Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Here's the thing - Shea, Citi, Queens, the NY-based corporation that owns the Mets: these things have nothing whatsoever to do with 'Heritage Field' (unofficial name) in Macombs Dam Park (official name) at the site of the city's once-most revered baseball stadium - which was sadly removed by the same politicians who withheld parkland from Bronxites for six long years as part of what is often called a "public-private" partnership with that firm from Tampa.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Hey, let's all get together and have a nice picnic at Macombs Dam Park some day and just enjoy it like my fellow Bronxites do!!
    I just hope the sight of NYS doesn't make some too sick to eat, and knowing the Yankee ownership is in Tampa, hasn't left a permanent sour taste in some of our mouths.
    After all, this is all about Macombs Dam Park, right?
    June is always a nice month for picnics, let's do this, you know you are always welcome in the Bronx.

Parkland, parkland, parkland!!!

Guess which "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION" borough out of the five New York City boroughs, has the most "PARKLAND, PARKLAND, PARKLAND"???
    Yep... THE BRONX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After learning this, I'm now pissed! I'd rather have a parking lot at the old site, than another "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland" in the Bronx!!!
    I mean.. How much "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland" does the Bronx need???
    BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I'm just kidding..
    I would NEVER want a parking lot to replace the "location, location, location" of where my favorite baseball team used to play at.
    I'd much prefer a state of the art, gorgeous "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland". Filled with manicured baseball field(s), a playground for the local kids, park benches all over the place to sit in and enjoy the scenery from, a state of the art running track, and a state of the art soccer field for the local community.

"HERE'S THE THING".. The local community never had it better than it does NOW!
    And that includes ALL Yankee fans who attend ballgames at NYS!!!

Once again...
    NYS & Heritage Field is a "WIN/WIN" for the Bronx' residents, and all Yankee fans who live outside of the Bronx!!!!!!!!!

I truly pity the Yankee haters..

http://www.thebronxisbeautiful.com/what.html

• Parks
    Twenty-five percent of the Bronx is parkland much more than any other
    borough. In the South Bronx Joyce Kilmer and Franz Sigel parks green up the
    area around the Grand Concourse, and starting a couple of blocks to the west,
    near the new stadium, Mullaly and Macombs Dam parks run north for over half a
    mile. But most of the parkland is in the North Bronx, site of the 718-acre Bronx
    Park and the 1146 acres of Van Courtlandt Park.
    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanBx View Post
    Hey, let's all get together and have a nice picnic at Macombs Dam Park some day and just enjoy it like my fellow Bronxites do!!
    I just hope the sight of NYS doesn't make some too sick to eat, and knowing the Yankee ownership is in Tampa, hasn't left a permanent sour taste in some of our mouths.
    After all, this is all about Macombs Dam Park, right?
    June is always a nice month for picnics, let's do this, you know you are always welcome in the Bronx.

Naaaaaaaah...
    Why have a picnic at a gorgeous, scenic "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland", "Location, Location, Location"?
    When we could all get together for a picnic at a "PARKING LOT" here??? (To the left)

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

don't want to go to too offtopic but the area to the right of citi field in the above photo has a lot of potential if it ever got developed. Would also be a good spot for an MLS team if they ever wanted a NY team. Queens F.C. anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    don't want to go to too offtopic but the area to the right of citi field in the above photo has a lot of potential if it ever got developed. Would also be a good spot for an MLS team if they ever wanted a NY team. Queens F.C. anyone?
    Yes, people have thought about it.

http://www.nycedc.com/project/willet...-redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Here's the thing - Shea, Citi, Queens, the NY-based corporation that owns the Mets: these things have nothing whatsoever to do with 'Heritage Field' (unofficial name) in Macombs Dam Park (official name) at the site of the city's once-most revered baseball stadium - which was sadly removed by the same politicians who withheld parkland from Bronxites for six long years as part of what is often called a "public-private" partnership with that firm from Tampa.

Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by DN4L View Post
    Guess which "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION" borough out of the five New York City boroughs, has the most "PARKLAND, PARKLAND, PARKLAND"???
    Yep... THE BRONX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After learning this, I'm now pissed! I'd rather have a parking lot at the old site, than another "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland" in the Bronx!!!
    I mean.. How much "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland" does the Bronx need???
    BWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I'm just kidding..
    I would NEVER want a parking lot to replace the "location, location, location" of where my favorite baseball team used to play at.
    I'd much prefer a state of the art, gorgeous "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland". Filled with manicured baseball field(s), a playground for the local kids, park benches all over the place to sit in and enjoy the scenery from, a state of the art running track, and a state of the art soccer field for the local community.

"HERE'S THE THING".. The local community never had it better than it does NOW!
    And that includes ALL Yankee fans who attend ballgames at NYS!!!

Once again...
    NYS & Heritage Field is a "WIN/WIN" for the Bronx' residents, and all Yankee fans who live outside of the Bronx!!!!!!!!!

I truly pity the Yankee haters..

http://www.thebronxisbeautiful.com/what.html

• Parks
    Twenty-five percent of the Bronx is parkland much more than any other
    borough. In the South Bronx Joyce Kilmer and Franz Sigel parks green up the
    area around the Grand Concourse, and starting a couple of blocks to the west,
    near the new stadium, Mullaly and Macombs Dam parks run north for over half a
    mile. But most of the parkland is in the North Bronx, site of the 718-acre Bronx
    Park and the 1146 acres of Van Courtlandt Park.

Naaaaaaaah...
    Why have a picnic at a gorgeous, scenic "Parkland, Parkland, Parkland", "Location, Location, Location"?
    When we could all get together for a picnic at a "PARKING LOT" here??? (To the left)
    You do realize you are engaging in the behavior you are accusing the "haters" of doing. Only worse because you are engaging in behavior that makes you look like an actual hater due to the fact that most, if not all, of the Heritage "haters" have been backing their arguments up with facts, data (some yes might be out of date, but it is data nonetheless) and whatnot.

You've been banging this "what about Citi/Shea" drum in a very trollish fashion, completely ignoring all obvious points people have made about how the two scenarios have NOTHING in common.

Could the Mets have done a nice goodwill gesture and made an... I don't know, call it McGraw Field? Sure, but where is that field/park gonna go? And how, oh HOW are you going to replace all that parking space that got lost when Citi was being built and Shea was torn down, if you wanted to make it right there in the lot? Over at the Tennis Center? Heh, good luck come US Open time! Oh sure just for a fortnight, but if you think jams are bad enough normally, try it if they both shared the same lots!

Sure they have plans and designs for the Iron Triangle, I don't know if parkland is part of it, and it's probably not, but that is a separate project that is currently tied up in several bureaucratic hells that if it WAS replacing...oh say Flushing Meadows Park and the remains of the World's Fair, then yes, it would be very much the same argument as people who are harping about the seediness of this whole project.

Well, it would be if they started the project, but injunctions caused them to leave the project unfinished and Flushing Meadows Park unusable for half a decade. Right now you can still use the various auto shops and whatnot in the Iron Triangle as the redevelopment plans are still in the bureaucratic hells. So even THAT can't actually be used as a comparison.

So the bottom line is, once again, nothing tangible was lost in the building of Citi and the demolishing of Shea that would cause anyone to lose sleep over (eh, okay maybe over finding a decent parking space between mid 2006 and early 2009, but come on, that is nothing to really complain about, unless it took longer than expected to build Citi or take Shea down) Nothing was lost that required legal haggling, deals to be made, community groups to be up in arms about broken promises and just about every other controversial thing about this project.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    You do realize you are engaging in the behavior you are accusing the "haters" of doing. Only worse because you are engaging in behavior that makes you look like an actual hater due to the fact that most, if not all, of the Heritage "haters" have been backing their arguments up with facts, data (some yes might be out of date, but it is data nonetheless) and whatnot.

You've been banging this "what about Citi/Shea" drum in a very trollish fashion, completely ignoring all obvious points people have made about how the two scenarios have NOTHING in common.

Could the Mets have done a nice goodwill gesture and made an... I don't know, call it McGraw Field? Sure, but where is that field/park gonna go? And how, oh HOW are you going to replace all that parking space that got lost when Citi was being built and Shea was torn down, if you wanted to make it right there in the lot? Over at the Tennis Center? Heh, good luck come US Open time! Oh sure just for a fortnight, but if you think jams are bad enough normally, try it if they both shared the same lots!

Sure they have plans and designs for the Iron Triangle, I don't know if parkland is part of it, and it's probably not, but that is a separate project that is currently tied up in several bureaucratic hells that if it WAS replacing...oh say Flushing Meadows Park and the remains of the World's Fair, then yes, it would be very much the same argument as people who are harping about the seediness of this whole project.

Well, it would be if they started the project, but injunctions caused them to leave the project unfinished and Flushing Meadows Park unusable for half a decade. Right now you can still use the various auto shops and whatnot in the Iron Triangle as the redevelopment plans are still in the bureaucratic hells. So even THAT can't actually be used as a comparison.

So the bottom line is, once again, nothing tangible was lost in the building of Citi and the demolishing of Shea that would cause anyone to lose sleep over (eh, okay maybe over finding a decent parking space between mid 2006 and early 2009, but come on, that is nothing to really complain about, unless it took longer than expected to build Citi or take Shea down) Nothing was lost that required legal haggling, deals to be made, community groups to be up in arms about broken promises and just about every other controversial thing about this project.

First of all, I'm not a hater of Citi Field.. If I was, I wouldn't be a 20 game plan holder.

I just find all the negativeness towards Heritage Field on BBF here LUDICROUS.
    Between complaints of the name Macombs Dam Park Plaza being replaced with, Babe Ruth Plaza. The delay with the completion of the park, which is a small inconvenience considering the community has never had a parkland like this before. (Not even close!) As if delays never, ever happen on other projects. Not to mention, the Bronx has more parkland than any other borough, including Queens!

All this negativity and anger towards Heritage Field, while Shea Stadium was replaced by a parking lot!!! (Where's the outrage in that???)
    It's like complaining about your friend's trophy wife's imperfections, when your wife can't hold a candle to her!!

Let me ask you this. What would you prefer to have behind the fence of your own back yard?
    A well manicured parkland, filled with park benches to sit on, paved walkways with plaques that cover historical moments, where you can stroll through on weekends, or after work. Beautiful baseball field(s), a top notch running track where you could exercise on seven days a week, plus, a beautifully manicured soccer field...

Or a parking lot????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rest my case..
    Last edited by DN4L; 04-10-2012 at 02:05 PM.

First of all, I'm not a hater of Citi Field.. If I was, I wouldn't be a 20 game plan holder.
    I didn't say you were a hater of Citi Field/Shea/Old Yankee Stadium/MDP/New Yankee Stadium

I just find all the negativeness towards Heritage Field on BBF here LUDICROUS.
    Between complaints of the name Macombs Dam Park Plaza being replaced with, Babe Ruth Plaza. The delay with the completion of the park, which is a small inconvenience considering the community has never had a parkland like this before. (Not even close!) As if delays never, ever happen on other projects. Not to mention, the Bronx has more parkland than any other borough, including Queens!
    And those points would be valid if the negativeness wasn't boosted by stuff from community activists, articles laying out the whole sordid history of broken promises, backdoor deals and whatnot that plagued the project. No one is saying that stuff like this doesn't happen with most project development, heck the World Trade Center took what, 10 years or so to finally get completed? But since it was a baseball stadium related issue, where else would the conversation be?

All this negativity and anger towards Heritage Field, while Shea Stadium was replaced by a parking lot!!! (Where's the outrage in that???)
    Again, I laid out perfectly good explanations for why there was never any outrage, and you in good trollish fashion, chose to ignore the points that were laid out. Nothing worth fighting over was lost! Well, unless you are WEB who had "Tear Down Citi, Rebuild Shea" as his signature on here at one time. A Parking Lot replaced a Parking Lot. THAT'S why there is no outrage. No parkland taken way, no evictions needed (Iron Triangle/WP Redevelopment issues aside), nothing that anyone could write sob stories about communities that promises were made for and never kept.

Let me ask you this. What would you prefer to have behind the fence of your own back yard?
    A well manicured parkland, filled with park benches to sit on, paved walkways with plaques that cover historical moments, where you can stroll through on weekends, or after work. Beautiful baseball field(s), a top notch running track where you could exercise on seven days a week, plus, a beautifully manicured soccer field...

Again, I answered this for you and you ignored the points I made. Where is this park, that was never planned, going to be? And more importantly, how would you account for the massive loss of parking with both Citi Field plopped on top of, and, if you were going to make Shea's footprint parkland, and what is currently Citi Field's parking lot?

And another thing. Sure, all that would be find and dandy. But as I said, what are the logistics of doing such a thing where Shea stood? What about traffic and parking?

And before you say Iron Triangle, heh, good luck with that, it's already has been tied up with the WP development and the various headaches involved that I'm sure a simple parking lot/garage would still have taken the same amount of time to even get to the ground breaking stage.

You can't just say "hey let's do this" without thinking out the logistics of the entire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJRogers View Post
    And another thing. Sure, all that would be find and dandy. But as I said, what are the logistics of doing such a thing where Shea stood? What about traffic and parking?

And before you say Iron Triangle, heh, good luck with that, it's already has been tied up with the WP development and the various headaches involved that I'm sure a simple parking lot/garage would still have taken the same amount of time to even get to the ground breaking stage.

You can't just say "hey let's do this" without thinking out the logistics of the entire situation.

I'm not saying "lets do this" about anything..
    All I'm saying is, that it's CRAZY to bash the beautiful parkland site where OYS/RYS used to be, when a parking lot now stands where Shea used to be.

I completely understand the "logistics" of not putting a beautiful parkland where Shea Stadium once stood. The location NEEDS parking.
    But why all the nonsense from the haters of Heritage Field?? And please don't mention the history being destroyed. (WHAT ABOUT THE METS HISTORY???? They're not the Washington Nationals!!!)
    It's the "players" of the past who made New York Yankees history, NOT the stadium. The history just happened there, and it continues and will continue to happen in NYS.. (especially with #27!!!)

The New York Yankees are STILL CALLED the New York Yankees..
    It's nothing like Montreal Expos' history being practically "erased" in Washington DC, by the Nationals organization.
    Heck, number 8 was retired by the Expos in honor of Gary Carter. Yet a Washington Nationals player can now wear that number today!
    That is what I call... ERASING HISTORY!!! Something that is not even CLOSE to happening in the Bronx today..

Unless someone from the Parks department or Bloomberg show's up with a sign using the H word, I submit it's time baseball fever should change the name of this thread to what the park's department has put on all the batting cages and adjoining sites.

Macombs Dam Park (former Yankee Stadium I) site.
    The NYC and the Parks Department official signage all say Macombs Dam Park.

The signs on the batting cages since last year all say Macombs Dam Park.

The running track in Macombs Dam Park is correctly named after Joseph Yancey with signage.
    After that it's time to replace the trees and acreage lost, this six year disgrace gave the community a park much smaller than what was there. It's also time to for the heritage of the people those parks were created for to be honored all over this site.

Take out the frieze the taxpayers funded and go store it with gate 2, take out the signs honoring Bull Durham movie.

Billy Joel closed Shea, go move his tribute there.

Put in bricks to honor the people for generations who made Macombs, Mullany special.

They can keep the blue lines but the Yankees pay the tab for that.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Looking forward to seeing some updated pics of the park (no matter WHAT it's called!) when the Yanks come home this weekend...maybe with some actual PEOPLE on the fields!

As for you WEB, why don't we just forget the last 100 years even existed, and forget there was ever a team called the "Yankees" who ever played in a beautiful stadium that once occupied that site. Lobby some real politicians with your gripes, and leave the fine people of the BBF forums alone...some of us just want to see some updated pics of the Stadium and parkland, and have to wade through all your crap to get to them. Please.
    Last edited by phishstics; 04-11-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: RANTING!

Quote Originally Posted by phishstics View Post
    Looking forward to seeing some updated pics of the park (no matter WHAT it's called!) when the Yanks come home this weekend...maybe with some actual PEOPLE on the fields!

As for you WEB, why don't we just forget the last 100 years even existed, and forget there was ever a team called the "Yankees" who ever played in a beautiful stadium that once occupied that site. Lobby some real politicians with your gripes, and leave the fine people of the BBF forums alone...some of us just want to see some updated pics of the Stadium and parkland, and have to wade through all your crap to get to them. Please.

I will do my best in supplying a bunch of updated pics this Friday, phishstics..

You can tell this thread got out of hand when people are talking about placing parkland in citi fields parking lot....when flushing meadows-corona park is literally across the tracks! Get your heads on right folks....

I knew nothing about MDP in over a decade of attending games at Yankee stadium; I didn't even know there was a park. What is there now (in both plots of land) is a fantastic tribute to both Yankee stadium and Macombs Dam park, and a great 21st century upgrade.

Residents have had every right to complain, just as I would if my local basketball courts were closed down for six years to build a new arena in Central NJ, no matter how nice the result is. But the park is built now, and until you are denied access to use it,just enjoy it. Times change, and just because Yankee stadium and MDP's names remain, does not mean that we cannot move forward.

That was AWSOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jgweiss View Post
    You can tell this thread got out of hand when people are talking about placing parkland in citi fields parking lot....when flushing meadows-corona park is literally across the tracks! Get your heads on right folks....

I knew nothing about MDP in over a decade of attending games at Yankee stadium; I didn't even know there was a park. What is there now (in both plots of land) is a fantastic tribute to both Yankee stadium and Macombs Dam park, and a great 21st century upgrade.

Residents have had every right to complain, just as I would if my local basketball courts were closed down for six years to build a new arena in Central NJ, no matter how nice the result is. But the park is built now, and until you are denied access to use it,just enjoy it. Times change, and just because Yankee stadium and MDP's names remain, does not mean that we cannot move forward.
    So true and i couldnt agree more.. U cant please everyone, some guys cant let anything go even if it was for the betterment of the community.. They are stuck in the past and think that all things past are better..

Quote Originally Posted by nymTom View Post
    So true and i couldnt agree more.. U cant please everyone, some guys cant let anything go even if it was for the betterment of the community.. They are stuck in the past and think that all things past are better..

First.. Let me give you a well deserved..

Second.. Hey, I was sad when RYS "AND" (yes, AND) Shea Stadium were torn down. (There was a lot of history that happened inside Shea as well!).
    And I would be bitter today, "if" (and I do mean "IF") NYS & Citi Field were a couple of low budget, cheap looking, poorly thought out, stadium replacements.

However, both are not even close to looking like "low budget looking catastrophes", AND (getting back to topic here) both old stadium sites were done well. Including the Citi Field parking lot, with the markers for the old bases, pitcher's mound & home plate.
    If only the old location sites of the Polo Grounds & Ebbets Field were as "memorialized" as OYS/RYS & Shea Stadium are!!

As for you WEB, why don't we just forget the last 100 years even existed
    Why should the community forget the last 112 years existed at Macombs Dam Park (before ANY baseball stadium) and the incredible tradition created there? The community did not demand any of this. Some of the good people at BBF want to discuss it here too.

The name of this park in 2012, those fields and signs there right now say Macombs Dam Park, a Bronx tradition that goes back to 1899.
    That's what's on the batting cages.
    http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/X030/history

The first Yankee Stadium is gone forever, just as the first Macombs Dam Park is across the street.

It's time for baseball fans stuck in the past to go across the street to where their history has been relocated, and live in the present.

Either that or write the politicians have the taxpayers do something to take even more from the community which from day one was never for it's betterment, as the community and local businesses have made that abundantly clear they have been hurt badly.

Macombs Dam Park will likely never be restored to it's 2006 dimensions and never as good, six years lost and tens of millions of dollars gone.

It is time to move forward.

Let's see some nice images of the 2012 Macombs Dam Park.

Good luck.

If you don't like my on-topic postings, feel free to respectfully disregard them, BF policy is to discuss the post, not the posters.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.

http://161bid.org/

“When you think of spring, you think of baseball. And when you think of baseball, you think of the Bronx,” said Cary Goodman, executive director of 161st Street Business Improvement District, when announcing the upcoming Baseball in the Bronx exhibit at the Bronx Museum of the Arts.

Beginning April 13 and running until May 13, The Bronx Museum of the Arts, in conjunction with the 161st Street Business Improvement District, will host the Baseball in the Bronx exhibit.
    http://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2012/..._02_23_bx.html
    Macombs Dam Park needs upkeep $$

“[Bronx Parks] Commissioner Aponte has said that he has not been given any additional staff or funding for the maintenance of the park, and yet it is a large investment that should be properly maintained,” Goodman stated. “Building this park was a great effort, but it has to be maintained.”

Originally planned to be called H Field after the reconstruction, Macombs Dam Park will retain its former name, Goodman said.

Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    A. It's time for baseball fans stuck in the past to go across the street to where their history has been relocated, and live in the present.

B. Either that or write the politicians have the taxpayers do something to take even more from the community which from day one was never for it's betterment, as the community and local businesses have made that abundantly clear they have been hurt badly.

Um, choice "A" is a much, much better choice, than choice "B"..
    Positive and healthier too..

A absolute must read...

http://www.nolandgrab.org/archives/2..._the_time.html
    Behind the NY Times's Yankee Stadium story, a rather shameful failure to pursue balance and serve readers, according to an expert and parks advocate

Geoffrey Croft, president, NYC Park Advocates, sends a corrective letter in response to my analysis yesterday of the New York Times's cheer-leading coverage of the belated ballfields constructed next to Yankee Stadium, Yankee Stadium controversy down the memory hole: prominent coverage of belated ballfields, no dissenters heard.

His letter is pretty disturbing--and I haven't checked with the Times-- but I did ask him if he was comfortable with me publishing it, and he said yes. His main point: the Times completely ignored dissenting voices, and that's part of a pattern.

Unfortunately this is not what has transpired, its a lot more irresponsible than that.

On Monday I took Winnie Hu, a reporter known for her non-critical coverage of the administration, on a tour of the area. She experienced the 20- minute walk along highways and the filthy dangerous parkland along the Harlem River to get to the replacement tennis courts from the old ones that had previously been located in the community. She learned these courts - located in the South Bronx- charge up to $80 an hour. She repeatedly said how expensive that was. Ms. Hu was even told by an employee of the tennis concession that the cafe which they are building on city parkland will be for "members only. "

On our hour plus walk she was informed about the permanent loss of parkland in the community including two ballfields in the shadow of Yankee Stadium no less; she saw the parking garage that replaced a 2.9-acre ballfield which is not going to be replaced; She saw the artificial turf field built on top of a parking garage in the asthma capital of America that regularly reaches temperatures of 145 degrees and greater; she was made aware of the $300 million dollars associated with the replacement parks, not $195 million as she reported.

A week before our tour she was made aware of the our original Broken Promises report, which she said she looked at. She was given access to a few draft pages of our soon-to-be completed, updated Broken Promises report, which goes into great detail of the numerous issues associated with this project including the three-year delay in replacing some park facilities and the fact that there is not a single penny of dedicated funding allocated to maintain these parks. Unfortunately the list goes on and on.

"As I mentioned they will be on high spin mode as this has been a major embarrassment for the administration on the highest levels," I wrote to the reporter in an email a few days before our tour. "For a while Parks including Adrian weren't even allowed to respond to media inquires re: the Yankee/replacement park issues because of the all they got caught on. (All requests had to go through City Hall.)"

After our tour she met with seven officials from the city and people associated with the building of H field who were happy to try and make the controversy disappear. The Times complied.

According to the New York Times, everything is swell in Yankee replacement park land. I'm happy the Times reporter thought the fields looked nice, and her reporting discovered people playing on them on the first day they were open felt the same. With the enormous taxpayer funds used to build them and the delay is this really a story, much less a front-page story? Obviously not.

They chose not to report on a story that impacts some of the poorest people in the country. This is shameful, irresponsible, but unfortunately not surprising.
    Last edited by WEB; 04-11-2012 at 07:46 PM.

http://transportationnation.org/2012...oward-default/

On Opening Day, NY Yankees Parking Garages Limp Toward Default

Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast