Clear All
  • adamsowell
    International Player
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    David Justice
    Jose Guillen
    Sammy Sosa
    I have no evidence, but I'm guessing Delmon Young is not especially well-liked.
    Dave Justice? Really? I would of thought the opposite...
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
      A Gametime Decision
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by adamsowell View Post
      Dave Justice? Really? I would of thought the opposite...
      I remember reading somewhere years ago when Barry Bonds became a free agent and was going to leave the Pirates, one of the teams pursuing him was Atlanta. One of the Braves' players was quoted as saying something like "Please, we already have David Justice. Do we have to have the two biggest a------- in the league"?
      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
        A Gametime Decision
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by KHenry14 View Post
        Uh, tell that to anyone who was in contact with him when he was on the Giants...
        Well, he's been on the White Sox for five full seasons with no major problems, so either he grew up, or the issues with the Giants may have had some other underlying cause.
        They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• KHenry14
          Gigantes Moderator
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
          Well, he's been on the White Sox for five full seasons with no major problems, so either he grew up, or the issues with the Giants may have had some other underlying cause.
          Most people think it was just that he didn't want to be there so he was acting out in order to get moved. But trust me, he was a huge pain the one season he was there, so his acting out worked for him.
          “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• KHenry14
            Gigantes Moderator
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by yanks0714 View Post
            I can understand some of these guys being o this list but a couple of them are confusing to me. Ron Hunt, Jerry Grote, and Andy Messersmith. Wha was the problem with these 3 guys? And Chris Brown I don't even remember for some reason.
            Chris Brown played on the Giants for a short period of time. He had a lot of talent and potential (4th in the '84 ROY voting) , but there was a series of issues with him that got him traded and released by three teams. Most importantly, he missed a ton of games for some bizare reasons, like a bruised tooth or "sleeping on his eye wrong". He was packaged by the Giants in a trade with the Padres which netted Kevin Mitchell, Dave Dravecky and Craig Lefferts, three guys who were instrumental in the Giants winning the NL West in 1987. He finished with the Tigers where even Sparky Anderson couldn't get through to him.

Poor guy died mysteriously in 2006.
            “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Comment

• Victory Faust
              He of the windmill windup
              • Jun 2005

Chris Brown once sat out a game because he said he strained his eyelid. Sparky didn't go for that sort of thing, to say the least!
              "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                A Gametime Decision
                • Apr 2008

Most people think it was just that he didn't want to be there so he was acting out in order to get moved. But trust me, he was a huge pain the one season he was there, so his acting out worked for him.
                Worked out well for the white Sox, too. I'm happy they have him.

Comment

• Jorge
                  • Jul 2009

AJ Pierzynski's teammates were not big fans of him when he played for the Twins. It got out in the media, I think ESPN.com did a story, and pretty soon Twins fans turned on him too. That rep followed him to San Francisco. He's managed to shake that rap in Chicago. Maybe he grew up, but a World Series win and longevity may have given him some slack too.

Comment

• cgcoyne2
                    Jonathan E's number 1 fan
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by stevebogus View Post
                    I doubt Martin was jealous of Reggie. Martin knew how to light a fire under people. I'm sure he thought it was a great motivational tool. Embarrassing a superstar on national TV served his purposes, as there was no way Martin was going to tolerate lack of hustle on his team. Martin was essentially telling the team "I don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, you play hard for me or you don't play".
                    I will start with this. I was a big Reggie fan, but I will admit he was an idiot at times. But you are incorrect about Billy Martin. Billy hated Reggie because he couldn't control him. BILLY MARTIN WAS A PIECE OF SH*T. He would attack physically, abuse verbally, and sucker punch many many people at all times. His problem was that he wasn't that good and had to work very hard to stay in the majors. He hated people like Reggie that had superior talent and were wasting them, in his opinion. Martin went out of his way to abuse Reggie to get back at George and everybody involved at the time to this day says Billy was wrong in what he did.
                    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• cgcoyne2
                      Jonathan E's number 1 fan
                      • Mar 2008

Shea Hillenbrand was practically thrown out of Toronto.
                      Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• CandlestickBum
                        2010, Year of the Giant
                        • Aug 2006

Reading between the lines, I was under the impression that he was a blowhard, and inavertently(?) insulted a clubhouse leader, pretty sure it was a pitcher, which as a sign of unanimity the rest of the clubhouse turned against AJ. It sure seemed like some clique thing where he was ostrasized pretty early on and he was too proud to bend and get past it.
                        And yeah, he made some a-hole quotes that were printed, and pitchers gripes of lazyness about catching warm ups or something as well.
                        If the pitching staff doesn't like a catcher, forgettaboutit.

Comment

• Ubiquitous
                          stats moderator
                          • Aug 2005

AJ is an a******** but when you win people are willing to take it. Ozzie used to make jokes about how bad AJ's personality is, I don't know if he still does. It was pretty common knowledge that AJ was one of the most hated players in the league. During spring training with the Giants AJ took a ball to the nuts and the trainer ran out to him and ask him how did it feel and he replied by punching the trainer in the nuts and saying "like this".

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                            A Gametime Decision
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Ubiquitous View Post
                            AJ is an a******** but when you win people are willing to take it. Ozzie used to make jokes about how bad AJ's personality is, I don't know if he still does. It was pretty common knowledge that AJ was one of the most hated players in the league. During spring training with the Giants AJ took a ball to the nuts and the trainer ran out to him and ask him how did it feel and he replied by punching the trainer in the nuts and saying "like this".
                            I've heard that story, and I agree it takes an A------ to do that. But again, AJ has been with the Sox for five+ seasons now, and a clubhouse cancer doesn't stay in one place for five years unless he's Barry Bonds. I think he may have grown up some since his year with the Jints.

Comment

• Ubiquitous
                              stats moderator
                              • Aug 2005

I'm not claiming he is a clubhouse cancer. Frankly, I don't think fans have the first clue as to who is or isn't a clubhouse cancer.

Comment

• chicagowhitesox1173
                                2005 World Series Champs
                                • Jun 2010

I always heard A.J. Pierzynski got a bad rap in SanFransico because one time instead of going over the opposing teams lineups he was playing cards and also I heard that alot of the SF players were really religous and A.J. rubbed those guys the wrong way. He does seem kinda arrogant though and i've heard he sometimes acts like a diva. There was a story once about him and the batboy or clubhouse kid and he went off on the poor kid for not packing his bats in the way he liked em packed. I would say he's well liked though in the Sox clubhouse unlike Frank Thomas who was despised by most teammates.

In a spring training game he payed 100 bucks to any Sox hitter who hit a homerun off any of those Giants pitchers who gave him the slacker rap.
                                "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X