Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Wrigley Field Renovation/Makeover

Proposed Wrigley Field Renovation/Makeover

Chicago Cubs plan massive restructuring of Wrigley Field
    Wrigley 20-14 project includes major construction in and around park as part of 'triangle building'

In conjunction with the 100-year anniversary of Wrigley Field in 2014, the Cubs are planning "a complete renovation of the ballpark."

The project will be called "Wrigley 20-14" and include construction projects during the season so the Cubs can use it "for another 100 years," according to President Crane Kenney.

The focal point of the massive restructuring will be the long-talked-about "triangle building" to the west, a project that will include knocking down the outer wall on the third-base side to form a large open-air courtyard that would include concession areas and shops.

In the end, all of the concourse will be widened and include expanded restrooms, some of which will be completed for this season. It also means construction will be ongoing during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Although plans still are sketchy, there also could be a restaurant below the third-base terrace "suites."

The only parts of the park that will not be reconfigured are the bleachers, which already have been altered by more seats and a restaurant.

"A lot of spots in the ballpark haven't been touched in years," Kenney said. "We put millions (of dollars) in every offseason just to keep it moving forward without really changing much.

"We have to be re-thinking long term."

During a Cubs Convention panel discussion about the business of baseball, Kenney told the audience:

--"I can't imagine the ballpark not being called Wrigley Field," when asked about naming rights, even though former Tribune Co. ownership seemed amenable to it.

--The "L" flag will continue to fly for the time being, although there is internal debate about it. Kenney took a show-of-hands survey during the discussion that showed "4- or 5-to-1" against changing the tradition.

--No Friday night games and no Jumbotron screen will be added soon, if ever, and the Cubs don't envision going to personal seat licenses for ticket-holders.

dvandyck@tribune.com

Copyright 2010, Chicago Tribune

Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-18-2010 at 06:33 AM.

finally. Wrigley is in desperate need of this major renovation.

I like it!

It doesn't look like many current seats will have to removed in favor new suites and additional premium seating areas.

Keep the people packed in tightly and the fan atmosphere will remain strong.

Huh, no new luxury boxes? Odd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post

Thats fine w/ me. I'm glad that they didn't over do it w/ suites and restricted access areas in NYS.

I think the corporate appetite for luxury suites may be dwindling given the economy. Not to mention the fact that even the most casual of fans find the suite experience boring after a few games.

The Cell on the south side has plenty of suites that sit vacant for most games, the Cubs probably don't want to risk anything going unsold.

Looks good I think. But now I must definitely visit Wrigley before it gets renovated.

Quote Originally Posted by RfkFedEx View Post
    Thats fine w/ me. I'm glad that they didn't over do it w/ suites and restricted access areas in NYS.

I think the corporate appetite for luxury suites may be dwindling given the economy. Not to mention the fact that even the most casual of fans find the suite experience boring after a few games.

The Cell on the south side has plenty of suites that sit vacant for most games, the Cubs probably don't want to risk anything going unsold.
    Thats an interesting point. Not building luxury box due to dwindling interest. But thats pretty short sighted as this bad economy cant go on forever.

Thats an interesting point. Not building luxury box due to dwindling interest. But thats pretty short sighted as this bad economy cant go on forever.
    But in the grand scheme of things I think the luxury suite is simply getting played out. Even the wealthy patrons would rather be closer to the action, especially in Wrigley where the crowd is a key element to the experience.

Notice all of the premium seating that has sprung up behind the screens and dugouts in the new parks? Those seats are mostly being purchased by corporations and not individuals. The same corporations who once thirsted for the luxury suites that our old parks didn't have.

There will always be a market for the boxes, but even in a good economy with a winning team, most people would rather feel more involved.

I've noticed a large number of suites sitting dark around pro sport venes when I go to games in other towns, a sign to me that those suites are unsold.

The people I've known who work for companies that have suites say 'its often a struggle to find people to take the tix for free'. Consequently, the tix get passed down the line and you end up w/ a hodgepodge of people in the suite from company interns to distant vendors who have little to no relation to the powers who pay for the suite. The feeling is awkward and people tend to wander elsewhere in the park to escape the confinement.

I'm sure its different in NY where baseball is king, but I fully expected NYS to have far more suites and I'm pleasantly surprised that I was wrong.
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 01-18-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Wrigley Field 2014 (Renovation/Makeover)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1790453.story
    In conjunction with the 100-year anniversary of Wrigley Field in 2014, the Cubs are planning "a complete renovation of the ballpark."

The project will be called "Wrigley 20-14" and include construction projects during the season so the Cubs can use it "for another 100 years," according to President Crane Kenney.

The focal point of the massive restructuring will be the long-talked-about "triangle building" to the west, a project that will include knocking down the outer wall on the third-base side to form a large open-air courtyard that would include concession areas and shops.

In the end, all of the concourse will be widened and include expanded restrooms, some of which will be completed for this season. It also means construction will be ongoing during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Although plans still are sketchy, there also could be a restaurant below the third-base terrace "suites."

The only parts of the park that will not be reconfigured are the bleachers, which already have been altered by more seats and a restaurant.

"A lot of spots in the ballpark haven't been touched in years," Kenney said. "We put millions (of dollars) in every offseason just to keep it moving forward without really changing much.

"We have to be re-thinking long term."

During a Cubs Convention panel discussion about the business of baseball, Kenney told the audience:

--"I can't imagine the ballpark not being called Wrigley Field," when asked about naming rights, even though former Tribune Co. ownership seemed amenable to it.

--The "L" flag will continue to fly for the time being, although there is internal debate about it. Kenney took a show-of-hands survey during the discussion that showed "4- or 5-to-1" against changing the tradition.

--No Friday night games and no Jumbotron screen will be added soon, if ever, and the Cubs don't envision going to personal seat licenses for ticket-holders.

A 2005 sketch of a proposed Wrigley Field expansion project under Tribune Co. The Ricketts family wants to complete something similar by 2014. (Tribune lab)
    These are from the Cubs website on the "Improvement Illustrations" section:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/expansion.jsp

I hope they renovate the interior of the actual stadium too.

Wrigley Field is located in Chicago and is home to the Cubs baseball team.
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-19-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: (Merged thread killed the link)

I hope they renovate the interior of the actual stadium too.
    Ah, the anti-Yankees....this plans makes sense.

At least one city cares about preserving baseball history.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

They're the anti-Yankees - pro-history, with some perspective of true baseball culture. Saving Wrigley Field is worth it...
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Blog Entries
    Its too bad it will be 2 years after the world ends..

Poor Cubs.

Blog Entries
    Wow, I never realized the Cubs don't play Friday night games. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Vaz View Post
    Wow, I never realized the Cubs don't play Friday night games. ?
    Best games of the week are friday night games.
    Twenty Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Ah, the anti-Yankees....this plans makes sense.

At least one city cares about preserving baseball history.
    Yankees preserve their basbeall history. Just because the stadium is gone doesnt mean the team doesnt care about their heritage.

Should Phillies continue to play in The Vet?
    Should the Pirates keep playing in the Three River?
    Should the Red Sox have continued playing in the Huntington Ground?

All teams will get a new stadium eventually.

Yankees preserve their basbeall history. Just because the stadium is gone doesnt mean the team doesnt care about their heritage.

The Cubs think Wrigley can go 100 more years.

The Red Sox...?
    Last edited by JohnCropp; 01-18-2010 at 05:37 PM.

HA. Eventually they will all get new stadiums. Believe me. Never say never.

^What a joke of a post.

^What a joke of a post.
    Not at all - kudos to the Cubs for doing it right.

The Yanks, and New York City, did it wrong, in my opinion. This way preserves a great ballpark.

Except the Cubs - they're preserving Wrigley Field.

The Yankees opted to destroy Yankee Stadium.

Those are facts.

^Your point being?

Yankees preserved their history. They remember it, not ignore it. New Yankee Stadium does a lot to do that. Sure its not the same, but hey, the old place had to come down someday.

^Once again what a joke of a post. Anti-Yankee? You are acting as if Yankees did not try to preserve their history when in fact they did. All stadiums remaining will come down one day.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast