Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for the Mariners to find a power hitter?

Is it time for the Mariners to find a power hitter?

With the DH spot providing no pop and Milton Bradley out indefinitely, is it time for the Mariners to sign:

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

They could stick Griffey in LF since they got Gutierrez in Center, and sign someone (not Bonds) to DH. Or they could stick someone out there in LF. They are getting nothing out of their first baseman either, right?

Quote Originally Posted by micsmith View Post
    With the DH spot providing no pop and Milton Bradley out indefinitely, is it time for the Mariners to sign:

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

They could stick Griffey in LF since they got Gutierrez in Center, and sign someone (not Bonds) to DH. Or they could stick someone out there in LF. They are getting nothing out of their first baseman either, right?
    Absolutely. they need a power bat soon. not necessarily a 50 yo bonds but they need a power bat. of course power bats are expensive so it's not an easy task. but if they want to compete for the POs they need it, since griffey is getting from old to very old.

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

Cust is not a free agent. He's playing for the A's Triple-A Sacramento team. Delgado is not physically ready and you yourself discount Bonds (and it's really not realistic anyway). Of the names you mention, only Dye is a realistic possibility, but he'd still take weeks to get ready.

No. The time was the offseason. I have no idea why they failed to address their offense in the offseason.

When is it NOT time to be looking to be able to add power?

Quote Originally Posted by CandlestickBum View Post
    When is it NOT time to be looking to be able to add power?
    of course. but with seattle it's really extreme. they have noo power whatsoever, and they can't play small ball because they only have 2 guys who can hit(ichiro and figgins, the latter is struggling also).
    they might have the worst offense in all majors right now(sad because of their great pitching even though it's not quite in top form right now)

How about Gary Sheffield?

Please come and get Carlos Lee!
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Jermaine Dye would be the better addition out of the short list. I still don't know why he hasn't signed with any team yet... is he holding out for ridiculous money...?

Quote Originally Posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
    Jermaine Dye would be the better addition out of the short list. I still don't know why he hasn't signed with any team yet... is he holding out for ridiculous money...?
    I guess he's still looking for a multi-year deal, but no one wants to give him one at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
    Dye turned down off-season offers forn the Cubs and Brewers. He thought something better would come along, but nothing has. After an all-star worthy first half last year, his game just went to hell in the second half. Apparently, nobody wants to take a chance on him.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

Wow, what a bad economy for those bazillion-dollar players to deal with. Still, he might be easier to sign than C Lee with that horrid contract.
    Born to an age where horror has become commonplace, where tragedy has, by its monotonous repetition, become a parody of sorrow, we need to fence off a few parks where humans try to be fair, where skill has some hope of reward, [and] where absurdity has a harder time than usual getting a ticket." -- Thomas Boswell, 1984

Seattle could probably work something with the Nationals to acquire Adam Dunn. Dunn would get them through the end of this year at least. The Nats could use a decent reliever or two (even veterans work for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
    No. The time was the offseason. I have no idea why they failed to address their offense in the offseason.
    And sign who? We were strapped with budget cuts this season, unfortunately. The free agent pool was also too shallow. Bay was available, and we offered, but the Mets outbid the M's by overpaying.
    Last edited by Trickyhop; 05-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    of course. but with seattle it's really extreme. they have noo power whatsoever, and they can't play small ball because they only have 2 guys who can hit(ichiro and figgins, the latter is struggling also).
    they might have the worst offense in all majors right now(sad because of their great pitching even though it's not quite in top form right now)
    They do have the worst offense, bar none. Before last nights game (and perhaps even still) the M's were last in the American League in average (.225), on-base percentage (.302), slugging (.315), runs (94) and home runs (10). I think there are individuals out there with better HR numbers.

Everybody is struggling so bad except for Franklin Gutierrez and Ichiro. Bradley is on the restricted list. Last night, the Tacoma Rainiers beat the L.A. Angels. It's really that bad. Up to 2 games ago, there had only been one single extra base hit out of the DH position, which has mostly been dominated by Griffey. It takes a thousand at bats just to score a single run in a game. It's just too much work for not enough production.

Franklin Gutierrez has been batting 3rd for a little while now as he was batting lower in the order swinging a really hot bat. His average has since dropped a bit (though he's holding his own respectably) as he has NOBODY batting behind him to protect him. He is currently seeing the hardest pitches in the lineup. Eek. He's not a #3 guy anyways. This is harsh.
    Last edited by Trickyhop; 05-10-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cod View Post
    Seattle could probably work something with the Nationals to acquire Adam Dunn. Dunn would get them through the end of this year at least. The Nats could use a decent reliever or two (even veterans work for me).
    I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. We just don't have the reliever depth to trade though. It might happen that we will have to trade a reliever, but we're already strapped in that area, as evidenced by us trading Brandon Morrow for Brandon League in the offseason.

I wonder why they didn't keep branyan. he was not an elite slugger but at least he had decent power.
    I understand that they might need to cut money since they are not the yanks, but why did they not spend into hitting instead of cliff lee? the pitching has playoff quality even without lee(of course no it's even stronger when lee reaches his form) but their hitting is right there with the nationals or pirates. they should have strived for more balance between offense and pitching even with limited payroll.

I wonder why they didn't keep branyan. he was not an elite slugger but at least he had decent power.
    I understand that they might need to cut money since they are not the yanks, but why did they not spend into hitting instead of cliff lee? the pitching has playoff quality even without lee(of course no it's even stronger when lee reaches his form) but their hitting is right there with the nationals or pirates. they should have strived for more balance between offense and pitching even with limited payroll.
    I wondered that for a long while as well, and after Branyan signed, I guess the real story came out. Our GM offered Branyan a one year offer of fair money, and it was turned down. Shortly thereafter, a very unpublicized "set back" in Branyans rehabilitation occured. The M's front office got word of it and backed out immediately. He missed a ton of time last season when we really needed him due to his ongoing back issues, and when he came back he wasn't the same slugger that left before the back injury. He magically turned himself into a strike out machine.

We also offered Adrian Beltre some good money, but he wanted to go pad his stats in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyhop View Post
    They do have the worst offense, bar none. Before last nights game (and perhaps even still) the M's were last in the American League in average (.225), on-base percentage (.302), slugging (.315), runs (94) and home runs (10). I think there are individuals out there with better HR numbers.

Everybody is struggling so bad except for Franklin Gutierrez and Ichiro. Bradley is on the restricted list. Last night, the Tacoma Rainiers beat the L.A. Angels. It's really that bad. Up to 2 games ago, there had only been one single extra base hit out of the DH position, which has mostly been dominated by Griffey. It takes a thousand at bats just to score a single run in a game. It's just too much work for not enough production.

Franklin Gutierrez has been batting 3rd for a little while now as he was batting lower in the order swinging a really hot bat. His average has since dropped a bit (though he's holding his own respectably) as he has NOBODY batting behind him to protect him. He is currently seeing the hardest pitches in the lineup. Eek. He's not a #3 guy anyways. This is harsh.
    that's actually true. paul konerko has 13 HRs which is more than the whole mariners team.

that's actually true. paul konerko has 13 HRs which is more than the whole mariners team.
    Maybe we should do an even swap...

And in related news - wake up and smell the coffee (Seattle's Best!)

Report: Griffey slept in clubhouse
    ESPN.com news services

Though he may be 40 years old now, sometimes "The Kid" needs to sleep.

Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to enter an unspecified game last week as a pinch hitter because he was asleep in the clubhouse, according to a report from the Tacoma News Tribune.

When pressed following the game as to why he had not used the left-handed slugger as a pinch hitter, Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was evasive.

But according to two unnamed younger Seattle players who are both fond of Griffey, the future Hall of Famer had fallen asleep.

"He was asleep in the clubhouse," one player told the Tribune. "He'd gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didn't come back. I went back in about the seventh inning -- and he was in his chair, sound asleep."

The second player, who is reported to know Griffey better, claims the scuffling slugger has had difficulty sleeping at home.

"He doesn't sleep well at night, he's away from his family, he's comfortable in the clubhouse," he told the Tribune. "They could have awakened him."

Griffey is batting .208 with just five RBIs for a last-place Mariners club that has struggled mightily in trying to get runs across the plate this season.
    "Only twice in my life has the hair on the back of my neck stood up straight. The first time was when I saw Michaelangelo's Sistine Chapel. The second time was when I saw Sandy Koufax's fastball" - Al Campanis.

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

As mentioned previously, Cust is not a FA so they would have to trade to get him. He is in AAA for a reason. Delgado? What makes you think he would help. He has been hurt and there is probably a reason he hasnt been signed. Bonds, no comment, i think we all know that wont happen and what makes you think at his age and being out of the game for 3 years he could help anyways. Dye - i would entertain it but from what ive seen his asking price isnt worth what you "may" get from him.

G Man

Milton Bradley is a sorry excuse for a power hitter. It's probably safe to say he's on the brink of hanging 'em up. The M's should cut bait and trade Cliff Lee before he runs to a contender. Maybe the M's can trade Lee to Dodgers for Manny or Loney - something like that. Or to the Rockies for Brad Hawpe. You gotta think it's just a matter of time before Lee finds a new home.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    And in related news - wake up and smell the coffee (Seattle's Best!)

Report: Griffey slept in clubhouse
    ESPN.com news services

Though he may be 40 years old now, sometimes "The Kid" needs to sleep.

Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to enter an unspecified game last week as a pinch hitter because he was asleep in the clubhouse, according to a report from the Tacoma News Tribune.

When pressed following the game as to why he had not used the left-handed slugger as a pinch hitter, Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was evasive.

But according to two unnamed younger Seattle players who are both fond of Griffey, the future Hall of Famer had fallen asleep.

"He was asleep in the clubhouse," one player told the Tribune. "He'd gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didn't come back. I went back in about the seventh inning -- and he was in his chair, sound asleep."

The second player, who is reported to know Griffey better, claims the scuffling slugger has had difficulty sleeping at home.

"He doesn't sleep well at night, he's away from his family, he's comfortable in the clubhouse," he told the Tribune. "They could have awakened him."

Griffey is batting .208 with just five RBIs for a last-place Mariners club that has struggled mightily in trying to get runs across the plate this season.
    Wakamatsu disputes the accusation that Griffey was sleeping in the clubhouse.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Heh. Their 1B is Kotchman and a DH platoon of Sweeney and Griffey.

At what point did people think this team would score runs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast