Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

That was "my" parking garage, back in the 1990's. Up on the roof, that was my friends and my meeting place, we'd get there hours before the games, cooler full of beer in the car trunk, blasting music on the car stereo. The "Kinney Lot", we used to call it. Fond memories.

garage.jpg

Wonderful pictures from you once again DN4L, thanks for sharing them with us.
    The park is a blessing for the kids and I'm sure they are very pleased with the whole thing, and could care less what it's called.
    I was at that stadium across the street and enjoyed the game and the beautiful ballpark too.
    Hooray for Macombs Dam Park and the people who enjoy using it, under any damn name!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirljess View Post
    That was "my" parking garage, back in the 1990's. Up on the roof, that was my friends and my meeting place, we'd get there hours before the games, cooler full of beer in the car trunk, blasting music on the car stereo. The "Kinney Lot", we used to call it. Fond memories.

garage.jpg
    isn't that parking garage slated for demo?

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    You'll also note the actual field size is quite a bit smaller than the original Macombs Dam Park. Three outfields bleed into each other. As someone who's played in a few softball leagues in small quarters, that's no fun at all and a recipe for injury.
    It's about as bad as can be. The play area for kids is smaller than the Mets old bullpen, it's like a bad pitch and putt surrounded by excessive roughage, concrete moat walkways which is all about the whatever it is across the street and an un-necessary train station.

It's not a community park like before and neither is the ridiculous AstroTurf soccer field with no trees on top of a garage closed far too many days.

No wonder most officials are running for cover, and people are calling out the Times for softball coverage.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    No, it's in default, then bankruptcy.

They need a full community park, loaded with trees to even START to correct this disgrace if they replace that garage. If those fields have to close one day for demolition the city should claim eminent domain on the 1.5 billion dollar handout to the Tampa corporation and allow everyone in daily with the Tampa corporation paying for all concessions to supply the community.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 02:54 PM.

the above poster has become nothing but a forum troll.

I disagree - you may not agree with him on his conclusions, but he does bring facts to the table. And he's clearly in earnest, not just trolling. This remains a real issue.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

The rules are to discuss the topic, that's what I'm doing.

It's not a thread to discuss other members because they post things about the topic you don't agree with.

You asked about the parking garage, I replied what was reported and what I hope happens for the community.
    http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/wnyc-news-...oward-default/

Late last month, the corporation said it needed to raid its cash reserves to make its latest payment on its bond obligations. In a letter to bond holders, the corporation said that if it didn't do that, it would immediately default.

Critics like Bettina Damiani of Good Jobs New York agreed with Liu's assessment. "This project was forced through despite the screaming concerns of local residents, transportation experts and good government advocates," she said.

http://www.wnyc.org/articles/wnyc-ne...n=morelikethis

But taxpayers have been hurt. According to public documents and two separate analyses, the Bronx Parking Development company owes the city $17 million in back rent and other payments. The city is paying $195 million to replace the parkland it gave to the Yankees.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    No, it's in default, then bankruptcy.

They need a full community park, loaded with trees to even START to correct this disgrace if they replace that garage. If those fields have to close one day for demolition the city should claim eminent domain on the 1.5 billion dollar handout to the Tampa corporation and allow everyone in daily with the Tampa corporation paying for all concessions to supply the community.
    The small trees planted around the field are there with the intention of becoming big trees, to make it look more like a park. I'm sure when Macombs Dam Park opened over 100 years ago, the trees were that small too.

I cant say I disagree with your point though. They tore down a Bronx park to build a Yankees park; and replaced a lot of potential parkland with a lot of baseball tributes. No matter how nice the place looks, those giant walkways around the field(s) could have been utilized much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgweiss View Post
    The small trees planted around the field are there with the intention of becoming big trees, to make it look more like a park. I'm sure when Macombs Dam Park opened over 100 years ago, the trees were that small too.
    Agree with your overall point, but there are major differences to a hundred years ago.

http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/BrokenPromises.pdf
    page 3 (last paragraph)
    As noted in the project's environmental impact statement
    (EIS), the health benefits from the replacement trees alone won't be realized for decades, if ever.

You cannot plant trees on top of an artificial surface that sits on a roof top parking garage. The soccer fields in 2006 were surrounded by a true park of green trees.

These three ball-fields images reflect very few trees but perhaps what is planted does take.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-15-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Agree with your overall point, but there are major differences to a hundred years ago.

http://brk.nycparkadvocates.org/BrokenPromises.pdf
    page 3 (last paragraph)
    As noted in the project's environmental impact statement
    (EIS), the health benefits from the replacement trees alone won't be realized for decades, if ever.

You cannot plant trees on top of an artificial surface that sits on a roof top parking garage. The soccer fields in 2006 were surrounded by a true park of green trees.

These three ball-fields images reflect very few trees but perhaps what is planted does take.
    My point only had to do with the trees around the ballfields. Of course you cannot plant trees on top of a parking garage. LA would look like an oasis everywhere if you could :P

I totally agree..
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Could not disagree more.

Me too.. Another troll.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Me too.. Another troll.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
    Wonderful pictures from you once again DN4L, thanks for sharing them with us.
    The park is a blessing for the kids and I'm sure they are very pleased with the whole thing, and could care less what it's called.
    I was at that stadium across the street and enjoyed the game and the beautiful ballpark too.
    Hooray for Macombs Dam Park and the people who enjoy using it, under any damn name!!!
    I just can't believe they did that. No shame, no conscience went into that decision. Heritage Field or Heritage Park would have even been better than Macombs Dam - even though there is history behind that name also. To anyone using just 1/10th of their brain, the perception of these actions, taken by the City of New York, is that they want to erase any and every hint that a great Yankee Stadium once stood on these grounds. I would understand anyone feeling that way, because that is the truth.

And accordingly, when going there or referring to it here or on any other forum, I will call it "Heritage Field". Those of you that don't get it will just have to deal.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Me too.. Another troll.
    If anyone on here is to decide who is or is not a "troll" it should be a Moderator. Calling someone a troll because their opinion differs from yours is no excuse and is bad web form. Someone please "put that in the books"!
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Actually, that garage was open on opening day. The outdoor valet parking lot across the street from it wasn't open on Friday or Saturday. I can't speak for Sunday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    If anyone on here is to decide who is or is not a "troll" it should be a Moderator. Calling someone a troll because their opinion differs from yours is no excuse and is bad web form. Someone please "put that in the books"!
    Consider it in the books. Name-calling or belittling other posters is throroughly unacceptable and can be grounds for suspension.

Now, I was under the impression that Macombs Dam Park was on the spot where NYS now stands. If I'm mistaken, someone please correct me.

I am temporarily closing this thread until we can get to the bottom of this. Those who wish to clear this up should PM me with their concerns.
    Put it in the books.

Blog Entries
    Okay, it has been shown to me that the official name of the park where Yankee Stadium [I] stood has been officially named "new Macombs Dam Park." Hence, for the pure sake of accuracy, we at Baseball-Fever will refer to it as Macombs Dam Park [II] rather than Heritage Field.

This may seem petty to some, but for those who think that, envision someone referring to your favorite ballpark by an incorrect moniker. It would probably entice you to correct them. So, please try to be understanding and respectful of the accuracy.

References to Macombs Dam Park [I], the place where NYS now stands, will remain in the "What stood there before the ballpark?" thread.

I hope this clears things up so we can return to a civil discourse. Remember, we will not tolerate insults, belittling, nor the demeaning of other members nor their opinions. All such behavior will result in suspensions and/or banishment. Focus on the post, not the poster. (<< I'd like to have that credo framed and posted in big bold letters atop each and every page.)
    Put it in the books.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Baseball pays tribute to pioneer Robinson

Earlier in the day, Sharon was joined by Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson and Angels pitcher LaTroy Hawkins, among others, for ceremonies and a baseball and softball clinic on the baseball field in Macombs Dam Park across the street from Yankee Stadium for 200 players who participate in local Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) programs.

Fascinating, the small spectator stadium in the old Macombs Dam Park was dedicated to the Bambino - from the Parks Department:

Babe Ruth Memorial Stadium, dedicated to baseball favorite George Herman "Babe" Ruth, further enhanced the facilities of Macomb's Dam Park.
    As 'Heritage Field' really meant nothing and was easily abandoned, do you think anyone would oppose moving the Babe Ruth name across the street from the rather sterile, nearly empty (on non-game days), wind-blown, poorly-designed, wrapper-filled bus drop-off area to the new green diamonds?

It would be far more fitting and I think a nice compromise for Yankee fans who'd like some connection in terms of the name on the new field....
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

http://www.ultimateyankees.com/MacombsDamPark.htm

Very good current (and historical) site with some excellent images, including a few not posted recently, also an interview with the designers that's worth reading.

MaCombs Dam Park 2 18 2012 (32) [1024x768].JPGMaCombs Dam Park 2 18 2012 (31) [1024x768].JPG

Here's some nice dedication pics from the Joseph Yancey track and field. normal.jpgnormal2.jpg
    Last edited by WEB; 04-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post

So is yours.

Heritage Field was a working name for the project. The name of the new park was going to be Macombs Dam park from day one.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast