Curse you! BigRon pmed me and wants Robin

Rarely
    On
    Break
    Ever,
    Relinquished
    Taters
    (Solos)

He wants to see what has transpired before naming his next pick. Still not sure why he had me do one though
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Okay, I'm back- sorry for the delay. Thanks for posting my R7 pick, RMB.

I need another right handed power hitter. I was hoping that Bagwell would last, but he didn't, so I'll take

Harmon Killebrew,

one of the great home run champions.

Brad, it's back to you.

Mariano Rivera
    "What is not discussed, will not be advanced." -- Daniel Patrick Moynihan
    "They didn't call amphetamines 'ability pills' because they allowed you to re-roll your AD&D character sheet." -- Dan Szymborski

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Harris View Post
    Mariano Rivera
    Hmmm, an interesting strategy, Brad. A roster of position players and closer(s). Mind you, I'm not suggesting your strategy is flawed- just- interesting, to date.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Hmmm, an interesting strategy, Brad. A roster of position players and closer(s). Mind you, I'm not suggesting your strategy is flawed- just- interesting, to date.
    Since he's only picked one closer, it could be that it just kinda turned out that way. If he picks another closer or two, that's when things get interesting, IMO.

I'll take Willie McCovey
    The Dark Knight is the best movie I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDxgNjMTPIs

My "strategy" (such as it is) has a lot to do with what I perceive are the marginal differences between players already taken at a position and those remaining. The top tier of starting pitchers is already gone and the difference between the cream of those left and the next tier down isn't so big. Rivera is the best reliever in history - if you notice, I've tried to grab the #1 at an available position as much as possible - and when not possible, have looked at marginal difference between best available candidate and others at a given position. TBH, Roberts was my next pick, but (as has happened to us all) my hand was forced by the unfolding of events.
    "They didn't call amphetamines 'ability pills' because they allowed you to re-roll your AD&D character sheet." -- Dan Szymborski

I'll take Robin Yount. Now we wait to see if my next choice makes it.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

What the heck, gimme Tony the

Game-
    Winner
    You
    Naturally
    Need
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Splinter has about an hour left. Shall I post a roster thread?

With our 8th and 9th pick of the draft, Key Obezags select Hoyt Wilhelm...

and

Billy Wagner...

"Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
    Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
    Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
    Bo Jackson

The run on relievers is official. I'll go with John

Fine
    Reliever,
    And
    Never
    Ceases.
    Old!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    I'll take Robin Yount. Now we wait to see if my next choice makes it.
    You would have had a better chance if you didn't give Wade the chance to pick now.

Well, since Tyrus has been skipped, I'll take Hank Greenberg.

Gaylord Perry
    Last edited by Brad Harris; 06-10-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade8813 View Post
    Well, since Tyrus has been skipped, I'll take Hank Greenberg.
    Interesting choice, considering Greenberg actually took part in the war this draft was designed to start after.

I'll take Juan Marichal

That's what I get for hastily going through my list of players to remove guys who didn't qualify. I sat here trying to decide between Greenberg and Mize, and neither qualifies... :facepalm:

Well, I need to shore up my defense, so I'll take Jim Edmonds.

Okay, Round 9 pick. I'll take

Barry Larkin, the best (in my opinion) NL SS in the past 30+ years.

Round 10- should I get on the reliever bandwagon? Okay, I'll take

Rich (Goose) Gossage.

In his one season in Pittsburgh he was, without doubt, the best reliever I ever saw. He pitched often, he pitched multiple innings, and he was untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    Barry Larkin, the best (in my opinion) NL SS in the past 70+ years.
    Fixed.

My next pick is Phil Niekro. Wade's turn.

Fixed.

My next pick is Phil Niekro. Wade's turn.
    You may be right. I see him and Reese as very close, as I give Reese good credit for 3 prime years lost to WW2. But, Barry was excellent and I'm happy to have him.

BTW, I was just funnin' ya about your picks. Your strategy makes sense.

I have Reese close as well, but when I have a Player and a Player + Extra Credit roughly equal, then I have to give the nod to the guy who did it over the guy who I suspect might have done it. My two cents there.

Not sure what happened to Wade, but his time is up. Tyrus pm-ed me and wants Pete Rose. And I gave Pete to him anyway

I need Eddie

Moody,
    Underrated
    Regular
    Rakes
    Awesome
    Yearly

Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    Not sure what happened to Wade, but his time is up. Tyrus pm-ed me and wants Pete Rose. And I gave Pete to him anyway
    Sorry, I had an Army mandated dentist appointment - it takes about an hour and a half to get there by bus, the appointment took a really long time, and on the way back, I missed a couple connections by a few minutes, so I had to wait an hour twice.

I'll take John Smoltz.

Johan Santana. (I needed a southpaw)
    Last edited by Brad Harris; 06-11-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Johan Santana. (I needed a southpaw)
    Hey Brad- do I have it wrong or did you pick out of turn? By what I can tell, it's the end of Round 10. RMB picked Eddie Murray, then Wade made up his pick with Smoltz. TSS comes after RMB in Round 10, then has the first pick in Round 11. Looks like TSS' turn for 2 picks now.

Anyhow, I think your pick of Santana is out of turn. Check it out and tell me what you think.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast