Thread: Hook of hamate fracture

Hook of hamate fracture

Have any of you knowledgable guys here ever had personal experience with an excision of the hook of hamate? My 14 year old is having the procedure this week. Specifically, what should we expect during the recovery? How long did was your recovery? Any specific rehab hints? Or any complications or set backs? Just trying to gather information. Thanks

I don't have any experience with this, but I remember Ken Griffey Jr had this done in the mid-90's. It's a fairly common injury for hitters because of the way the knob of the bat drives into the palm on the follow-through.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/20/sp...l?pagewanted=1

I have no personal experience with the injury or surgery, but as "dave" mentioned above, I understand it is a somewhat injury in golfers and baseball hitters . . .

Thanks for the replies. The surgery was done today. I will update our progress with the recovery in case it is helpful to someone else later.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The surgery was done today. I will update our progress with the recovery in case it is helpful to someone else later.
    Hope the recovery is going well!

When I had my hook of the hamate removed I was back swinging in approx. 2 months. I had the procedure done in the fall (Oct. 28th) and really began swinging fully during that winter break. I religiously performed my rehab/strengthening exercises. I didn't miss any games, however, I had to tape my wrist pretty heavily and it was still sore for a good part of the season. Did your doctor give your son a routine/outline of what to do?

We did not get a specific routine. His stitches were removed today. We went by a PT friend of mine's house and he said he already has full range of motion and pretty good grip strength. The incision site is sore for sure. Our surgeon (who is also a friend) only bandaged the site. No casting. Was your's casted? The information I am getting is when the soreness is gone he can start swinging. We are to return to the Doctor in 2 weeks and he may clear him then if all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints1 View Post
    We did not get a specific routine. His stitches were removed today. We went by a PT friend of mine's house and he said he already has full range of motion and pretty good grip strength. The incision site is sore for sure. Our surgeon (who is also a friend) only bandaged the site. No casting. Was your's casted? The information I am getting is when the soreness is gone he can start swinging. We are to return to the Doctor in 2 weeks and he may clear him then if all goes well.
    Yep...I had a cast on for a little while. I just remember doing a ton of one handed drills and all the defensive things I could do. It killed me not being able to swing. In the long run it actually probably helped me out a little bit to have a break though. That's good news that he has good ROM and strength.

For my rehab exercises I did different things with putty, some forearm things with a weighted bat, among others. Hope the visit to the doctor goes well.

My PT friend is gonna bring some putty home. From what I understand, they have moved away from casting post-surgery which may make the recovery period shorter since ROM is not lost. My son was told to flex and move fingers (especially pinky) the next day after surgery. He's only missed one game of Jr high baseball and its killing him. But we will be patient. Thanks for the reply.

Yea, I used the putty. You also need to graduate to some type of hand grips (they come in different strengths).

He's already been able to throw with no pain he says. However, he is no where near ready to swing a bat much less hit anything. He bats lefty but throws righty so the surgery was to the right hand. He's bugging me to let him pitch for the Jr high team next week if he continues to be able to throw painfree. Im thinking about it. May make the waiting to hit go a little easier.