Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the last time its not a Red Sox hat!

For the last time its not a Red Sox hat!

Sorry to vent, but I must. If I have to hear one more uneducated Yankee fan tell me "Boston Sux" or "Go back to Boston" while wearing a BROOKLYN DODGERS hat I'm gonna lose it! I love how these self-professed die hard, so called knowledgable fans have no clue about baseball history. They know 2 things "we have 27 championships" and "we won last year". That is how every debate with a Yankees fan usually ends. News for the uneducated there is more to baseball than Red Sox vs Yankees! Sorry to vent but I had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

We won last year!
    We have 27 championships!

It is pretty confusing!...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Era-Fitted-B...item800ebf299d
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Authentic-NY...item3efda0bf23

About 15 miles East of Blue Heaven on Earth, Dodger Stadium
    Oh, I gotten the same thing and it irritates me when people don't know the B stands for Brooklyn.

Another one I get sometimes is when I wear my Vero Beach hat, they read it as V8 (the juice). IS VB FOR VERO BEACH!
    Emma
    http://crzblue.mlblogs.com

In response to ipitch,

The first example is definately not a Brooklyn Dodgers hat as there is no white button on top. In addition there is no diamond cutout in the "B" and the script on the "B" curls down too much.

The second hat is also not a Brooklyn Dodgers hat but a reproduced "fashion" cap that has almost nothing to do with a accurate Brooklyn cap, as it has a blue button, if anything they got the color right and the "B" is passable. An actual Brooklyn Dodgers cap looks like this;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Notice the diamond cut-out and the ends of the "B" curl up, not down? In addition their is a white button on top. I was wearing the following cap today, compared with a Boston Red Sox hat; Apart from the letter "B" being used I dont see any resemblance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 03-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    In response to ipitch,

The first example is definately not a Brooklyn Dodgers hat as there is no white button on top. In addition there is no diamond cutout in the "B" and the script on the "B" curls down too much.
    I wasn't saying it's a Brooklyn Dodgers hat. It's a Red Sox hat. I posted those two hats to show that it can sometimes be pretty difficult to tell them apart these days.

With an authentic Brooklyn hat though, you're right, it shouldn't be that confusing.

One would think. At least you can see the difference.

Gentlemen:

There are 27 pages of 665 posts devoted to authentic Brooklyn Dodgers caps right here at BB-F. ( NOTE: the diamond cut-out in the "B" is NOT on the real 1955 nor 1956 Brooklyn caps.)
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by penncentralpete View Post
    Gentlemen:

There are 27 pages of 665 posts devoted to authentic Brooklyn Dodgers caps right here at BB-F. ( NOTE: the diamond cut-out in the "B" is NOT on the real 1955 nor 1956 Brooklyn caps.)
    I know Pete, just venting anew. I didnt want to taint the beautiful ballcap thread with a rant.

I thought this was going to be about bandwagon jumping Sox fans trying to glom on to your hat. Instead, it's about bandwagon jumping Yankee fans who don't understand advanced concepts such as "color scheme."

Our moral: bandwagon jumpers are a nuisance, at best.
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

Im honored to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame with such a great group of men. - Tom Glavine.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Bravos View Post
    I thought this was going to be about bandwagon jumping Sox fans trying to glom on to your hat. Instead, it's about bandwagon jumping Yankee fans who don't understand advanced concepts such as "color scheme."

Our moral: bandwagon jumpers are a nuisance, at best.
    Well said.

Here are some fun compairisons:

Boston Braves...

Braves_1.JPG

Boston Red Sox...

Red_Sox_1.JPGRed_Sox_2.JPG

Brooklyn...

Dodgers_1.JPG
    Last edited by dreifort; 03-23-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Wow, those cards are TERRIBLE! Except the Red Sox ones the Brooklyn and the Braves logo don't look even close to what the real thing looked like. I can't stand those stupid remakes that have nothing to do with the real thing. I really wish Topps cared a little bit more, especially since they have the damn monopoly on the whole baseball card market.

My Baseball Card Project:
    www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
    Wow, those cards are TERRIBLE! Except the Red Sox ones the Brooklyn and the Braves logo don't look even close to what the real thing looked like. I can't stand those stupid remakes that have nothing to do with the real thing. I really wish Topps cared a little bit more, especially since they have the damn monopoly on the whole baseball card market.

My Baseball Card Project:
    www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

Topps is probably limited to what the trademark owners have "declared" as the offical hat logo. For instance, the Brooklyn "hat logo" is more of a LA Dodgers representation than a Topps representation. The current franchise in LA more than likely owns all the variations of the Brooklyn logos representing the Dodgers....so they released the rights to this particular one to Topps.

While it may have at 1 point look like that B (in the 1920s?) it wasn't the predominate B of the Brooklyn Dodgers.
    Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Every time I wear one of my Brooklyn caps, I hear the same thing about, "are you a Red Sox fan?" I now often carry a Red Sox cap in a bag when I wear my Brooklyn cap. Now when I get that question, I pull out the Red Sox cap, shake my head and walk away.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

I sdidn't get a real good look at first, but I do admit first thinking Red Sox when I saw a Brooklyn Dodgers cap on a gentleman in line in front of while waiting for a table a couple of weeks ago in Boca Raton, Florida. My father complimented him on his cap, and, fortunately, correctly.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    I sdidn't get a real good look at first, but I do admit first thinking Red Sox when I saw a Brooklyn Dodgers cap on a gentleman in line in front of while waiting for a table a couple of weeks ago in Boca Raton, Florida. My father complimented him on his cap, and, fortunately, correctly.
    I got this once in an Applebees on Long Island during the 05 playoffs while wearing by Brooklyn cap. "RedSox Su--" by a teenage girl of all people. Needless to say I was happy when the Sox came back to beat the Yankees in the ALCS, even though I couldnt have cared less. I love seeing ignorance humbled!

The thing that amazes me is that I could understand someone confusing one of the New Era blue caps as being a Brooklyn hat before getting a closer look, but vice versa just doesn't even make any sense to me. I guess I'm just showing my age.

On a related note, why do people buy caps that aren't the team's colors? I mean have any of you ever bought a red and black Brooklyn Dodgers' hat? (If such an awful thing exists) Is this something you've ever been, or would ever be, tempted to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by The Commissioner View Post
    The thing that amazes me is that I could understand someone confusing one of the New Era blue caps as being a Brooklyn hat before getting a closer look, but vice versa just doesn't even make any sense to me. I guess I'm just showing my age.

On a related note, why do people buy caps that aren't the team's colors? I mean have any of you ever bought a red and black Brooklyn Dodgers' hat? (If such an awful thing exists) Is this something you've ever been, or would ever be, tempted to buy?
    Me? No. I have only caps in the teams official colors, be it Mets, Brooklyn, or NY Giants. The only non-team color hat I have is a beige soft crown cap with blue Mets "NY", mainly because I wear alot of khaki in the summer. I hate these new caps in other teams colors or worse.

I think there is a bit of social commentary when it comes to that sort of hat. Or at least why they started to become so popular, same reason why black seemed to be the alternate jersey of choice by teams whom never had black involved in their color scheme to begin with.

Well, let me put it this way. I see a bunch of teens wearing Pittsburgh Pirate gear in places like Yonkers and New Rochelle, my first thought is not "My GOD if they aren't Pittsburgh natives, why?" but rather "Hmmm, bunch of Latin Kings gang members."

So, you make these different colored caps and jerseys and whatnot to sell to these inner city gang members so they can represent both their gangs and their favorite sport team.

But that is my on that whole marketing deal. I could be off base, but I just don't see my point being off base when I look at who actually is wearing the gear.

Blog Entries
    Easy mistake to make in my opinion....I don't know why you would say they know nothing of history, when it is so close in design from afar....without getting real close, he could be 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    Easy mistake to make in my opinion....I don't know why you would say they know nothing of history, when it is so close in design from afar....without getting real close, he could be 50/50
    because it illustrates how people are ignorant in more ways than one. It may be fine to mistake a Dodgers cap for a Red Sox hat in Cinncinnati, but in NY it is laughable considering the facts, and circumstances.

Sorry for digging up an old thread here, but I wear my Brooklyn Dodgers hat quite often, and EVERY TIME someone asks me if I'm a Red Sox fan. For the record, I'm a diehard Yankee fan, but more so than that I'm a baseball fan and history buff. While granted, they are similar designs...there is no red in a Dodgers cap, so I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could mistake it for a Boston cap. Just saying...
    "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
    -Vin Scully

Six or seven years ago an associate & I had a meeting in Boston and she wanted to see Fenway Park, so I purchased two tickets. With no alliance to the Red Sox or their opponent, the Royals, I wore my Brooklyn hat. The guy sitting behind us started giving me crap about being a KC fan until I turned around and he said "Oh, you're a Sox fan." Even some of their own fans don't know the difference!

You mean Red Sox hats aren't really pink?

I honor you guys' devotion to getting this stuff right. (As a five-year-old Dodger fan in central Connecticut, I was sold a Red Sox hat and have never gotten over the confusion of identities.)

But you can't have it both ways: If you take just pride in mastering esoterica like the absence of a diamond in the 1956 Dodger cap, you can't really be surprised that even some devoted baseball fans can't (be bothered to) tell one white B on blue cap from another. . . . (although it IS supremely irritating that the ersatz one is now the default version).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast