Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 676 to 700 of 954

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

  1. #676
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dog River, SK
    Posts
    2,993
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    SORRY TO ALL YOU YANKEE HATERS OUT THERE, BUT THANK GOD FOR NYS!!!!!!!!!
    Seconded.

    Thank God for NYS and Heritage Field.

    So there.
    In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.

  2. #677
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    Seconded.

    Thank God for NYS and Heritage Field.

    So there.


    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  3. #678
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    They already did hire me, and all the people who paid taxes for this and MaCombs Dam Park.

    If they are so successful they should have paid for their own unnecessary stadium instead of hiring the taxpayers while they were out spending 500m dollars on Sabathtia, Texiara and Burnett the same week they ran to the City Council for hundreds of millions more of our money.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009...x-free-bonds/2

    "You may want a new Yankee Stadium, or you may not. But whatever side you come down on, remember that it's your money that's going to build it. The Yankees are alone in insisting that it's Yankee money. Even NYC officials now admit the truth of what we've been saying, that taxpayer dollars are tearing down The House That Ruth Built and replacing it with The House That You Built.

    "Here's how they do it. The city sends the Yankees a property tax bill like everyone else gets. The Yankees write a check (about $70 million a year) to the city for that amount, just like everyone else. But next, unlike you or I, the city winks and sends that check to the Yankees' bankers to pay off the $1.4 billion mortgage, plus the $1.4 billion in interest on the new Stadium. You or I can't get that deal, but the Yankees did.

    "And they got a lot more. The got an additional $575 million directly to build parking garages and sewers and other stuff for the new Stadium. They don't have to pay sales tax and mortgage recording taxes that every other taxpayer pays and they get interest rate subsidies. That's an additional taxpayer subsidy of about $350 million.

    "And New York City now concedes that it's taxpayer money. The city IDA, in sworn statements, says, "The City has chosen to use its property taxes . to pay for the financing of the construction and operation of the Stadium." We dug those statements out after both the city and the Yankees put out press releases that repeated what we knew to be untrue about whose money was being spent.
    Yes, many business' get deals like that all over the country...you may not like it. I do not solely blame the corporations or sports teams for taking special deals when offered, surprise they are looking out for themselves first. It happens where I live as well. Your problem really lies with the politicians/city leaders in your area, not the Yankees.
    I'm sure there are many things, wasteful things you pay taxes for, but you are singling out this cause only. To say you are "hired" by the Yankees because you pay taxes is an incorrect use of the word.
    However I do respect your opposition, everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs.

  4. #679
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    If my tax dollars are going to be spent on something, I'd rather have them spent on the New York Yankees, than a lot of other things.
    It's my understanding that you live on Long Island. If this is true, none of your tax dollars go to the Yankees.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  5. #680
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for sharing another great photo Gary (even if it is the Mets at Shea Stadium) and congrats on a great catch!
    Regarding paying taxes for the Yankees, if 55% of Americans today do NOT pay Federal Income Tax than exactly who is paying?
    Could it be the people sitting in the moat or in the luxury seats? With all the waste, graft and theft I'd rather see my taxes go into New Yankee Stadium than into some politicians' pockets.

  6. #681
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    It's my understanding that you live on Long Island. If this is true, none of your tax dollars go to the Yankees.




    First off, I spend a lot of money on full season tickets (something I never did in RYS), and I'm sure some of that money that I spend goes towards their low interest bond loan from the "tax paying public" that the Steinbrenner's are paying themselves. So my money "does" go towards the cost(s) of this BEAUTIFUL building.
    And I'm sure that some my tax dollars go towards things that I don't personally benefit from that other people do, like school taxes. But I don't "whine and complain" about it because there are a lot of benefits from public education. For instance, the children who go to these public schools, who are not my own.

    Second, (whether you like it or not), more people are benefiting from NYS than when RYS was still standing. The track is 100 times better, the fields in Heritage Park are 100 times better than those "weed infested" dirt fields that NYS has replaced. The whole area looks so much nicer, and is so much better than before, that it's laughable to criticize it and state the community was better off with the way it was, pre-2006.
    But this really isn't about tax dollars, or what's best for the local kids. It's about your hatred towards the New York Yankees, and your bitterness that NYS is a far better ball park, than your "counterfeit, Dodgers' history rip off, that has no Mets soul, FAKE EBBETS FIELD FAIL"!!!

    PS: I thought we agreed to ignore each other??!!!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  7. #682
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Second, (whether you like it or not), more people are benefiting from NYS than when RYS was still standing. The track is 100 times better, the fields in Heritage Park are 100 times better than those "weed infested" dirt fields that NYS has replaced. The whole area looks so much nicer, and is so much better than before, that it's laughable to criticize it and state the community was better off with the way it was, pre-2006.
    You mean the museum piece that no one will use without permits?

    Funny, I think it looked much nicer and more sprawling back in those pictures from the late 1990s-early 2000s. Yeah it needed to be cleaned up a bit, but go complain to the Parks & Rec department or neighborhood watch groups.

    It wasn't the Yankees' job to replace it with some perpetually sanitized museum piece where if you wanted to replicate the Can't Buy Me Love sequence of A Hard Day's Night you could, complete with George's "Sorry we hurt your field mister" tag at the end:



    In fact, as I said a few pages back, it would be pretty much impossible to do what a group of Met fans did for Gary Carter ON THAT field. I mean what if you wanted to make a tradition of honoring Thurman Munson, or Lou Gehrig, or Mickey Mantle or The Babe himself, or any deceased ex-Yankee that played in either OYS or RYS by having a little organized makeshift memorial tribute on their "office" on the anniversary of their passing, or birth or well known date of something they did in that Stadium (July 4th for Gehrig for example). You simply can not, and as long as the restrictions are in place, never do that.

    You can however in the Citi Field parking lot. Which again you keep ignoring the fact that I've brought up several times that they do wheelchair softball events there often. Will not be holding my breath for regularly scheduled local events such as HS championship series and the like at Heritage Park.

  8. #683
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    You mean the museum piece that no one will use without permits?

    Funny, I think it looked much nicer and more sprawling back in those pictures from the late 1990s-early 2000s. Yeah it needed to be cleaned up a bit, but go complain to the Parks & Rec department or neighborhood watch groups.

    It wasn't the Yankees' job to replace it with some perpetually sanitized museum piece where if you wanted to replicate the Can't Buy Me Love sequence of A Hard Day's Night you could, complete with George's "Sorry we hurt your field mister" tag at the end:



    In fact, as I said a few pages back, it would be pretty much impossible to do what a group of Met fans did for Gary Carter ON THAT field. I mean what if you wanted to make a tradition of honoring Thurman Munson, or Lou Gehrig, or Mickey Mantle or The Babe himself, or any deceased ex-Yankee that played in either OYS or RYS by having a little organized makeshift memorial tribute on their "office" on the anniversary of their passing, or birth or well known date of something they did in that Stadium (July 4th for Gehrig for example). You simply can not, and as long as the restrictions are in place, never do that.

    You can however in the Citi Field parking lot. Which again you keep ignoring the fact that I've brought up several times that they do wheelchair softball events there often. Will not be holding my breath for regularly scheduled local events such as HS championship series and the like at Heritage Park.



    For the record, I do Citi Field, and I have an "A" 20 game Mets package plan, because I love baseball, and I LOVE watching it in these two brand new, state of the art facilities.
    I made the "Fake Ebbets Field" comment, because the "self proclaimed" best ballpark fotog, who constantly, and boringly bashes NYS, only then to proclaim that he shows respect through his photos (what a joke!), broke the rules by directly commenting to one of my posts.
    Last edited by DN4L; 02-22-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  9. #684
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    Yes, many business' get deals like that all over the country...you may not like it. I do not solely blame the corporations or sports teams for taking special deals when offered, surprise they are looking out for themselves first. It happens where I live as well. Your problem really lies with the politicians/city leaders in your area, not the Yankees.
    I'm sure there are many things, wasteful things you pay taxes for, but you are singling out this cause only. To say you are "hired" by the Yankees because you pay taxes is an incorrect use of the word.
    However I do respect your opposition, everyone is entitled to their thoughts and beliefs.
    Feelings mutual on respect, differing thoughts and beliefs.

    Having written that, I feel the wordage is perfect and your point the Yankees should hire me in my view already happened when my money went to them when many claim they make plenty of revenue already.

    Sorry, but I also cannot put this on the politicians, Fernando Ferrer fought Steinbrenner at every turn for decades.
    http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/23/ny...the-bronx.html

    This was about a bully threatening the city for decades, going back to less than ten years after the taxpayers spent 100m dollars for the renovation. This was never some offer by NYC because something needed to get done or because the building was unsafe or not economically viable. If anything it was the exact opposite of 1971 renovation plan because this time the Yankees demanded a taxpayer funded Yankee neighborhood inside it's walls to take everything possible it could away from the business community that were there for generations.

    As for the garages next to MaCombs Dam Park (topic) NYC already is talking a new hotel and looking for developers as of Nov 15th so this field may well be closed again (or relocated) for more demolition and construction based on what could be coming.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...rage-new-hotel
    Last edited by WEB; 02-23-2012 at 11:07 AM.

  10. #685
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,018
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    I made the "Fake Ebbets Field" comment, because the "self proclaimed" best ballpark fotog, who constantly, and boringly bashes NYS, only then to proclaim that he shows respect through his photos (what a joke!), broke the rules by directly commenting to one of my posts.
    1) My respect is shown to the one true Yankee Stadium, the one which closed in 2008 and was subsequently demolished, and to the neighborhood in which it sat.

    2) I would like to know which of the "rules," e.g., the Baseball Fever policy, I have violated by commenting on one of your posts. Please show me the applicable rule, preferably with a direct quote and a link to the source so that it can be independently verified. (The rules do specifically prohibit personal attacks, as I'm sure you're aware.) If there is, in fact, a rule that says I can't directly comment on your posts, then there has to be a similar rule forbidding you from commenting on my posts. It works both ways.
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

  11. #686
    Can anyone post full images of the parking garage next to the New MaCombs Dam Park permit-only field and the amount of land it actually occupies, from the past it's like a Yankee Stadium itself from outfield to home-plate over several levels.

    I have a couple and remember one during the renovation as it was under construction.

    Keller_A_BronxHotel600.jpg

    One article on the hotel had some interesting analysis:
    Because the site’s current zoning status does not allow for hotel use, the city’s zoning board would have to approve zoning changes. Officials said they did not know how long it would take before the project would begin construction since the city must make a formal request for proposals, and then accept bids and make a final decision. Lesnick said it could take years before construction begins.
    Last edited by WEB; 02-23-2012 at 11:05 AM.

  12. #687
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    ...sports teams for taking special deals when offered...
    "offered" after sports franchises threaten to move or other arm twisting, those "offerings" usually turn out to be sweetheart/inside deals that only benefit the franchise - low rent, bad revenue split, "pilots" etc.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  13. #688
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    "offered" after sports franchises threaten to move or other arm twisting, those "offerings" usually turn out to be sweetheart/inside deals that only benefit the franchise - low rent, bad revenue split, "pilots" etc.
    Oh I agree, they can still say no we are not going to do that....but they rarely do.

  14. #689
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    ...Heritage Park are 100 times better than those "weed infested" dirt fields that NYS has replaced...
    anyone (including my father) could use those 4 fields without having to pay for permits and reserve days/weeks/months in advance.
    now with one less field, kids can't get a pickup game together at the spur of the moment which is the best way to learn any game - not the overly regimented/mommy-fied/win-first-learn-later way that is turning kids off to the game these days.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  15. #690
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    Oh I agree, they can still say no we are not going to do that....but they rarely do.
    therein lies the root problem...
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  16. #691
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    ...memorial tribute on their "office" on the anniversary of their passing, or birth or well known date of something they did in that Stadium (July 4th for Gehrig for example). You simply can not, and as long as the restrictions are in place, never do that.
    You can however in the Citi Field parking lot...
    only as long as it's in winter or when they are on the road.
    doubt that what ended up at the plate location would have been tolerated if it impeded the movement of revenue producing cars.
    bet gary would have preferred money spent for a memorial in a parking lot be better spent on his foundation -
    http://www.garycarter.org/home.html - with a tax deduction to boot.

    sentimentality is tolerated as long as it doesn't get in the way of business, remember mlb is a business...
    Last edited by Paul W; 02-28-2012 at 12:00 AM.
    the turd in the punchbowl
    reality really sucks.
    enjoy the game more...

  17. #692
    [QUOTE=Paul W;1984289]
    only as long as it's in winter or when they are on the road.
    doubt that what ended up at the plate location would have been tolerated if it impeded the movement of revenue producing cars...

    sentimentality is tolerated as long as it doesn't get in the way of business, remember mlb is a business...
    You would think that would be the way to do it in ANY GIVEN parking lot, paid or not though. Yes Americans do have the right to assemble, but at the same time...say a suburban corporate office building complex, you are going to tick quite a few people off if you are assembling in that lot around noon-time on a Wednesday. It may be free to park, but it's still private property.

    No need to bring the business aspect of everything about baseball in 2012 into this part of the conversation.

    And yeah, if Carter had died during the season, the Mets would be well within their rights to turn The 7 Line, or whomever was organizing it down, IF they wanted to do it during the evening as a game, or any kind of event is going on inside the stadium, it could be a High School Championship game, or some company is having an event with clients and customers and are using the field for batting practice/softball, where the parking is concentrated closer to the tennis center rather than the Shea markers. But that's not greed, that's common sense.

    Hey this is a time where this lot is going to be filled and traffic flowing, no way are you impeding that, and causing us headaches from people complaining that you are blocking them from parking or getting in or out of the stadium.
    Last edited by SteveJRogers; 02-28-2012 at 08:11 AM.

  18. #693
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    anyone (including my father) could use those 4 fields without having to pay for permits and reserve days/weeks/months in advance.
    now with one less field, kids can't get a pickup game together at the spur of the moment which is the best way to learn any game - not the overly regimented/mommy-fied/win-first-learn-later way that is turning kids off to the game these days.


    So now they have to get a permit..
    What's the big deal?
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  19. #694
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    2,181
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    So now they have to get a permit..
    What's the big deal?
    That is the big deal.

  20. #695
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCropp View Post
    That is the big deal.

    It's not like you're applying for a written, and road test for a driver's license.. It's a simple permit to play baseball on the field(s).
    It's done on everywhere on Long Island, and it's a sinch. Plus, it keeps the "riff raff" from destroying the field(s).
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  21. #696
    Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    So now they have to get a permit..
    What's the big deal?
    Because you can't do this:

    image002.jpg

    image016.jpg

    20bronx_190.jpg

    3246976810_5e7aea0135.jpg

    t1_field-01.jpg

    Sorry we hurt your field mister...
    -George Harrison "A Hard Day's Night"

  22. #697
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Because you can't do this:

    image002.jpg

    image016.jpg

    20bronx_190.jpg

    3246976810_5e7aea0135.jpg

    t1_field-01.jpg

    Sorry we hurt your field mister...
    -George Harrison "A Hard Day's Night"
    This whole argument is a joke.
    There's not going to be a permit checker at the field 24/7. The only thing the permit changes is that if someone shows up with a permit and there is a game already going on without one, the game without one has to leave. That's it. Little-leagues will all have permits,as will any other organized league playing there - but at the same time pickup games will be able to be played- so long as no one else has reserved the field. It works the same way at every other park in america. I'm sure Babe Ruth field prior to 2006 was able to be reserved via permit as well.

  23. #698

  24. #699
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,699

    Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    Because you can't do this:



    image016.jpg


    Sorry we hurt your field mister...
    -George Harrison "A Hard Day's Night"





    With that humungous puddle, I wouldn't want to... LMAO!!!
    PS: I love the Beatles, so keep the Beatle quotes coming..
    Here's one for you.. "You'll never know how much I really love you.. You'll never know how much I really care." -George Harrison "Do You Want To Know A Secret"
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  25. #700
    Gotta love the "Haters Gonna Hate" defense when prompted with actual facts and data.

    Wouldn't shock me to see puddles like that on the museum piece after real bad storms.

    And it is true, all things must pass, but there is something about this that makes me shake my head and say isn't a pity. I mean all those years ago you could do things on those fields and now its all about the taxman and fat piggies. It does make you think what is life when it comes down to it. But at the end of the day, any road that is taken hopefully leads to that field being permanently unlocked!

Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •