so he could be had given the right deal. Uggla also makes just over $6M/year so this is in line with DeRosa. If we could give up promising pitcher Scott Barnes up for Ryan Garko why couldn't we make a decent offer for Uggla?

    This reeks of more take-it-or-leave-it lateral uninspiring signings by Sabean. Somebody HAS to prevent this man from making FA signings in the future. My prediction on DeRosa's performance in 2010: .260 / 15 HR / 65 RBI / 24 doubles in 450 AB's; he also spends at least one stint on the DL, possibly two. And this is going to adavnce the teams playoff hopes how exactly? Sure seems like Sabean loves his FA mediocrity.
    The thing is that Sabean:

    1) Has no vision of a long term plan
    The Giants have some pieces in place for a legit playoff team. They lack serious offensive production. Yet Sabean doesn't really address these areas.

    2). Has zero understanding as to how a modern offense works.
    Sabean has stated that thinking about OBP makes his his head hurt. Apparently, Sabean thinks "gamers", "professional hitters", and "winners" can makes up for lack of getting on base and hitting for power.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 12-30-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Mike Jacobs would be AWFUL!!

    My prediction for Mark DeRosa: .265/.325/.395 - 15 HR

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alameda, Ca.
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    Jacobs would be an absolutely dreadful pickup since he's essentially a one-trick pony - power - but doesn't have nearly enough of it to subsidize below average production in every other offensive facet. Take into account the relatively weak defensive and the onerous hitting dynamic PacBell has on LH batters, that move would be a disaster...

    Getting back to the DeRosa signing; Sabean convinces me more & more everyday his head is permanently planted up his ass. DeRosa is not the right fit at this age for the Giants. His middling power would play much better in a more hitting friendly yard such as Fenway park, where he still has enough of it to smash 20 HR and 40 doubles. He will see many a flyball caught on the warning track in SF. Signing Uggla would have been much better: he's 6 years younger, has more power and works the count more adeptly. He can play the infield, albeit not particularly well, whereas DeRosa probably cant at this stage. Its also a well known fact the Marlins are trying to save money by dumping Uggla's salary so he could be had given the right deal. Uggla also makes just over $6M/year so this is in line with DeRosa. If we could give up promising pitcher Scott Barnes up for Ryan Garko why couldn't we make a decent offer for Uggla?

    This reeks of more take-it-or-leave-it lateral uninspiring signings by Sabean. Somebody HAS to prevent this man from making FA signings in the future. My prediction on DeRosa's performance in 2010: .260 / 15 HR / 65 RBI / 24 doubles in 450 AB's; he also spends at least one stint on the DL, possibly two. And this is going to adavnce the teams playoff hopes how exactly? Sure seems like Sabean loves his FA mediocrity.
    The reason they coudn't make a decent offer to Uggla may be because they gave up Barnes for Garko, and their cupboard of second tier prospects is running dry.
    They need to bite the bullet and trade Cain for Fielder.
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blog

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
    The reason they coudn't make a decent offer to Uggla may be because they gave up Barnes for Garko,
    More evidence that Sabean has no long term plan. Where are all the Giants' fans that supported the Sanchez and Garko trades now?

    and their cupboard of second tier prospects is running dry.
    Not really. I believe Baseball America ranks the Giants minor league system #4 or #5 among the 30 major league teams. However, most of their top talent is in the lower minors.

    They need to bite the bullet and trade Cain for Fielder.
    I seriously doubt the Brewers would trade Fielder for Cain straight up. They'd want more in return. Besides, do the giants really need to big bodies (Fielder and Sandoval) playing the corner infield positions?
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 01-04-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Redwood City
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    More evidence that Sabean has no long term plan. Where are all the Giants' fans that supported the Sanchez and Garko trades now?
    I tried to tell those idiots how stoopid that was, but nothing doing. Bunch rocks for brains those guys.

    I still say the same people complaining about these trades would have complained about none, and there was only one possibility that was proffered as an alternative that looks like it would have been better (at the time, and now).

    Yeah,yeah, Garko turned out bad. And agree, the Giant's organization doesn't seem to have any long term plans. Just look how poorly their minor leagues are stocked. Kidding, I agree with your point actually.

    Personally had few expectations this off season based on the available talent. The most coveted batter available was Jason Bay? He's a regular solid batter being given a almost Superstar paycheck. 16M/Year and a bum knee?

    There seems to be a dearth of batting talent available right now.

  20. #20

    Uribe signing

    Do we think Uribe can help as well as he did last season in the utility role or should he play mors consistently somewhere? Looks like we can use another .289 season.



    http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=sf

    /Mats

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •