Thread: Going Out on Top

Going Out on Top

Can you name a player whose last Major League appearance was not only on his birthday, but in a World Series-clinching game for his team?

I think I've heard this one before...
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

"The Kingpin has rules" - Wilson Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by 1905 Giants View Post
    I think I've heard this one before...
    Did someone ask this question recently? If so, I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    Did someone ask this question recently? If so, I missed it.
    No it was in a trivia book.
    “There can be no higher law in journalism than to tell the truth and to shame the devil.” – Walter Lippmann

I won't spoil it for the rest of you who might be thinking of what the answer might be... but I will give you some how do you like that type of clues!

One, the batter drew a walk as a pinch hitter for his team that night and he is most definitely associated with that franchise.

Two, this particular World Series was well known for something interesting happening, but not during any one particular game. You had to look at the whole series.

Three, he is not a Junior but a "the third" but he did not go by that per se. Like RG3, but not RG3.

And he is still alive and is part of what we might call a baseball family.

I know about this player. I won't pretend that I know he is the only possible answer to the question. There might be more than one, but I only know this guy.

And I have another great clue, one that is very timely, if you need it. I will stop back in two days to see how everyone is doing and give out that one if need be.
    Last edited by Second Base Coach; 01-09-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Your Second Base Coach
    Accused Discussion Bogger Downer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0

Ill take a stab: Robin Yount?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    I won't spoil it for the rest of you who might be thinking of what the answer might be... but I will give you some how do you like that type of clues!

One, the batter drew a walk as a pinch hitter for his team that night and he is most definitely associated with that franchise.

Two, this particular World Series was well known for something interesting happening, but not during any one particular game. You had to look at the whole series.

Three, he is not a Junior but a "the third" but he did not go by that per se. Like RG3, but not RG3.

And he is still alive and is part of what we might call a baseball family.

I know about this player. I won't pretend that I know he is the only possible answer to the question. There might be more than one, but I only know this guy.

And I have another great clue, one that is very timely, if you need it. I will stop back in two days to see how everyone is doing and give out that one if need be.
    This is indeed the player I'm thinking of. And like you, I have no idea if any other players meet the criteria in the original question.

Ill take a stab: Robin Yount?
    Nope.

Blog Entries
    Yount was born in September and ended his carer in Milwaukee in 1993.

Not being mean...I am really interested in why you chose Yount of all people.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

HA! I was wondering the same thing.
    "Statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything." Toby Harrah

"We have a lot of pitchers capable of stopping our win streak." Bruce Hurst

"I'll tell you how smart Pete Rose is. When they had the blackout in New York, he was stranded thirteen hours on an escalator." Joe Nuxhall

Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post

In fairness, I wouldn't have known off the top of my head that Yount's birthday was in September.

Does anyone want anymore hints? Do you care to share the good hint you have, Second Base Coach?

Weeeeeeelllllllll..... OK. The player we are talking about shares the birth date (not the same year) with a Hall of Fame player who was elected to the Hall within the last ten years.
    Your Second Base Coach

Here's another hint: Think 1980's.

In fairness, I wouldn't have known off the top of my head that Yount's birthday was in September.

Does anyone want anymore hints? Do you care to share the good hint you have, Second Base Coach?
    But, it doesn't matter if his birthday is in February -- his team never won a clinching game of the World Series. And didn't he retire a decade after their only World Series appearance? I think that is what BA was getting at, not the birthday part so much.
    "Statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything." Toby Harrah

"I'll tell you how smart Pete Rose is. When they had the blackout in New York, he was stranded thirteen hours on an escalator." Joe Nuxhall

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    But, it doesn't matter if his birthday is in February -- his team never won a clinching game of the World Series. And didn't he retire a decade after their only World Series appearance? I think that is what BA was getting at, not the birthday part so much.
    Yeah, I understand that. I'm just saying.

Yount was just the first name to pop in my head lads. I just wanted to give the first guess.

Yount was just the first name to pop in my head lads. I just wanted to give the first guess.
    So far it's the only guess. Does anyone else want to make one? There have been plenty of hints.

So far it's the only guess. Does anyone else want to make one? There have been plenty of hints.
    I'll guess Sutton on the 1988 Dodgers - I believe he ended his career with the Dodgers that year

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    I'll guess Sutton on the 1988 Dodgers - I believe he ended his career with the Dodgers that year
    I think they dropped him late in the season, he wasn't around the team at all when they won I don't think.

Here is another hint. Herr28 would know a lot about this particular World Series as he has a rooting interest in one of the franchises.
    Your Second Base Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    I think they dropped him late in the season, he wasn't around the team at all when they won I don't think.
    That's right. The Dodgers released Sutton in August of that year, so he's not the answer.

LAST HINTS....

This player shares a birth date with one of the four brand new HOF inductees.

The father of this player was a Major Leaguer.

The uncle of this player also retired that year as a manager. In fact that year the manager ran a team in the same division as our mystery player.

And get this.... The uncle did at one point manage his nephew's team, but not the year they both retired.

I think he managed that team his nephew was on for something like four or five years.
    Last edited by Second Base Coach; 01-15-2015 at 06:28 AM.
    Your Second Base Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Second Base Coach View Post
    LAST HINTS....

This player shares a birth date with one of the four brand new HOF inductees.

The father of this player was a Major Leaguer.

The uncle of this player also retired that year as a manager. In fact that year the manager ran a team in the same division as our mystery player.

And get this.... The uncle did at one point manage his nephew's team, but not the year they both retired.

I think he managed that team his nephew was on for something like four or five years.
    Roy Smalley on the 1987 Twins?

Roy Smalley on the 1987 Twins?
    Correct! Roy Smalley's final game in the majors was Game 7 of the 1987 World Series, which happened to fall on his birthday, October 25.

What a way to say goodbye! They won that game and in come from behind fashion.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98710250.shtml
    Your Second Base Coach