Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Quote Originally Posted by phishstics View Post
    As for you WEB, why don't we just forget the last 100 years even existed
    Why should the community forget the last 112 years existed at Macombs Dam Park (before ANY baseball stadium) and the incredible tradition created there? The community did not demand any of this. Some of the good people at BBF want to discuss it here too.

The name of this park in 2012, those fields and signs there right now say Macombs Dam Park, a Bronx tradition that goes back to 1899.
    That's what's on the batting cages.
    http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/X030/history

The first Yankee Stadium is gone forever, just as the first Macombs Dam Park is across the street.

It's time for baseball fans stuck in the past to go across the street to where their history has been relocated, and live in the present.

Either that or write the politicians have the taxpayers do something to take even more from the community which from day one was never for it's betterment, as the community and local businesses have made that abundantly clear they have been hurt badly.

Macombs Dam Park will likely never be restored to it's 2006 dimensions and never as good, six years lost and tens of millions of dollars gone.

It is time to move forward.

Let's see some nice images of the 2012 Macombs Dam Park.

Good luck.

If you don't like my on-topic postings, feel free to respectfully disregard them, BF policy is to discuss the post, not the posters.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.

http://161bid.org/

“When you think of spring, you think of baseball. And when you think of baseball, you think of the Bronx,” said Cary Goodman, executive director of 161st Street Business Improvement District, when announcing the upcoming Baseball in the Bronx exhibit at the Bronx Museum of the Arts.

Beginning April 13 and running until May 13, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, in conjunction with the 161st Street Business Improvement District, will host the Baseball in the Bronx exhibit.
    http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2012/..._02_23_bx.html
    Macombs Dam Park needs upkeep $$

“[Bronx Parks] Commissioner Aponte has said that he has not been given any additional staff or funding for the maintenance of the park, and yet it is a large investment that should be properly maintained,” Goodman stated. “Building this park was a great effort, but it has to be maintained.”

Originally planned to be called H Field after the reconstruction, Macombs Dam Park will retain its former name, Goodman said.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    A. It's time for baseball fans stuck in the past to go across the street to where their history has been relocated, and live in the present.

B. Either that or write the politicians have the taxpayers do something to take even more from the community which from day one was never for it's betterment, as the community and local businesses have made that abundantly clear they have been hurt badly.

Um, choice "A" is a much, much better choice, than choice "B"..
    Positive and healthier too..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

A absolute must read...

http://www.nolandgrab.org/archives/2..._the_time.html
    Behind the NY Times's Yankee Stadium story, a rather shameful failure to pursue balance and serve readers, according to an expert and parks advocate

Geoffrey Croft, president, NYC Park Advocates, sends a corrective letter in response to my analysis yesterday of the New York Times's cheer-leading coverage of the belated ballfields constructed next to Yankee Stadium, Yankee Stadium controversy down the memory hole: prominent coverage of belated ballfields, no dissenters heard.

His letter is pretty disturbing--and I haven't checked with the Times-- but I did ask him if he was comfortable with me publishing it, and he said yes. His main point: the Times completely ignored dissenting voices, and that's part of a pattern.

Unfortunately this is not what has transpired, its a lot more irresponsible than that.

On Monday I took Winnie Hu, a reporter known for her non-critical coverage of the administration, on a tour of the area. She experienced the 20- minute walk along highways and the filthy dangerous parkland along the Harlem River to get to the replacement tennis courts from the old ones that had previously been located in the community. She learned these courts - located in the South Bronx- charge up to $80 an hour. She repeatedly said how expensive that was. Ms. Hu was even told by an employee of the tennis concession that the cafe which they are building on city parkland will be for "members only. "

On our hour plus walk she was informed about the permanent loss of parkland in the community including two ballfields in the shadow of Yankee Stadium no less; she saw the parking garage that replaced a 2.9-acre ballfield which is not going to be replaced; She saw the artificial turf field built on top of a parking garage in the asthma capital of America that regularly reaches temperatures of 145 degrees and greater; she was made aware of the $300 million dollars associated with the replacement parks, not $195 million as she reported.

A week before our tour she was made aware of the our original Broken Promises report, which she said she looked at. She was given access to a few draft pages of our soon-to-be completed, updated Broken Promises report, which goes into great detail of the numerous issues associated with this project including the three-year delay in replacing some park facilities and the fact that there is not a single penny of dedicated funding allocated to maintain these parks. Unfortunately the list goes on and on.

"As I mentioned they will be on high spin mode as this has been a major embarrassment for the administration on the highest levels," I wrote to the reporter in an email a few days before our tour. "For a while Parks including Adrian weren't even allowed to respond to media inquires re: the Yankee/replacement park issues because of the all they got caught on. (All requests had to go through City Hall.)"

After our tour she met with seven officials from the city and people associated with the building of H field who were happy to try and make the controversy disappear. The Times complied.

According to the New York Times, everything is swell in Yankee replacement park land. I'm happy the Times reporter thought the fields looked nice, and her reporting discovered people playing on them on the first day they were open felt the same. With the enormous taxpayer funds used to build them and the delay is this really a story, much less a front-page story? Obviously not.

They chose not to report on a story that impacts some of the poorest people in the country. This is shameful, irresponsible, but unfortunately not surprising.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-11-2012 at 06:46 PM.

http://transportationnation.org/2012...oward-default/

On Opening Day, NY Yankees Parking Garages Limp Toward Default

Opening Day 2012

All I can say is.. "OMG"!!!! Heritage Field is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Yankee fans who were there loved it, the children and parents of the community who were there yesterday loved it, everybody who was there yesterday was in awe over it!!!

I used to say that Heritage Field was a "win/win" situation for the South Bronx. Well, O take that back now.. It's a "win/win/win/win/win/win/win/win" situation!!!!
    It was so incredible to walk around (inside) this beautiful park, where Yankee legends of the past played in their pinstripes. (The goose bumps are finally going away this morning... lol)

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Opening Day 2012: Part 2

Opening Day 2012: Part 3

Opening Day 2012: Part 4

Opening Day 2012: Part 5

Fortunately the small protest (very small) to have Babe Ruth Plaza be renamed Macombs Dam Park Plaza has not happened, I'm happy to say.. lol

Opening Day 2012: Part 6

Opening Day 2012: Part 7

Nice pics of Macombs Dam Park, DNL.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

It still kills me that the ballpark of my youth is gone. It has been gone for a few years now and I still have not stepped foot in the new place and I'm in no rush to. First I can't afford it but most important....it isn't the ballpark of my youth. Yes, things change and time marches on but if our mortal enemies the Boston Red Sox can play in a 100-year old stadium that seats 37,000, why couldn't my team continue to play in their stadium from 1921 & 1976 that held 56,000. The renovated Yankee Stadium was Heaven to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Nice pics of Macombs Dam Park, DNL.
    And that's the way it's going to stay forever.

And that's the way it's going to stay forever.
    There's probably a "Heritage Field" somewhere down in the Tampa-St. Pete area, I'm guessing? That's where this corporate brand of "heritage" is owned and managed, anyway.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    There's probably a "Heritage Field" somewhere down in the Tampa-St. Pete area, I'm guessing? That's where this corporate brand of "heritage" is owned and managed, anyway.
    Please change the name of this thread to Macombs Dam Park, the politicians have spoken, the parks department have spoken and the people have spoken.

The signs don't lie.

What was built on both Macombs Dam Park sites since 2006 are just so inferior to it's predecessors in every possible way. Squeeze in three ball-fields with virtually no trees and too many walkways with no place to spend a day in the park unless you are there to play baseball. They cared more about a walkway to original Macombs Dam Park then building this smaller one.

No shade, no trees, no park, just a few slopes surrounding the fields, with cars all over the place behind it.
    Seems like it was designed for no one to go there unless it was to play baseball.
    Not good at all for the community.

IMG_2887.JPG

The NY Times cover up on Macombs Dam Park is getting more publicity:
    http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2012/...-heritage.html

All Is Swell and (Apparently Forgotten) In Yankee Replacement Park debacle According to the New York Times
    “Now nobody’s complaining,” - New York Times "kicker quote."
    http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.co...forgotten.html

"When I talked to her she was so effusive about how beautiful the parks were. It didn't matter what I said her article was already written. She was just so over the moon, so effusive. I don't think she understood. I went on and on and she didn't care." - Bronx Resident Joyce Hogi
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Please change the name of this thread to Macombs Dam Park, the politicians have spoken, the parks department have spoken and the people have spoken.

The signs don't lie.

What was built on both Macombs Dam Park sites since 2006 are just so inferior to it's predecessors in every possible way. Squeeze in three ball-fields with virtually no trees and too many walkways with no place to spend a day in the park unless you are there to play baseball. They cared more about a walkway to original Macombs Dam Park then building this smaller one.

No shade, no trees, no park, just a few slopes surrounding the fields, with cars all over the place behind it.
    Seems like it was designed for no one to go there unless it was to play baseball.
    Not good at all for the community.

IMG_2887.JPG

The NY Times cover up on Macombs Dam Park is getting more publicity:
    http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2012/...-heritage.html

All Is Swell and (Apparently Forgotten) In Yankee Replacement Park debacle According to the New York Times
    “Now nobody’s complaining,” - New York Times "kicker quote."
    http://awalkintheparknyc.blogspot.co...forgotten.html

"When I talked to her she was so effusive about how beautiful the parks were. It didn't matter what I said her article was already written. She was just so over the moon, so effusive. I don't think she understood. I went on and on and she didn't care." - Bronx Resident Joyce Hogi

lmao..

The only, and I do mean only, problem I have with the design of this park is the blue lines on the field. Couldn't they have picked a less obtrusive way to outline the old stadium? The blue does tend to stick out a bit. Could they have possibly used dirt instead? Or a tiny swath of artificial turf or something like that? At least a different color other than blue. That's a bit jarring. Green, maybe?

Oh well. A minor nitpick in the end. Heritage Field is here, Yankee Stadium II is here, there's nothing any of you haters can do about it, so why not just clam up and accept what you've got? It's not as if there's a choice. It's there. It isn't going anywhere. Deal with it.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The only, and I do mean only, problem I have with the design of this park is the blue lines on the field. Couldn't they have picked a less obtrusive way to outline the old stadium? The blue does tend to stick out a bit. Could they have possibly used dirt instead? Or a tiny swath of artificial turf or something like that? At least a different color other than blue. That's a bit jarring. Green, maybe?

Oh well. A minor nitpick in the end.
    Don't worry, with absolutely no money allocated to maintain the fields the blue lines will soon be gone replaced with----nothing.

The signs all say Macombs Dam Park they are not going anywhere so you will have to deal with it. I would not want to cross the street either,
    best to save your money.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-14-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Page 42 of 48 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast