Thread: OMG! Sandy Koufax at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live February 27, 2010

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium

OMG! Sandy Koufax at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live February 27, 2010

Sandy Koufax at the Nokia Theatre L.A. Live February 27, 2010.

18 months ago, there was similar event at the Nokia Threatre put together by T.J. Simers of the L.A. Times to benefit Children's Hospital Los Angeles and Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA. The speakers were Vin Scully and John Wooden. The minute I found out about it, I purchased my ticket for that event! It was a night that I will never forget.

Once again, T.J. Simers will moderate a conversation, this time with Sandy Koufax and Joe Torre.

Sandy Koufax! OMG! The money raised will go to Safe At Home, Torre's foundation to end the cycle of domestic abuse. Ticket prices go from $25 to $200.

Joe Torre who is in shock that Sandy accepted said "I didn't think he would," "This really is a friend indeed. He said he would do it for me and I' touched."

I am so looking forward to this!

article from T.J. Simers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...3541072.column

What will be especially interesting is how personal it will be. I doubt that it will be, though I bet Koufax tells a few old Dodger stories. A lot of people call him reclusive, and I really think the best description of him is private.

Michael,
    You are right, the right word for Koufax is private. T.J. Simers likes to rip everyone. that is his stye, ripping people, making fun of them. He did a little of poking fun at Vin and John Wooden. There was this guy sitting next to me at that event that wa upset because he thought Simers was being disrespecful. I told him Simers was just Simers trying to be funny.

But Simers did pissed me off once (but afterwards I thought "whatever T.J. ) when I send him an email correcting him and telling him to look at the date of a poll. He was ripping the Dodgers for including a player on the DL and Dodger fans for voting for that player. He reponsed with "I don't have time to be checking that ..unlike you I have a life...". Well, there was another time he upset me when I heard Jeff Kent joking around about something smiling at a Women baseball clinic and then T.J. Simers gave the story a different spin. I was furious at Simers that time.

I don't care fo Simers, and don't trust him but I do give him credit for talking Vin, John Wooden and Joe Torre to do these events that benefit charity.

Whatever stories Koufax wants to share, I am so looking forward to this event! Simers should do little moderating and just let Torre and Koufax talk.

Only 9 days an hours 'till this event. More of my friends are getting tickets. I am sure I will run into more at L.A. Live! Wish I could afford the dinner prior to the event. Billy Crystal will be there. I am sure Larry King will also be there. He is usually at most of the Dodgers events.

Emma
    http://crzblue.mlblogs.com/
    http://DodgersBlueBlog.com/

A little late with this but better late than never

I had such a wonderful time at this event that when I got home, I watched the recording that I had made sure to tape.

Here is one of the pictures

LA Times sportwriter T.J. Simers started his questions with "Where'd you go," "I went home," Koufax said, later explaining that it was something his grandfather taught him that has kept him out of the limelight.

"Your most precious asset is time," Koufax said. "Spend your money foolishly, spend your time wisely."

And the reason he came back?

"Joe Torre," Koufax said.

"It's about friendship, a very special friendship," said Torre, 69, of Koufax, even though the two were never teammates.

Simers finally asked if it bugged Koufax that people perceived him as "soft."

"Oh ... no," said Koufax. "That didn't bug me at all."

"Then what did bug you?" asked Simers.

"Sportswriters like you," replied Koufax to a thunderous ovation.

At the John Wooden and Vin Scully, a kid was picked so that John Wooden would show him how to put his socks. Mr. Wooden was very particular that no creases should be left from the socks when his players put on their shoes. Well Simers wanted something similar to be done with Koufax. So he said the crowd had been scanned and a tall skinny kid was spotted so he was summond to go up the podium.

The Kid? 21 year old Clayton Kershaw!

Tommy Davis and Sweet Lou Johnson. Sweet Lou got the only hit in Koufax perfecto. and got two homeruns in the 1965 World Series. Koufax said Sweet Lou was a breath of fresh air.

When Simers asked Koufax about the two homeruns that Torre hit off of him. His response was "We Brooklyn kids stick together."

He Pitched a Perfect game, I get....

So I am in the back of the car, my friend Marika and her son in the front. We are crusing thru the diamond lane on the 10 Freeway when my phone rings. This guy says "Emma, this is Jeff...... Were you at the Safe At Home Foundation event at the Nokia?

I said "Yes! I had a wonderful time there!" He then says "Well, I am calling you to tell you that you were selected as the winner of the baseball signed by Joe Torre and Sandy Koufax!"

I screamed "WHAT!? WOW! OMG! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS!" WOW "You made my day! my week! my season! .." "THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! " He said 'We knew we had the right person when we saw your email name crzblue"

Jeff said he did not have the ball but that he talked to Torre and it was decided that I will be presented with the ball at Dodger Stadium sometime in April. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!! WOOHOO!!

Thank you Safe At Home Foundation! Thank you Mr. Torre! Thank you Sandy Koufax! Thank you Jeff!

Check Joe Torre Safe Af Home Foundation at
    http://www.joetorre.org/en/pages/default.aspx

------------------
    Emma
    http://DodgersBlueBlog.com/
    Last edited by crzblue; 03-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.

I saw the event on TV. Must see for any baseball fan. There are no classier people in baseball (or maybe anywhere) than Sandy Koufax and Joe Torre.

That's way cool, Emma. From the Top Deck to the field!
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Expo,
    That is great that you were able to watch it! It was truly a great treat!
    ChineseDemocracy!
    LOL! I love the Top Deck and the friends that I made there! They are great people! I am not sure how I will collect the baseball but Jeff will let me know! I watch BP as often as I can so a lot of time I enter thru the field level. After BP, I make my way up the Top Deck but not before I have stopped and chatted with many people along the way.
    Emma
    http://crzblue.mlblogs.com

Quote Originally Posted by crzblue View Post

ChineseDemocracy!
    LOL! I love the Top Deck and the friends that I made there! They are great people! I am not sure how I will collect the baseball but Jeff will let me know! I watch BP as often as I can so a lot of time I enter thru the field level. After BP, I make my way up the Top Deck but not before I have stopped and chatted with many people along the way.
    Emma
    Sounds like my routine when I go. Well, except chatting with many people along the way.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!!! WOOHOO!!
    I don't think a simple all-caps WOO HOO is gonna do it. I think this is what you need...

X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

[QUOTE=Gary Dunaier;1709401]I don't think a simple all-caps WOO HOO is gonna do it. I think this is what you need...

unfortunately I can't see what you are sending because of security at work, but I'll check when I get home!
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I wish I could have watched Koufax pitch. He is a legend.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    I don't think a simple all-caps WOO HOO is gonna do it. I think this is what you need...

Gary!
    I LOVE that WOOHOO!!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!

Koufax

I saw Koufax pitch at Dodger Stadium. Drysdale, too. I believe they are the best 1-2 pitching combo in baseball history. Every time they were on the mound you knew the Dodgers had a great chance of winning the game.

Ex-Expo,
    Richard (who posted here) and I were not as lucky as you to have watched Sandy or Drysdale pitch. Well, maybe Richard saw Drysdale.
    I go back to Dodger Stadium tonight! The Dodgers play an exhibition game with the Indians! I can't wait.
    I so hope that for Opening Day that Sandy will be there! Just seeing him from afar brings a big smile to my face!
    Emma
    Last edited by crzblue; 04-11-2010 at 07:22 AM. Reason: forgot "my" before face. i really shoudl proofread.

I had said here that I was going to get the ball in April. Well, it did not happen, but I did get a call from Jeff saying that it will happen in this homestand!
    Emma

http://www.dodgersblueblog.com/

No baseball yet...

The last homestand in May went by and no baseball so I texted Jeff to get an update.

He said he and his wife are expecting any day now so he has been so busy but that he will contact me in a few weeks. I told him his baby is most important. He said "I have your baseball in a safe place. It just needs to be 'delivered' appropriately. ." I was showing a friend the text and asking "What does he means by that !?! She teased me telling 'maybe they will make you catch it from far and if you cannot catch it, you lose it". haha.
    The Dodgers are currently on the road playing the Cubbies (they lost the first game). Then they head to Colorado for three. They return on Memorial Day for a thirteen game homestand. Will it happen then?

After a day off June 14th, the Dodgers go on the road to play Cincinnati for three, then June 18 - 20, they will be in Boston. I will be in Boston for this three game series! I can't wait!

They come back to play three games at Anaheim Stadium, then the Yankees are in town for three! I can't believe the homestand will consist of just three games but I guess with Anaheim being so close.. Anyway, will it happen then?

My brother Vic teases me telling me that it is all a figment of my imagination. I tell him "NO! NO! I have the texts to prove it!"

So a few days before the All-Star, I got another call from Jeff. He asked me if was available on a certain date. I said pretty much that if is Dodger related, I am ready. Anyway, Torre was not available for that date. It was just as well as I was volunteering at the All-Star FanFest for three days so I was heading to Dodger Stadium just with enough time to make it by game time. Jeff told me to pick two days so long as it was not the start of a homestand or was it the start of a series... Anyway, I told him to pick the days himself as my schedule is open.
    I got a call a couple of days ago from Jeff that he is working on tickets for either 8/4 or 8/5. Again, i texted him that I am available either day! I am excited! I get to take a guest so I asked my brother Vic but he said to take my friend Lorena. The Padres are in town for a four game series starting 8/2 to 8/6. In the meantime the Dodgers took the first game of the series at Petco. The starters have been unbelievable! Dodger starting pitchers have allowed one earned run in their past 43 innings!

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I wish I could have watched Koufax pitch. He is a legend.
    There are some clips available on Youtube.
    The Evil Empire shall strike back again!
    http://litbases.wordpress.com/

I was volunteering at the All-Star FanFest for three days
    How was your experience, what did you do? I was a "New York Ambassador" during All-Star Weekend in New York a couple of years ago. The best thing about it, for me, was free admission to the Fan Fest.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    How was your experience, what did you do? I was a "New York Ambassador" during All-Star Weekend in New York a couple of years ago. The best thing about it, for me, was free admission to the Fan Fest.

Gary,
    Was being an ambassador like greeting the players and celebrities? I think that is what I was originally setup to be when I went to the mass interview but I asked to be changed to work the FanFest. When I told a friend that recently moved here from Philadelphia she told me that what I had was a good thing. She had volunteered before in Phlly. Wish I would have talked to her before. I could have been greeting players and celebrities and helping them.
    I LOVED the experience working the FanFest! It was my frist time volunteering at a FanFest . It was alot of work but I had fun doing it. The best thing for me also was free admission to the FanFest. I actually did not finish doing everything I wanted to participate as a fan. I love the place!

Because I changed from what I originally was setup to do work at the FanFest, I was a DH so the first day they put me in a room stuffing the welcome plastic bags that were being handed out at the entrance. the second day, I had a sign that said "HOW CAN I HELP YOU?" and I handed out the daily event schedule that contained the time and where the players were signing. The third day I was working the Waiver table having them fill out a sheet and stamping them so they could participate in all the FanFest had to offer.
    I loved being a volunteer there! I loved talking with baseball fans_young ones and adults. I had a great time and I would volunteer again. In fact, now I would consider doing that every year, making it a vacation trip to volunteer, attend the fanFest and the All-Star game.
    Next year is in Arizona (if they do not change that on account of the new law that went into effect today). I've been to Arizona several times to see the Dodgers there but still I would consider a vacation trip there next year. We'll see what happens in AZ.
    Emma

Was being an ambassador like greeting the players and celebrities?
    No, at least not for me... I was assigned to work the Bon Jovi concert in Central Park, which wasn't as exciting as it sounds because all we did - me and two other volunteers - was stand by an entrance to the park, make sure nobody entered, and tell ticketholders where the entrances were.

In fact, now I would consider doing that every year, making it a vacation trip to volunteer, attend the fanFest and the All-Star game.
    Not too long after the All-Star Game I received a letter from MLB saying that since I now had MLB volunteer experience, if I wanted to volunteer the following year I'd automatically be accepted. Unfortunately the #7 train doesn't go all the way to St. Louis ('09 site), so I couldn't do it... but when New York gets it again in '13, I'll be there.
    X

Smile

I finally got my Sandy Koufax baseball on Wednesday 8/4/2010!!!

So my friend Lorena and I met Jeff Kliewer, the Director of Development of Joe Torre Safe At Home Foundation http://www.joetorre.org/en/pages/default.aspx by the main office of Dodger Stadium. We were scheduled to meet him at 4:30 so we could go down the field and watch batting practice standing on the field! We both were very excited for that opportunity!

When we got there Joe Torre was having his daily meeting wiht the media where they gather around with their mikes and notebooks around the dugout. We watched him for a little then turn our wondering eyes to the batting practice area where Andre Ethier was at the cage! Once Torre finished he came over where Jeff, Lorena and I were standing. He talked with us and then he noticed I did not have my On The field pass correctly so he said "Let me fix this for you before the pictures "

So here Joe Torre and I:

I was telling him that after watching the Joe Torre/Sandy Koufax event, I went home and watched the replay. I should have told him "Leave the starters longer" and "Let Matt Kemp play!" lol.

Here is a picture of my baseball!!

August 4, 2010 was a very special day for me, one that I would never forget! Thank you Joe Torre!! Thank you Jeff Kleiwer!! thank you Safe At Home Foundation and thank you Sandy Koufax!!!

Emma

Here is a link to Joe Torre's foundation
    http://www.joetorre.org/en/pages/default.aspx