Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jason Bay

Bay with 2 home runs today. He's on a pace to hit 23 this season. He's putting up a .239/.343/.479 line with an .822 OPS.

As a loogy Oliver Perez has 28 strikeouts in 20 innings with a 1.35 ERA.

Kazmir pitched 7 innings and gave up 1 run in his last start.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

There was a nice article a few sundays ago (in the Post I think) on Kazmir. Bay still isn't the player he used to be. Either he lost it when he signed with us, or CitiField messed him up. He was a HUGE bust with us, but I will still root for him. Perez can go scratch, he is a bad pitcher, and a primadonna.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    There was a nice article a few sundays ago (in the Post I think) on Kazmir. Bay still isn't the player he used to be. Either he lost it when he signed with us, or CitiField messed him up. He was a HUGE bust with us, but I will still root for him. Perez can go scratch, he is a bad pitcher, and a primadonna.
    I am pulling for Bay. He is on pace for 25 homers this year.

Citi Field no doubt spooked him as I have read and heard. Add in the fact that the injuries didn't help, and playing in front of some of the worst fans in all of sports also wasn't a big plus.

You are saying that Mets fans are "some of the worst?" I don't go to Citi Field, and didn't watch every Mets game during the "Bay" era, but I thought Mets fans treated him pretty well considering how horrible he played while a Met. Sure he was booed, but he was terrible for a long time and don't remember much booing at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by EasilyFound View Post
    You are saying that Mets fans are "some of the worst?" I don't go to Citi Field, and didn't watch every Mets game during the "Bay" era, but I thought Mets fans treated him pretty well considering how horrible he played while a Met. Sure he was booed, but he was terrible for a long time and don't remember much booing at the beginning.
    When the fans were cheering after he was injured and walking off the field that was some of the worse fan reaction I have ever seen. It was truly a disgusting display

Booing because a player is under-performing is one thing....its stupid....but its one thing. Cheering an injury is bad enough but to have the home fans cheer it is unforgiveable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    When the fans were cheering after he was injured and walking off the field that was some of the worse fan reaction I have ever seen. It was truly a disgusting display

Booing because a player is under-performing is one thing....its stupid....but its one thing. Cheering an injury is bad enough but to have the home fans cheer it is unforgiveable.
    Yes. Yes. Forgot about that. Agree with you 100% on that one.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

Mariners designate Jason Bay for assignment.

Interesting article recently appeared in the Boston Herald:

Recalling Jason Bay’s best days

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

By:
    John Tomase

SEATTLE — It can’t be that Jason Bay only spent 200 games in a Red Sox uniform. He played at least five years in Boston, right?

“I get that from a lot of people,” Bay said.

That’s because he will forever be associated with the Red Sox. He may have won a Rookie of the Year award and made two All-Star teams over six years with the Pirates. He may have bombed tremendously over three injury-ravaged seasons with the Mets. He may now be home in Seattle “on the back-hill slide” of his career, as he puts it.

But say the name Jason Bay, and people immediately think Red Sox.

“It was only a year and a half, but I look back at it very fondly,” Bay said before facing his old team for the first time, as a member of the Mariners, last night. “Getting the chance to go to the playoffs, I really did enjoy my time there. It’s something I definitely won’t forget, that’s for sure.”

Now Bay finds himself in an interesting place. He came to Mariners spring training on a one-year contract — with no guarantee he’d make the roster — after mutually agreeing to part ways with the Mets, who had given him a $66 million contract in December 2009, only to see concussions and ineffectiveness ruin his career in New York before it ever got going.

For the first time in his career, Bay had to make a team, and he found the entire process liberating. He entered last night’s game hitting just .220, but with his trademark patience (.321 OBP) and power (11 home runs despite playing in cavernous Safeco Field) intact.

“It’s the evolution of a career, I guess,” the 34-year-old Bay said. “I really enjoy it. It’s different. I’m at a position in my life where I’m comfortable with where I’m at. I’ve got three kids at home. I’m definitely on the back-hill slide. So when I came here, it fell on me. It wasn’t a contract. I wasn’t traded here. It was all on me. That’s a position I had never been in since I got to the big leagues, and in a strange way, I really enjoyed it.”

Indeed, when the Pirates acquired Bay from the Padres for Brian Giles in 2003, Bay didn’t have to win playing time.

“ ‘It’s your job. We have nobody else,’ ” Bay said.

When he arrived from the Pirates in the tornado of the 2008 trade deadline as part of the deal that sent Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to the Dodgers, it was a trial by fire.

Bay still considers that first week in Boston the most memorable moment of his tenure. He hit .293 with nine homers over the final 49 games, and then authored a monster playoffs, hitting .341 with three homers, including a game-winner against the Angels.

“I come from Pittsburgh after six years, and all of a sudden there’s no grace period. Overnight, I’m in a pennant race,” Bay said. “And getting traded for Manny didn’t make it any easier, although I was so engulfed in everything else, it wasn’t even an issue. That first week is a blur. There was definitely a 24-hour culture shock.”

Things ended poorly between Bay and the Red Sox after the 2009 season, with the team withdrawing a four-year contract offer because the medical staff feared the long-term viability of his knees, which he’s never had an issue with.

“Not that I know of,” he said ruefully.

The Sox instead pursued outfielder Matt Holliday before settling on right-hander John Lackey. Bay got over his bitterness a long time ago and doesn’t waste time thinking about what might have been.

“You can play that game all day,” he said. “I try to focus on the now and what I’ve done and where I’m going. You move on and get on with life.”

That leaves the Mets. Bay hit just .234 with 26 homers over three years. He suffered a debilitating concussion and broke a rib, but refuses to blame injuries for his poor performance.

“When I was on the field, I didn’t perform like I wanted or people expected,” Bay said. “I need to own up to that.”

The Mets reached an agreement to terminate his contract in November and now here Bay is, finishing his career at home, just over the border from where he grew up in Canada.

“For whatever reason, I was ineffective and didn’t get it done in New York,” Bay said. “Ultimately, that’s why I’m here. That’s part of life as well.”

I still think the Mets playing Bay prematurely with a concussion was a big factor in his erosion of talent. The Jeff Wilpon era Mets have a policy of rushing players back from injury so they can get their "money's worth". I think about things like this when I hear the Mets are planning to bring back Niese this season despite his partially torn rotator cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

Mariners designate Jason Bay for assignment.

Interesting article recently appeared in the Boston Herald:

Recalling Jason Bay’s best days

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

By:
    John Tomase

SEATTLE — It can’t be that Jason Bay only spent 200 games in a Red Sox uniform. He played at least five years in Boston, right?

“I get that from a lot of people,” Bay said.

That’s because he will forever be associated with the Red Sox. He may have won a Rookie of the Year award and made two All-Star teams over six years with the Pirates. He may have bombed tremendously over three injury-ravaged seasons with the Mets. He may now be home in Seattle “on the back-hill slide” of his career, as he puts it.

But say the name Jason Bay, and people immediately think Red Sox.

“It was only a year and a half, but I look back at it very fondly,” Bay said before facing his old team for the first time, as a member of the Mariners, last night. “Getting the chance to go to the playoffs, I really did enjoy my time there. It’s something I definitely won’t forget, that’s for sure.”

Now Bay finds himself in an interesting place. He came to Mariners spring training on a one-year contract — with no guarantee he’d make the roster — after mutually agreeing to part ways with the Mets, who had given him a $66 million contract in December 2009, only to see concussions and ineffectiveness ruin his career in New York before it ever got going.

For the first time in his career, Bay had to make a team, and he found the entire process liberating. He entered last night’s game hitting just .220, but with his trademark patience (.321 OBP) and power (11 home runs despite playing in cavernous Safeco Field) intact.

“It’s the evolution of a career, I guess,” the 34-year-old Bay said. “I really enjoy it. It’s different. I’m at a position in my life where I’m comfortable with where I’m at. I’ve got three kids at home. I’m definitely on the back-hill slide. So when I came here, it fell on me. It wasn’t a contract. I wasn’t traded here. It was all on me. That’s a position I had never been in since I got to the big leagues, and in a strange way, I really enjoyed it.”

Indeed, when the Pirates acquired Bay from the Padres for Brian Giles in 2003, Bay didn’t have to win playing time.

“ ‘It’s your job. We have nobody else,’ ” Bay said.

When he arrived from the Pirates in the tornado of the 2008 trade deadline as part of the deal that sent Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox to the Dodgers, it was a trial by fire.

Bay still considers that first week in Boston the most memorable moment of his tenure. He hit .293 with nine homers over the final 49 games, and then authored a monster playoffs, hitting .341 with three homers, including a game-winner against the Angels.

“I come from Pittsburgh after six years, and all of a sudden there’s no grace period. Overnight, I’m in a pennant race,” Bay said. “And getting traded for Manny didn’t make it any easier, although I was so engulfed in everything else, it wasn’t even an issue. That first week is a blur. There was definitely a 24-hour culture shock.”

Things ended poorly between Bay and the Red Sox after the 2009 season, with the team withdrawing a four-year contract offer because the medical staff feared the long-term viability of his knees, which he’s never had an issue with.

“Not that I know of,” he said ruefully.

The Sox instead pursued outfielder Matt Holliday before settling on right-hander John Lackey. Bay got over his bitterness a long time ago and doesn’t waste time thinking about what might have been.

“You can play that game all day,” he said. “I try to focus on the now and what I’ve done and where I’m going. You move on and get on with life.”

That leaves the Mets. Bay hit just .234 with 26 homers over three years. He suffered a debilitating concussion and broke a rib, but refuses to blame injuries for his poor performance.

“When I was on the field, I didn’t perform like I wanted or people expected,” Bay said. “I need to own up to that.”

The Mets reached an agreement to terminate his contract in November and now here Bay is, finishing his career at home, just over the border from where he grew up in Canada.

“For whatever reason, I was ineffective and didn’t get it done in New York,” Bay said. “Ultimately, that’s why I’m here. That’s part of life as well.”

I still think the Mets playing Bay prematurely with a concussion was a big factor in his erosion of talent. The Jeff Wilpon era Mets have a policy of rushing players back from injury so they can get their "money's worth". I think about things like this when I hear the Mets are planning to bring back Niese this season despite his partially torn rotator cuff.

The Mets are just vile when it comes to this type situation. Its like Fred/Jeff want to squeeze everything they can out of you at of you today and to hell with the tomorrow. It is so short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    The Mets are just vile when it comes to this type situation. Its like Fred/Jeff want to squeeze everything they can out of you at of you today and to hell with the tomorrow. It is so short sighted.
    Yep.

As was the case with Ryan Church they apparently ruined Jason Bay's career, too:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...&vkey=news_mlb

Bay tells news outlet he's planning to retire

By Joey Nowak / MLB.com | 1/11/2014 6:29 P.M. ET

Outfielder Jason Bay is reportedly planning to retire, the veteran told Sportsnet.ca's Shi Davidi.

Bay says he has not filed any official papers, but tells Davidi he "can't see a scenario in which he comes back to play."

Bay, 35, spent his 11-year career with five different clubs and was released by the Mariners on Aug. 6. He had signed with Seattle as a free agent prior to last season after being released by the Mets.

After debuting with the Padres, Bay spent six seasons with the Pirates, winning the National League Rookie of the Year Award in 2004. He was an All-Star the following two seasons, and in 2009 with the Red Sox.

Bay appeared in 1,278 games and hit 222 homers and drove in 754 runs with a career .266 batting average.

I'd read a rumor he was considering playing in Japan, but this is the latest report. I wonder what it's doing on the Cincinnati Reds website?

Best of all the Wilpons never reinvested the money from his salary when he came off the books - at least not in the Mets.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456