Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Blog Entries

Question

I noticed that Luis Aparicio led the AL in stolen bases in each of his first NINE seasons (wow). Has any other player led his league in a major category for his first 9 or more seasons? I doubt it.

Ripken, for example wouldn't count for Games Played since he only played 23 games in 1980, plus several of the seasons during his streak, his team only played 161 games, so he didn't actually lead the league.

The closest I could find is Ralph Kiner who led the NL in homers each of his first SEVEN seasons (again, wow).
    Most Underrated:Al Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Carlos Beltran
    Most Overrated: Kirby Puckett, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris
    Most Overrated for being "Underrated": Bobby Grich, Gene Tenace, Alan Trammell
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to reply to my own thread, but even if we remove the qualification of "First" nine seasons. Has any player led his league in a major category in ANY nine consecutive seasons? Even Babe Ruth never did that (thanks to 1925).

The longest streak Rickey Henderson had for SB was 7. Ted Williams might have done it for OBP but his career was interrupted by war.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-27-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Most Underrated for being "Overrated": Roberto Clemente, Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr.

Ty Cobb led 9 straight in OPS+. Are you counting that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    Didn't Cobb Lead in Batting Average for 9 straight and 12 of 13? maybe 1907-1915 and 17-19?

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Didn't Cobb Lead in Batting Average for 9 straight and 12 of 13? maybe 1907-1915 and 17-19?
    He "only" had 5 straight. He would have had 9 straight if Lajoie hadn't beat him .384 to .383 in 1910.

Blog Entries
    Sure. I'd count OPS+ as a major stat. Good find!

Blog Entries
    I guess these would be the stats I'd count but I'm open to adding more:

G
    PA
    AB
    H
    2B
    3B
    HR
    BA
    OBP
    SLG
    OPS
    OPS+
    R
    RBI
    SB
    CS
    XBH
    TB
    SO
    BB
    Times on base
    Outs Made

I wonder if any pitchers would qualify. I see Lefty Grove lead the league in strikeouts in each of his first 7 seasons.
    Last edited by GiambiJuice; 05-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    I found another impressive one.

Wade Boggs led the AL in times on base for 8 consecutive seasons, 1983-1990.

How about singles? Ichiro has led the league in all 10 of his seasons, and is currently leading again in 2011.

Blog Entries
    How about singles? Ichiro has led the league in all 10 of his seasons, and is currently leading again in 2011.
    Cool fact and nice find! But to be honest I don't find it all that impressive. It means he has a skill for putting bat-on-ball, but he has no power and doesn't walk.

If you allow him war credit and skip his nine-game return to the majors in 1945, Bob Feller led the league in strikeouts seven years in a row. The impressive part is that the years are 1938-41 and 1946-48.

Walter Johnson led the league in strikeouts for eight years in a row (11912-1919).

Dazzy Vance was the NL leader for a seven-year run (1922-28).

Warren Spahn led the NL in complete games for seven years in a row 1957-63. In that final year he was 42 years old. He was never the same after that...

Ted Williams has a seven year stretch leading the league in OBP. Again, the impressive part is that the years include 1940-42 and 1946-49. He missed three entire years due to the war, aged 25 to 27, and didn't miss a beat when he came back.

During that period, he also had a six-year run as leader in OPS+ (1941-42 and 1946-49).

The ONLY year in his entire career that Ted Williams didn't lead the league in OBP while having enough plate appearances to qualify for it was his rookie year of 1939, when his pathetic .436 OBP just didn't cut it.

Joe Start lead his league in age 9 straight seasons 1878-1886, ages 35-43.

Mel Ott lead his league in youth 3 straight seasons, 1926-1928, ages 17-19.
    Last edited by dgarza; 06-04-2011 at 01:01 PM.

I find this amazing. Phil Neikro and Pedro Ramos lead their league in loses 4 straight years. Ramos was an AS one those seasons and Neikro was an MVP and CY contender a few of those seasons.

From 1992-1998, Barry Bonds lead his league in IBBs 7 straight season. In 1994, he lead with an un-Bonds-like 18 IBBs.

Ichrio has lead in singles for his first 10 years, and is leading this year as well.

Whoops, somebody got that.

Pujols has a streak of 7 leaderships in WAR I think.

Matty lead the league in K/BB for 8 consecutive years.

Honus Wagner lead the league in Offensive WAR for 8 consecutive years.

Blog Entries
    If not for 1955, Minnie Minoso would have led the league in Hit By Pitch in ELEVEN consecutive seasons.

How can a player be so dominant at getting hit by a pitched ball?

Not nearly as impressive as Luis Aparicio, but Vince Coleman led the NL in stolen bases for his first 6 seasons (1985-1990), and of course we all know he had 100+ in his first three seasons. Tim Raines had been the NL champ in stolen bases for the 4 years prior to Coleman's emergence in the league, 1981-1984. Between the two of them that is a full 10 years of domination in the Senior Circuit in one stat - that was very important back then in the running 80s!

In fact it looks like this:

NL Stolen Base Leader 1981-1990

1981 - _71 - Tim Raines
    1982 - _78 - Tim Raines
    1983 - _90 - Tim Raines
    1984 - _75 - Tim Raines
    1985 - 110 - Vince Coleman (Raines 70)
    1986 - 107 - Vince Coleman (Raines 70)
    1987 - 109 - Vince Coleman (Raines 50)
    1988 - _81 - Vince Coleman (Raines 33)
    1989 - _65 - Vince Coleman (Raines 41)
    1990 - _77 - Vince Coleman (Raines 49)

Raines finished second to Coleman only once, in Vince's rookie year of '85. So, perhaps if Lonnie Smith had held in there a bit longer in 1985 as the Cardinals' LFer, Rock would have had 5 straight years as the league leader. I always thought it was neat that two guys dominated a stat in a league like that for a decade. Coleman went to the Mets in 1991, and played only 72 games, while Raines went to the White Sox in the AL in '91. I still remember Raines saying he was excited to get to the AL so he could go head-to-head vs Rickey Henderson for the SB title each year! I guess he was tired of being in the dust of Vincent van Go!
    "Statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything." Toby Harrah

"We have a lot of pitchers capable of stopping our win streak." Bruce Hurst

"I'll tell you how smart Pete Rose is. When they had the blackout in New York, he was stranded thirteen hours on an escalator." Joe Nuxhall

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    If not for 1955, Minnie Minoso would have led the league in Hit By Pitch in ELEVEN consecutive seasons.

How can a player be so dominant at getting hit by a pitched ball?
    Some guys lean that way
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Kiner led the league in HR's the first 7 years he was in the Majors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast