Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the last time its not a Red Sox hat!

Blog Entries
    Easy mistake to make in my opinion....I don't know why you would say they know nothing of history, when it is so close in design from afar....without getting real close, he could be 50/50

Quote Originally Posted by stejay View Post
    Easy mistake to make in my opinion....I don't know why you would say they know nothing of history, when it is so close in design from afar....without getting real close, he could be 50/50
    because it illustrates how people are ignorant in more ways than one. It may be fine to mistake a Dodgers cap for a Red Sox hat in Cinncinnati, but in NY it is laughable considering the facts, and circumstances.
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Sorry for digging up an old thread here, but I wear my Brooklyn Dodgers hat quite often, and EVERY TIME someone asks me if I'm a Red Sox fan. For the record, I'm a diehard Yankee fan, but more so than that I'm a baseball fan and history buff. While granted, they are similar designs...there is no red in a Dodgers cap, so I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could mistake it for a Boston cap. Just saying...
    "Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support, not illumination."
    -Vin Scully

Six or seven years ago an associate & I had a meeting in Boston and she wanted to see Fenway Park, so I purchased two tickets. With no alliance to the Red Sox or their opponent, the Royals, I wore my Brooklyn hat. The guy sitting behind us started giving me crap about being a KC fan until I turned around and he said "Oh, you're a Sox fan." Even some of their own fans don't know the difference!

Quote Originally Posted by The Commissioner View Post
    The thing that amazes me is that I could understand someone confusing one of the New Era blue caps as being a Brooklyn hat before getting a closer look, but vice versa just doesn't even make any sense to me. I guess I'm just showing my age.

On a related note, why do people buy caps that aren't the team's colors? I mean have any of you ever bought a red and black Brooklyn Dodgers' hat? (If such an awful thing exists) Is this something you've ever been, or would ever be, tempted to buy?
    You mean Red Sox hats aren't really pink?

I honor you guys' devotion to getting this stuff right. (As a five-year-old Dodger fan in central Connecticut, I was sold a Red Sox hat and have never gotten over the confusion of identities.)

But you can't have it both ways: If you take just pride in mastering esoterica like the absence of a diamond in the 1956 Dodger cap, you can't really be surprised that even some devoted baseball fans can't (be bothered to) tell one white B on blue cap from another. . . . (although it IS supremely irritating that the ersatz one is now the default version).

Ha, beat this.

Went to a Phils game with my girlfriend last year. They had Philadelphia Athletics caps there. Royal blue with a white A. I said to my girlfriend "Oh look they have Athletic's caps" as I picked it off the rack. An employee said "It's a Phillies hat." I said "It has the Athletics A on it." She said "All our hats are Philadelphia Phillies hats sir. We don't carry other teams merchandise. Please return it to the rack if you aren't going to buy it." It was said in a very condescending tone too. Really ticked me off.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Ha, beat this.

Went to a Phils game with my girlfriend last year. They had Philadelphia Athletics caps there. Royal blue with a white A. I said to my girlfriend "Oh look they have Athletic's caps" as I picked it off the rack. An employee said "It's a Phillies hat." I said "It has the Athletics A on it." She said "All our hats are Philadelphia Phillies hats sir. We don't carry other teams merchandise. Please return it to the rack if you aren't going to buy it." It was said in a very condescending tone too. Really ticked me off.
    That was an unfortunate experience, bluesky, especially since, as I'm sure you know, the only other name the Phillies' franchise ever went by was Quakers. Imo, that employee should be fired, not only for his/her attitude, but also for not having even the simplest knowledge about the franchise. Granted, there have been four different Athletics franchises in Philadelphia, but none were related to the current franchise, whose first season was 1883. And the Phillies have spent every season in the National League. Just for the record, aside from the current Oakland franchise, there was a Philadelphia Athletics in the National Association and National League, 1871-1876, one in the American Association, 1882-1890, and one in the Players League and American Association, 1890-1891.

Anyway, as for the topic, I've lost count of how many times people see me in my Brooklyn cap -- which is undeniably and unmistakenly a Brooklyn Dodgers cap -- and ask if I'm a Red Sox fan. Living in the NYC area, it's always been easy for me to just say, "It's Brooklyn, not Boston," and the people are appeased. ...as if I need to defend something. My second-favorite current team is indeed the Red Sox, and I do have a modern Boston cap, but I seldom wear it. On the other hand, I wear my Brooklyn cap way more than any of the caps I own of three other teams. In fact, I have two more unworn Brooklyn caps as backup.

Heh, I must admit, I tend to cringe when someone can't tell the difference between blue and white, and red and black. After all, it's a white B and blue cap for goodness sake!

/end semi-rant
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    I think it just goes to show how confusing the current trend of marketing off-color-designed team garb can be. I mean, if one can buy a green Yankees cap with a purple logo, the color-design marketing has gone too far. Jmho.
    "And their chances of getting back into this ballgame are growing dimmer by the batter."

Put it in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    Ha, beat this.

I would have requested to speak to the manager IMMEDIATELY.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Quote Originally Posted by milladrive View Post
    Heh, I must admit, I tend to cringe when someone can't tell the difference between blue and white, and red and black. After all, it's a white B and blue cap for goodness sake!
    There are blue and white Red Sox caps too. They're not quite the same, but enough to make it confusing to the average baseball fan.

That was an unfortunate experience, bluesky, especially since, as I'm sure you know, the only other name the Phillies' franchise ever went by was Quakers.
    They were "renamed" the Blue Jays at one point in the 1940's. '44-'45 I think? They had a Blue Jay on the sleeve. But "Phillies" remained on the front of the jersey.

I actually have a Brooklyn Dodgers cap. I never wear it. I got it in high school just to say I had one.
    "I go all out. And I'm going to bring that to the table every day, in good times and bad times." - Eric Byrnes

"...far too many people want to retroactively apply today's standards to yesterday's players, as if they played the game under the same assumptions and just heedlessly and obdurately plowed on in their own groove." - Los Bravos

Quote Originally Posted by ipitch View Post
    There are blue and white Red Sox caps too. They're not quite the same, but enough to make it confusing to the average baseball fan.
    The Red Sox wore a green hat with a green jersey after Red Auerbach died.

I hardly ever wear my Brooks cap anymore. Sick of people thinking its a sawx cap, and dont really care to correct their ingnorance. I wear my Brooks jerseys instead...and then they think I'm a LA fan...sigh
    unknown brooklyn cabbie " how are the brooks doin"
    unknown fan "good they got three men on base"
    unknown brooklyn cabbie "which one?"

Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    I hardly ever wear my Brooks cap anymore. Sick of people thinking its a sawx cap, and dont really care to correct their ingnorance. I wear my Brooks jerseys instead...and then they think I'm a LA fan...sigh
    I saw someone wearing a blue Brooklyn Dodgers cap on the train home to Brooklyn on Sunday afternoon.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

green Yankees cap with a purple logo
    Behold!

http://www.stylefile.com/new-era-mlb...fid-34253.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

161st St & River Ave (by way of Northern NJ)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    Even if it reads "Brooklyn" on the front?

http://www.customthrowbackjerseys.co...Fcyf4AodSj8AxQ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mattingly; 01-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12