• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulypal
    Met Fan Re-Set 2020
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Mongoose View Post
    Bay so far... 2 home runs, 8 RBI, with a .276/.368/.431 split in 58 AB. He added another home run today (3) and has worked himself into the Mariners' starting lineup.

Ollie Perez has a 0.79 ERA as a loogie with 12K, 6BB and 6 hits allowed in 11.1 IP.

Just saying...
    I am really glad Bay is having some level success in Seattle. I really liked him because he always hustled and played hard despite his big struggles here. He was a classy player.

So classy in fact that Met fans didn't deserve his class. When they cheered after he was injured last year was one of the biggest lacks of class I had ever seen. It was disgusting.

Ollie on the other hand cant fail enough for me.

Comment

• Strawman
      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Paulypal View Post
      I am really glad Bay is having some level success in Seattle. I really liked him because he always hustled and played hard despite his big struggles here. He was a classy player.

So classy in fact that Met fans didn't deserve his class. When they cheered after he was injured last year was one of the biggest lacks of class I had ever seen. It was disgusting.

Ollie on the other hand cant fail enough for me.
      Not sure why - was Ollie really a bad guy? I know his on-field failures drove fans crazy (and his signing was a bad one), but you can argue he was a MUCH more successful Met than Jason Bay ever was.
      Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Paulypal
        Met Fan Re-Set 2020
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
        Not sure why - was Ollie really a bad guy? I know his on-field failures drove fans crazy (and his signing was a bad one), but you can argue he was a MUCH more successful Met than Jason Bay ever was.
        Obviously I am not measuring this by success. When Ollie absolutely sucked he refused to go down to work it out. Proving he was not there for the team he was there for Ollie. Not my type of player at all.

Its not the fact that he struggled but its how he reacted when he struggled when asked to be a team player.

Comment

• Strawman
          • Mar 2009

Obviously I am not measuring this by success. When Ollie absolutely sucked he refused to go down to work it out. Proving he was not there for the team he was there for Ollie. Not my type of player at all.

Its not the fact that he struggled but its how he reacted when he struggled when asked to be a team player.
          Yeah he was Ike Davis before Ike Davis - but with a huge contract. I dunno, Ollie had his decent moments too. I'd forgotten about the minor league thing.
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• rjsallstars
            Let's Go Mets
            • Aug 2008

Yeah he was Ike Davis before Ike Davis - but with a huge contract. I dunno, Ollie had his decent moments too. I'd forgotten about the minor league thing.
            Seriously? Ollie took the money and ran. He was a ridiculous signing when money was thrown around like candy. He refused to go to the minors and chose to do nothing to try to correct his problems and would rather sit on the bench for big league money, he is/was a dog! I am also happy for Bay, although I am not sure if his current limited success has more to do with escaping from NY or being healthy.

Comment

• Strawman
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by rjsallstars View Post
              Seriously? Ollie took the money and ran. He was a ridiculous signing when money was thrown around like candy. He refused to go to the minors and chose to do nothing to try to correct his problems and would rather sit on the bench for big league money, he is/was a dog! I am also happy for Bay, although I am not sure if his current limited success has more to do with escaping from NY or being healthy.
              Nah, Oliver Perez was a better Met than Jason Bay - I think he played harder too. Certainly cost less!

Comment

• SDL
                Who the hell is Stan Papi
                • Sep 2006

When you guys signed Bay, I said thanks for the draft picks

Thank you again
                sigpicMan, do I *HATE* the Yankees!!!!!!

Comment

• Paulypal
                  Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                  • Jul 2007

Nah, Oliver Perez was a better Met than Jason Bay - I think he played harder too. Certainly cost less!
                  Sometimes I wonder what your watching. Ollie is was now and will always be a punk. You cant knock Bay's effort. The results weren't there but he never dogged it...ever.

Comment

• Strawman
                    • Mar 2009

Sometimes I wonder what your watching. Ollie is was now and will always be a punk. You cant knock Bay's effort. The results weren't there but he never dogged it...ever.
                    Yeah I think Bay kinda dogged it a bit, got down on himself. Perez did too, but not as much - over the course of his Mets career, did a bit better. Apples and oranges, slugger vs. pitcher true. But I think all in all, Perez was the better Met.

Comment

• Paulypal
                      Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                      • Jul 2007

Yeah I think Bay kinda dogged it a bit, got down on himself. Perez did too, but not as much - over the course of his Mets career, did a bit better. Apples and oranges, slugger vs. pitcher true. But I think all in all, Perez was the better Met.
                      Yes Perez had a period of time when he pitched well and did have a better Met career, but that wasn't what was being brought up.

Bay is having some success and I am glad for him....Perez just cant fail enough for me. It wasn't about who was a better Met.

Comment

• pstein
                        Curmudgeon
                        • Sep 2010

Perez and Castillo were the embodiment of the Minaya era's issues.

Comment

• Strawman
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by pstein View Post
                          Perez and Castillo were the embodiment of the Minaya era's issues.
                          Again, I don't think either Perez or Castillo was a "bad guy." They just didn't have overwhelming success with the Mets. But they were both certainly better than Jason Bay - easily the worst signing of Minaya's tenure.

Outside of Perez not wanted to go down a la Ike Davis, I don't think either player had "issues" at all. Indeed, to me they overcame some significant booing from the non-baseball types in the stands in Queens - some of whom had issues of their own!

Comment

• rjsallstars
                            Let's Go Mets
                            • Aug 2008

Again, I don't think either Perez or Castillo was a "bad guy." They just didn't have overwhelming success with the Mets. But they were both certainly better than Jason Bay - easily the worst signing of Minaya's tenure.

Outside of Perez not wanted to go down a la Ike Davis, I don't think either player had "issues" at all. Indeed, to me they overcame some significant booing from the non-baseball types in the stands in Queens - some of whom had issues of their own!
                            this latest back and forth can equate to fighting over the ugliest girl in the bar! All three were terrible signings. If it is intended to claim certain players are given more of a break by the fan base because of there ethnicity I think that should be discussed somewhere else.

Comment

• Paulypal
                              Met Fan Re-Set 2020
                              • Jul 2007

Castillo wasn't a bad guy at all - he was just never forgiven for an error he made against the Yankees by a very silly fan base.

Ollie = Punk

Bay - terrible signing at the time he was signed. He was paid for Fenway numbers as he moved into Citi Morgue. Just plain stupid. Add that with a seemingly quick loss of skills, followed by a few serious head injuries and voila you have the Jason Bay saga. I never once got the sense that Bay gave up or dogged it.

If anyone insinuated that this is an ethnically driven opinion (which I didn't pick up on) then you need to rethink that point of view.

Comment

• Strawman
                                • Mar 2009

Castillo wasn't a bad guy at all - he was just never forgiven for an error he made against the Yankees by a very silly fan base.

Ollie = Punk

Bay - terrible signing at the time he was signed. He was paid for Fenway numbers as he moved into Citi Morgue. Just plain stupid. Add that with a seemingly quick loss of skills, followed by a few serious head injuries and voila you have the Jason Bay saga. I never once got the sense that Bay gave up or dogged it.

If anyone insinuated that this is an ethnically driven opinion (which I didn't pick up on) then you need to rethink that point of view.
                                Yeah I don't think this is really ethnically driven - don't see that angle here at all.

Still don't see Ollie as a punk really - he looked lost a lot of the time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X