Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

This thread is in no way intended to suggest that we end the discussion concerning the demolition of the original Yankee Stadium. What ever the NYC parks commission has planned in lieu of a venue which had hosted 100 World Series games, 3 Papal visits, Schmeling vs. Louis and the "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in NFL history just to name a few--The memory of what Heritage field replaces is too important to be ignored or forgotten simply because the physical structure has been razed to or buried under the ground.

However, as other members have noted, the demolition of OYS appears to be complete. A completion date for H.F. has also been targeted. So perhaps a Heritage Field thread would be better suited in documenting the transition now underway:

photo Uploaded on June 22, 2010
    by NYadiO1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/3664676...81212/sizes/l/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 06-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

Rendering of the park:

Old Yankee Stadium Park Construction

The official thread dedicated to the construction, design, and criticism of Old Yankee Stadium Park.

The Groundbreaking Ceremony will be being held today (6/29/10), marking the beginning of the Old Yankee Stadium Park, and official end of Old Yankee Stadium.

Latest photos courtesy of DN4L:

Last edited by locke40; 06-29-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Old Yankee Stadium Park

The official name is "Old Yankee Stadium Park" and not Heritage Field. The Parks Department changed the name after several members of this site lobbied for the name change.

Is there any footage or photos from today's "grounds breaking" ceremony?

It will be fun to walk across that park someday, and stand in the middle of what used to be the field at OYS/RYS..
    Just like it's interesting to stand on the markers of home plate, the pitcher's mound, 1st, 2nd & 3rd base, of old Shea, in Citi Field's parking lot.

Which you certainly can't do at the original sites of Ebbets Field & the Polo Grounds!
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Groundbreaking Held For Field At Original Yankee Stadium

By: NY1 News

A groundbreaking ceremony is being held to begin work on Heritage Field, a park to be built on the footprint of the original Yankee Stadium.

The 11-acre park will feature three grass fields, including one in the exact spot of the field at the old stadium.

It will also include, bleachers, extra lighting, a walking path, and play area for younger kids.

Construction is expected to be complete by fall of 2011.

Ok thanks for the info..

It won't be completed until the fall of next year??
    You would think that it wouldn't take so long, and it would be open by next spring, at the latest..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

I really hate the name Heritage Field - it smacks of a spring training site somewhere in the southwest, not New York City.

Something simple like Stadium Field would be fine....

Also, it's really too bad it's hemmed in by hideous parking garages (albeit one with a field on top) - are they keeping the old one to the south?
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    By: NY1 News

A groundbreaking ceremony is being held to begin work on Heritage Field, a park to be built on the footprint of the original Yankee Stadium.

The 11-acre park will feature three grass fields, including one in the exact spot of the field at the old stadium.

It will also include, bleachers, extra lighting, a walking path, and play area for younger kids.

Construction is expected to be complete by fall of 2011.
    The proposal does not include the playing field to be in the exact location of the original field. The Media and/or Parks can never get the story right.

As you can see with the spot marked for Lou Gehrig as well as the overlay of the field.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 06-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by locke40 View Post
    The official name is "Old Yankee Stadium Park" and not Heritage Field. The Parks Department changed the name after several members of this site lobbied for the name change.
    When did this happen? I did a Google search and I couldn't find anything. I hope it's true, though... when I hear "Heritage Field" the first thing I think of is the auction house - must be my collector's mentality.

But I did find this interesting bit regarding the park that will be built across from Gate 6, while checking out the Parks Department website to see if they indicated a new name for the Yankee Stadium site...

Located on what were formerly parking lots, these pocket parks are currently under construction. The site on the northern side of 157th street will feature a custom play equipment, spray showers, lighting, benches, a drinking fountain, and landscaping (designed to highlight the existing Yankee Mural). Once installed, it will be possible for a passing subway to trigger the spray showers.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_...velopment.html
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    It won't be completed until the fall of next year??
    You would think that it wouldn't take so long, and it would be open by next spring, at the latest..
    That's to allow me more time to get up there and take pictures...
    X
    This is home now - Citi Field, capacity 41,800 - and every seat in this ballpark seemingly filled, some standees as well, anticipating a piece of history as delivered by Mike Pelfrey, the 25-year-old from Wichita, Kansas. Into a windup, his first pitch in the history of Citi Field, a fastball for a called strike to Jody Gerut. Gerut off to a .214 start with no homers and one RBI. - Howie Rose calls the very first pitch thrown at Citi Field, April 13, 2009

Won't the bleachers take up 'valuable green space'?
    I think the neighbors will be outraged at the inclusion of anything that will take away from parkland.

looks like it'll be a nice facility when completed...too bad it had to come at the expense of the old lady...

Maybe this was brought up previously but...If they plan on including an outline of the original Yankee Stadium field drawn with contrasting grass--why cant that just be the field--or why cant they just situate the actual infield there instead of having the overlap as shown in the renderings?
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    I really hate the name Heritage Field - it smacks of a spring training site somewhere in the southwest, not New York City.

Something simple like Stadium Field would be fine....

Also, it's really too bad it's hemmed in by hideous parking garages (albeit one with a field on top) - are they keeping the old one to the south?
    I actually agree with you, Heritage Field sounds like some team's minor league or spring training stadium. They should name it Stadium Field or Stadium Park like you said.

And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneslatts View Post
    I think the neighbors will be outraged at the inclusion of anything that will take away from parkland.
    I'm wondering how the neighbors will be able to put up with the noise from the skateboard park that's being built on the south side of 157th Street (diagonally across the street from Gate 6).

Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.
    Which I think is good because they'll "frame" the site of the original stadium, making it easier to visualize that there actually used to be a ballpark there.
    X

Here's a photo from today's ceremony, that I found on the internet...

I'd like to see one infield in the exact location where either OYS's or RYS's was (albeit it may be raised to street level).

Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 06-29-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    I'd like to see one infield in the exact location where either OYS's or RYS's was (albeit it may be raised to street level).
    I don't think they're raising it to street level. just building a slope down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    When did this happen? I did a Google search and I couldn't find anything. I hope it's true, though... when I hear "Heritage Field" the first thing I think of is the auction house - must be my collector's mentality.

But I did find this interesting bit regarding the park that will be built across from Gate 6, while checking out the Parks Department website to see if they indicated a new name for the Yankee Stadium site...

Located on what were formerly parking lots, these pocket parks are currently under construction. The site on the northern side of 157th street will feature a custom play equipment, spray showers, lighting, benches, a drinking fountain, and landscaping (designed to highlight the existing Yankee Mural). Once installed, it will be possible for a passing subway to trigger the spray showers.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_...velopment.html
    I just went through months of posts on the Yankee Stadium Demolition page, but did not find what I was looking for. I am hoping YankeeStadium1923 will see this and attach the letter from the Parks Department (if I am recalling correctly) that stated they would change the name from Heritage Field to Old Yankee Stadium Park. Maybe it never happened actually, and I dreamed the whole thing.

Last edited by locke40; 06-30-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Maybe it never happened.

It seems to me that Pre Renovation Yankee Stadium's Home Plate at Heritage Field would be the pitchers mound and Post Renovation Yankee Stadium's Home Plate at Heritage Field would be 2nd Base am I about right?

Gate 2 Terra Cotta Panels

Looks like elements of Gate 2 may and should end up in the new proposed park on the existing Yankee Stadium site.

In the end it looks as if all who put forth the effort to Save Gate 2 may have accomplished something. Thumbs up to myself and others if this indeed becomes a reality.
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 07-01-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

The name change was suggested at a design commission hearing in February and erroneously reported as fact in a press release by The Committee to Commemorate Old Yankee Stadium.

This was, in all likely hood, nothing more than a miscommunication, as the same hearing also delivered the final nail in the coffin for Gate 2 and the efforts to preserve it.

I have not seen anything beyond its mention at that hearing since then, including the final hearing for Heritage Field in April (might have been May, I'm not positive). So as it stands, we are likely looking at Heritage Field for a final name.

Richard

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast