Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All-Time Draft Post-WWII

All-Time Draft Post-WWII

Alrighty. This is all-time draft #7 I believe, and this time we'll be choosing players who started playing after World War II. This is not a draft thread. So far we have:
    1) Splendid Splinter
    2) Wade8813
    3) BigRon
    4) Tyrus4189Cobb
    5) RuthMayBond
    6) Brad Harris
    7)
    8)
    9)
    10)

There are some rules, of course. I've modified them a little since my massive PM.
    1. Players must have started their MLB careers in the 1946 season or after.
    2. Position players must have played at least 1000 games.
    3. Pitchers must have appeared in at least 275 games.
    4. Choose a DH
    5. Players must have played at least 500 of games at a specific position to qualify there.
    6. No Japanese Leaguers
    7. Anyone who played in the Negro/Japanese Leagues will only have their MLB careers counted
    8. Corner outfielders are interchangeable; center fielders can play corner outfield
    9. 25-man rosters; snake-style draft
    10. Drafters have 8 hours to choose, then they are skipped and must make up their pick at any time
    11. Draft starts June 2nd, 12:00 PM EST.

Comments? Concerns? Any more participants? And if you reply, you must vote for a DH. Personally, I'm against the DH. For a draft though, I vote for having one.
    Last edited by Tyrus4189Cobb; 05-28-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

I vote in favor of the DH

I think we should have a flat requirement for games at a position (it seems unfair that someone like Pujols only needs 360 games to qualify, and someone like Rose needs 890 games).
    Last edited by Wade8813; 05-23-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Are we doing this based on career? 5 year peak? etc?... Also I'm in favor of DH as well.
    "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
    Are we doing this based on career? 5 year peak? etc?... Also I'm in favor of DH as well.
    Since the last one was also a timeframe draft and we did career, we'll stick with it. Consider the entire MLB career.

Any suggestions to get more participants?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post

I think we should have a flat requirement for games at a position (it seems unfair that someone like Pujols only needs 360 games to qualify, and someone like Rose needs 890 games).
    Gotta agree with Wade
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Gotta agree with Wade
    What's your stance on the DH?

How many games did you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    What's your stance on the DH?
    Not a dealbreaker either way

"How many games did you have in mind?"

Somewhere between 600-800, maybe towards the upper figure
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Not a dealbreaker either way

"How many games did you have in mind?"

Somewhere between 600-800, maybe towards the upper figure
    I'll change the minimum game requirements to 1000 for players (300 for pitchers). Therefore, minimum at a position is 500. Reasonable?

I'll change the minimum game requirements to 1000 for players (300 for pitchers). Therefore, minimum at a position is 500. Reasonable?
    More reasonable, and it is your draft

More reasonable, and it is your draft
    True, but I tend to pick bad numbers. This I had no problem admitting.

300 game minimum for pitchers may be a tad high. There are more than a couple of good pitchers who didn't/haven't reached 300 games. For example CC Sabathia has pitched in 298 ML games. If the draft started this week, he wouldn't be eligible. There are others, too.

I'd suggest 250 game minimum for pitchers. That will basically encompass just about all pitchers who had a decent career, with the exception of some young current stars and a couple of guys whose careers ended prematurely due to injury.

I really dislike the DH, but I'm not strongly opposed to using it in this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    I'd suggest 250 game minimum for pitchers. That will basically encompass just about all pitchers who had a decent career, with the exception of some young current stars and a couple of guys whose careers ended prematurely due to injury.
    Well, over 1000 pitchers have played in 300 games. I'll compromise: 275 games.

One glaring problem still: we need more participants

Well, over 1000 pitchers have played in 300 games. I'll compromise: 275 games.

One glaring problem still: we need more participants
    Yeah, but post-WW2, it's strongly skewed toward relievers. And many of these guys weren't even very good. In the modern era, a real journeyman reliever can rack up 300 games in 5- 6 seasons, even if he's not particularly effective.

Anyway, 275 certainly can work.

You're right- we need more participants- AND ones who won't quit.

1) Count me in

2) In the interest of maximizing the range of draft strategies, I strongly favor adding a DH with the caveat that only individuals with 500 games at DH qualify (same as with any other position).
    Last edited by Brad Harris; 05-27-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Excellent! Another recruit. The DH is in, but there will be no need for 500 games to play there. The DH isn't a specialized position. A variety of players have gone there. Besides, the goal is to construct the strongest team possible of all-time players. Searching for someone who's played 500 games there shrinks our capacity to do so. You only need a good batter and he can go play DH. Hopefully this ruling doesn't sway Mr. Harris from the draft.

Excellent! Another recruit. The DH is in, but there will be no need for 500 games to play there. The DH isn't a specialized position. A variety of players have gone there. Besides, the goal is to construct the strongest team possible of all-time players. Searching for someone who's played 500 games there shrinks our capacity to do so. You only need a good batter and he can go play DH. Hopefully this ruling doesn't sway Mr. Harris from the draft.
    He'll get BACK here, and he'll LIKE it, or ELSE

http://www.themacinator.com/blogpics/bashbrothers.jpg

I checked with milladrive to see if he wanted to join, but he said he's too busy.

Be good to have at least 2 more.

Not at all. Just throws out my research on the 22 guys who would have qualified. LOL Anyone else as surprised as I am that from 1973-2010 only 22 players have actually accumulated 500 games as a DH? Interestingly enough, only four of that group - Travis Hafner, Cliff Johnson, Hal McRae and David Ortiz - failed to play 500 games at any other position? Here's the 22 "qualifying" DHs (500+ games) and their respective other positions. (Just to share since I wasted the time anyway.)

DH Only
    Travis Hafner
    Cliff Johnson
    Hal McRae
    David Ortiz

DH/1B
    Eddie Murray
    Mike Sweeney
    Frank Thomas
    Jim Thome
    Andre Thornton

DH/LF
    Don Baylor
    Rico Carty
    Willie Horton
    Greg Luzinski
    Jim Rice

DH/RF
    Harold Baines
    Jose Canseco
    Reggie Jackson

DH/3B
    George Brett
    Edgar Martinez
    Paul Molitor

DH/CF
    Chili Davis

DH/C/LF
    Brian Downing - yes, an amazing 500 games at three different positions!

Whatever any of this means, I don't know. Just found it somewhat interesting and I'm bored at work.
    "The value of a stat is directly proportional to how good it makes Steve Garvey look." -- Nerdlinger

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Be good to have at least 2 more.
    At least. Given the large pool of stars available, the more (participants), the merrier. (And the more challenging.)

Are we starting Tuesday come heck or high water?

Are we starting Tuesday come heck or high water?
    I still hope we can find 2 more. What do you guys think?

Also, BEFORE we start I propose that we set/make some sort of commitment about how a champion is crowned. We had head to head voteoffs in the Alphabet Draft until a champion was named. I thought that worked pretty well. We just finished up an alltime draft (#6?) and we didn't do anything about a playoff. The draft, of course, is the most fun, but it feels sort of empty to me with no closure.

The H2H thing was alright, but by the end, participation had fallen off. I think we should either do a one time voting, or a sim or something.
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    The H2H thing was alright, but by the end, participation had fallen off. I think we should either do a one time voting, or a sim or something.
    Sounds good to me.

I've been PMing possible candidates, but so far no dice. Two more would be great, but I'm simply out of ideas to get more. As always I can take suggestions.

Based on that, I'll extend the draft start to Thursday, June 4, 12:00 PM EST.

Three days until draft time.

Sounds good to me.

I've been PMing possible candidates, but so far no dice. Two more would be great, but I'm simply out of ideas to get more. As always I can take suggestions.

Based on that, I'll extend the draft start to Thursday, June 4, 12:00 PM EST.
    Make a post in the History forum? Possible interest there from people who don't normally wander over here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast