Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Really nice pictures Gary. Once again your pictures tell a story of what's going on. Thanks for sharing.
    Today I Consider Myself the Luckiest Man on the Face of this Earth...

“I would like to take the great Di Maggio fishing....They says his father was a fisherman. Maybe he was as poor as we are and would understand...”
    Ernest Hemingway
    “The Old Man and the Sea”

Transforming Ruth's House into a park- By Howard Goldin

Link to article: http://highbridgenews.blogspot.com/2...into-park.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 07-09-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

The article states that there will be an area where people can "discuss", presumably the demolition of the greatest sports venue ever built.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

I posted this in the other thread (YS demolition)
    I vote for or request that heritage field be rename
    BOB SHEPPARD field
    he was present HERE at this site (OYS/RYS) more than any
    yankee player
    Last edited by drdg; 07-13-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drdg View Post
    I posted this in the other thread (YS demolition)
    I vote for or request that heritage field be rename
    BOB SHEPPARD field
    he was present HERE at this site (OYS/RYS) more than any
    yankee player or otherwise

I think former clubhouse attendant Pete Sheehy had Bob Sheppard beat, in tenure...
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    I think former clubhouse attendant Pete Sheehy had Bob Sheppard beat, in tenure...
    you think
    NO you are right
    58 for sheehy who pass away in 1985
    and about 51 for sheppard and gene monahan the trainer
    but my vote is still for bob sheppard

Sheppard and Sheehy, two gentlemen who would never write a book about what they heard and saw. Especially Sheehy! Can you imagine the stories? I remember Mantle saying once that Pete would tell him stories about Ruth and Gehrig. I'd love to hear those, but you have to respect those guys for not selling out. Good job DN4L and drdg, figuring out Sheehys tenure. Theres a photo of him in an early 70's yearbook, sitting with Babe and Lou in '27, and a modern day pic with Fritz Peterson and somebody else. I hope it's not Mike Kekich.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Pete Sheehy's plaque in the Yankees' dugout at Renovated Yankee Stadium

(Photo taken October 30, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    (Photo taken October 30, 2008. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)
    Did we ever get a final answer on if Sheey's plaque was removed before they filled in the dugout? I remember seeing some photos of the plaque still hanging in the dugout even as the stadium began to fall around it. What a find that will be in 40 years if it remained!

Sheehys plaque was removed. I have seen a photo of the dugout during demo, and the plaque was gone. Also, I don't think that the dugouts were filled in, but they were destroyed.

Heritage Field Site Plan

Nothing too new, but these renderings look a little different
    Link: http://www.nycedc.com/PressRoom/Pres...Images.aspx#19
    "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

Quote Originally Posted by threeyoda View Post
    I actually agree with you, Heritage Field sounds like some team's minor league or spring training stadium. They should name it Stadium Field or Stadium Park like you said.

And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.
    Remember, "nothing happened on that site" - that's why it's being called Heritage Field! LOL! It's to honor the "heritage" of BASEBALL - NOT the heritage of the Yankees. You got the Kool-Aid here first. We report. You Drink Up!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Cool

Did a *rough" superimpose of OYS/RYS on Heritage Field and it seems to me at least that NONE of these diamonds will be even close to where Babe Ruth, DiMaggio, or Jeter would have swung from!

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

wouldn't be able to get 3 infields if the oys or rys plate locations were used.
    over the years the plate location was moved and the rys field level was 5 feet lower than oys, so it's anybody's guess where ruth stood.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    wouldn't be able to get 3 infields if the oys or rys plate locations were used.
    over the years the plate location was moved and the rys field level was 5 feet lower than oys, so it's anybody's guess where ruth stood.
    Hmmm..Sounds like the company line.

As far as where Ruth(and Gehrig) stood, field level doesn't matter as much as at least getting the darn(!) longituded and latitude down to within 15-20 feet!

as close as it is, it's enough...

Cool

as close as it is, it's enough...
    If they could get to within a few inches in Queens, and spot-on in Atlanta, they could do the same here. NO excuses.

i know i'm going to regret this, but - why is the exact location so important?

the mets parking lot spaces weren't disrupted by the markers (and we all know fred-o wants the parking $$$'s) and even with that some complained that the markers weren't precise.
    doubt that any ballpark markers are exact, it's the thought that counts.
    i could want a marker where my parents (both nyy employees, 1st to marry) first met, but it's not that important.

isn't the point of this field to get as many young/old local athletes using the field as possible?
    i've recently played in parks with overlapping fields and the more the infields are seperated the less chance of outfield disruptions during play.

i know i'm going to regret this, but - why is the exact location so important?

the mets parking lot spaces weren't disrupted by the markers (and we all know fred-o wants the parking $$$'s) and even with that some complained that the markers weren't precise.
    doubt that any ballpark markers are exact, it's the thought that counts.
    i could want a marker where my parents (both nyy employees, 1st to marry) first met, but it's not that important.

isn't the point of this field to get as many young/old local athletes using the field as possible?
    i've recently played in parks with overlapping fields and the more the infields are seperated the less chance of outfield disruptions during play.
    Re-read post# 57.

kids will be happy playing on the site of the old stadium.
    you want a museum, not realistic.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast