Thread: What Hall of Fame position player had the least amount of career official AT BATS

What Hall of Fame position player had the least amount of career official AT BATS

Modern Era 1903-present

One might conjecture Ross Youngs.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Jersey cards of Edinson Volquez, Craig Kimbrel and David Ortiz! Bat card of Troy Tulowitzki! Autographs of Drake Britton, Kyle Lotzkar, Casey Weathers, Michael Burgess, Bryan Anderson, Trevor Bauer, Adam Lind, John Ely and Lorenzo de la Cruz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Not Ross Youngs at 4627

One might conjecture Chick Hafey.
    Check out my stuff for sale on eBay! Jersey cards of Edinson Volquez, Craig Kimbrel and David Ortiz! Bat card of Troy Tulowitzki! Autographs of Drake Britton, Kyle Lotzkar, Casey Weathers, Michael Burgess, Bryan Anderson, Trevor Bauer, Adam Lind, John Ely and Lorenzo de la Cruz! Plus a guide on how to get autographs...for free!

My website...
    My other website...
    My other, other website...

Blog Entries
    Buck Ewing?

Campanella?
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    Monte Irvin

Did you mean to exclude managers who had a cup of coffee? If not, I'd go with Walter Alston.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

If you are excluding them then Monte Irvin at 2499.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Willard Brown?

Frank Chance perhaps or Roger Bresnahan? Excludes the partial NeL guys.
    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...f-Fame-Project

Please take a moment to consider voting in my "No Doubt" Hall of Fame Project.

Players I think are most often underrated: Jim Thome, Luke Appling, Harry Heilmann, Goose Goslin, Vlad Guerrero, Fred Clarke, Zack Wheat, Carlos Delgado, Ken Boyer, Jim Palmer, Jack Morris.

Players I think are most often overrated: Joe Morgan, Roberto Clemente, Paul Molitor, Bobby Grich, Graig Nettles.

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    Willard Brown?
    Probably him if you're including guys who spent most of their career in the Negro Leagues, although that's a bit of a cop out.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdlinger View Post
    Probably him if you're including guys who spent most of their career in the Negro Leagues, although that's a bit of a cop out.
    Well, yeah, no one beats Josh Gibson. Position player, 0 AB. I'm guessing it's position player, chosen as MLB player, not manager or contributor, or Negro League player.

I'm pretty sure Campy had the fewest games (unless it was Hafey. . . or Youngs, or somebody else) So I'll chime in with Campanella.
    Last edited by Sliding Billy; 11-06-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    The ball once struck off,
    Away flies the boy
    To the next destin'd post,
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

Quote Originally Posted by Sliding Billy View Post
    Well, yeah, no one beats Josh Gibson. Position player, 0 AB. I'm guessing it's position player, chosen as MLB player, not manager or contributor, or Negro League player.

I'm pretty sure Campy had the fewest games (unless it was Hafey). So I'll chime in with Campanella.
    I suppose Gibson's in a tie with a couple dozen other strictly NeLers.

And assuming 1903-2014 doesn't mean someone whose career took place largely in the 19th century but logged a few at bats in the modern era--like Orator Jim O'Rourke, with 4 at age 53.
    Away flies the boy
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

I suppose Gibson's in a tie with a couple dozen other strictly NeLers.
    I think that's just about exactly right. I count 26 players elected as Negro Leaguers, including Satchel Paige, Monte Irvin, and Willard Brown, who played in MLB. (Oops, didn't exclude pitchers.)
    Away flies the boy
    And then home with joy.
    --Anonymous, 1744

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    One might conjecture Chick Hafey.
    Hafey is close 4625

Campanella?
    Campenella is the guy according to the almanac I just was browsing through 4261, but it's apparent after reading PVNICK post that Monte Irvin seems to be the right answer. I'll have to buy a more accurate book.
    Last edited by leagueleader; 11-06-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Irvin popped to mind after I read the post stating Campanella. Irvin is more of a Negro League HOFer, even though he did have success in MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by leagueleader View Post
    Campenella is the guy according to the almanac I just was browsing through 4261, but it's apparent after reading PVNICK post that Monte Irvin seems to be the right answer. I'll have to buy a more accurate book.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    Irvin popped to mind after I read the post stating Campanella. Irvin is more of a Negro League HOFer, even though he did have success in MLB.
    I'd agree that Irvin was elected more on the basis of his NeL career than his MLB career. His 8 years in the majors, while impressive, wouldn't have even got him on the ballot.