Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 season thread

2010 season thread

No Rays fans here?

Pretty good start of the season so far. do you think they can compete for the wild card this season?

I'm still here, lurking. I got tired of posting replies to myself, or starting threads that no other Rays fans chime in on. But it seems like most teams' boards on this website are getting less and less activity...

The Rays definitely can compete, as we have all seen so far this year. The Orioles are the Orioles, and maybe the Red Sox are just off to a bad start, but the Rays have been in most every game, except 2 of the 3 games with the Yankees. Garza has been pitching like a Cy Young candidate, and the other starters are doing better than expected. Upton seems finally healthy and is having a great start to his season. Pena, Zobrist, Crawford...all are doing well. Even Burrell has gotten hot in the last 4 games. The biggest question mark is still the 7th and 8th inning bullpen guys. JP Howell is out until mid-late May, and Randy Choate is the only lefty out there and has been horrible.

Rays management has gone all in this year. The team will be broken up in 2011, with probably Crawford, Pena and Soriano all gone. Should be an interesting summer...

In 2008 the pitching was superb and the offense so-so. last year, it was the other way around. If they keep both sides going this year...look out!
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

The Rays seems really focused this year. They have the look and talent of a 100-win team. They will push the Yankees all season long IMO.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

http://sfgiants-forum.com/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    I'm still here, lurking. I got tired of posting replies to myself, or starting threads that no other Rays fans chime in on. But it seems like most teams' boards on this website are getting less and less activity...

The Rays definitely can compete, as we have all seen so far this year. The Orioles are the Orioles, and maybe the Red Sox are just off to a bad start, but the Rays have been in most every game, except 2 of the 3 games with the Yankees. Garza has been pitching like a Cy Young candidate, and the other starters are doing better than expected. Upton seems finally healthy and is having a great start to his season. Pena, Zobrist, Crawford...all are doing well. Even Burrell has gotten hot in the last 4 games. The biggest question mark is still the 7th and 8th inning bullpen guys. JP Howell is out until mid-late May, and Randy Choate is the only lefty out there and has been horrible.

Rays management has gone all in this year. The team will be broken up in 2011, with probably Crawford, Pena and Soriano all gone. Should be an interesting summer...
    Don't they have Crawford's replacement in Desmond Jennings waiting in the wings?
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Don't they have Crawford's replacement in Desmond Jennings waiting in the wings?
    Yes, he is the heir apparent. But there are no 1B replacements waiting at Durham, unless they think Hank Blalock should be re-signed and groomed to take over the position. The closer fell into our laps this year when the Braves signed Wagner, and would be primed for a big payday elsewhere with a good 2010. We do have good depth at SP if they decide to trade a prospect for a major league ready 1B.

Loved the game last night. Went into Yankee Stadium and handed it to the Yanks from beginning to end. Hit and most especially ran at will. Davis was sharp. Let's hope they pull the sweep tonite and move to 5 up.

G Rizzle

3 outs to go...but Randy Choate on the hill...gulp. This team is scary good and just look like they are having a lot of fun out there too...

So how are Rays fans taking this hot 30-11 start? This is the Rays 2010 season thread and this is just the 8th post? What's up with that?

The crowds will increase as the season goes along. Don't judge the Rays fans enthusiasm by this forum. There are plenty of Rays message boards and blogs that have plenty of participation.

definitely a nice team. I really like them and support them. I still think they won't quite keep this pace and the yanks will catch them somewhere, but I really hope they make the postseason.

You could also say that they have done this without much significant contributions from Shoppach/Navarro, Pena is below the Mendoza line, Zobrist/Bartlett 1 HR apiece, Upton batting in the .230's, JP Howell out for the year...Yeah our SPs are pitching outstanding and will be coming back to norms over the course of the year, and the bullpen has been well rested as a result, but then maybe those offensive guys start to heat up and offset that. The Rays learned a lot last year about not handling success and are better for it and will be in this all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by raysnbran View Post
    You could also say that they have done this without much significant contributions from Shoppach/Navarro, Pena is below the Mendoza line, Zobrist/Bartlett 1 HR apiece, Upton batting in the .230's, JP Howell out for the year...Yeah our SPs are pitching outstanding and will be coming back to norms over the course of the year, and the bullpen has been well rested as a result, but then maybe those offensive guys start to heat up and offset that. The Rays learned a lot last year about not handling success and are better for it and will be in this all season long.
    that's right. the batting is doing like expected if anything there is even room for improvement.

But a 154 era+ avg. for all starters is unreal of course. this is the entire starting rotation pitching on hof level.

The Rays are currently at 32-12. If they cool off and play .600 ball the rest of the way they end up with 103 wins.

Still waiting for the bats to wake up on this team...

team has slowed down a little. NY is tied with them and boston only for games behind. boston seems to be really heated up.
    I hope the make the POs but I'm very sceptical. NY was the favorite anyway but boston also seems to have a higher upside than TB who seemed to play over their heads.

They played over their heads in April and have come back to earth in late May-June. It all evens out in the end. I don't expect the Yanks and Red Sox to stay as hot as they have been lately either.

Pathetic Rays, no hit twice in the 1st 3 months of the season, our "offense" is horrific right now

Blog Entries
    Well, they did walk 8 times, that has too be good for something. The Rays are one of the best teams out there, they'll rebound in no time.
    You must pick battles that are small enough to win, but large enough to matter

The hitting is so poor it makes me wonder why they were first pitch swinging in the 3rd inning after Jackson had walked the bases loaded. As I remember it Joyce popped up and then Upton and Blalock swung at the first pitch they saw.
    A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

The SPs are going out there with it in their heads that they need to throw a shutout to have a chance to win. That's a recipe for disaster. Even during our hot start, the hitters weren't really scoring more than league average in runs. Garza was standing on his head the first month. Price and Niemann have been pretty consistent, Shields and Davis not so much. This new hitting coach needs to figure something out, and fast.

Congratulations are due for Matt Garza for pitching the first no-hitter in Tampa Bay history. It's about time Tampa Bay got to celebrate one instead of being on the receiving end.
    RIP Ronnie James Dio (July 10, 1942 - May 16, 2010).

I would have bet David Price would have been first, but congrats to Matt Garza anyways!

Wake up Rays!! I am putting an APB out for the offense. Pitching and defense and a lineup with multiple hitters in the low .200s will not get it done. Someone explain to me why Gabe Kapler is still on the roster??

The Rays really responded today to my criticism...shakeup this team, start by firing the hitting coach!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast