Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Worst clubhouse chemistry guys

Gary Sheffield
    Aj Pierzynski
    Hal Chase
    Curt Schilling
    Rogers Hornsby
    Barry Bonds

I know AJ Piersynski rubs a lot of people the wrong way, but I'll tell you what-he's one of the smartest, quickest thinking players in the game. I can site two games he won for the White Sox that were both huge in the scheme of things.

With the score tied in the ninth inning of game two of the 2005 ALCS, he "stole" first base on a pitch that may or may not have hit the ground. The point is, he saw how close it was, and that the catcher assumed it was stike three, inning over, and rolled the ball back out to the mound, so AJ took off for first base. The umpire ruled it a dropped third strike, and the Sox went on to win the game and the ALCS.

In 2008, in another tied-game, late-inning situation, AJ was caught in a rundown between second and third base. Instead of letting himself be tagged out, he bumped into the shortstop and fell down. He got up indignantly claiming interference, and the umpire bought it and awarded him third base. He came around to score what proved to be the winning run. He literally stole that game, and if he hadn't, the Sox would not have finished tied with the Twins at the top of the division.

Yes, he can be a jerk, but if he's on your team, you begin to appreciate him.
    Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 02-06-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by jbenchley View Post
    You have to throw Gary Shefiedl into this discussion as well. Absolutely a horrible person to have in the clubhouse. He badtalked every team he had been with previously, i was so happy when Detroit got rid of him. He was a cancer with every team he played for imo.
    Gary Sheffield wasn't a cancer in Atlanta. If he was, he only would have played with them one season.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Dixie Walker was "The Peoples' Choice" (or Cherce), he was the most popular player in Brooklyn before Robinson came along. Of course, that changed a lot of things.
    Walker was involved in the infamous petition, but then seems to have largely ignored Robinson as opposed to Hugh Casey, who said some incredibly vulgar things to him. Walker appears to have been "The People's Choice" in Brooklyn in part because he had been knocking around a while, made it big, and didn't take guff from anyone, including Larry MacPhail and Leo Durocher.

That said, Walker later recanted, saying he had been wrong about Robinson, and when he was the batting coach with the Dodgers, he was well-known for working well with ALL players.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Gary Sheffield wasn't a cancer in Atlanta. If he was, he only would have played with them one season.
    Seconded. I think Cox's even keel and Gary's personal friendship with Chipper smoothed a lot of the way.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"The people who tell me they hate baseball or are out of baseball, they sound bitter about it. But I think that they sense what they’re missing. I think that they feel that there’s something their not in on, which is a terrible loss and I’m sorry for them." - Roger Angell

I remember reading Jim Edmonds wasn't too popular with his teammates on the Angels.

And Jose Guillen was ousted by Scioscia, a move applauded by the Angel players.

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    The thing with calling him a cancer is that (from what I've heard) he's only sometimes a cancer. With some teams, he's nutso, but with others, he's been fine (which is why I'm optimistic with him coming to the Mariners this year).
    Bradley clearly has emotional problems. I've read his personal story, so some of his problems are not his fault, but that doesn't make him any easier to deal with.

Bradley's "bad chemistry" takes him out of the lineup for parts of the year, so no matter how great he is, you can't really ever be sure he'll finish out the season.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    The Bad Chemistry All-StarTeam:

1B Hal Chase
    2B Ron Hunt
    SS Maury Wills
    3B Chris Brown
    LF Alex Johnson
    CF Milton Bradley
    RF Carl Everett
    C Jerry Grote
    SP Andy Messersmith
    SP Denny McLain
    SP Carl Mays
    SP Dock Ellis
    CL Mitch Williams
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Dock Ellis had most of his problems with club owners and management lackeys like writers and broadcasters.

"The people who tell me they hate baseball or are out of baseball, they sound bitter about it. But I think that they sense what they’re missing. I think that they feel that there’s something their not in on, which is a terrible loss and I’m sorry for them." - Roger Angell

What about Derek "operation shutdown" Bell? What a joke. That situation defines the Pirates and their patheticness over the last 18 years.

Speaking of Mondesi, a guy in Pittsburgh named a website after Raul in his "honor": http://mondesishouse.blogspot.com/

Also, what about Steve Garvey and Don Sutton? I heard that they didn't like each other with the Dodgers in the late-70's. That had to cause some friction in the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by PACrdfn View Post
    What about Derek "operation shutdown" Bell? What a joke. That situation defines the Pirates and their patheticness over the last 18 years.
    An absolute and utter scumbag.
    Also, what about Steve Garvey and Don Sutton? I heard that they didn't like each other with the Dodgers in the late-70's. That had to cause some friction in the clubhouse.
    That was more like Garvey vs. All The Other Dodgers. Don just stepped up and volunteered to be the one to shove his thumb in Steve's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by PACrdfn View Post

I thought Garvey was a good guy?
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Yes, he can be a jerk, but if he's on your team, you begin to appreciate him.
    Uh, tell that to anyone who was in contact with him when he was on the Giants...
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bear View Post
    The Bad Chemistry All-StarTeam:

1B Hal Chase
    2B Ron Hunt
    SS Maury Wills
    3B Chris Brown
    LF Alex Johnson
    CF Milton Bradley
    RF Carl Everett
    C Jerry Grote
    SP Andy Messersmith
    SP Denny McLain
    SP Carl Mays
    SP Dock Ellis
    CL Mitch Williams
    I can understand some of these guys being o this list but a couple of them are confusing to me. Ron Hunt, Jerry Grote, and Andy Messersmith. Wha was the problem with these 3 guys? And Chris Brown I don't even remember for some reason.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Quote Originally Posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    I thought Garvey was a good guy?
    He was obsessed with his squeaky clean All=American image. Which I would guess some of his teammates knew was a farce.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Blog Entries
    David Justice
    Jose Guillen
    Sammy Sosa
    I have no evidence, but I'm guessing Delmon Young is not especially well-liked.
    Dave Justice? Really? I would of thought the opposite...
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamsowell View Post
    Dave Justice? Really? I would of thought the opposite...
    I remember reading somewhere years ago when Barry Bonds became a free agent and was going to leave the Pirates, one of the teams pursuing him was Atlanta. One of the Braves' players was quoted as saying something like "Please, we already have David Justice. Do we have to have the two biggest a------- in the league"?
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Uh, tell that to anyone who was in contact with him when he was on the Giants...
    Well, he's been on the White Sox for five full seasons with no major problems, so either he grew up, or the issues with the Giants may have had some other underlying cause.

Well, he's been on the White Sox for five full seasons with no major problems, so either he grew up, or the issues with the Giants may have had some other underlying cause.
    Most people think it was just that he didn't want to be there so he was acting out in order to get moved. But trust me, he was a huge pain the one season he was there, so his acting out worked for him.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by yanks0714 View Post
    I can understand some of these guys being o this list but a couple of them are confusing to me. Ron Hunt, Jerry Grote, and Andy Messersmith. Wha was the problem with these 3 guys? And Chris Brown I don't even remember for some reason.
    Chris Brown played on the Giants for a short period of time. He had a lot of talent and potential (4th in the '84 ROY voting) , but there was a series of issues with him that got him traded and released by three teams. Most importantly, he missed a ton of games for some bizare reasons, like a bruised tooth or "sleeping on his eye wrong". He was packaged by the Giants in a trade with the Padres which netted Kevin Mitchell, Dave Dravecky and Craig Lefferts, three guys who were instrumental in the Giants winning the NL West in 1987. He finished with the Tigers where even Sparky Anderson couldn't get through to him.

Poor guy died mysteriously in 2006.

Chris Brown once sat out a game because he said he strained his eyelid. Sparky didn't go for that sort of thing, to say the least!
    "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Most people think it was just that he didn't want to be there so he was acting out in order to get moved. But trust me, he was a huge pain the one season he was there, so his acting out worked for him.
    Worked out well for the white Sox, too. I'm happy they have him.

AJ Pierzynski's teammates were not big fans of him when he played for the Twins. It got out in the media, I think ESPN.com did a story, and pretty soon Twins fans turned on him too. That rep followed him to San Francisco. He's managed to shake that rap in Chicago. Maybe he grew up, but a World Series win and longevity may have given him some slack too.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebogus View Post
    I doubt Martin was jealous of Reggie. Martin knew how to light a fire under people. I'm sure he thought it was a great motivational tool. Embarrassing a superstar on national TV served his purposes, as there was no way Martin was going to tolerate lack of hustle on his team. Martin was essentially telling the team "I don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, you play hard for me or you don't play".
    I will start with this. I was a big Reggie fan, but I will admit he was an idiot at times. But you are incorrect about Billy Martin. Billy hated Reggie because he couldn't control him. BILLY MARTIN WAS A PIECE OF SH*T. He would attack physically, abuse verbally, and sucker punch many many people at all times. His problem was that he wasn't that good and had to work very hard to stay in the majors. He hated people like Reggie that had superior talent and were wasting them, in his opinion. Martin went out of his way to abuse Reggie to get back at George and everybody involved at the time to this day says Billy was wrong in what he did.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Shea Hillenbrand was practically thrown out of Toronto.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast