MLB players of eastern european descent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

MLB players of eastern european descent?

Have there been MLB players of eastern european descent(not only direct from there also guys from the early immigration waves in the US in the 19th century)?
    For example many great players are of german descent(wagner, gehrig, ruth, mauer, greinke...) or italian names(di maggio, piazza...) but I can't recall any eastern european names. Of course there are less eastern european immigrants, but there was still a fair share of e. european immigrants. So are there any players of eastern european descent?(think about names that end with ...ov, ...ik or ...ski)
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.
  • Paul Wendt
    • Nov 2007

Some Germans and some Jews immigrated to the United States from eastern Europe. I suppose that the question means to skip them and also to skip Greeks and Turks and Armenians and Finns and Estonians, leaving Slavic peoples and their neighbors between the Baltic, Adriatic, and Caspian Seas (Slavs, Balts, Magyar Hungarians, Romanians & Moldavans, Albanians, Georgians, Armenians --but Armenians emigrated to America mainly from Turkey and further South).

There have been "many" players of such eastern European descent in the major leagues, although many fewer than German-Americans.

Some fairly well known
    Elmer Valo
    Lou Novikoff
    Harry and Stan Coveleski (born Kowalewski)
    Stan Musial (born Stanisław Franciszek and called Stashu by his Polish immigrant father Lukasz --wikipedia)
    Whitey Kurowski

There were other teammates of Musial and Kurowski on the 1946 St. Louis Cardinals (at bb-ref).

Steve Bedrosian is Armenian-American.

For birthplaces see MLB players by place of birth at baseball-reference. It would be interesting to know which of the foreign-born players during are the sons of US diplomats, military personnel, and civilian employees of the armed forces --the children of the empire.
    Last edited by Paul Wendt; 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Paul Wendt
      • Nov 2007

Baseball is not played much by natives of eastern Europe and there are not many US military bases there.

In contrast basketball is a national sport at least in Lithuania and former Yugoslavia, and the NBA is "full of" players born in eastern Europe.

Basketball-reference lists four players born in Georgia.
      Those listings by birthplace also show about forty in ex-Yugoslavia, eight in Lithuania, two in Latvia, six in Russia.
      Last edited by Paul Wendt; 03-18-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Dalkowski110
        White Lightning!
        • Sep 2006

Steve Dalkowski was/is second generation Polish. His father had been born in Poland, I know, and I'm fairly sure his mother was, as well.
        "They put me in the Hall of Fame? They must really be scraping the bottom of the barrel!"
        -Eppa Rixey, upon learning of his induction to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Motafy (MO-ta-fy) vt. -fied, -fying 1. For a pitcher to melt down in a big game situation; to become like Guillermo Mota. 2. The transformation of a good pitcher into one of Guillermo Mota's caliber.

Comment

• dominik
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Paul Wendt View Post
          Baseball is not played much by natives of eastern Europe and there are not many US military bases there.

In contrast basketball is a national sport at least in Lithuania and former Yugoslavia, and the NBA is "full of" players born in eastern Europe.

Basketball-reference lists four players born in Georgia.
          Those listings by birthplace also show about forty in ex-Yugoslavia, eight in Lithuania, two in Latvia, six in Russia.
          of course but I was also talking about eastern europeans ho immigrated several generations ago. those should have adopted the american lifestyle, shouldn't they?
          I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• DaClyde
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dalkowski110 View Post
            Steve Dalkowski was/is second generation Polish. His father had been born in Poland, I know, and I'm fairly sure his mother was, as well.
            What happened to all the Polish players in baseball? It seems in the 1950s-1960s, the sport was littered with them, but you don't really see many Polish names in baseball anymore.
            Clyde's Stale Cards - A blog about the international world of baseball cards.

Comment

• Rally Monkey
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by DaClyde View Post
              What happened to all the Polish players in baseball? It seems in the 1950s-1960s, the sport was littered with them, but you don't really see many Polish names in baseball anymore.
              In some people's minds, one is enough. I love the White Sox, though, so I wish there were more.

Comment

• beisbolfiebre
                Old School Baseball Fan
                • Aug 2008

A couple of LA Dodgers come to mind:

Dick Tracewski & Ron Perronowski

Comment

• westsidegrounds
                  • Sep 2003

Eddie Waitkus

Ray Narleski

Rip Repulski

Andy Pafko

Andy Seminick

Joe Vosmik

Greg Luzinski

and Ted Kluszewski! Who could forget Big Klu!

there do seem to be fewer right now, for some reason.
                  Last edited by westsidegrounds; 05-28-2010, 03:27 PM. Reason: remembered another guy. And another! I'm gonna stop now.

Comment

• Honus Wagner Rules
                    xFIP?! I laugh at you!
                    • Nov 2004

Excuse me? Al" The Mad Hungarian" Hraboski anyone?
                    Attached Files
                    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Comment

• westsidegrounds
                      • Sep 2003

Cass Michaels

Comment

• ian2813
                        야구
                        • Dec 2009

Al Simmons was Polish. His birth name was Aloys Szymanski.
                        Baseball Junk Drawer

Comment

• BigRon
                          • Jan 2009

Jack Quinn- born Johannes Pajkos- was a fine pitcher who won 247 ML games. He was born in the Hungarian section of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Comment

• EmergencyCatcher
                            'Graphing Guru
                            • May 2010

Johnny Pesky, perhaps? If I remember correctly his name was originally something like Peskowicz, or Peskovich or something of the sort.
                            "Joba Chamberlain has a career ERA of one point seven bazillion against Cleveland. Most sentient bipeds either overtly or secretly revel in this fact." - Steve Buffum, The B-List, 6/1/2010

Good traders: bravesautographs, kearns643

Check out my autograph blog!

Comment

• jerseygary
                              • Sep 2009

Frankie Zak, 1944-46 Pirates and 1944 All-Star was 2nd generation Polish decent. As a side note, the town of Kutno in the center of Poland has Stan Musial Stadium and is home to European Little League. I've been there and it is a huge complex that hosts the championships every year.

Other players of Eastern European decent:
                              Joe Medwick (Hungarian)
                              Johnny Podres (Polish)
                              Pete Appleton (Polish and played the first few seasons as Peter Jablonowski)
                              See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X