Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

I could really give a damn what the new park is called. Macombs, Heritage, WHO CARES?!?!? The important thing is that the park is there. What it is called, is really not relevant.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

What's it's called is very relevant, Macombs Dam Park has been in that community since 1899, it's a tradition of the entire neighborhood.

Of course if the corporation from Tampa wants to change the name on the taxpayers financed stadium to pay off their 1.5 billion dollars in bonds faster so the new Macombs Dam Park can be expanded, maintained and improved I would not care what corporate name they put on it.

The only place with shade is by the parking garage, it's almost twenty percent concrete walkways. Did a golf course designer create this with rough and another concrete moat for a walkway?

It's going to take the demolishing of that garage replaced by parkland to even come close to getting it right.
    P1140274.jpg
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    What's it's called is very relevant, Macombs Dam Park has been in that community since 1899, it's a tradition of the entire neighborhood.
    So they care more about the name than the park? Gotcha.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    I could really give a damn what the new park is called. Macombs, Heritage, WHO CARES?!?!? The important thing is that the park is there. What it is called, is really not relevant.

Agreed..
    Whatever you want to call it, it's a thousand times better than what this community had six years ago, and like you said..
    IT'S HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

As a 35 year old man, I'm pretty damn jealous of those kids playing ball on that field.

P1140277.jpg

Don't worry, with absolutely no money allocated to maintain the fields the blue lines will soon be gone replaced with----nothing.
    with the big $$$'s being spent across the street at every opening, $1 from those walking thru (not mandatory) the park for upkeep would help - but not likely to happen. of course the tampa corporation would rather that you spend every $ in their place, not in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Paul W; 04-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    As a 35 year old man, I'm pretty damn jealous of those kids playing ball on that field.

P1140277.jpg

Lol..
    Yeah, I didn't come close to playing on a field like this one as a kid!
    Hey, the local kids had crap to play on for decades.. They deserve this incredible upgrade, after what they had..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

The Yankee players should have a workout on the field every year for good luck, maybe even a exhibition game vs. a local team, Fordham maybe or even a HS team.

I'll say this about the design of the new Macombs Dam Park - it looks a lot better than the exterior of the building across the street, which is really quite ugly on the outside (the inner seating bowl is pretty nice, if you exclude the moat and centerfield).

You'll also note the actual field size is quite a bit smaller than the original Macombs Dam Park. Three outfields bleed into each other. As someone who's played in a few softball leagues in small quarters, that's no fun at all and a recipe for injury.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    I'll say this about the design of the new Macombs Dam Park - it looks a lot better than the exterior of the building across the street, which is really quite ugly on the outside (the inner seating bowl is pretty nice, if you exclude the moat and centerfield).

Could not disagree more.

That was "my" parking garage, back in the 1990's. Up on the roof, that was my friends and my meeting place, we'd get there hours before the games, cooler full of beer in the car trunk, blasting music on the car stereo. The "Kinney Lot", we used to call it. Fond memories.

garage.jpg

Wonderful pictures from you once again DN4L, thanks for sharing them with us.
    The park is a blessing for the kids and I'm sure they are very pleased with the whole thing, and could care less what it's called.
    I was at that stadium across the street and enjoyed the game and the beautiful ballpark too.
    Hooray for Macombs Dam Park and the people who enjoy using it, under any damn name!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    That was "my" parking garage, back in the 1990's. Up on the roof, that was my friends and my meeting place, we'd get there hours before the games, cooler full of beer in the car trunk, blasting music on the car stereo. The "Kinney Lot", we used to call it. Fond memories.

garage.jpg
    isn't that parking garage slated for demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    You'll also note the actual field size is quite a bit smaller than the original Macombs Dam Park. Three outfields bleed into each other. As someone who's played in a few softball leagues in small quarters, that's no fun at all and a recipe for injury.
    It's about as bad as can be. The play area for kids is smaller than the Mets old bullpen, it's like a bad pitch and putt surrounded by excessive roughage, concrete moat walkways which is all about the whatever it is across the street and an un-necessary train station.

It's not a community park like before and neither is the ridiculous AstroTurf soccer field with no trees on top of a garage closed far too many days.

No wonder most officials are running for cover, and people are calling out the Times for softball coverage.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 02:32 PM.

isn't that parking garage slated for demo?
    No, it's in default, then bankruptcy.

They need a full community park, loaded with trees to even START to correct this disgrace if they replace that garage. If those fields have to close one day for demolition the city should claim eminent domain on the 1.5 billion dollar handout to the Tampa corporation and allow everyone in daily with the Tampa corporation paying for all concessions to supply the community.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.

the above poster has become nothing but a forum troll.

the above poster has become nothing but a forum troll.
    I disagree - you may not agree with him on his conclusions, but he does bring facts to the table. And he's clearly in earnest, not just trolling. This remains a real issue.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

The rules are to discuss the topic, that's what I'm doing.

It's not a thread to discuss other members because they post things about the topic you don't agree with.

You asked about the parking garage, I replied what was reported and what I hope happens for the community.
    http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-...oward-default/

Late last month, the corporation said it needed to raid its cash reserves to make its latest payment on its bond obligations. In a letter to bond holders, the corporation said that if it didn't do that, it would immediately default.

Critics like Bettina Damiani of Good Jobs New York agreed with Liu's assessment. "This project was forced through despite the screaming concerns of local residents, transportation experts and good government advocates," she said.

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-ne...n=morelikethis

But taxpayers have been hurt. According to public documents and two separate analyses, the Bronx Parking Development company owes the city $17 million in back rent and other payments. The city is paying $195 million to replace the parkland it gave to the Yankees.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.

No, it's in default, then bankruptcy.

They need a full community park, loaded with trees to even START to correct this disgrace if they replace that garage. If those fields have to close one day for demolition the city should claim eminent domain on the 1.5 billion dollar handout to the Tampa corporation and allow everyone in daily with the Tampa corporation paying for all concessions to supply the community.
    The small trees planted around the field are there with the intention of becoming big trees, to make it look more like a park. I'm sure when Macombs Dam Park opened over 100 years ago, the trees were that small too.

I cant say I disagree with your point though. They tore down a Bronx park to build a Yankees park; and replaced a lot of potential parkland with a lot of baseball tributes. No matter how nice the place looks, those giant walkways around the field(s) could have been utilized much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgweiss View Post
    The small trees planted around the field are there with the intention of becoming big trees, to make it look more like a park. I'm sure when Macombs Dam Park opened over 100 years ago, the trees were that small too.
    Agree with your overall point, but there are major differences to a hundred years ago.

http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/BrokenPromises.pdf
    page 3 (last paragraph)
    As noted in the project's environmental impact statement
    (EIS), the health benefits from the replacement trees alone won't be realized for decades, if ever.

You cannot plant trees on top of an artificial surface that sits on a roof top parking garage. The soccer fields in 2006 were surrounded by a true park of green trees.

These three ball-fields images reflect very few trees but perhaps what is planted does take.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast