Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Betcha didn't know

Betcha didn't know

Since 1957, every player that caught AND pitched in a single game has either played NO other positions in that game, or played ALL SEVEN of the other positions.

If you have an interesting "betcha didn't know", feel free to post it in this thread.

Since 1957, the only team to go without a single in 2 consecutive games is the 2004 Yankees. In one game they had 5 hits (all of them HRs!), and the next game they only had one hit (a double).
    http://www.bb-ref.com/pi/shareit/CyZ3

When Roger Maris broke the home run record in 1961 he did not receive a single intentional walk. That was the only season in his career in which he did not receive an IBB. In contrast Mark McGwire had 28 in 1998 and Barry had 35 in 2001.

Probably had something to do with a guy named Mantle batting after him.

Last year, the White Sox were in Toronto, and Mark Buehrle was pitching against Roy Halladay. Buehrle had a great game and pitched eight innings while only allowing two hits, but they were both home runs. He didn't walk anyone and the White Sox made no errors. But Halladay shut out the Sox and the Jays won, 2-0. This was the only recorded game in history when a team has won without having any runners on base.

Quote Originally Posted by gojays View Post
    Last year, the White Sox were in Toronto, and Mark Buehrle was pitching against Roy Halladay. Buehrle had a great game and pitched eight innings while only allowing two hits, but they were both home runs. He didn't walk anyone and the White Sox made no errors. But Halladay shut out the Sox and the Jays won, 2-0. This was the only recorded game in history when a team has won without having any runners on base.
    It was done in this game too, but it was only a 5-inning game.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...97107300.shtml

The 1969 Mets pitching staff didn't give up an HR for 23 straight games.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/shareit/g4WR

Jose Parra holds the record for having the most career plate appearances with zero career at-bats. He had 4 PAs (2 BBs and 2 sacs).
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/parrajo01.shtml
    Last edited by ipitch; 01-24-2008 at 09:58 AM.

The National League is undefeated in extra-inning All-Star games. They are 9-0-1.
    Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.
    www.big-league-trivia.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    George Sisler broke the single-season total bases record in 1920, a record that had stood for over 25 years, being set in 1894. Well, Sisler's record was broken the very next season by a young man named Babe Ruth, and it has stood until this day, over 85 years later.
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

George Twombly had eight career extra-base hits. Seven of them were triples.

Blog Entries
    The last switch-hitter to win the AL MVP was.......Vida Blue!
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

When the Chicago White Stockings (later to become the Cubs) played in Lakefront Park, the right field fence was under 200 feet away from home plate. Home runs hit over the fence there would be considered ground rule doubles. The White Stockings would regularly lead the league in doubles until 1884 when balls hit over that fence became home runs. That year Ned Williamson hit 27 home runs, all but 2 at Lakefront Park to lead the majors in home runs. His record 27 home runs would not be broken until 1919 when Babe Ruth hit 29 home runs. We all know what happened from there (as far as Ruth goes). After 1884 the White Stockings move to the West Side Grounds (Park).

Manny Lee is the only player to ever strike out over 100 times in a season with 0 HRs.

Johnny Mize is the only player to have more homers than strikeouts in a season when they hit 50 or more homers.

Blog Entries
    Babe Ruth never hit a Minor League homerun in the United States. The Babe's lone Minor League homer came vs. Toronto on the road.
    "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
    -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Of all the players with 0 career stolen bases (since 1876), Oscar Robles has been caught stealing the most times (8). All 8 were in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by gojays View Post

I take umbrage with this "record", because hitting a home run is getting a player on base. To wit: a player's on-base percentage goes up after hitting a home run. I understand what you are implying, that the Jays didn't have any runners who remained on base for another batter; but I think that's unnecessarily restrictive. Of course, we all know the only way to win a game without actually having a baserunner reach base is by forfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mince View Post
    I take umbrage with this "record", because hitting a home run is getting a player on base. To wit: a player's on-base percentage goes up after hitting a home run. I understand what you are implying, that the Jays didn't have any runners who remained on base for another batter; but I think that's unnecessarily restrictive. Of course, we all know the only way to win a game without actually having a baserunner reach base is by forfeit.
    Would it be better if he said "the only game in history that the team who lost never had a pitcher pitching with men on base"? not quite as eloquent, but probably more technically correct

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Would it be better if he said "the only game in history that the team who lost never had a pitcher pitching with men on base"? not quite as eloquent, but probably more technically correct

I know. I'm probably being too pedantic. I can't believe that it has only happened one time. I can't believe a team has never, say, just hit a home run and never reached base again and won the game 1-0. That is amazing!

I know. I'm probably being too pedantic. I can't believe that it has only happened one time. I can't believe a team has never, say, just hit a home run and never reached base again and won the game 1-0. That is amazing!
    When I read the report on this event last summer the writer clarified it by saying they had "no men on base", rather than saying "no baserunners".
    Author of Big League Trivia - Facts, Figures, Oddities and Coincidences from our National Pastime.

I can't believe that it has only happened one time. I can't believe a team has never, say, just hit a home run and never reached base again and won the game 1-0. That is amazing!

It's not the only time.

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    It's not the only time.
    Using baseball-reference's play index, the only other one I found was the famous Kansas City-Baltimore game on July 30, 1971, when Dick Drago faced just 13 batters and won 1-0 in a rained-shortened game.

Do you know of any others?

Quote Originally Posted by Trivia Guy View Post
    Using baseball-reference's play index, the only other one I found was the famous Kansas City-Baltimore game on July 30, 1971, when Dick Drago faced just 13 batters and won 1-0 in a rained-shortened game.
    Drago took the loss. Jim Palmer got the win.

Yankees all-time leaders in extra-base hits...

Lou Gehrig - 1190
    Babe Ruth - 1189

Mark Lemke played his entire MLB career (1069 games) without ever getting hit by a pitch. His teammate Tony Graffanino got hit by the 2nd pitch he ever saw in MLB.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast