Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Is it time for the Mariners to find a power hitter?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    An hour from Cooperstown
    Posts
    10,247
    And in related news - wake up and smell the coffee (Seattle's Best!)

    Report: Griffey slept in clubhouse
    ESPN.com news services

    Though he may be 40 years old now, sometimes "The Kid" needs to sleep.

    Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to enter an unspecified game last week as a pinch hitter because he was asleep in the clubhouse, according to a report from the Tacoma News Tribune.

    When pressed following the game as to why he had not used the left-handed slugger as a pinch hitter, Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was evasive.

    But according to two unnamed younger Seattle players who are both fond of Griffey, the future Hall of Famer had fallen asleep.

    "He was asleep in the clubhouse," one player told the Tribune. "He'd gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didn't come back. I went back in about the seventh inning -- and he was in his chair, sound asleep."

    The second player, who is reported to know Griffey better, claims the scuffling slugger has had difficulty sleeping at home.

    "He doesn't sleep well at night, he's away from his family, he's comfortable in the clubhouse," he told the Tribune. "They could have awakened him."

    Griffey is batting .208 with just five RBIs for a last-place Mariners club that has struggled mightily in trying to get runs across the plate this season.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by micsmith View Post
    With the DH spot providing no pop and Milton Bradley out indefinitely, is it time for the Mariners to sign:

    Carlos Delgado
    or
    Jermaine Dye
    or
    Jack Cust
    or
    Barry Bonds

    They could stick Griffey in LF since they got Gutierrez in Center, and sign someone (not Bonds) to DH. Or they could stick someone out there in LF. They are getting nothing out of their first baseman either, right?
    As mentioned previously, Cust is not a FA so they would have to trade to get him. He is in AAA for a reason. Delgado? What makes you think he would help. He has been hurt and there is probably a reason he hasnt been signed. Bonds, no comment, i think we all know that wont happen and what makes you think at his age and being out of the game for 3 years he could help anyways. Dye - i would entertain it but from what ive seen his asking price isnt worth what you "may" get from him.

    G Man

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    7,779
    Milton Bradley is a sorry excuse for a power hitter. It's probably safe to say he's on the brink of hanging 'em up. The M's should cut bait and trade Cliff Lee before he runs to a contender. Maybe the M's can trade Lee to Dodgers for Manny or Loney - something like that. Or to the Rockies for Brad Hawpe. You gotta think it's just a matter of time before Lee finds a new home.
    WAR? Prove it!

    Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    And in related news - wake up and smell the coffee (Seattle's Best!)

    Report: Griffey slept in clubhouse
    ESPN.com news services

    Though he may be 40 years old now, sometimes "The Kid" needs to sleep.

    Seattle Mariners star Ken Griffey Jr. missed a chance to enter an unspecified game last week as a pinch hitter because he was asleep in the clubhouse, according to a report from the Tacoma News Tribune.

    When pressed following the game as to why he had not used the left-handed slugger as a pinch hitter, Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu was evasive.

    But according to two unnamed younger Seattle players who are both fond of Griffey, the future Hall of Famer had fallen asleep.

    "He was asleep in the clubhouse," one player told the Tribune. "He'd gone back about the fifth inning to get a jacket and didn't come back. I went back in about the seventh inning -- and he was in his chair, sound asleep."

    The second player, who is reported to know Griffey better, claims the scuffling slugger has had difficulty sleeping at home.

    "He doesn't sleep well at night, he's away from his family, he's comfortable in the clubhouse," he told the Tribune. "They could have awakened him."

    Griffey is batting .208 with just five RBIs for a last-place Mariners club that has struggled mightily in trying to get runs across the plate this season.
    Wakamatsu disputes the accusation that Griffey was sleeping in the clubhouse.

    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

  5. #25
    Heh. Their 1B is Kotchman and a DH platoon of Sweeney and Griffey.

    At what point did people think this team would score runs?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
    Heh. Their 1B is Kotchman and a DH platoon of Sweeney and Griffey.

    At what point did people think this team would score runs?
    They are...

    (now that the Tacoma Rainiers took over)

  7. #27
    Raul Ibanez should still be patrolling the grounds of left field at Safeco and Beltre should still be manning the hot corner. And they have power bats.


  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Seattle1, what are your thoughts so far on this season? I am loving our starting pitching, but am finding our bullpen frustrating. Our offense is horrendous. I was planning on going to the game on Fathers day, but with the way things are going, why should I? This team loses games very frustratingly. Lots of walk off losses and no offense. It just sounds really boring to watch. If I did go to a game, it'd be to watch a pitchers duel since our starters are so awesome, and our offense sucks so obviously the other teams starters will look like all-stars. Then, when we think we're about to win the game in the bottom of the 9th, 2-0, we lose 5-2. Sounds boring.

    I figure the average Mariners game cost to me would look about like this: $25 a ticket x's 2, $8 for parking, $20 for food. That's $78 right there. Why should I give this team that much of my time and money? I'd rather take a ferry to an island at this point in time and enjoy the immense beauty of this area rather than spend a frustrating afternoon in traffic, only to watch our team lose harshly.
    Maybe things'll turn around soon. Hopefully anyways. Still planning on skipping the fathers day outing to Safeco anyways.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyhop View Post
    Seattle1, what are your thoughts so far on this season? I am loving our starting pitching, but am finding our bullpen frustrating. Our offense is horrendous.
    You said it all right there in a nutshell. It makes me feel sad. And sorry for the starting pitchers. Poor guys. Ichiro is as good as he ever was, but he can't carry the whole O by himself.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Everytime Carlos Silva pitches well, I laugh just a bit harder. M's brought this on themselves, taking on a cancer like Milty.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    Everytime Carlos Silva pitches well, I laugh just a bit harder. M's brought this on themselves, taking on a cancer like Milty.
    Pfft, I'm still happy we got rid of him. The trade still gets good press here. Good for Silva. He wouldn't be doing half that good here, and on top of that, we don't have room for him (pun intended) on the roster. Aside from a struggling Rowland-Smith, we have a solid 1-5, all without his bloated salary. I think our GM did a good job of blowing up the 2008 team and starting fresh. He just had to go for his sake and the teams.

    Milton Bradley just needs to get it together. No telling if that will ever happen though. But, seeing as you blame what is happening to the Mariners this season on Milton Bradley shows you're only looking at the headlines that'll get readers attention. The Mariners probably could have potentionally won about 8-10 more games this season, but ended up losing due to our bullpen or fell just a base hit short. You can throw Eric Byrnes and Mike Sweeney's name in there also for direct blame on big losses.

    There's a complain about Milton Bradley thread elseshwere on this forum...
    Last edited by Trickyhop; 05-18-2010 at 03:57 PM.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle1 View Post
    You said it all right there in a nutshell. It makes me feel sad. And sorry for the starting pitchers. Poor guys. Ichiro is as good as he ever was, but he can't carry the whole O by himself.
    I too feel really bad for our starting pitchers.

  13. #33
    This is the risk of Safeco and Petco, where offenses go to die (or at least sleep). There's a reason why JJ Putz, Kaz Sasaki, David Aardsma, and post-2003 Eddie Guardado could all hold a job there and were first or second tier closers, but had little recognizable success anywhere else.

    In 2005 Ichiro was second in slugging at .436. That's 1960s.
    (fantasy football)
    JM: Only did that for a couple of years and then we had a conspiracy so it kind of turned me sour. Our league's commissioner, Lew Ford(notes) at the time, was doing some shady things that ... I'd rather not talk about [laughs].
    DB: Isn't he in Japan right now?
    JM: I don't know where Lou is right now. He's probably fleeing the authorities [laughs].

  14. #34
    Is slugging Ichiro's role? He bats lead-off, yes?

  15. #35
    The Bradley trade was good for the Mariners.....and then Jack Z gave the Cubs money. Cubs won the trade.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
    The Bradley trade was good for the Mariners.....and then Jack Z gave the Cubs money. Cubs won the trade.
    Fair enough. Though he's not getting paid right now, lol. Ya, I know, he's not playing either, just kidding around.

    I seriously think that guys on the verge of a nervous breakdown. It's the only reason I'm cutting him any sort of slack. It's not like his bat gave pitchers that much to fear anyways. He'd probably make a nice #6 hitter in our lineup. But then again, so would Jose Lopez. We have no true #3 or 4 hitters in our lineup. Sucks. Another thing that sucks is that we'll probably have to rid ourselves of one of our young pitchers to bring in a bat. We need another arm in the bullpen too.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt on Tilt View Post
    The Bradley trade was good for the Mariners.....and then Jack Z gave the Cubs money. Cubs won the trade.
    I will never agree that it was a good deal for the M's, even if the Cubs gave the M's money to cover all of Milty's salaray. Milton Bradley is a clubhouse cancer and you couldn't pay me to have him on my team.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    I will never agree that it was a good deal for the M's, even if the Cubs gave the M's money to cover all of Milty's salaray. Milton Bradley is a clubhouse cancer and you couldn't pay me to have him on my team.
    What does this even mean: "even if the Cubs gave the M's money to cover all of Milty's salaray."

    Even if the cubs took Silva off of our hands and PAID ALL of Milton's salary?! You'd be crazy not to agree to that. He isn't a clubhouse cancer here, actually, until this whole episode, his antics have been much appreciated, not always by me, but seemingly by everyone else. Read this, it changed the way I viewed some of Milton's antics for sure: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lady_luck.html

    He's not a clubhouse cancer, he's a clubhouse nothing. I think there are worse problems than Milton in Seattle at the moment. Griffey *cough*

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    5,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickyhop View Post
    What does this even mean: "even if the Cubs gave the M's money to cover all of Milty's salaray."

    Even if the cubs took Silva off of our hands and PAID ALL of Milton's salary?! You'd be crazy not to agree to that. He isn't a clubhouse cancer here, actually, until this whole episode, his antics have been much appreciated, not always by me, but seemingly by everyone else. Read this, it changed the way I viewed some of Milton's antics for sure: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lady_luck.html

    He's not a clubhouse cancer, he's a clubhouse nothing. I think there are worse problems than Milton in Seattle at the moment. Griffey *cough*
    It means two things.

    1) I can't spell. It should be salary. Sorry.
    2) I repeat, you could not pay me enough to put Milton Bradley on my team. Not enough money in the world to make it worthwhile.

    P.S. Your link did absolutely nothing to alter my opinion.
    Last edited by Rich the Giants fan; 05-19-2010 at 03:39 PM.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    It means two things.

    1) I can't spell. It should be salary. Sorry.
    2) I repeat, you could not pay me enough to put Milton Bradley on my team. Not enough money in the world to make it worthwhile.

    P.S. Your link did absolutely nothing to alter my opinion.
    Well, all I can say is, it's a really good thing for all MLB teams that you're not a GM. If a team pays you to take a player that you can turn around and trade or do whatever with, and you don't take him, I repeat, you'd have to be crazy. Good thing none of this discussion has anything to do with real life cause your answer just isn't even feasible anyways. The Cubs would be crazy to do that in the first place.

    P.S. You're just being stubborn. Like Milton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •