X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MLBaseballFanatic
    • Jul 2008

Trip to Kauffman Stadium. Help!

I'll be coming to visit family in KC before the start of my big annual road trip and our first game will be at the renovated Kauffman Stadium. I've been before WAY back in 2000 so it's been a while and I'm looking forward to the renovations. What I need to know is what must I do at the ballpark! What must I see! I plan on going to BP and after exploring the ballpark. What is there to eat in KC (I've heard about the BBQ but where is the best in your opinion?) Please tell all about Kauffman and what I should do before during and after the game! Thanks!
  • KCGHOST
    • Dec 2003

You want to get to the stadium as soon as the gates open so have you have time to walk a full 360 degrees around the field. Before entering go over to Gate D to see the large George Brett statue. The main Gate (B) also has a statue of the Kauffmans which may interest you. You want to be inside the stadium in time to walk the full 360 degrees around the field. Be sure to stop into the Royals HoF exhibit. Behind the main scoreboard are statues of Brett, White and Howser.

If you have to have a hot dog and such at the stadium, try to go to one of the carts that setup just outside the stadium (but inside the ticket gates).

Ideally if you have the whole day at you disposal yo should go to Bryants BBQ at 18th & Brooklyn for lunch. Its not the best BBQ in town but it is an iconic place. The go a few block s east on 18th Street to the Negro League Baseball Museum (www.nlbm.com). You won't regret that.

You might also see if you can schedule a meal at Chappell's Restaurant (www.chappellsrestaurant.com). There is a ton of memorabila at that place.

Are you bringing family or doing this on your own??
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• Danielh41
      • Apr 2007

We went to Kauffman in 2006, so I anxious to see the renovations as well. Do they still have the '85 World Series trophy on display?
      Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

• letsgoroyals
        • Jan 2008

the guy above is spot on with going to Arthur Bryants and Chappells. if you would rather have the best bbq in town then i say go to oklahoma joes at 47th and mission. you'll have to look it up, but the site of the old old stadium where the kansas city a's and monarchs played is near arthur bryant's and last time i went by there was still a sign marking the spot. it is otherwise a vacant lot. of course they may have built something on it by now. in regards to the ws trophy, it's inside the hall of fame.

Comment

• KCGHOST
          • Dec 2003

The old stadium was at 22nd and Brooklyn. I believe Bryant's is at 18th and Brooklyn.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

• disgrig
            Ese Hombre
            • May 2007

before you make a trip to the site of the old stadium (Municipal Stadium) read this blog:

Comment

• cgcoyne2
              Jonathan E's number 1 fan
              • Mar 2008

I just went on a tour of Kauffman Stafium on Monday, May 3rd, 2010. I liked it. I was never there before. I was on a trip to Oklahoma from NJ and drove through KC. The night before we stopped in Indpendence to get a room and drove over to the Negro League Museum and Gem Theater. Both were closed, but we went by anyway because the Museum is closed on Mondays. We went to Arthur Bryant's but they were closing so we had to go to Gates. Either way the food was excellent. everybody we asked gave a different opinion. Half liked Gates and half like Arthur Bryants. The difference we were told seems to be wether you want more greasy or less greasy. Which one was more, I don't remember what was said.
              Attached Files
              Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• gman5431
                GMan5431
                • Oct 2007

I went to a game in 2008 and would love to go back now that the renovations are complete. One thing i have to say is Arthur Bryants is a tad over rated. Just didnt do it for me and definately didnt live up to the hype. Every other BBQ place we went to was better and Oklahoma Joes really stood out. The Negro League Baseball Museum was worth every penny though, just had an awesome time there. I heard they were having financial trouble and i hope MLB will or did step in to help.

G Man

Comment

• Mr. Laser Beam
                  • Sep 2010

When did they add the statue of the Kauffmans? I was at the K in June of '09 and it wasn't there.
                  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                    Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                    • Apr 2004

I didn't want to add another thread so I figured I would add this...

I am also hoping to get good seats for the Royals-Cubs games (June 24th-26th). KC is only about 4 hours from here (Fayetteville, AR) and my bday is June 27th so I'm hoping that my parents would either pay my hotel or tickets for that weekend or just pinch in some money for that weekend. I'm hoping to see 2 of those Cubs games, if possible, along with maybe 2-3 more games (Rangers/Twins/Rays/Yankees/Red Sox are my top 5 other teams with Angels/Cardinals (just to see Pujols and hopefully Theriot go either 0-4 with 3 errors or go 4-4, all singles and get picked off every time)/White Sox behind those 5...

Does anybody know where to sit in the Kaufmann Stadium? Any recommendation on the stadium and the surrounding area? Like what to see and where to eat and etc...??? It'll be my first time in the KC area. Even if I only get to see 1 game of the Cubs/Royals series, I'm hoping to stay in KC for that whole weekend. I saw above about Bryant's/Joe's/Negro League Museum (it's still open hopefully??? cuz my great-grandpa used to talk about them a lot- died in 2001 at age 107 so he got to see everyone from Cy Young to Albert Pujols), but what else is there? What hotel should I look for? Where are the bars scenes (I'll be 27 this year)? Thanks...
                    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                    Bo Jackson

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                      Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                      • Apr 2004

Also Arvest Ballpark is only like 10 minutes away from here... Anybody been there yet? Any recommendation on that stadium? I'm looking forward to seeing the Naturals play this year. I know Royals got the best farm system in MLB, but who will be playing at AA this year? Is there any other prospects in the Texas League to watch out for? I'm not that familar with others teams prospects beside the Cubs right now, but I'm starting to look at Royals as my AL team to root for (ugh... 2 teams who hasn't had the greatest luck- maybe I like being miserable or something) so I'll need to know the prospects quickly here so I can watch out for them.
                      Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                      Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                      Bo Jackson

Comment

• The Splendid Splinter
                        Sweet Action Bo Jackson
                        • Apr 2004

Yeah Royals had their single game tickets open this morning at 10 am Central.

I got a single tix to the Cubs/Royals game (by the time I got in after about 45 minutes, the only 2 tixs side by side I could get either the really expensive ones or way the all back on the upper level)... The Sunday June 26th game... Section 102 Row D...

Then I got 2 tixs in Section 250 Row EE for the Royals/Red Sox (I waited maybe 15 minutes to get in for this game) game on August 19th...

How are my seats (considering I've never been to Kauffmann)??? I really wanted to sit in the OF this year (as the last time I've done that was like '98 at Wrigley)...
                        Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Bo Jackson

Comment

• Jimmy G
                          • Mar 2011

My wife and I will be going to Kauffman for the first time on April 16. Does the above info/guidance still stand? Will we have to get tickets beforehand? Are there any other suggestions for a first time KC visitor? What about the WWI museum? Where's the best place to sit for a first time visitor?

Thanks!
                          My baseball related life: http://93percenttrue.wordpress.com/2...e-with-a-baby/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X