• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RuthMayBond
    Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by swingman24 View Post
    Exactly. The previous post is a bit misleading. Trick-or-treaters? Please. Those kids or teenagers, which would be more appropriate, had it coming.

If you egg my house; I'm coming for ya.
    Just don't do it with a car like Albert Belle did (to name another name)
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Victory Faust
      He of the windmill windup
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by yanks0714 View Post
      Jax was a prima donna. One of favs but still a prima donna. Billy Martin was a Manager who had to have control. I think Billy wanted to take Reggie down a peg, let him know that it didn't matter if he was the star or not. It also sent a message to the other players although I think most of the other Yankees secretly were glad Billy did what he did.

Reggie Jackson has had his image made over the same as Muhammad Ali. In their time, they both were considered loudmouth idiots by a lot of people. Now, they're canonized by the media.
      "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Comment

• Chadwick
        Chasing Cooperstown
        • Sep 2002

Jeff "Barry Who?" Kent
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
          A Gametime Decision
          • Apr 2008

Orlando Cabrera, to name a current player. He'll be on his fifth team in four years this season, there's usually a reason for that.

His one year (2008) with the White Sox did not endear him to players or management in Chicago. On more than one occasion, after being charged with an error, he would call the official scorer on the clubhouse phone during the game, trying to get the error reversed, charged to the first baseman, or whatever. He didn't exactly have a "team player" reputation.
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• RuthMayBond
            • Jan 2004

Did I nominate David Cone? (because of the bleach incident)
            Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

• rsuriyop
              Demon of the Stick
              • Apr 2003

John Rocker
              Jesse Burkett
              Johnny Evers
              Lefty Grove
              Ken Williams (Stl Browns)
              "Age is a question of mind over matter--if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
              -Satchel Paige

Comment

• 9RoyHobbsRF
                The Natural
                • Jan 2009

He'll be on his fifth team in four years this season, there's usually a reason for that.

example A = Rogers Hornsby
                1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
                2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://forums.delphiforums.com/GamersParadise
                3. My table top gaming blog: http://cary333.blogspot.com/

Comment

• RuthMayBond
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
                  He'll be on his fifth team in four years this season, there's usually a reason for that.

example A = Rogers Hornsby
                  Then I think you've GOT to include Mr. 1977, Dave Kingman

Comment

• Mr. Pibb
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Victory Faust View Post
                    Reggie Jackson has had his image made over the same as Muhammad Ali. In their time, they both were considered loudmouth idiots by a lot of people. Now, they're canonized by the media.
                    I agree about Reggie. Saw an interview with him a few years ago where he was criticizing today's players for not respecting the game and appreciating what they have, etc. I thought to myself, how can he be saying this...considering he was the original a-hole!

Comment

• Beady
                      • Oct 2008

The producers of the old Home Run derby television show. They used to pay pitchers to give up home runs balls, and you can't get much worse for clubhouse chemistry than that.
                      “Money, money, money; that is the article I am looking after now more than anything else. It is the only thing that will shape my course (‘religion is nowhere’).” - Ross Barnes

Comment

• Fuzzy Bear
                        Say Hey!
                        • May 2006

I'm stunned that no one has mentioned Milton Bradley yet.

Chris Brown, former Giant third baseman, was another poison pill; a loafer and a malingerer.
                        "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                          A Gametime Decision
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fuzzy Bear View Post
                          I'm stunned that no one has mentioned Milton Bradley yet.
                          First sentence of the first post...
                          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• jbenchley
                            • Jan 2010

You have to throw Gary Shefiedl into this discussion as well. Absolutely a horrible person to have in the clubhouse. He badtalked every team he had been with previously, i was so happy when Detroit got rid of him. He was a cancer with every team he played for imo.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                              OSHA-certified Moderator
                              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by jbenchley View Post
                              You have to throw Gary Shefiedl into this discussion as well. Absolutely a horrible person to have in the clubhouse. He badtalked every team he had been with previously, i was so happy when Detroit got rid of him. He was a cancer with every team he played for imo.
                              Sheffield was great his first year in Detroit, especially with Curtis Granderson. His second year, though, is when he stopped being so helpful. Pretty much controlling whatever music was played in the clubhouse was one thing that stands out for me.
                              Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                              Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                              Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                              Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                              Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• SHOELESSJOE3
                                • Jan 2000

Originally posted by jbenchley View Post
                                Thats for sure. I recall when he was with the Yanks, after the first couple of years broadcasters were saying, don't see any problems with Gary. Not like his past track record, looks fine with the Yanks.
                                Until Gary left.............her comes the old Gary, first it was two other former teams, Brewers and Dodgers, not treating him fair, it was his skin color. Now he leaves the Yanks and bad mouths Joe Torre, according to Gary, Joe treats white and black player differently.
                                Whats amazing on this board is some come to Gary's defense, it's earlier problems in life, his skin color, lets cut him some slack.
                                OK Gary is right and others are wrong, three diferent teams, all wrong, not treating him fair..........sure.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X