Thread: New project looking for participants

New project looking for participants

seeing if there is interest (from my similar thread)

particpants will get 1 or more teams

teams will be drafted first after random draw

teams will be those available from my SOM computer inventory

after drafting teams, each team will be allowed 1 draft pick

the draft picks will be in reverse order of team picks

certain restriction will apply (from experience)

1. player drafted must be from season I have on computer
    2. no dead ball era pitchers allowed
    3> only 1 player / year can be selected, for example if someone drafts 1965 Willie Mays, no other Mays card can be drafted
    4) we can play a full season simulation or a tournament all games auto run on computer
    5) Babe Ruth may or may not be designated ineligible
    6) more rules can be determined

-------------------------

it may be prudent to only have live ball era players / teams (sorry Ty Cobb fans)

maybe teams players from 1920-2009 as long as it is from a season I have on computer

also it is a good idea to limit # of teams one single franchise can have - somewhere between 2 and 4 depending on how many teams are finally included if this takes off at all

ideal would be 32 teams and no more than 4 from one franchise

broken into 4 - eight team groups for either a full season or a tourney (or other options - one is each team in a 8 team group plays the other in a best of 7 series and then series records and total w-l record determine the winner of that group)

then the 4 winners advancing in a plyoff format
    Last edited by 9RoyHobbsRF; 04-09-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

interested people affirm here

up to 32 teams, minimum of 8 people to particpate, maximum of 32
    1. The more I learn, the more convinced I am that many players are over-rated due to inflated stats from offensive home parks (and eras)
    2. Strat-O-Matic Baseball Player, Collector and Hobbyist since 1969, visit my strat site: http://somgamersparadiseforum.smfforfree4.com/index.php

this may have to be moved to the fantasy gaming section

these are seasons I have on computer:

1903, 1904, 1908

1912, 1914, 1916, 1917

1921, 1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1928, 1929

1931, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1939

1940, 1942-49

1950-1989

1993, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009

I also have these teams in oldtimer format on computer (no LR splits):
    1905 Giants, 1906 Cubs, 1909 Tigers, 1909 Pirates, 1911 A's, 1919 White Sox, 1920 Indians, 1927 Yankees, 1927 Pirates, 1933 Giants, 1934 cards, 1934 Tigers, 1935 Cubs, 1941 Dodgers, 1941 Yankees

I also have these season in cards only (no computer): 1911, 1920, 1927, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1900, 1991, 1992, 194-2000, 2003-2006

Well, since I'm the guy who brought it up, I'm certainly interested. I've never played SOM before though, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance of certain things.

Some questions I have:

You mentioned the "only one player / year" rule, and used 1965 Willie Mays as an example. What about player/team? Like, if someone had the 1954 Giants, would that make 1965 Mays ineligible for the draft?

How would we go about drafting teams and players? Would we do it here on the message board?

Would there be a limit on the number of times each franchise can be used? Obviously, if we had 32 teams, some franchises would have to be used more than once, but it'd be kind of boring if we had seven Yankee teams or something.

I f someone took the 1954 Giants (I actually dont have that year) one other Mays card could be drafted

everything about drafting etc would be done here on the forum

a lot of trust woul dhave to be involved as I would draw cards etc for draft picks and autoplay theganmes,

knowledge of SOM is not necessary, just a way to produce results

the main contribution for each particpant would be drafting a team and then the player and perhaps set lineups and rotations

my goal would be to have 32 teams with no more than 4 teams per franchise (or 3 or even 2)

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    Well, since I'm the guy who brought it up, I'm certainly interested. I've never played SOM before though, so you'll have to pardon my ignorance of certain things.

Some questions I have:

You mentioned the "only one player / year" rule, and used 1965 Willie Mays as an example. What about player/team? Like, if someone had the 1954 Giants, would that make 1965 Mays ineligible for the draft?

How would we go about drafting teams and players? Would we do it here on the message board?

Would there be a limit on the number of times each franchise can be used? Obviously, if we had 32 teams, some franchises would have to be used more than once, but it'd be kind of boring if we had seven Yankee teams or something.

You don't have 1954? Up above you said you have 1950-89 on your computer.

I'm assuming if someone took the 1965 Giants that 1965 Mays couldn't be drafted, right?

If we limit the number of times a franchise can be used, could we also make a rule that multiple uses of a franchise have to have a certain gap between them? Say, 5-10 years? That way we'd have more variety among the participating rosters.

Anyway, it sounds like fun, so you can count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    I f someone took the 1954 Giants (I actually dont have that year) one other Mays card could be drafted

everything about drafting etc would be done here on the forum

a lot of trust woul dhave to be involved as I would draw cards etc for draft picks and autoplay theganmes,

knowledge of SOM is not necessary, just a way to produce results

the main contribution for each particpant would be drafting a team and then the player and perhaps set lineups and rotations

my goal would be to have 32 teams with no more than 4 teams per franchise (or 3 or even 2)
    Last edited by ian2813; 04-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.

my mistake

I have 1954 in the "cadillac" version

most seasons prior to 1960 are "chevy" seasons

except the recreated (researched every box score) seaons and I had those in cards and to buy them is about 3x the cost of a chevy season

Sounds good to me, if it stays simple.

very simple

draft a team, draft a player set to autoplay

Quote Originally Posted by ItsOnlyGil View Post
    Sounds good to me, if it stays simple.

What does it cost?

nothing ...

Quote Originally Posted by ItsOnlyGil View Post
    What does it cost?

Three people! Anyone else wanna join in?

3 is not quite enuf yet

I thought I'd bump this in case anyone missed it.

What the heck. It sounds like fun. Count me in.

Awesome! Anyone else?