Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Who am I? game

Who am I? game

Time for a little game:

Rules:

1) I pick an unnamed player and give a small piece of trivia.

2) You ask a question to which I can give only a yes or no response, and this will help you narrow down the field. If my response could be a little misleading, I'll mark it with an asterisk. For example, if I was asked "Are you a pitcher" and the person was Jose Canseco and threw to a few lifetime batters, I'd say Yes*.

3) I'm not going to pick or answer weird or completely immaterial things which I might not know, such as "Did this person hit 0.685 as an 11-year old?" or "Was his Confirmation name David"?

4) One question per person per post.

5) When you think you know that person, say "Are you XXXX YYYY?" The winner each round is the person who guesses correctly!

The glorious winners!

Cy Williams by Tyrus4189Cobb (Voting for Garvey, Tenace, and Herr the first chance I get. )
    Sixto Lezcano by PVNICK
    (1987-1994 both aged 23-30
    Fred McGriff 4709 PA 702 R 262 H 710 RBI 285/389/542 153 OPS+ 36.6 WAR 21.6 WAA
    Mark McGwire 3948 PA 536 R 235 HR 648 RBI 252/365/509 144 OPS+ 28.0 WAR 14.7 WAA
    Who says crime doesn't pay? )
    Ed Kirkpatrick by Tyrus4189 Cobb ("After Jackie Robinson, the most important black [player] in baseball history is Reggie Jackson." — Reggie Jackson)
    Nap Rucker by Ian2813 ("How could you play ball in a cell? Well, we'll bunt a lot." Monkeys photo in jail)
    Ted Kluszewski by Ian2813 (Around here we play Inquisition Ball! We draw walks and we hit for power! Leave your glove at home and don't even think of trying to steal!)
    Melido Perez by Herr28 (Psst. Hey buddy. You wanna buy some slightly used MLB team computer passwords? I got 'em cheap.)
    Monte Irvin by SteveJRogers (EAST SIDE WEST SIDE EVERYBODY'S COMING DOWN TO SEE THE M-E-T-S METS OF NEW YORK TOWN OF NEW YORK TOWN!)
    Garry Templeton by Machinehead 11 ("If Casey Stengel were alive today, he'd be spinning in his grave." - Ralph Kiner)
    Greg Gross by BuzzAldrin ("Joe McCarthy to Charlie Devens during a Yankee rally when everyone was yelling and whooping, but Devens just sat on the bench in quiet dignity, "Whatsa matter with you, Devens? Show a little life! Where the hell do you think you are- in a canoe?")
    Chuck Connors by Herr28 ("If Satch and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time." -- Dizzy Dean)
    Cannonball Titcomb by flash143817
    Joe Orsulak by Herr28 ("They say Cub fans are supposed to be behind you, and they're ripping everything we do. I hope we get hotter than * just to stuff those people. If they're the real Chicago Cubs fans, they can kiss my * * right downtown. Those * don't even work. Eighty-five percent of the country is working, and the other fifteen percent is out here. " -- Lee Elia, Cubs manager, 1983
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo PG-13)
    Pete LaCock by Ian2813 (David Freese is the worst thing that ever happened to baseball.)
    Carlos Guillen by Ian2813 (The St. Louis Cardinals: Making baseball not fun since 2006.)
    Marv Owens by Herr 28 ("There will never be another pitcher like Carl Hubbell. He's a right to all the credit he can get. I don't wanna take nothin' away from the ol'-timers, but it gives me a big laugh when their records are talked about in the same breath with his. I'd like to see them fellas work with this here rabbit they call a ball." -- Dizzy Dean)
    Juan Agosto by Ian2813 (The 1985 Kansas City Royals: Undisputed World Champions!)
    General Crowder by Tyrus4189Cobb ("I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher." - Rogers Hornsby)
    Joe DiMaggio by Ian2813 (Winning the pennant doesn't really count when your LCS opponent is the Cubs.)
    Lee Maye by Tyrus4189 (100 little wins and 3 big losses...thanks for nothing, St. Louis!)
    Chico Carrasquel by PVNICK (Is it Toh-lay-dough or Toe-Lee-Doh I never can figure it out. (with picture of Jamie Farr in Mudhens jersey with Toledo7 auto )
    Herbert the Milkman Perry by Tyrus4189Cobb ("Ben Affleck is a better bat-man than you!" - insult directed to Pablo Sandoval. )
    Preston Wilson by Ian2813 (Thank you, 2015 Kansas City Royals, for saving baseball.)
    Oyster Burns by Buzzaldrin ("It was this way, Charlie. I got such a beautiful jump on the pitcher I couldn't resist the temptation to steal." -Lou Novikoff to incredulous manager Charlie Grimm on why he broke for third and slid into it when he had been on second with the bases loaded. )
    Tom Tresh by Tyrus4189Cobb ("I ain't afraid to tell the world that it don't take school stuff to help a fella play ball." - Shoeless Joe Jackson)
    Egyptian Healy by PVNICK (We established 1800s and presumably that he was not an A list pitcher. The bracelets led to the guess. By the way that screen shot of Susanna Hoffs was soooo hot back in the day when MTV played videos. Or at least I and one like mined friend thought so.)
    Rafael Belliard by Ian2813 (Sandberg...Sutcliffe...Sanderson. The glue that wins Cub division titles.)
    Ken Brett by Layson27 ( "I'm just a ballplayer with one ambition, and that is to give all I've got to help my ball club win. I've never played any other way." Joe DiMaggio)

Scorecard:

Ian2813 - 8
    Tyrus4189Cobb - 6
    Herr28 - 4
    PVNICK - 3
    Buzzaldrin - 2
    Flash143817 - 1
    Layson27 - 1
    Machinehead11 -1
    SteveJRodgers - 1

Okay, this MLBer was 6'2" tall. Guess!
    Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 04-18-2016 at 06:49 AM.
    "I'm just a ballplayer with one ambition, and that is to give all I've got to help my ball club win. I've never played any other way." Joe DiMaggio

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Did this player ever play for a World Series champion?

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    Did this player ever play for a World Series champion?
    Thanks for playing Ian! (You may recognize the bit. )

No, he did not.
    "I'm just a ballplayer with one ambition, and that is to give all I've got to help my ball club win. I've never played any other way." Joe DiMaggio

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Did he begin his career after WWII?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

No, he did not.

As an incentive, whoever wins this gets to change my signature line for three days. It can be anything you want as long as it is baseball related. You could even say "Sammy Sosa's Number One fan!" (although I hope you guys wouldn't be that cruel)

If this proves popular, I'll make it a running contest. I've got a great guy for the next round.
    Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 05-12-2015 at 06:18 PM.

Is this player a pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    As an incentive, whoever wins this gets to change my signature line for three days. It can be anything you want as long as it is baseball related. You could even say "Sammy Sosa's Number One fan!" (although I hope you guys wouldn't be that cruel)
    Now I really want to win this!

Is this player a pitcher?
    No, he is not.

Now I really want to win this!
    Oh boy! What did I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Oh boy! What did I do?
    Nothing, I just have an absurd sense of humor, and the possibilities are endless.

All right. Let's ask another one. Did this player play in the 19th century?

No, he did not.

Is this player in the Hall of Fame?

No, he is not.*

(* ie - he is not in the main room, but may be mentioned elsewhere, but not what we would consider a HOFer)

Done for the day. Good job Ian and Tyrus.

Is this player famous for some unusual record or feat?

Is this player famous for some unusual record or feat?
    No*

He didn't do anything legendary, but did some noteworthy things. He had a real career, and wasn't a scrub. You'll recognize hime.

Hint: Think sharp cookies (and he wasn't Christy Mathewson!)

Perhaps narrow down the position or era he was in a bit more....

Was this player primarily a catcher?
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Was this player primarily a catcher?
    No, he was not.

That is a good use of the word primarily - it will help worm out guys who have caught one game or something like that.

Was his primary team located in a state that was one of the original 13 colonies?
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Did he have a relative (family member) who also played in the majors?
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Was his primary team located in a state that was one of the original 13 colonies?
    Yes, it was.

That was a good one, eliminated a whole bunch of teams.

FYI, not saying he was or wasn't, but I assumed that the District of Columbia counts, as it was broken off from the Maryland-Virginia border area, which were part of the original 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grimm View Post
    Did he have a relative (family member) who also played in the majors?
    No, he did not.
    Last edited by Toledo Inquisition; 05-19-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    Was he primarily an outfielder?

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Was he primarily an outfielder?
    Yes, he was.

Was his primary team in Pennsylvania?

Was his primary team in Pennsylvania?
    Yes, it was.

I feel that we're getting pretty close.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast