Page 15 of 293 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: 1923 Yankee Stadium 3D Renderings

Hi bkhockey3,

It looks like the "R. H. E. " on the scoreboard should be changed to "R. P. C." (to denote runs, pitcher, catcher).

Outstanding work!

Brad
    "Today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth." - Lou Gehrig, Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPwsl8YtxqQ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thestadiumguy/

Blog Entries
    Will make that change--good catch! Boston Garter almost done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oops--Stadium guy----could it be P. P. C. They seem to use periods and if it's an R it doesn't look like it has had it's period yet.

Blog Entries
    Was looking through some of your posts and found some details I missed--so rebuilt the upper deck railings.

Blog Entries
    New scoreboard front.

Blog Entries
    Based on this pic (YS 1923 OD), the

How did your garters look this morning?

text clearly seen in the Polo Grounds 1923 sign is also at the bottom of the YS ad.

However, unlike the Polo Grounds version (which was on a very wide and short ad) the text seems not to reach the gap between the fans. Nor would it fit across the more narrow YS ad, based on the position of the "your" we can glimpse. So it is probably broken up over 2 lines. This might be how it it laid out (and it visually balances the ad):

I used Poor Richard for the font. It's not a perfect match, but I was at the mercy of Picasa's text fonts.

Polo Grounds version:

Regarding the possibility of doors on those bleacher locations you circled, I lightened the Oct 13 1923 pic below to get a better look at the area. Arrows indicate what look to be doors. I'll try to find other pics.

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-29-2010 at 11:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    How did you know I working on this right now? In the YS close up you posted, behind the spectators I saw the top of the Y and thought it might say Holds your sock------------------. Is your font more accurate than what I'm tracing?

Blog Entries
    Sultan--my bad. Checked your reference and yours looks right. May thicken font a little.

Blog Entries
    I'm editing my post above to include the Polo Grounds Boston Garter pic, so you can see the font (although it's a bit blurry).

I put 2 spaces between words, and one before the question mark. The letters in the Polo Grounds version seem to be slightly farther apart than my version.

Here is a pic of the bleacher area that shows the opposite relationship between the entrance and exit doors, compared to the RF corner. In this LF area, the two wider EXIT doors are on the left, and the 4 smaller BLEACHER ENTRANCE doors are on the right. I think this is what your digital model has currently. And, as your model shows, there seems to be a smaller door to the left of these 6, just as there is a 7th door on the right side over in the RF corner.

Still looking for better pics of the circled areas requested, though, to get a definitive view regarding doors.

Forgot to mention:

I was perplexed by the Arrow Collars ad in RF. It seemed odd to have a huge hat as the focus of an ad for a Co. that makes collars and shirts. Then, zooming in, I saw what seems to be a dividing line between the Arrow Collar ad and the hat portion of the bleacher signage. And then I spotted faint letters that said KXXXXXX Hats. So it seems that the Arrow Collars ad is distinct from an ad for a pork pie style straw hats to its right. I'll post pics in a a bit.

The scoreboard and those section separators in the first few rows of the upper deck look great.

OK, here is the hat ad:

Here's a big scan of the 1934 image, in which the apparent 2nd foul pole at the back of the bleachers in the Cocoa-Cola ad is visible:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-29-2010 at 01:06 PM.

Is the Walton Apartments in the SultanofWhat's photo at the top still there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Ellen View Post
    Is the Walton Apartments in the SultanofWhat's photo at the top still there?
    check out this pic http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...38#post1743138

Blog Entries
    This zoom is from one of the huge LOC images:

this has by far become the most interesting thread here. great work everyone (esp bk)!

Blog Entries
    Great work-----I'm glad I'm not the only one that's finding out new information about 1923 YS. Sultan, that hat catch is great. I completed all the upper deck front railings and wanted to lay out the box seat walls on the lower deck but don't seem to have any good close up reference. Since the info I'm getting is so detailed, am not taking any shortcuts---before for example not all railings were ball and post because of thee amount of geometry it creates and the more geometry, the bigger the fike gets. When all is done except the seats, I'll see how big the file is and maybe the seats will have to be less detailed. But I think it's a good trade off to have great detail other than the seats.

Blog Entries
    I don't have any good blueprints of the box seat layout (maybe Richard or elmer do) so I will just present images of the box seats.

From April 24, 1923:

1923 WS. The Meusel Bros., Irish and Bob:

Detail of gate:

Early 1928 (Harold Lloyd film):

1934, Aug 14:

Blog Entries
    This looks to be a plan of the lower grandstand, including the box seats. But it might be the 1937 RF grandstand extension, as that looks like the RF curve. Maybe someone has a better version:

Update: This image seems to be what you need. Zoom in using Picasa, etc. as needed:

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-30-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Good, now I can build seating for the upper class folks! Played around in Photoshop on the Hat billboard and have a possibility.

Blog Entries
    Found more 1923 pics (July 30th):

Waite Hoyt 10-10-1923:

I meant to let you catch your breath and not post the LF ads, but I just did this scan, so I'll share it:

We can glimpse the word "satisfy" in the ad. Chesterfield's ads often had slogans such as, "I'll tell the world --- they satisfy!", or:

I'll post a bunch of general Stadium detail shots in the next day or two, and then post the LF ad shots when you're ready next week. We should probably do as much as possible on the RF ads before that.
    Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-30-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Overwhelming! Yep-----let's nail down RF signs.

Blog Entries
    The upper class can now take their seats.

Page 15 of 293 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast