Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 954

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    kids will be happy playing on the site of the old stadium.
    you want a museum, not realistic.
    Only kids who know what used to stand there knows the significance of that land. As the generations go by, it will become another park.

    How is a museum not realistic? I am not saying they should have kept the whole structure as is up. That part was unrealistic( as much as I would have wanted the whole thing left standing). But, they could have just demolished the upper deck and loge section and leave the field seating. And trim the structure back to the 1928 dimensions( saving Gate 2). That would leave enough room for two fields I believe( judging from that picture posted above, there would need to be some tweaking done, but it looks like they could still get three fields to work) and the concourses turned into a museum/shops/restaurant to help fund the upkeep of the park and structure. How was that unrealistic?
    Last edited by quagmire; 01-02-2011 at 12:05 AM.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Only kids who know what used to stand there knows the significance of that land. As the generations go by, it will become another park.

    How is a museum not realistic? I am not saying they should have kept the whole structure as is up. That part was unrealistic( as much as I would have wanted the whole thing left standing). But, they could have just demolished the upper deck and loge section and leave the field seating. And trim the structure back to the 1928 dimensions( saving Gate 2). That would leave enough room for two fields I believe( judging from that picture posted above, there would need to be some tweaking done, but it looks like they could still get three fields to work) and the concourses turned into a museum/shops/restaurant to help fund the upkeep of the park and structure. How was that unrealistic?
    Never mind quags - I think we know where this is going. Remember, we're NEW YORK fans first and foremost.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

    NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

    RYS: "No, I am your father..."

    NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

    RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    ...How is a museum not realistic?...
    i wrote at length about this during the gate 2 debate.

    as ol' casey used to say "you can look it up..."

  4. #64
    I vote for Babe Ruth Field. It was the site of the the House that Ruth Built, now its his field. And there should be a statue of him, with some kind of interactive museum attached to whatever buildings will be created to serve the park, showing clips of the Babe in his youth, when he was built like A-rod, so kids don't refer to him (as I've heard them say) as "that fat baseball player".

  5. #65
    again, who's gonna pay for this and maintain it (statues etc.)?
    obviously it's not important to the nyy.
    'ya gotta pay to see theie displays...

  6. #66
    Here are a couple of shots of the snowy Old Yankee Stadium grounds taken on 1/29/2011.

    Regards,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #67
    How about we call these hallowed grounds "The Yankee Stadium Site" and the current venue the "New Yankee Stadium". I'm just sayin'


    Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the snowy Old Yankee Stadium grounds taken on 1/29/2011.

    Regards,
    Mark

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6

    Heritage Field February 2011

    Lots of activity on the former site of Old Yankee Stadium. Enclosed are some photos from Friday, February 18, 2011.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6
    I did a quick merge of these two photos to show a wide angle view of the site.

    February 18, 2011
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dog River, SK
    Posts
    3,232
    What is the latest projected completion date?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDean View Post
    I vote for Babe Ruth Field. It was the site of the the House that Ruth Built, now its his field. And there should be a statue of him, with some kind of interactive museum attached to whatever buildings will be created to serve the park, showing clips of the Babe in his youth, when he was built like A-rod, so kids don't refer to him (as I've heard them say) as "that fat baseball player".
    You're talking to walls here, Dean. And that is not limited to just the Yankees or the City, if you catch my drift!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

    NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

    RYS: "No, I am your father..."

    NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

    RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

  12. #72
    I can't wait until the day comes when we see a stadium on that site again........

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I can't wait until the day comes when we see a stadium on that site again........


    Unless you're less than 5 years old, I wouldn't hold my breath..
    This will be the last Yankee Stadium to be built in "our" lifetimes..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  14. #74
    Nice photos Yankee Stadium 1923. Starting to get excited. I have 11 nephews and 2 god sons. I plan a family intra-squad game by October.

  15. #75
    #*@! Heritage Field, or whatever they decide to call it.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,725
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
    #*@! Heritage Field, or whatever they decide to call it.
    Better not - there are laws prohibiting that kind of thing. At the very least you might get busted for indecent exposure.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

  17. #77
    Found this on Flickr by Distar97:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 03-18-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

  18. #78
    Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 03-18-2011 at 04:41 PM.
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

  19. #79
    If the timing is perfect, I bet you the Yankees and Giants build a dual-purpose stadium on the old Yankee Stadium site in 30 years. LOL

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dog River, SK
    Posts
    3,232
    ^ Bleah. Multipurpose stadia are a pimple on the face of sports.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •