Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Heritage Field Site Plan

Nothing too new, but these renderings look a little different
    Link: http://www.nycedc.com/PressRoom/Pres...Images.aspx#19
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    I actually agree with you, Heritage Field sounds like some team's minor league or spring training stadium. They should name it Stadium Field or Stadium Park like you said.

And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.
    Remember, "nothing happened on that site" - that's why it's being called Heritage Field! LOL! It's to honor the "heritage" of BASEBALL - NOT the heritage of the Yankees. You got the Kool-Aid here first. We report. You Drink Up!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Cool

Did a *rough" superimpose of OYS/RYS on Heritage Field and it seems to me at least that NONE of these diamonds will be even close to where Babe Ruth, DiMaggio, or Jeter would have swung from!

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

wouldn't be able to get 3 infields if the oys or rys plate locations were used.
    over the years the plate location was moved and the rys field level was 5 feet lower than oys, so it's anybody's guess where ruth stood.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    wouldn't be able to get 3 infields if the oys or rys plate locations were used.
    over the years the plate location was moved and the rys field level was 5 feet lower than oys, so it's anybody's guess where ruth stood.
    Hmmm..Sounds like the company line.

As far as where Ruth(and Gehrig) stood, field level doesn't matter as much as at least getting the darn(!) longituded and latitude down to within 15-20 feet!

as close as it is, it's enough...

Cool

as close as it is, it's enough...
    If they could get to within a few inches in Queens, and spot-on in Atlanta, they could do the same here. NO excuses.

i know i'm going to regret this, but - why is the exact location so important?

the mets parking lot spaces weren't disrupted by the markers (and we all know fred-o wants the parking $$$'s) and even with that some complained that the markers weren't precise.
    doubt that any ballpark markers are exact, it's the thought that counts.
    i could want a marker where my parents (both nyy employees, 1st to marry) first met, but it's not that important.

isn't the point of this field to get as many young/old local athletes using the field as possible?
    i've recently played in parks with overlapping fields and the more the infields are seperated the less chance of outfield disruptions during play.

i know i'm going to regret this, but - why is the exact location so important?

the mets parking lot spaces weren't disrupted by the markers (and we all know fred-o wants the parking $$$'s) and even with that some complained that the markers weren't precise.
    doubt that any ballpark markers are exact, it's the thought that counts.
    i could want a marker where my parents (both nyy employees, 1st to marry) first met, but it's not that important.

isn't the point of this field to get as many young/old local athletes using the field as possible?
    i've recently played in parks with overlapping fields and the more the infields are seperated the less chance of outfield disruptions during play.
    Re-read post# 57.

kids will be happy playing on the site of the old stadium.
    you want a museum, not realistic.

kids will be happy playing on the site of the old stadium.
    you want a museum, not realistic.
    Only kids who know what used to stand there knows the significance of that land. As the generations go by, it will become another park.

How is a museum not realistic? I am not saying they should have kept the whole structure as is up. That part was unrealistic( as much as I would have wanted the whole thing left standing). But, they could have just demolished the upper deck and loge section and leave the field seating. And trim the structure back to the 1928 dimensions( saving Gate 2). That would leave enough room for two fields I believe( judging from that picture posted above, there would need to be some tweaking done, but it looks like they could still get three fields to work) and the concourses turned into a museum/shops/restaurant to help fund the upkeep of the park and structure. How was that unrealistic?
    Last edited by quagmire; 01-01-2011 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    Only kids who know what used to stand there knows the significance of that land. As the generations go by, it will become another park.

How is a museum not realistic? I am not saying they should have kept the whole structure as is up. That part was unrealistic( as much as I would have wanted the whole thing left standing). But, they could have just demolished the upper deck and loge section and leave the field seating. And trim the structure back to the 1928 dimensions( saving Gate 2). That would leave enough room for two fields I believe( judging from that picture posted above, there would need to be some tweaking done, but it looks like they could still get three fields to work) and the concourses turned into a museum/shops/restaurant to help fund the upkeep of the park and structure. How was that unrealistic?
    Never mind quags - I think we know where this is going. Remember, we're NEW YORK fans first and foremost.

...How is a museum not realistic?...
    i wrote at length about this during the gate 2 debate.

as ol' casey used to say "you can look it up..."

I vote for Babe Ruth Field. It was the site of the the House that Ruth Built, now its his field. And there should be a statue of him, with some kind of interactive museum attached to whatever buildings will be created to serve the park, showing clips of the Babe in his youth, when he was built like A-rod, so kids don't refer to him (as I've heard them say) as "that fat baseball player".

again, who's gonna pay for this and maintain it (statues etc.)?
    obviously it's not important to the nyy.
    'ya gotta pay to see theie displays...

Here are a couple of shots of the snowy Old Yankee Stadium grounds taken on 1/29/2011.

Regards,
    Mark

How about we call these hallowed grounds "The Yankee Stadium Site" and the current venue the "New Yankee Stadium". I'm just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the snowy Old Yankee Stadium grounds taken on 1/29/2011.

Regards,
    Mark

Heritage Field February 2011

Lots of activity on the former site of Old Yankee Stadium. Enclosed are some photos from Friday, February 18, 2011.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

I did a quick merge of these two photos to show a wide angle view of the site.

February 18, 2011
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

What is the latest projected completion date?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDean View Post
    I vote for Babe Ruth Field. It was the site of the the House that Ruth Built, now its his field. And there should be a statue of him, with some kind of interactive museum attached to whatever buildings will be created to serve the park, showing clips of the Babe in his youth, when he was built like A-rod, so kids don't refer to him (as I've heard them say) as "that fat baseball player".
    You're talking to walls here, Dean. And that is not limited to just the Yankees or the City, if you catch my drift!

I can't wait until the day comes when we see a stadium on that site again........

I can't wait until the day comes when we see a stadium on that site again........

Unless you're less than 5 years old, I wouldn't hold my breath..
    This will be the last Yankee Stadium to be built in "our" lifetimes..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Nice photos Yankee Stadium 1923. Starting to get excited. I have 11 nephews and 2 god sons. I plan a family intra-squad game by October.

#*@! Heritage Field, or whatever they decide to call it.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast