Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 954

Thread: Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

  1. #641
    Those soccer fields are for permits as are the baseball fields and from what I have read are closed for 81 game days during summer.

    http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011...combs-dam-park

    And only paying ballplayers with permits will be allowed to use them - pickup play is prohibited.

    "I'm not surprised," said neighborhood activist Joyce Hogi. "There's no real concern for the parks around here. The community has been spit upon for too long.

    "The park won't be available to the average kid on the street," Hogi added.

    The state-of-the-art baseball and softball fields were originally slated for completion in 2009, the same year the new stadium opened. But work was bogged down by construction delays and red tape.

    The city Parks Department insists it will open the fields this fall. But they won't truly become available until next baseball season.

    A Parks spokesman said they will be off-limits from "mid-October through early November" and during the winter.

    The fields are part of the new Macombs Dam Park, built on River Ave. in the footprint of the demolished old Yankee Stadium. The old Macombs Dam Park was leveled in 2006.

    "We're outraged," said another local activist, Addie Banks. "The Stadium got built on schedule so the Yankees could make money."

    "The people who live in the community and don't belong to organized leagues will now have no opportunity to play," said Geoffrey Croft of NYC Park Advocates. "The vast majority of the public ... are not permit-holders."

  2. #642
    The plan from day one was a neighborhood inside a theme park stadium where it would swallow up an entire community and any related businesses and all the revenue and that includes Stan's and anything else they can put out of business.

    That includes the re-worked version of Macombs Dam Park that is now permit only.
    Last edited by WEB; 02-19-2012 at 12:07 PM.

  3. #643
    Coach Bombay, your town in Bergen County has nothing to do with this. Macombs Dam Park was a free open park to all residents prior to 2006, the recreation areas on top of parking garages where the parks had been are closed on game days, which make up 81 days of the 183 days between April and September, to accommodate fans' cars.

    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

    On top of that this new taxpayer funded Macombs Dam Park is permit only. closed during winter and obviously restricted.

  4. #644
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6

    Minor Graffiti

    A friend mentioned to me last week that the renovated Yankee Stadium frieze had been tagged with a small amout of graffiti so it was no surprise when I walked the site Saturday afternoon. See photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  5. #645
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    122
    Yes we get it, you need a permit to use the field, completion was delayed, and on and on..... Good God, does every thread have to turn into this?
    The park looks great, can't wait to see it this summer.

  6. #646
    And it begins......

    Why give the community a nice park if they are just going to ruin it by graffiti, etc?

  7. #647
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    Yes we get it, you need a permit to use the field, completion was delayed, and on and on..... Good God, does every thread have to turn into this?
    The park looks great, can't wait to see it this summer.
    Sorry, but every thread also cannot not be blanket praise for something that has been nothing but a disaster and a major problem since day one that will continue to be.

  8. #648
    Give?

    Nothing was given to the community but headaches, inconvenience and financial loss for generations.

  9. #649
    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    Give?

    Nothing was given to the community but headaches, inconvenience and financial loss for generations.
    Let me rephrase then....

    Why give back parkland that was taken from the community if they are just going to trash it. The city should have kept it and either kept the old stadium standing or make it a parking lot to make it easier for the Yankees to move back across the street when it comes time to replace NYS......

    On a more serious note, WEB we get it, you don't like the Yankees/ the city/whatever for taking away parkland and replacing it with a new park that has seen delays, etc. I am all for a good discussion, but just repeating rhetoric gets old......

  10. #650
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    Yes we get it, you need a permit to use the field, completion was delayed, and on and on..... Good God, does every thread have to turn into this?
    The park looks great, can't wait to see it this summer.



    "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

  11. #651
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Section 538, Row 1
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyankeefan View Post
    Yes we get it, you need a permit to use the field, completion was delayed, and on and on..... Good God, does every thread have to turn into this?
    The park looks great, can't wait to see it this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    WEB we get it, you don't like the Yankees/ the city/whatever for taking away parkland and replacing it with a new park that has seen delays, etc. I am all for a good discussion, but just repeating rhetoric gets old......
    WEB, understand that many of the people telling you to "get over it" don't live in the neighborhood, they just come up there for Yankee games. So the theft of all-access parkland doesn't affect them personally, and it's easy for them to dismiss your valid points. They'll only see Heritage Field and Macombs Dam Park in passing, on their way to and from Yankee games - it's not like they'll be making special trips on non-game days to use these facilities for their weekend recreation. Why should they, when they probably have nice parkland in their own communities that they can avail themselves of?

    I'm not a Yankee fan, and my opinion of the present Yankee Stadium as a counterfeit, artificial building without a soul is well known. But unlike the home of my beloved Mets, the Yankees' stadiums have been parts of neighborhoods, communities, and I like to think that through my words, and through my photography, I've respected that.
    X
    Archie Bunker: All I can tell you, Edith, is I'm surprised at you! Dragging me off to a moving picture like that! It was absolutely disgusting!
    Edith Bunker: Well, I'm sorry, Archie, how was I to know? I thought it was a religious picture, "Cardinal Knowledge!"

  12. #652
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,435
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    And it begins......

    Why give the community a nice park if they are just going to ruin it by graffiti, etc?
    In addition to the frieze graffiti, someone gained access to the site to scratch their names in the dirt along the First base line on the field nearest the frieze.

    Also the dials located on the slide viewers in Right field aren't operating correctly. Some of the internal images show a portion of a slide and others are upside down.
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

    Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

  13. #653
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    In addition to the frieze graffiti, someone gained access to the site to scratch their names in the dirt along the First base line on the field nearest the frieze.

    Also the dials located on the slide viewers in Right field aren't operating correctly. Some of the internal images show a portion of a slide and others are upside down.
    The whole thing reminds me of Bizarro World - an attempt to create some kind of monument out of park land to a grand and historic Stadium that quite simply didn't have to be replaced. It's a closed off "public" space built to commemorate a brilliant and beloved city-owned building that was callously razed as part of a scheme to enrich a private business concern - a scheme, by the way, run by members of the exact Mayoral administration that hatched it, the same former public officials who now run the Yankees!

    That after six long years, "Macombs Dam Park" has ended up a prettified-but-closed off Disneyesque version of a real park, designed to be admired by passing customers of the new megaplex ersatz Vegas stadium next door - somehow as part of weirdly-warped "tradition" - rather than actually used by the neighborhood that gave up the parkland to further enrich a dynastic family business based in Tampa, Florida seems fitting.
    Last edited by Strawman; 02-20-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

  14. #654
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    WEB, understand that many of the people telling you to "get over it" don't live in the neighborhood, they just come up there for Yankee games. So the theft of all-access parkland doesn't affect them personally, and it's easy for them to dismiss your valid points. They'll only see Heritage Field and Macombs Dam Park in passing, on their way to and from Yankee games - it's not like they'll be making special trips on non-game days to use these facilities for their weekend recreation. Why should they, when they probably have nice parkland in their own communities that they can avail themselves of?

    I'm not a Yankee fan, and my opinion of the present Yankee Stadium as a counterfeit, artificial building without a soul is well known. But unlike the home of my beloved Mets, the Yankees' stadiums have been parts of neighborhoods, communities, and I like to think that through my words, and through my photography, I've respected that.
    I didn't say he didn't have valid points. But, all of his points are being repeated. It's just rhetoric now just like in a political debate. It's just repetitive that's all.

  15. #655
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    I didn't say he didn't have valid points. But, all of his points are being repeated. It's just rhetoric now just like in a political debate. It's just repetitive that's all.
    I'm sorry you see these points as repetitive or rhetoric, however this is an on-going story. That park was supposed to be open to the public by now (it's been delayed for years) and as of Feb 2012 it's still not open and now permit only to use those fields?

    If by summer 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 the Yankees were still in Queens because of Yankee Stadium renovation delays or Mayor Beame/Koch decided the cost of Mayor Lindsay's plan was too much money, I guarantee you would not be calling it rhetoric or wish me to write the Yankees can play at Shea permanently and find a better use for that land or your view is repetitive.

    Seems you also introduced your own politics, that the Yankees are now somehow entitled to both sites (and a future move back there) when in fact the taxpayers paid for everything and take the hits on those billion dollar construction bonds and parking garage problems. As the images I introduced point out if those garages are demolished, it's highly likely another year (or longer) closure of those parks may take place in the near future.

    There is also a very real possibility a development may come along that forces that park to be moved or closed.

    It's MaCombs Dam Park, if people put graffiti on it, welcome to the neighborhood and the police who will deal with it, maybe someone should find another Ray Negron to make that a positive.
    Last edited by WEB; 02-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.

  16. #656
    Mr Dunaier, the quality and respect for your well-known, outstanding photography speaks for itself.

    Thank You.

  17. #657
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    The whole thing reminds me of Bizarro World - an attempt to create some kind of monument out of park land to a grand and historic Stadium that quite simply didn't have to be replaced. It's a closed off "public" space built to commemorate a brilliant and beloved city-owned building that was callously razed as part of a scheme to enrich a private business concern - a scheme, by the way, run by members of the exact Mayoral administration that hatched it, the same former public officials who now run the Yankees!

    That after six long years, "Macombs Dam Park" has ended up a prettified-but-closed off Disneyesque version of a real park, designed to be admired by passing customers of the new megaplex ersatz Vegas stadium next door - somehow as part of weirdly-warped "tradition" - rather than actually used by the neighborhood that gave up the parkland to further enrich a dynastic family business based in Tampa, Florida seems fitting.

  18. #658
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    2,416
    Occupy Heritage Park

  19. #659
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    charlotte, nc
    Posts
    122
    DN4L, you pictures are amazing, great job photographing Heritage Field! Can't wait to see more when the season starts.

  20. #660
    WEB,

    Thank you for your thoughts. If you read earlier threads you'll know how passionate I am about this topic. I haven't posted much in the last 2 years because the Yankees pi$$ed me off so badly by demolishing the House That Ruth Built I genuinely lost interest and it's truly difficult for me to watch a Yankee home game 3 years later because every time I see that generic ballpark I'm continuously reminded of what we lost and will never, ever get back.


    Quote Originally Posted by WEB View Post
    I'm sorry you see these points as repetitive or rhetoric, however this is an on-going story. That park was supposed to be open to the public by now (it's been delayed for years) and as of Feb 2012 it's still not open and now permit only to use those fields?

    If by summer 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979 the Yankees were still in Queens because of Yankee Stadium renovation delays or Mayor Beame/Koch decided the cost of Mayor Lindsay's plan was too much money, I guarantee you would not be calling it rhetoric or wish me to write the Yankees can play at Shea permanently and find a better use for that land or your view is repetitive.

    Seems you also introduced your own politics, that the Yankees are now somehow entitled to both sites (and a future move back there) when in fact the taxpayers paid for everything and take the hits on those billion dollar construction bonds and parking garage problems. As the images I introduced point out if those garages are demolished, it's highly likely another year (or longer) closure of those parks may take place in the near future.

    There is also a very real possibility a development may come along that forces that park to be moved or closed.

    It's MaCombs Dam Park, if people put graffiti on it, welcome to the neighborhood and the police who will deal with it, maybe someone should find another Ray Negron to make that a positive.

Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •