Is it time for the Mariners to find a power hitter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • micsmith
    • Jul 2003

Is it time for the Mariners to find a power hitter?

With the DH spot providing no pop and Milton Bradley out indefinitely, is it time for the Mariners to sign:

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

They could stick Griffey in LF since they got Gutierrez in Center, and sign someone (not Bonds) to DH. Or they could stick someone out there in LF. They are getting nothing out of their first baseman either, right?
  • dominik
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by micsmith View Post
    With the DH spot providing no pop and Milton Bradley out indefinitely, is it time for the Mariners to sign:

Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

They could stick Griffey in LF since they got Gutierrez in Center, and sign someone (not Bonds) to DH. Or they could stick someone out there in LF. They are getting nothing out of their first baseman either, right?
    Absolutely. they need a power bat soon. not necessarily a 50 yo bonds but they need a power bat. of course power bats are expensive so it's not an easy task. but if they want to compete for the POs they need it, since griffey is getting from old to very old.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
      Stretch 44
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by micsmith View Post

Carlos Delgado
      or
      Jermaine Dye
      or
      Jack Cust
      or
      Barry Bonds

Cust is not a free agent. He's playing for the A's Triple-A Sacramento team. Delgado is not physically ready and you yourself discount Bonds (and it's really not realistic anyway). Of the names you mention, only Dye is a realistic possibility, but he'd still take weeks to get ready.
      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• Milt on Tilt
        • Nov 2007

No. The time was the offseason. I have no idea why they failed to address their offense in the offseason.

Comment

• CandlestickBum
          2010, Year of the Giant
          • Aug 2006

When is it NOT time to be looking to be able to add power?

Comment

• dominik
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by CandlestickBum View Post
            When is it NOT time to be looking to be able to add power?
            of course. but with seattle it's really extreme. they have noo power whatsoever, and they can't play small ball because they only have 2 guys who can hit(ichiro and figgins, the latter is struggling also).
            they might have the worst offense in all majors right now(sad because of their great pitching even though it's not quite in top form right now)
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• John Shoemaker
              • Nov 2006

How about Gary Sheffield?

Comment

• History Of Baseball Fan
                • Oct 2005

Jermaine Dye would be the better addition out of the short list. I still don't know why he hasn't signed with any team yet... is he holding out for ridiculous money...?
                http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

• SamtheBravesFan
                  Braves Fan For Life
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
                  Jermaine Dye would be the better addition out of the short list. I still don't know why he hasn't signed with any team yet... is he holding out for ridiculous money...?
                  I guess he's still looking for a multi-year deal, but no one wants to give him one at this point.
                  46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
                    A Gametime Decision
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by History Of Baseball Fan View Post
                    Dye turned down off-season offers forn the Cubs and Brewers. He thought something better would come along, but nothing has. After an all-star worthy first half last year, his game just went to hell in the second half. Apparently, nobody wants to take a chance on him.
                    They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• Cod
                      • Aug 2007

Seattle could probably work something with the Nationals to acquire Adam Dunn. Dunn would get them through the end of this year at least. The Nats could use a decent reliever or two (even veterans work for me).

Comment

• Trickyhop
                        New Cheney
                        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
                        No. The time was the offseason. I have no idea why they failed to address their offense in the offseason.
                        And sign who? We were strapped with budget cuts this season, unfortunately. The free agent pool was also too shallow. Bay was available, and we offered, but the Mets outbid the M's by overpaying.
                        Last edited by Trickyhop; 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Trickyhop
                          New Cheney
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dominik View Post
                          of course. but with seattle it's really extreme. they have noo power whatsoever, and they can't play small ball because they only have 2 guys who can hit(ichiro and figgins, the latter is struggling also).
                          they might have the worst offense in all majors right now(sad because of their great pitching even though it's not quite in top form right now)
                          They do have the worst offense, bar none. Before last nights game (and perhaps even still) the M's were last in the American League in average (.225), on-base percentage (.302), slugging (.315), runs (94) and home runs (10). I think there are individuals out there with better HR numbers.

Everybody is struggling so bad except for Franklin Gutierrez and Ichiro. Bradley is on the restricted list. Last night, the Tacoma Rainiers beat the L.A. Angels. It's really that bad. Up to 2 games ago, there had only been one single extra base hit out of the DH position, which has mostly been dominated by Griffey. It takes a thousand at bats just to score a single run in a game. It's just too much work for not enough production.

Franklin Gutierrez has been batting 3rd for a little while now as he was batting lower in the order swinging a really hot bat. His average has since dropped a bit (though he's holding his own respectably) as he has NOBODY batting behind him to protect him. He is currently seeing the hardest pitches in the lineup. Eek. He's not a #3 guy anyways. This is harsh.
                          Last edited by Trickyhop; 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Trickyhop
                            New Cheney
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Cod View Post
                            Seattle could probably work something with the Nationals to acquire Adam Dunn. Dunn would get them through the end of this year at least. The Nats could use a decent reliever or two (even veterans work for me).
                            I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. We just don't have the reliever depth to trade though. It might happen that we will have to trade a reliever, but we're already strapped in that area, as evidenced by us trading Brandon Morrow for Brandon League in the offseason.

Comment

• dominik
                              • Oct 2008

I wonder why they didn't keep branyan. he was not an elite slugger but at least he had decent power.
                              I understand that they might need to cut money since they are not the yanks, but why did they not spend into hitting instead of cliff lee? the pitching has playoff quality even without lee(of course no it's even stronger when lee reaches his form) but their hitting is right there with the nationals or pirates. they should have strived for more balance between offense and pitching even with limited payroll.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X