Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst clubhouse chemistry guys

John Rocker
    Jesse Burkett
    Johnny Evers
    Lefty Grove
    Ken Williams (Stl Browns)
    "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
    -Satchel Paige

He'll be on his fifth team in four years this season, there's usually a reason for that.

example A = Rogers Hornsby
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    He'll be on his fifth team in four years this season, there's usually a reason for that.

example A = Rogers Hornsby
    Then I think you've GOT to include Mr. 1977, Dave Kingman
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by Victory Faust View Post
    Reggie Jackson has had his image made over the same as Muhammad Ali. In their time, they both were considered loudmouth idiots by a lot of people. Now, they're canonized by the media.
    I agree about Reggie. Saw an interview with him a few years ago where he was criticizing today's players for not respecting the game and appreciating what they have, etc. I thought to myself, how can he be saying this...considering he was the original a-hole!

The producers of the old Home Run derby television show. They used to pay pitchers to give up home runs balls, and you can't get much worse for clubhouse chemistry than that.

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    I'm stunned that no one has mentioned Milton Bradley yet.

Chris Brown, former Giant third baseman, was another poison pill; a loafer and a malingerer.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bear View Post
    I'm stunned that no one has mentioned Milton Bradley yet.
    First sentence of the first post...
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

You have to throw Gary Shefiedl into this discussion as well. Absolutely a horrible person to have in the clubhouse. He badtalked every team he had been with previously, i was so happy when Detroit got rid of him. He was a cancer with every team he played for imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenchley View Post
    You have to throw Gary Shefiedl into this discussion as well. Absolutely a horrible person to have in the clubhouse. He badtalked every team he had been with previously, i was so happy when Detroit got rid of him. He was a cancer with every team he played for imo.
    Sheffield was great his first year in Detroit, especially with Curtis Granderson. His second year, though, is when he stopped being so helpful. Pretty much controlling whatever music was played in the clubhouse was one thing that stands out for me.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by jbenchley View Post
    Thats for sure. I recall when he was with the Yanks, after the first couple of years broadcasters were saying, don't see any problems with Gary. Not like his past track record, looks fine with the Yanks.
    Until Gary left.............her comes the old Gary, first it was two other former teams, Brewers and Dodgers, not treating him fair, it was his skin color. Now he leaves the Yanks and bad mouths Joe Torre, according to Gary, Joe treats white and black player differently.
    Whats amazing on this board is some come to Gary's defense, it's earlier problems in life, his skin color, lets cut him some slack.
    OK Gary is right and others are wrong, three diferent teams, all wrong, not treating him fair..........sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Thats for sure. I recall when he was with the Yanks, after the first couple of years broadcasters were saying, don't see any problems with Gary. Not like his past track record, looks fine with the Yanks.
    Until Gary left.............her comes the old Gary, first it was two other former teams, Brewers and Dodgers, not treating him fair, it was his skin color. Now he leaves the Yanks and bad mouths Joe Torre, according to Gary, Joe treats white and black player differently.
    Whats amazing on this board is some come to Gary's defense, it's earlier problems in life, his skin color, lets cut him some slack.
    OK Gary is right and others are wrong, three diferent teams, all wrong, not treating him fair..........sure.
    Hell, you can't even call Milton Bradley a cancer on this board without getting an argument.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Hell, you can't even call Milton Bradley a cancer on this board without getting an argument.
    some people just like to play games
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

You'd think Milton himself would be more of a "gamer" with that name.

You'd think Milton himself would be more of a "gamer" with that name.

Groan!
    "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Did I nominate David Cone? (because of the bleach incident)
    Did anyone get the "chemistry" reference?

Nope, flew over my pointy head like a birdie.

Another entry for worst clubhouse guy, if he's not already been mentioned -- Chick Gandil. Talk about infiiltrating a clubhouse!

George Stovall certainly deserves a mention. In 1907 he busted his manager, Nap Lajoie, over the head with an oak chair because Nap dropped him in the batting order!

The thing with calling him a cancer is that (from what I've heard) he's only sometimes a cancer. With some teams, he's nutso, but with others, he's been fine (which is why I'm optimistic with him coming to the Mariners this year).
    Last edited by Wade8813; 02-04-2010 at 03:21 AM.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Victory Faust View Post
    George Stovall certainly deserves a mention. In 1907 he busted his manager, Nap Lajoie, over the head with an oak chair because Nap dropped him in the batting order!
    The Cleveland management must not have thought Stovall was too bad, though, because they made him the manager a few years later.

> Did I nominate David Cone? (because of the bleach incident)

If you need to explain, it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beady View Post
    The Cleveland management must not have thought Stovall was too bad, though, because they made him the manager a few years later.
    "Firebrand" George Stovall replaced Deacon McGuire early in 1911 and completed the season. McGuire had followed Lajoie.

The Yankees replaced George Stallings with his foe "Prince Hal" Chase late in 1910 and retained Chase in the role for 1911.

Stovall and Chase were the regular firstbasemen. McGuire and Stallings were professional managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wendt View Post
    If you need to explain, it didn't work.
    I'd like to think that my humor is too far over you guys, but I secretly suspect it's just the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by rsuriyop View Post
    John Rocker
    Jesse Burkett
    Johnny Evers
    Lefty Grove
    Ken Williams (Stl Browns)
    I don't know about Grove. He was certainly known to fly into rages and toss the locker room after a loss... but in some ways I'd consider that to be good clubhouse chemistry. He was a competitive a-hole, which might make him a poor dinner guest, but on a professional sport team is actually useful. He only made one team move in his career and that was because Mack was cutting salary... I'd think that bad clubhouse guys would be moved more than that.

By contribution would be Hal Chase... and some of Jackie Robinson's initial teammates (Dixie Walker, for instance).
    "(Van) Mungo and I get along fine. I just tell him I won't stand for no nonsense, and then I duck."
    Casey Stengel

Has anyone noticed that "some" of the most thought of clubhouse cancers were not thought of in that way by a good number who were teammates.

Some players have a bad rep but then we see comments by former teammates and they got along fine.
    I think over the years the bad rep story gets legs and appears to be worse than it actually was, in some cases.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-06-2010 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastvanmungo View Post
    ... and some of Jackie Robinson's initial teammates (Dixie Walker, for instance).
    Dixie Walker was "The Peoples' Choice" (or Cherce), he was the most popular player in Brooklyn before Robinson came along. Of course, that changed a lot of things.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast