Thread: inside the park home runs

inside the park home runs

Anyone know where the best site is the find a list of all the inside the park homers in history.

Ive tried baseball-reference and baseball-almanac but could really only find the all time leaders.
    "all the mets road wins against the dodgers this year have occured at Dodger Stadium"---Ralph Kiner

"Blind people came to the park just to listen to him pitch"---Reggie Jackson, talking about Tom Seaver

Not the list itself, but the prospect of one: here.

Also, here's a list of inside-the-park grand slams up to the date of the post.
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m8644 View Post
    Anyone know where the best site is the find a list of all the inside the park homers in history.

Ive tried baseball-reference and baseball-almanac but could really only find the all time leaders.
    Not the list you're looking for, the the all-time leaders and their percentages.

Twenty Career Inside the Park Home Runs
    Code:
    1. Sam Crawford --------- 51  of 97 (52%)
    2. Tommy Leach ---------- 49  of 63 (77%)
    3. Ty Cobb -------------- 46  of 117(39%)
    4. Honus Wagner---------- 41  of 101(40%)
    5. Tris Speaker --------- 37  of 117(31%)
    6. Jake Daubert --------- 33  of 56 (58%)
    7. Chief Wilson --------- 31  of 59 (52%)
    8. Rogers Hornsby ------- 30  of 301(10%)
    9. Willie Keeler -------- 30  of 33 (90%)
    10. Edd Roush ----------- 30  of 68 (44%)
    11. Max Carey ----------- 28  of 70 (40%)
    12. Ed Konetchy --------- 28  of 74 (37%)
    13. Jesse Burkett ------- 27  of 75 (36%)
    14. Zack Wheat ---------- 25  of 132(19%)
    15. Hal Chase ----------- 24  of 57 (42%)
    16. Fred Clarke --------- 23  of 67 (34%)
    17. Earle Combs --------- 23  of 58 (39%)
    18. Rabbit Maranville --- 22  of 28 (78%)
    19. Ginger Beaumont ----- 21  of 39 (53%)
    20. Sherry Magee -------- 21  of 83 (25%)
    21. Sam Rice ------------ 21  of 34 (61%)
    22. Cy Seymour ---------- 21  of 52 (40%)
    23. George Sisler ------- 20  of 102(19%)
    Last edited by Bill Burgess; 02-15-2010 at 07:43 AM.

Willie Wilson has the most of any player since 1950 with 13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Wilson_(baseball)

Ty Cobb led the league in home runs in 1909. Cobb, 9 home runs all 9 were IPHRs.
    Tris Speakerr was second with 7 home runs, 6 were IPHRs.

The most awesome inside-the-park home run ever was hit by Roberto Clemente on July 25, 1956. An inside-the-park ultimate grand slam (walk-off HR, bottom of the ninth, down by 3). Awesome.

Home Run #11 here:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...=clemero01&t=b

And here's the box score, which unfortunately has no play-by-play:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95607250.shtml
    *** Submit your personal HOF as your ballot for the Single Ballot BBF Hall of Fame! *** Also: Buck the Fraves!

Here is one for you. The Babe hit a IPHR, April 23, 1919 against his future team, NY Yankees.
    We've heard lots of stories about some of his long booming home runs.
    This IPHR was probably his " shortest homer" ever.
    Low line drive that took a wicked hop, over the shoulder of Yankee centerfielder Duffy Lewis, estimated at 215-240 feet.

If this is not one of the most exciting plays in baseball it IS the single most exciting one. It is a darn shame -a darn shame!- that baseball owners decided to deprive us fans of their occurrence by bringing in the fences and give us those detestable quirkless bandboxes. I would have loved to see how the old stadiums played with those enormous outfields and the prospect of an inside-the-parker was more realistic and frequent than it is today.

It would force players to bust it out of the box and not do that idiotic home run gander/jog once they think they hit they ball hard.
    Shame.
    Last edited by trepye; 03-03-2010 at 09:46 AM.
    Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
    Thanks Sandy Alderson.

I swear, so help me-I saw Ron Cey hit an inside the park home run. Near the end of his career, he was playing for the Cubs at Wrigley field. It was a long drive to center, I believe. I don't remember all the details, the outfielder must have fallen down and knocked himself out or something, and Cey waddled all the way around the bases. As he slid into home, Harry Caray, who at that point had been broadcasting baseball for about 45 years, said "Now I have seen everything!"
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Pokey Reese hit a inside the park home run on May 8,2004 against the Royals.

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I swear, so help me-I saw Ron Cey hit an inside the park home run. Near the end of his career, he was playing for the Cubs at Wrigley field. It was a long drive to center, I believe. I don't remember all the details, the outfielder must have fallen down and knocked himself out or something, and Cey waddled all the way around the bases. As he slid into home, Harry Caray, who at that point had been broadcasting baseball for about 45 years, said "Now I have seen everything!"
    That one was a typical Wrigley "wind blown" home run. Started out looking like routine fly to right, Dave Parker slammed in to the wall.

Leaders since 1940

1. Willie Wilson - 13
    2. Roberto Clemente - 10
    3. Stan Musial - 9
    3. Lou Brock - 9
    4. Willie Mays - 8
    4. Richie Ashburn - 8

Bill Buckner hit an inside the park HR in his final season, when he returned to the Red Sox. Someone said (either the game announcer or the sports reporter on the local news channel in the Quad Cities or Des Moines area) that Buckner was "leaking oil all around the bases". I think it was Claudell Washington that went after the ball, but fell into the stands as Buckner limped his way around the bases to score.

I posted this before in another thread here a year or so ago, and another guy supplied the video of it from youtube. Good stuff!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Bill Buckner hit an inside the park HR in his final season, when he returned to the Red Sox. Someone said (either the game announcer or the sports reporter on the local news channel in the Quad Cities or Des Moines area) that Buckner was "leaking oil all around the bases". I think it was Claudell Washington that went after the ball, but fell into the stands as Buckner limped his way around the bases to score.

I posted this before in another thread here a year or so ago, and another guy supplied the video of it from youtube. Good stuff!
    Sounds like Claudell. When he was with the White Sox in the 70s, fans in the left field stands used to hold up a sign saying "Washington Slept Here".
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Dick Allen of the White Sox hit two IPHRs against Bert Blyleven on July 31st, 1972...I believe Jim Kaat wrote that they were both scorched line drive knucklers that the Twins' CF had no chance to glove.
    Greg Gagne also had two IPHRs to help the Twins beat the ChiSox on Oct. 4, 1986.
    The starting pitcher who got the win?
    Bert Blyleven.
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/bl...e-park-homers/
    "If I drink whiskey, I'll never get worms!" - Hack Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Sounds like Claudell. When he was with the White Sox in the 70s, fans in the left field stands used to hold up a sign saying "Washington Slept Here".

That is hilarious! I had heard that before, just didn't know where it came from!

"I sure was having a picnic with Frisch. You oughta seen the fellows in the clubhouse when I was puttin' him on. They was duckin' behind posts, tryin' to keep Frank from seein' how they was laughin', an' I had a time keepin' a straight face myself. I hope Frank manages the Cardinals forever. I sure love to drive that Dutchman nuts!" Dizzy Dean

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Wow. That box score was a trip down memory lane! Kirk McCaskill, Mike Witt, Mark Eichhorn, Mike Boddicker, Rob Murphy and Jeff Reardon pitching. Lance Parrish and Tony Pena catching. Brian Downing the leadoff DH for the Angels. Wally Joyner and Billy Buckner the starting 1Bmen, just to irk those that demand a power guy at 1B! Jody Reed at SS, Marty Barrett and Johnny Ray at 2B. Jack Howell and Wade Boggs the 3Bmen. And so many "greats" in the OF on both teams! I love it. Danny Heep started in that game for Boston! Downing and Boggs were the station to station lead off hitters! Oh, how I miss those days of Red Sox baseball.