Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jays in Chapman Sweepstakes

Quote Originally Posted by aqib View Post
    I don't think the freefall the US has been in for the past 2-3 years will continue into a death spiral. Also I don't think players factor in economic health. Urban decay is not an issue since they live in the best neighborhoods in every city. Like most Indians (other then the guys who just came up) don't live downtown they have mansions in Westlake (a ritzy suburb on the westside right on the Lake). Every MLB market has ritzy areas and night life.
    Yup, thats absolutely true. I just think the urban decay think may be relevant as it pertains to safety and overall 'appeal' of areas outside of their living quarters; a relatively minor consideration I might add.

The real advantage may lie in the fact that the Jays derive most of their revenues in CDN dollars and could tempt big time talent with paychecks in CDN dollars. I truly think the greenback is going to lose much of its value in devaluation in the next years - maybe even in the next two. Players seeking to retain the most value on their contract will seek safety outside of US denominated assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Maddux's Biggest Fan View Post
    Yup, thats absolutely true. I just think the urban decay think may be relevant as it pertains to safety and overall 'appeal' of areas outside of their living quarters; a relatively minor consideration I might add.

The real advantage may lie in the fact that the Jays derive most of their revenues in CDN dollars and could tempt big time talent with paychecks in CDN dollars. I truly think the greenback is going to lose much of its value in devaluation in the next years - maybe even in the next two. Players seeking to retain the most value on their contract will seek safety outside of US denominated assets.
    I don't mean to sound arrogant but I don't think MLB players think in those terms. Otherwise you would see guys taking less money to play in markets with lower costs of living. For example why would CC Sabathia take $23 million in NY vs $20 million in Milwaukee? A $1 million house in Milwaukee will cost you $15 million in NY.

I'm not entirely sure, but I assume that it's written in the CBA that paychecks are to be made out in US funds. Even if it were possible under the CBA, I'm not sure that the appeal of being paid Canadian dollars would be enough to be a deciding factor.

The biggest impact of a devalued US dollar (I'm not saying that it will happen, just speaking in the hypothetical) for the Jays would likely be that their salary costs would seem to drop. If the Canadian dollar goes from being on-par with the US dollar (where it essentially is today) to significantly higher than that this year, the USD salaries will cost less in Canadian dollars.

If I'm not mistaken, it is this effect that has helped Canadian hockey teams as of late.
    "Does this message discuss our national pastime in an interesting manner?"
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

Quote Originally Posted by Richmond Hill Phoenix View Post
    I'm not entirely sure, but I assume that it's written in the CBA that paychecks are to be made out in US funds. Even if it were possible under the CBA, I'm not sure that the appeal of being paid Canadian dollars would be enough to be a deciding factor.

The biggest impact of a devalued US dollar (I'm not saying that it will happen, just speaking in the hypothetical) for the Jays would likely be that their salary costs would seem to drop. If the Canadian dollar goes from being on-par with the US dollar (where it essentially is today) to significantly higher than that this year, the USD salaries will cost less in Canadian dollars.

If I'm not mistaken, it is this effect that has helped Canadian hockey teams as of late.
    Thats 100% Correct

P.S. We finally surpassed the San Franciso forum today for number of total posts!

Im not sure it's written in the CBA that players must be paid in US funds, but even if it isn't during a devaluation the Jays would have significantly more money to spend. In either instance, the Jays should become an increasingly attractive market because of the increased money to spend or ability to pay in CDN dollars.

Right, I completley agree. Either way, we're in good shape if the greenback tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
    P.S. We finally surpassed the San Franciso forum today for number of total posts!
    Next up: The Phillies.
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

Right, I completley agree. Either way, we're in good shape if the greenback tanks.

Next up: The Phillies.
    I got 3 Jay's fans from another forum to sign up here, and they are fairly active posters on the other one. I think we will catch up in no time!

Well revenues are the big key. We used to draw 4 million fans a year. We haven't hit 2.4 million since Clemmens was with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
    I got 3 Jay's fans from another forum to sign up here, and they are fairly active posters on the other one. I think we will catch up in no time!
    Good to hear. I've enjoyed the level of discussion lately and more quality posters are always a good thing.
    -BBF Policy, Section VII

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12