Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle school bat size

Middle school bat size

Trying to find the drop size for middle school bat regulations with no luck. Is it common for a 6th grader to have to swing a -3 bat? Are there different rules for 6th & 7/8th or are they normally the same size bats,,Thanks for any info

A -3 is far too heavy for an average size 6th grader. I used a -9 in the 6th grade, if he is a bit stronger than most kids his size I would recommend a -5 at the best.
    People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. -Rogers Hornsby

Blog Entries
    most MS follow HS rules .... -3!!
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

That's what i was shocked to be hearing, I did some research & it looks like all 2 5/8 bats need to be -3 but if you swing 2 1/4 & less than 30" it can be less than -3, though I do agree that is way to heavy for most 6th graders

Quote Originally Posted by benz99 View Post
    Trying to find the drop size for middle school bat regulations with no luck. Is it common for a 6th grader to have to swing a -3 bat? Are there different rules for 6th & 7/8th or are they normally the same size bats,,Thanks for any info
    I prefer -9 or -7 for 5th/6th and -5 for 7th/8th.

That eases them into -3 and HS.

I would agree 100%, just sounds like all the rules around here are saying -3 for middle school, Don't know if there is a 6th grade team & a 7th/8th grade team & different rules but no way can my 60lb kid swing a -3 in 1 years time. Found this on il jr hs web site

I believe the By-Laws listed here under the Administration menu above are up to date as of August 8th and state the following under ARTICLE XXV: BASEBALL PLAYING REGULATIONS
    Section 1. Paragraph e.

e. BASEBALL BATS: NO 2 3/4 barrels....unless they are wood. All bats over 30 inches MUST meet the -3 drop rule. All bats with a 2 5/8 inch barrel must also meet the -3 drop rule. Bats 30 inches or less in length, AND WITH A 2 1/4 INCH BARREL, do not have to meet the -3 rule. Wooden bats that meet IHSA/Federation standards are also legal.

In my area, middle school baseball teams can use any bat they want. In other parts of this state, MS is required to use minus-3 bats.
    Skip

My son is trying out for the middle school team for the first time this week as a 7th grader (6th grade is not eligible). The coach has not told them any bat specifications at this point, however, we have been told by kids on the team last year that they were able to use -8/-9 bats. For his first season on the 60/90 field we bought a used -9 stealth in the fall that we plan to replace with a -5 this spring. If we find out requirements are different he would move to a -3 if he made the team (a long shot).

We were told yesterday at 13 y/o Babe Ruth evaluations that -3 is required for MS ball and even if he doesn't make the team they encourage them to swing the heaviest bat they are capable of (just like all of you here ). So... instead of a -5 we are headed to Sports Authority to check out the -3 bats today, hopefully we can find one that is not end weighted. Any suggestions on some well balanced -3 bats? Reading online it seems like the Easton V12 and the LS TPX Omaha alloy would be well balance; and maybe the Demarini Dmax but I haven't seen much on that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LAS64 View Post
    We were told yesterday at 13 y/o Babe Ruth evaluations that -3 is required for MS ball and even if he doesn't make the team they encourage them to swing the heaviest bat they are capable of (just like all of you here ). So... instead of a -5 we are headed to Sports Authority to check out the -3 bats today, hopefully we can find one that is not end weighted. Any suggestions on some well balanced -3 bats? Reading online it seems like the Easton V12 and the LS TPX Omaha alloy would be well balance; and maybe the Demarini Dmax but I haven't seen much on that.
    Don't buy one off the rack. Have him swing bats until he find one that is comforatable. Narrow it down to three and try them. Large stores like Sports Authority have a golf nets, ask if you can use it and soft toss a few.

Thanks for the tip on the golf testing area; we asked about that and they let him swing them. He ended up getting a 2009 Stealth on clearance for $150 + we had a $25 off coupon... ended up being 1/2 the price of justbats.com! The grip had a slight imperfection from hanging on their racks which is why we got it for so much less; it's actually fully intact and fine now, if we run into any problems it's easy enough to change.

That's probably a good choice, as those tend to be pretty evenly weighted. Even bigger kids tend to borrow the Stealths of teammates when they're up against speedballers and want to be able to get around a bit faster. I've seen a zillion kids use that bat and -- nothin' fancy but just keeping the hands in and turning into the ball -- driving the ball into the alleys even if they're not hit in the absolute sweet spot. And, wow, that's a great price. Good luck to him.

That's what i was shocked to be hearing, I did some research & it looks like all 2 5/8 bats need to be -3 but if you swing 2 1/4 & less than 30" it can be less than -3, though I do agree that is way to heavy for most 6th graders
    When people consider the weight of the bat being too heavy for this age bracket, it seems as though they completely forget that the chances are, they’ll be facing pitchers who can’t exactly throw a strawberry through the side of a battleship!

Yes, if a 6th grader is facing a Jr or a Sr, its likely he’s not going to be able to get that bat on the ball very well. But then again, he prolly wouldn’t be able to get a drop 12 on it either. Sure there’s gonna be few freaks who move to the 60/90 and can throw the ball 75 and get it near the plate, but it certainly isn’t going to be most of the pitchers at that level.

Quit worrying about it and let him grow into the bat, which he will most certainly do. He’ll be a bit sloppy for a while, but its not the end of the world.
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

I think you have to look at the size of the kid. From 6th-8th grade there is a large variation in maturity. I have a 160 lb 8th grader that can swing the -3 no problem. But his 6th grade brother is barely 75 lbs and needs to stay with the -9.5 he's using now for a while!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bballdad175 View Post
    I think you have to look at the size of the kid. From 6th-8th grade there is a large variation in maturity. I have a 160 lb 8th grader that can swing the -3 no problem. But his 6th grade brother is barely 75 lbs and needs to stay with the -9.5 he's using now for a while!!!
    I don’t know for sure, but as far as I know, if the school is playing by NFHS baseball rules. it doesn’t matter how big or strong he is. If he bats, he’ll be using a drop 3. But also, as far as I know, 6th graders don’t play by HS rules.
    The pitcher who’s afraid to throw strikes, will soon be standing in the shower with the hitter who's afraid to swing.

I wish my kid was 75 lbs he just now hit 65 lbs but he has a a couple months to go. A dad with a kid on the B team mostly 6th graders said they really don't enforce the -3 till 7-8th grade

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
    That's probably a good choice, as those tend to be pretty evenly weighted. Even bigger kids tend to borrow the Stealths of teammates when they're up against speedballers and want to be able to get around a bit faster. I've seen a zillion kids use that bat and -- nothin' fancy but just keeping the hands in and turning into the ball -- driving the ball into the alleys even if they're not hit in the absolute sweet spot. And, wow, that's a great price. Good luck to him.
    He's always loved the Stealths (this is his 3rd), being tall and thin (5'9, approx 112lbs), a balanced bat works well for him. Once he swung it there was no way he was leaving the store without it at that price!

-3 here in Raleigh. My sixth grader (11 going on 12) made his school team, this year. He is the smallest kid on the team at 4'11" and weighing 93 lbs.. He is struggling to swing that -3. And now it has screwed up his travel ball -9 swing. He lost a little confidence due to a lack of success in school ball, and he is out in front of everything now. I was happy for him to make the school team from a peers perspective. But everything else says if he didn't it, would not have been a loss in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Football Ref View Post
    -3 here in Raleigh. My sixth grader (11 going on 12) made his school team, this year. He is the smallest kid on the team at 4'11" and weighing 93 lbs.. He is struggling to swing that -3. And now it has screwed up his travel ball -9 swing. He lost a little confidence due to a lack of success in school ball, and he is out in front of everything now. I was happy for him to make the school team from a peers perspective. But everything else says if he didn't it, would not have been a loss in any way.
    Just so I can understand, is he playing on a 60/90 with the drop 3? If he is, there are only 2 ways I can see him not being able to swing the bat well enough to have some success. 1 is that you got him a bat that’s much too long and he refuses to choke up, and the other is that he’s playing with kids far older than the 11/12 bracket.

If neither of those things is true, either his swing wasn’t very good to start with, or his expectations are way too high and he doesn’t know how to deal with failure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post
    I don’t know for sure, but as far as I know, if the school is playing by NFHS baseball rules. it doesn’t matter how big or strong he is. If he bats, he’ll be using a drop 3. But also, as far as I know, 6th graders don’t play by HS rules.
    Most MS's play HS rules and some MS's allow 6th grade as this is considered middle school.

There is a golf shop at sports Authority and you can check the swing weight of the bat in the golf section.

Quote Originally Posted by scorekeeper View Post
    Just so I can understand, is he playing on a 60/90 with the drop 3? If he is, there are only 2 ways I can see him not being able to swing the bat well enough to have some success. 1 is that you got him a bat that’s much too long and he refuses to choke up, and the other is that he’s playing with kids far older than the 11/12 bracket.

If neither of those things is true, either his swing wasn’t very good to start with, or his expectations are way too high and he doesn’t know how to deal with failure.
    He is on a 60-90 field like all middle schools. He performed very well in travel ball the last 3 years and his expectations were high. He has a great travel ball opposite field swing and the reality is most of the pitching you see in middle schools around here comes in slower then travel and he is having trouble adjusting. He is disappointed about his lack of playing time and his output, but I wouldn't say he can't deal with failure. It is a just a matter of learning to adjust to a different level of ball at a young age.

I got him a Typhoon 30-27 to practice with in the back yard. The school team has a 29-26 that he uses in the games, but he pretty much rides the bench now. He had his 5-6 at bats to show something and although he never struck out, he didn't really get a good piece of one either. He just plays center now in the late innings, or pitches when it's a blow out.

Of the 16 boys on the team, he is one of two 11 year olds. The other 14 are all older with 2 of them being 15 already. Held back a year and early birthdays. And even with that, he was given a shot because they could see his mechanics were good.

The point of my post was to let the other parent know the kid can have good skills and not neccessarily do well with that bat the first year.
    Last edited by The Football Ref; 04-09-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Football Ref View Post
    He is on a 60-90 field like all middle schools. He performed very well in travel ball the last 3 years and his expectations were high. He has a great travel ball opposite field swing and the reality is most of the pitching you see in middle schools around here comes in slower then travel and he is having trouble adjusting. He is disappointed about his lack of playing time and his output, but I wouldn't say he can't deal with failure. It is a just a matter of learning to adjust to a different level of ball at a young age.

I got him a Typhoon 30-27 to practice with in the back yard. The school team has a 29-26 that he uses in the games, but he pretty much rides the bench now. He had his 5-6 at bats to show something and although he never struck out, he didn't really get a good piece of one either. He just plays center now in the late innings, or pitches when it's a blow out.

Of the 16 boys on the team, he is one of two 11 year olds. The other 14 are all older with 2 of them being 15 already. Held back a year and early birthdays. And even with that, he was given a shot because they could see his mechanics were good.

The point of my post was to let the other parent know the kid can have good skills and not neccessarily do well with that bat the first year.
    So all middle schools play 60/90 even 6th grade?? WOW that is like 4 months away for my little guy. maybe he shoulda played bronco this year which is 54/70 to help bridge the gap

So all middle schools play 60/90 even 6th grade?? WOW that is like 4 months away for my little guy. maybe he shoulda played bronco this year which is 54/70 to help bridge the gap
    I thought that Bronco was 48/70.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I thought that Bronco was 48/70.
    Yea your rite i was thinking 54/80 pony but even so were pitching 44-46 now & in 4 months or so it will be 60/90. I was thinking it would be 60/90 in HS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast