Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves 2010 Spring Training/Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chip&smoltz95 View Post
    i am starting to think that venters and proctor are going to get the last two spots. With chavez or jojo reyes filling in for proctor if he is not ready to start the season.
    well, chavez may have finally dropped out of the race with another awful performance today.

well, chavez may have finally dropped out of the race with another awful performance today.
    Yea, at this stage of ST giving up 5 runs in 1 inning will certainly not help you.
    My collection of autographs: TTM Autos

Well it is official with Heyward being the RF for opening day.
    Extend Prado!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
    Well it is official with Heyward being the RF for opening day.

I'll have to get back to Atlanta this summer and catch a game. I Have To!!! The Braves play the Tigers @ 1PM on ESPN. What's up with the Bravos getting so much ESPN time this spring? I'm not complaining...just wondering
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post

I'll have to get back to Atlanta this summer and catch a game. I Have To!!! The Braves play the Tigers @ 1PM on ESPN. What's up with the Bravos getting so much ESPN time this spring? I'm not complaining...just wondering
    The Braves play in Disney who owns ESPN and is where ESPN does alot of shows out of during the start of Spring. It also seems like Baseball/teams are really trying to get more Spring Training coverage out there for TV, I remember a couple years ago where you would be lucky to see one game broad casted let alone the 10 or 15 that some teams are now getting.

Edit :: Good AB by Heyward, fouled off a lot of tough pitches from Verlander and laid off some nasty pitches though he couldn't catch up to a 98 MPH Fastball (though I doubt he is alone).

Also nice to see McLouth get a hard single on a 97 MPH fastball.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 03-26-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Extend Prado!!!

The Braves play in Disney who owns ESPN and is where ESPN does alot of shows out of during the start of Spring. It also seems like Baseball/teams are really trying to get more Spring Training coverage out there for TV, I remember a couple years ago where you would be lucky to see one game broad casted let alone the 10 or 15 that some teams are now getting.

Edit :: Good AB by Heyward, fouled off a lot of tough pitches from Verlander and laid off some nasty pitches though he couldn't catch up to a 98 MPH Fastball (though I doubt he is alone).

Also nice to see McLouth get a hard single on a 97 MPH fastball.
    mclouth might be breaking out just in time. also, i must command lowe on his efforts today, especially with the awful defense he had, being a groundball pitcher. 3 errors in the infield! Finally, I hope mccann doesn't get worn out before the season starts.... haha... he is on fiiiiiiiiiiire.

How about Hinske legging that single out!
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
    Since Proctor has just over five years of Major League service time, the Braves could avoid him hitting free agency after this season -- which a player is eligible for after accumulating six years of service time -- simply by keeping him off the team for about the first two or three weeks.
    I was not aware of this, but couple that with the fact that he could use the extra time to not start the season off rough, similar to the way moylan did. I think maybe he should start the season in the minors.

seems more and more likely that proctor will start in AAA. i don't see kimbrel making the team, so I guess that leaves two of venters, jo-jo and chavez. While i don't trust jo-jo, I think he has probably impressed enough or been better than chavez and venters to earn a spot. Not sure about the other spot to this point. I think venters has been slightly more impressive with that sinker (ala moylan), but I don't know if he is seasoned enough. Less than a week to go! woooooooooooooie!

PBF, you must be super happy about acosta. not only can the braves no longer let him blow leads for them, but he will probably be doing it for the mets. win-win!

PBF, you must be super happy about acosta. not only can the braves no longer let him blow leads for them, but he will probably be doing it for the mets. win-win!
    Exactly the second I saw Acosta got claimed by the Mets I was dancing.

I gotta believe the final two spots are going to be Chavez and Jo-Jo, Chavez hasn't pitched great but from most reports there were sometimes where he was just getting unlucky.

Edit :: The other thing that is curious is that with this move and the other two (Juan Abreu and Todd Redmond being out righted) it leaves three spots on the 40-man roster (not to mention the fact Diory Hernandez's spot as he will start the year on the DL). So basically the Braves will have 4 spots on the roster for at least the next 2 months or so. Two of those spots are destined for Heyward and Proctor but it is curious to think about what the Braves might be thinking.

It could be simply that they are trying to keep some flexibility for the roster but they also could be looking at a late spring addition to the team or (this is pure speculation on my part of course) I think they might be looking at adding Kimbrel early on. This open spot plus the fact Kimbrel will be working hard on control according to DOB.

Quote Originally Posted by DOB Twitter
    To clarify, Kimbrel will occasionally enter in 8th at Triple-A, go two innings so he can work on command and pitches. Could be in bigs soon.
    The Braves might be looking at him as an early boost should Chavez or Jo-Jo falter early on. It could mean nothing but if I had to guess that open spot on the roster might be for this reason, and if not oh well not the first time I was wrong.
    Last edited by PureBaseballFan; 03-30-2010 at 07:56 PM.
    Extend Prado!!!

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Wren will be able to pull off a decent trade Conrad or Thurston in the next few days.
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamsowell View Post
    I wonder if Wren will be able to pull off a decent trade Conrad or Thurston in the next few days.
    Who would want a AAAA infielder?

Blog Entries
    A team with injuries that's lacking depth off their bench, they get a young major league experienced utility infielder and give up a random minor leaguer.
    My Blog
    Adventures of a Las Vegas Local
    http://www.AdamVanWildest.com

Quote Originally Posted by adamsowell View Post
    A team with injuries that's lacking depth off their bench, they get a young major league experienced utility infielder and give up a random minor leaguer.
    I don't see how that's better than just keeping Conrad or Thurston around. I'm not sure the Braves can pull off another Tony Pena, Jr. type trade.

Sam, are you doing another year of the 3 stars?? I hope so.

is it too late to remove lowe from being the braves opening day starter? another 3 runs given up in the first inning today. he has been far and away the worst starter this spring for us.

is it too late to remove lowe from being the braves opening day starter? another 3 runs given up in the first inning today. he has been far and away the worst starter this spring for us.
    To put it simply, Spring Training and who the opening day starter is means very little in the longrun. Lowe starting on opening day doesn't take starts away from Hanson, Hudson or Jair, so overall it doesn't really matter.
    Extend Prado!!!

To put it simply, Spring Training and who the opening day starter is means very little in the longrun. Lowe starting on opening day doesn't take starts away from Hanson, Hudson or Jair, so overall it doesn't really matter.
    true and i am still optimistic that he will have a good year, but I think he will be the team's 4th or 5th "starter" in terms of stats. the only argument I have is that lowe as the "number 1 starter" will be going against most teams #1/2, so there is less room for error to get a win. I guess that would wash out with the other four staters but still.

true and i am still optimistic that he will have a good year, but I think he will be the team's 4th or 5th "starter" in terms of stats. the only argument I have is that lowe as the "number 1 starter" will be going against most teams #1/2, so there is less room for error to get a win. I guess that would wash out with the other four staters but still.
    Yea, lets just hope that Lowe remains blister free and brings his A+ game more times than not.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast